Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Is Mt. Magazine still open to climbing???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aarong

Mar 23, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Is Mt. Magazine still open to climbing???  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just saw a message that stated that Mt. Magazine had some development going on at the old lodge site right above the cliffs and that signs were posted telling people to keep out. Heavy machinery and construction was occuring. Does anyone know what's going on and will climbing at this area be available in the future?

I'd hate to lose climbing at Mt. Mag.

bsignorelli

Mar 24, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Mt. Magazine still open to climbing??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard through the grapevine that climbing is currently allowed while construction is going on and that climbing will be allowed at least in the near future.

I emailed the park just now and inquired abotu climbing during the construction period. I'll let you know their reply.

Bryan

spivey

Mar 24, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grr i was hoping for a early summer trip, maybe even memorial day = ( grr

davem

Mar 24, 2004, 4:55 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Mt. Magazine this weekend to climb and talked with a couple of rangers. The bad news is they are building a huge lodge and cabins right on top of the crag. The good news is they do not plan on closing the area to climbing once the lodge is built. They are going to close it every once in a while during construction because of blasting and earth moving so you might want to call first before going and check what the plans are.

The area above the crag where we used to park is all fenced off and no access is allowed so we do have to park in other areas and hike in. I wasn't able to access the top of the crag to set up topropes so I had to top out on a route and set something up that way. I don't know if this will always be the case but be prepared to access everything from below.

I was able to park right above the waterfall this weekend and hike down but this area won't be available all the time because they are building cabins there. Again, just check with the rangers on where you can park.

When I first learned of the plans for Mt. Magazine I was really concerned about the future of the area but after talking with the rangers I feel a little more confident that we will be able to climb for the forseeable future anyway. Just remember that they can change their plans at any time so be respectful out there and hopefully we can work together with the state and make everyone happy.

fitzontherocks

Mar 24, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work with the State Parks Department (we are their ad agency) and have had talks with the State Parks Director about climbing at Mt Mag. He has assured me Mt Mag will remain a great climbing area, open to all. He did say that for the forseeable future, CHECK IN at the Visitors Center before you climb. This is merely to let them know someone is on the rocks. As an earlier poster said, if they have to blast or something extreme like that ( which is doubtful), they may temporarily restrict access. But Mag will remain a climbing area and a great place for it, too. REMEMBER: CHECK IN FIRST! Thanks.

bsignorelli

Mar 25, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wrote this to the park...

In reply to:
Is climbing on the bluff below the old lodge going to be allowed during the construction period?

And they replied with this...

In reply to:
Yes, the only time that we know of that it will be closed is when they are blasting. They will give us a 24hr notice so we can tell the climbers that it will be closed until they are finished blasting. If you decide to come up just give us a call and we can tell you if they are to blast that day or not. Our office number is 479-963-8502, and we're here 8am - 5pm every day.

Thanks,
Kristen

Kristen Reames, Facility Manager
Mount Magazine State Park
16878 State Highway 309
Paris, AR 72855
479-963-8502

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register