Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
GUIDEBOOK?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Zibudizz

Jul 23, 2009, 3:27 PM
Post #1 of 19 (9114 views)
Shortcut

GUIDEBOOK?  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is the new guidebook published??

Somebody can help me with that??

Apparently we ca order it from there:
http://www.chesslerbooks.com/eCart/viewItem.asp?idProduct=8452

But it says: "Due Late 2009"

Thanks!

jakedatc

Jul 23, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #2 of 19 (9082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Zibudizz] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

you didnt see the other dozen threads about this? It's in the works.. it's not out yet. it'll come out when it comes out.. i think ward is pretty tired of people asking

Zibudizz

Aug 6, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 19 (8965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry about that... Hoping I didn't disturb too much with my question.

Thanks anyway for the answer

mnottingham

Aug 13, 2009, 7:10 PM
Post #4 of 19 (8909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About a year after I started climbing, I was told not to buy the (old) guide because the new one was "coming out soon". That was around 2004. Every year it's the same story. New guidenook THIS YEAR. Another year passes, and no new guide. I would not count on it coming out this year, or next year, or the year after that. I'd advise you to borrow a copy of the old guide, photocopy it, and put the whole thing in a three ring binder. That's what I did. Or you can pony up $100 to buy a beat up used copy of the old guide on eBay. The author is sick of people asking? Publish the new guide and his problem is solved.

marc801

Aug 13, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #5 of 19 (8895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mnottingham] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mnottingham wrote:
The author is sick of people asking? Publish the new guide and his problem is solved.
As if researching, writing, checking, and publishing a guidebook is simple or not a massive time consumer.

shouldah

Aug 13, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 19 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think this post from neclimbs sums up the situation pretty well:

"Will you guys give it a F'n rest. If I was the author I would tell you to shove it up your arse. Remember this is a voluntary effort. Nobody owes anybody a thing here. What do yo have to lose by trying a route at Rumney that is not in the current book, a biner? Get a life!"

mnottingham

Aug 13, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #7 of 19 (8874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Research? There's been a new route or two added at many of the crags. Some climbs have had bolts added or new anchors installed. Virtually all of this is well documented online already. We're talking about updates here. The old guide is about 95% accurate. This is a second edition, not a guide that's being put together for the first time. Sure, these things take time, but close to 6 years? I doubt that he will be doing the printing and binding himself....or maybe he has been, that's why it's taking so long......

jakedatc

Aug 14, 2009, 2:23 AM
Post #8 of 19 (8847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mnottingham wrote:
Research? There's been a new route or two added at many of the crags. Some climbs have had bolts added or new anchors installed. Virtually all of this is well documented online already. We're talking about updates here. The old guide is about 95% accurate. This is a second edition, not a guide that's being put together for the first time. Sure, these things take time, but close to 6 years? I doubt that he will be doing the printing and binding himself....or maybe he has been, that's why it's taking so long......

wow.. the douchebag look suits you well. If it's all documented online then you should quit your fucking bitching and go climb on the info that you have.

Ward does have a real job you know.. it's not like he does this for a living. Look at your current book and go see how many fucking routes you climb that have his name attached. He's not going to do a half ass job.. he was held up by the Forest service, he was held up do to some advertising issues.

he's re-doing the guidebook.. he's not amending it. he's adding all new photos.. new lay out.. i'm sure new topo's. He didn't just go do the new routes.. he has updated old routes that have had grade changes and stuff also.

Maybe you should actually talk to the guy and realize how much fucking work he does.

oh and he would warm up on your project barefoot

mnottingham

Aug 14, 2009, 2:06 PM
Post #9 of 19 (8814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez, I can't stop crying. What is "project barefoot?" The OP asks a legit question and people act like he kicked Jesus in the balls or something. Then he posts an apology? Yikes. Come on folks, lighten up. I can't wait to steal a copy of the new guide when it comes out.

jakedatc

Aug 14, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #10 of 19 (8806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mnottingham wrote:
Geez, I can't stop crying. What is "project barefoot?" The OP asks a legit question and people act like he kicked Jesus in the balls or something. Then he posts an apology? Yikes. Come on folks, lighten up. I can't wait to steal a copy of the new guide when it comes out.

There are like 25 threads about this subject. It's been answered a million times BY WARD over on NEclimbs. This is probably his last book he puts out for Rumney.. i'm sure he wants it to be good. and then never have to listen to you guys bitch again.

I was responding to YOU who seem to have no idea what is involved in making a guidebook. especially one for a very high profile and expanded area. you came off as a douchebag

The book will be out when it comes out. that's it.. no asking, crying, bitching, will make it come out any sooner.

qtm

Aug 14, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #11 of 19 (8799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
The book will be out when it comes out. that's it.. no asking, crying, bitching, will make it come out any sooner.

Sure. But if you know it's not coming out for two years, you might be more willing to spend $50 or $100 on a used guide, whereas it wouldn't make sense if it's coming out next month.

jakedatc

Aug 14, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #12 of 19 (8793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Sure. But if you know it's not coming out for two years, you might be more willing to spend $50 or $100 on a used guide, whereas it wouldn't make sense if it's coming out next month.

where have you seen them listed? but according to him all the information Ward needs for his book is online so you should be able to get around without the book eh? Or borrow someones.. or ask someone at the crag. There was no timeline put on this book until this year

qtm

Aug 14, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #13 of 19 (8787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't looked myself, although I have a friend who's been looking for a while. Lucky for him that I keep my eyes open and found one for him not too long ago.

They pop up on ebay now and then... but not very often. I guess the best way to know when the new guide is coming out is when you see a bunch of old ones on ebay...

thegrassr00ts

Aug 15, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #14 of 19 (8759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everytime I've ever been to Rumney, there is a local, someone with a guidebook, or an internet capable phone to access Mountain Project. It's really not too hard...besides, is a guidebook really limiting your climbing to such an extent that you wouldn't go as a result. Climb more, read less.

jakedatc

Aug 15, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #15 of 19 (8754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thegrassr00ts] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thegrassr00ts wrote:
Everytime I've ever been to Rumney, there is a local, someone with a guidebook, or an internet capable phone to access Mountain Project. It's really not too hard...besides, is a guidebook really limiting your climbing to such an extent that you wouldn't go as a result. Climb more, read less.

meh.. if he doesnt show up since he doesnt have a guidebook then there is one less noob getting in the way. I've been climbing there since 2002 so i know the area very well and help folks out all the time when they get confused. If i hear them bitching about ward not being fast enough though i will shut right up and they can be on their own.

aburgoon

Aug 31, 2009, 6:24 AM
Post #16 of 19 (8650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I am surprised at the rudeness of these responses.

Guidebook making is a thankless task with little tangible benefit.

Yet it is odd that an area such as rumney with good rock and proximity to a huge market has no guidebook in print.

Lucky for us there is the internet, and if you made it this far you can go a little farther and get all the info you need.

dharold

Sep 3, 2009, 1:30 PM
Post #17 of 19 (8584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just have to say... folks in the East are WAY too uptight.

shake it out, dudes. deep breaths.....

i hope i don't run into y'all when climbin..

rockgoat

Sep 10, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #18 of 19 (8476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharold] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was cleaning up and I found brand new copy of the Rumney Guidebook by Ward Smith 2001. I never made it there because I love trad so much more. Make me an offer and I just might sell it.

gitarooman

Sep 11, 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #19 of 19 (8452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgoat] GUIDEBOOK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just FYI - I just read on neclimbs that the book is finished and going to print this week.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook