Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ianmeister89

Mar 3, 2010, 7:26 AM
Post #1 of 59 (14461 views)
Shortcut

mooselette??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was hacking through some of the threads on new anchor techniques, and came across the so-called mooselette. Such a strange name. I wasn't able to find any pictures of it on the web so i could dissect it for myself, anybody care to share an image?

moose_droppings

Mar 3, 2010, 7:53 AM
Post #2 of 59 (14446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ianmeister89 wrote:
I was hacking through some of the threads on new anchor techniques, and came across the so-called mooselette. Such a strange name. I wasn't able to find any pictures of it on the web so i could dissect it for myself, anybody care to share an image?

What's so strange about the name.

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 8:26 AM
Post #3 of 59 (14436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

While these overly engineered anchors are novel, there is essentially nothing practical about them. Does anyone actually take the time to build these things? Equalize two pieces, have a third backup, done.

Throw an equalette on two pieces, then back it up in the best appropriate manner:

http://pullharder.org/...belay-anchor-setups/

Josh

edit: fixed link

(This post was edited by bandycoot on Mar 3, 2010, 8:42 PM)

boymeetsrock

Mar 3, 2010, 2:28 PM
Post #4 of 59 (14360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice blog post Josh. Thanks for sharing that.

moose_droppings

Mar 3, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #5 of 59 (14311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone that criticizes these simple anchors actually take the short time it takes to try one? An equallette can be a little stifling to someone the first time or two also.

Toolbox full of tools dude.

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #6 of 59 (14227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Does anyone that criticizes these simple anchors actually take the short time it takes to try one? An equallette can be a little stifling to someone the first time or two also.

Toolbox full of tools dude.

Nope, I haven't tried it. I stopped carrying a cordelette years ago and haven't looked back. It's just something extra, heavy, bulky, and unnecessary. It's like bringing a 2nd belay device, or something dedicated to clipping you into the anchor. The equalette I'll bring on some climbs, but even that stays on the ground quite often. I understand the "toolbox full of tools," but I don't need a reciprocating saw to cut my fingernails.

jbrown2

Mar 3, 2010, 5:42 PM
Post #7 of 59 (14223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think when building this thing youd probably get the "Hey (insert name) are you ok?" one minute later. "Hey! Are you there?" one minute later. "AM I ON BELAY" one minute later. "What The F Are You Doing. I'm Freezing down here!"

moose_droppings

Mar 3, 2010, 6:52 PM
Post #8 of 59 (14190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't saying I quit carrying a cordelette a long time ago and then saying you sometimes carry an equalette kind of double talk. I mean, aren't they both just a long piece of accessory cord. You could configure either with the same piece of cord.

For what it's worth. I tie in with the rope most of the time. I've personally have used both the mooselette and the equalette and find the equalette more complex, but that's only from the experience of taking the time to learn and use both. I've also read most of the threads about the equalette and it's main criticism from many others was its complication. It's simply a matter of what one gets used to by using it or not.

If mooselette = reciprocating saw to cut fingernails,

Then equalette = table saw to make a toothpick out of a telephone pole.
Wink

Lazlo

Mar 3, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #9 of 59 (14158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the point of the moosolette?

shoo

Mar 3, 2010, 7:32 PM
Post #10 of 59 (14150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Does anyone that criticizes these simple anchors actually take the short time it takes to try one?

Why would I do that? It would take HOURS!!!!

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #11 of 59 (14142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Isn't saying I quit carrying a cordelette a long time ago and then saying you sometimes carry an equalette kind of double talk. I mean, aren't they both just a long piece of accessory cord. You could configure either with the same piece of cord.

For what it's worth. I tie in with the rope most of the time. I've personally have used both the mooselette and the equalette and find the equalette more complex, but that's only from the experience of taking the time to learn and use both. I've also read most of the threads about the equalette and it's main criticism from many others was its complication. It's simply a matter of what one gets used to by using it or not.

If mooselette = reciprocating saw to cut fingernails,

Then equalette = table saw to make a toothpick out of a telephone pole.
Wink

You must be trolling if you claim there is no significant difference between a 48" Mammut dyneema sling and 20' (+?) of 7mm perlon.

As for the equalette being too complex, we all have our own opinion. My personal opinion is that the equalette is the easiest way possible to achieve redundant equalization between two pieces, and most people I've showed it to figured it out instantly and switched over from whatever method they were using.

bhp

Mar 3, 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #12 of 59 (14106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cordelette and equalette are configurations of anchors, and are independent of the material they're tied in. In fact the Long anchors book introduces the equalette as tied with 7mm cord. I recently got an 8' 10mm dyneema sling, and I've used it in both configurations.

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #13 of 59 (14082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhp] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand that. I fixed the link above. I had intended to link directly to the equalette configuration that my friends and I use. I specifically use a 48" dyneema sling from Mammut for my equalette anchors, and this is much lighter and less bulky than perlon. Most people use perlon or something similar for their cordelettes, like in the picture of the mooselette above. Still, a 4' sling is shorter than an 8' sling, and the 4' equalette is adequate for most uses I've needed it for.

I've been curious about the strength of the equalette configuration on the dyneema and I've contacted Adatesman multiple times to see if he would be willing to pull test some used equalettes but he has always ignored my inquiries. Does anyone know someone capable of doing such a test?

Josh

moose_droppings

Mar 3, 2010, 9:37 PM
Post #14 of 59 (14032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That's a sliding X with limiter knots, not an equalette. I was trying to imagine how far apart your pro was if you were using a 4' sling with two OH knots and two CH in it on three pieces.

I've used a simple sliding X with limiter knots many times. Your right, sliding X is very simple. The mooselette is just a sliding W with a couple extra knots in it for redundancy.

I'm in no way saying it's an end all anchor design. it's just one simple way to get pretty good equalization that can adjust to different directions of pull utilizing 3 pieces of pro if you ever need to.

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2010, 9:52 PM
Post #15 of 59 (14021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
I understand that. I fixed the link above. I had intended to link directly to the equalette configuration that my friends and I use. I specifically use a 48" dyneema sling from Mammut for my equalette anchors, and this is much lighter and less bulky than perlon. Most people use perlon or something similar for their cordelettes, like in the picture of the mooselette above. Still, a 4' sling is shorter than an 8' sling, and the 4' equalette is adequate for most uses I've needed it for.

I've been curious about the strength of the equalette configuration on the dyneema and I've contacted Adatesman multiple times to see if he would be willing to pull test some used equalettes but he has always ignored my inquiries. Does anyone know someone capable of doing such a test?

Josh

basically, you're looking at the breaking strength of the mammut 8mm at the overhand knot, yeah? I think Fish has pull tested that.

adatesman

Mar 3, 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #16 of 59 (13973 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #17 of 59 (13957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
That's a sliding X with limiter knots, not an equalette.

I've got John Long's book sitting by my bed. I'll try to remember to check, but I believe that what I have linked is EXACTLY what the equalette is. I think I even got the idea of using a 48" dyneema sling because that's what he had in the book. There was a more complex clusterf*** called the quadrelette or "quad" or something, but that's something else I've written off as just way too much overkill.

Does anyone know if Fish publishes results like that, or should I just e-mail him and ask?

Josh

Edit: I want to know the breaking strength at the knots in 2+ year old abused dyneema.

(This post was edited by bandycoot on Mar 3, 2010, 11:16 PM)

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #18 of 59 (13952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

I've got John Long's book sitting by my bed. I'll try to remember to check, but I believe that what I have linked is EXACTLY what the equalette is. I think I even got the idea of using a 48" dyneema sling because that's what he had in the book. There was a more complex clusterfuck called the quadrelette or "quad" or something, but something else I've written off as just way too much overkill.

Does anyone know if Fish publishes results like that, or should I just e-mail him and ask?

Josh

I emailed fish, I'll let you know if I hear anything. I don't think he publishes stuff, but he has a stack of stuff he's snapped in his shop with the failure load written on them.

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #19 of 59 (13945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

I've got John Long's book sitting by my bed. I'll try to remember to check, but I believe that what I have linked is EXACTLY what the equalette is. I think I even got the idea of using a 48" dyneema sling because that's what he had in the book. There was a more complex clusterfuck called the quadrelette or "quad" or something, but something else I've written off as just way too much overkill.

Josh

Edit: I want to know the breaking strength at the knots in 2+ year old abused dyneema.

i'd only add that healyje has some results (from adatesman? I forget...) that show unknotted 8mm sling material degrading year by year. SOmething like 22kn new, 18kn 1yr old 15kn 2 or 3 years old. Don't quote me on those because it's a rough recollection, but after I heard it I stopped using the 8mm skinnies and went to all 12mm dyneema or 5/8ths nylon (cheap, dynamic and strong.) But I still think a system like yours is superior, as long as you frequently replace the sling.

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #20 of 59 (13934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] mooselette?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do replace them since I heard about the degradation. The first pair lasted around 2+ years (now 3+yrs old sitting in the bin), the current pair has been going for close to a year and will be replaced soon. I'd be happy to send in both pairs along with a new pair as a control to be tested to anyone willing and able to pull them. I'm very curious about the strength over time.

moose_droppings

Mar 3, 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #21 of 59 (13921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
I've got John Long's book sitting by my bed. I'll try to remember to check, but I believe that what I have linked is EXACTLY what the equalette is.

Yep, that's a sliding X with further apart than most limiter knots.
I call it whatever anyone wants though, just as long as we both know what it is each is referring to.

bandycoot

Mar 3, 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #22 of 59 (13914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have an example of what your definition of an equalette is? Just curious since we're apparently not on the same page on that one.

ptlong

Mar 4, 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #23 of 59 (13893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh, a knot limited sliding X and an equalette are pretty similar, but there are subtle differences. The main difference is that the equalette does not include the twist that makes the "X" in a sliding X, but relies upon the use of two carabiners instead.

For a photo or diagram you'll need a computer that has access to the website known as Google.

moose_droppings

Mar 4, 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #24 of 59 (13880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually tied with a 20' cord and uses 3-4 pieces of pro. This one is shown with an 8 used to tie off excess/

bandycoot

Mar 4, 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #25 of 59 (13856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moose,

It seems that the only difference in our definition of an equalette is that I use the sliding x at the bottom instead of two carabiners, one on each strand. Outside of that, the "equalette" can be used on 2, 3, or 4 pieces. However, after the first two equalization becomes questionable between all three so I don't see the benefit. I just equalize two pieces and include a third as a backup and dispense with pretending at equalization of that third piece. It's much quicker and simpler that way. I agree, using the equalette to "equalize" 3-4 pieces is overly complex and and in my opinion a complete waste of time. However, as described in that blog post my friends and I never do that. We simplify and move quickly. Thanks for the picture. I remember that from the book now. It's been a while since I read it and I thought there were examples in the book where he equalizes two pieces. Maybe there aren't?

Josh

(This post was edited by bandycoot on Mar 4, 2010, 12:41 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook