Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Tourist Baiting Conundrum - WITH PICTURES!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #51 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tourist Baiting Conundrum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just put me on your "do not climb with or befriend for fear of falling victim to a wacky joke" List.

Not really that list, you'd go on the, "thinks putting his partners at risk of injury or death is funny" list.

You suck at climbing, but don't worry, one day one of your "pranks" will go wrong and you'll have to watch a "friend" die in screaming with shattered legs because of your stupidity.

Look forward to it, it'll be your wake up call!

:righton:

onsight_endorphines

Apr 20, 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #52 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Intelligent post Tradman. You make it sound like the guy took a 50' whipper onto a plunger.

In reply to:
you'll have to watch a "friend" die in screaming with shattered legs because of your stupidity.

Please tell us you didn't mean to say that...

EDIT Added the following:

This has to be a misunderstanding :wink:

cyaniderush

Apr 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #53 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just put me on your "do not climb with or befriend for fear of falling victim to a wacky joke" List.

Not really that list, you'd go on the, "thinks putting his partners at risk of injury or death is funny" list.

You suck at climbing, but don't worry, one day one of your "pranks" will go wrong and you'll have to watch a "friend" die in screaming with shattered legs because of your stupidity.

:righton:

Please let me know that you're being sarcasting and that you were only being unfriendly as a joke.

If you read carefully, at no point did we allow Francois to be in an sort of extra danger(beyond normal rock climbing) because of said joke. We never told him that the plunger would support HIM like normal pro. We had always been telling him that it would hold his gear on the wall, like his chalk bag, water bottle, etc...

Maybe you just mis-read, that's cool. I understand and I do it all the time. If that's the case, no harm done.

But to lash out like that is uncalled for and rude.

I surely hope that no one you know is ever injured climbing and it's ashame you'd wish harm upon another climber just to "teach me a lession".

Edited for clarity

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #54 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaaw, you poor baby.

Believe me, I wouldn't wish harm, any more than I'd wish a climbing partner like you, on my worst enemy. But it will happen to you because you have no grasp of responsibility or safety, and someone else will pay a horrifying price. It's where you're headed, enjoy!

;)

In a sport where trust is paramount, anyone who deliberately abuses the trust their partners place in them, especially for a cheap laugh, should walk away from the rock before they kill someone.

I know you think this is really funny. I know you think it makes you really cool. But here's the bottom line: you lied to an inexperienced climber and lumbered him with innapropriate equipment which could have been the cause of an accident when he tried to use it. You lied to and abused the trust of a beginner so you could point and laugh at him.

You obviously think that makes you cool. I think it makes you just another bully who hasn't got the balls to lead by example.

So, feeling big and clever now are you?

:lol:

cyaniderush

Apr 20, 2005, 1:10 PM
Post #55 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I think it's you who are the bully. You prowl around here looking for a situation where you can lash into someone you percieve as below you.
At no point did I put his safety in danger.
That's the bottom line.

edit: he is also no a beginer. He's been climbing for over a year now.
Also, why are you making this such an attack upon me? If you were truely concerned about lack of safety in climbing and wanted to impress upon me the mistake that you percieve I'm making, then why would you personally attack me? Why wouldn't you just logically explain you points and let me and everyone on this board take what they will from it?

What purpose does trying to belittle me have in furthering your point?

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 1:19 PM
Post #56 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You put his safety in danger by deliberately giving him the wrong equipment for the job. Your inability to see that is frightening.

That you then boasted about it here - WITH PICS!!!! says things about you that I don't think you're able to face.

reno

Apr 20, 2005, 1:20 PM
Post #57 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They might get used a lot at a hanging belay - you know, for that added protection in case the bomber anchor just isn't enough. Put them on your knees and hands.

Get your own suction cups beforehand, and cut a hole in the center. Then run the anchor rope from the anchor (tree, bolt, etc.) through the hole before making it into the powerpoint. Then stick the suction cup so it is visible, appearing as if it is the anchor.

Or, have him tie the suction cups to his butt, facing out, so in case he falls, the suction will hold him to the wall.

cyaniderush

Apr 20, 2005, 1:27 PM
Post #58 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You put his safety in danger by deliberately giving him the wrong equipment for the job. Your inability to see that is frightening.

That you then boasted about it here - WITH PICS!!!! says things about you that I don't think you're able to face.

Francois was on top rope. he needed no additional equipement aside from his harness, shoes, helmet, slings and biners. His job was to follow, and since we were a group of three, his job didn't even include cleaning.

I'm not really sure what it is that you're alluding to at the end.

I did edit my last post with some additional info, repasting it here incase you had posted this while I was editing:

"Also, why are you making this such an attack upon me? If you were truely concerned about lack of safety in climbing and wanted to impress upon me the mistake that you percieve I'm making, then why would you personally attack me? Why wouldn't you just logically explain you points and let me and everyone on this board take what they will from it?

What purpose does trying to belittle me have in furthering your point?"

clmbr121

Apr 20, 2005, 1:27 PM
Post #59 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, my first flame. My cherry has been popped. I will never forget my first time. Was it good for you, too?

But we enjoy the occaisional flame here on rc.com, yes?

Well, I did not expect to see something like that this morning. I merely came on to give the fans what they wanted, but I guess there is a little bit of business that needs to be dealt with.

So, here is my carefully and craftily worded response to the attack on my character:

Whah. Cry about it.

I'm not going to dissect every thing you put in your posts here, Tradman. I am not going to look up how many times you have posted in the last month or when you joined. I am not going to troll around your previous posts in other forums to see what kind of person you are. Judgement has been reserved.

For the record, the safety of the people climbing with me always comes first. To tell someone that a plunger would be used for holding their chalk bag is not putting theirs or anyone else's health and well-being at risk.

And just to finish this part of my post off, you don't know me. You have never climbed with me. You don't know what motivates me to climb, what I have seen or have done, or friends that I may or may not have lost. You may speculate all that you wish (I'm sure you will), and you may post these deep thoughts here for us all to ponder and meditate on (again, I'm sure you will). But it will be nothing more than speculation on your part.

(Brushes dust off of sleeves)

Sorry you had to see that, kids. You should have seen the stuff that I edited out before posting...fit for neither man nor beast. An ugly side of myself I am not proud of...well, maybe a little...

But the moment I am sure you have all (or, I guess most...sniff, a fan is lost...) been waiting for:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=52669

A note on this: I am very relieved that it didn't actually stick. That would have been a head scratcher...I would not have seen that coming.

We also resisted the temptation of saying, "Oh, its not sticking? Maybe it needs to be moistened up...give it a lick..."

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 1:42 PM
Post #60 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you don't know me. You have never climbed with me.

Thank goodness. Wouldn't want to.

In reply to:
You don't know what motivates me to climb, what I have seen or have done, or friends that I may or may not have lost.

No speculation necessary; your reference to your "fans", and your posting of your self-aggrandizing story say everything anyone needs to hear about your ego and why you climb.

You're a liar and a bully. Climb on!

clmbr121

Apr 20, 2005, 1:45 PM
Post #61 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So give me your lunch money.

Doesn't sarcasm ring true with anyone any more?

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 1:49 PM
Post #62 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No thanks.

I prefer laughing while I watch you splutter and try to justify your stupidity.

tradnomad

Apr 20, 2005, 1:55 PM
Post #63 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tradman,

You're way out in left field on this one. These guys played a practical joke on their buddy (which I happen to think was pretty funny), and went about it in a way that noone was going to get hurt (if you disagree with this, please explain how :P ).

They explicitly told him that it wasn't used for protection, and the plunger would never stick at all even if someone tried.

However, I think the whole thing does point out how naive/gullible people can be in trusting ridiculous information (i.e. a lot of the advice given to beginner's around here).

TN

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 2:03 PM
Post #64 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, I think the whole thing does point out how naive/gullible people can be in trusting ridiculous information (i.e. a lot of the advice given to beginner's around here).

Exactly. Then I think more experienced climbers should be careful what advice they give to beginners, don't you?

tradnomad

Apr 20, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #65 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Exactly. Then I think more experienced climbers should be careful what advice they give to beginners, don't you?

Yes.

But there's no harm in this particular joke (besides embarassing the guy), he's never going to get into a situation where he tries to rely on the plunger for his safety.

If they had tried to convince him that jamming knots in cracks was the best thing to use for lead protection, then I would agree with almost everything you've said.

TN

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #66 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But there's no harm in this particular joke (besides embarassing the guy), he's never going to get into a situation where he tries to rely on the plunger for his safety.

I've seen beginners do much sillier things than believe some load of tripe another beginner told them and try to apply it on their own! Ever pumped out while placing gear?

cracknut

Apr 20, 2005, 2:17 PM
Post #67 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lighten up tradman. You still havn't explained how anyone could have gotten hurt (other than pride) in this well thought out and IMO hilarious joke. Were you picked on a lot as a kid?

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 2:22 PM
Post #68 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not particularly. I bet you weren't though, you're clearly the type who just loves to kiss the other boy's asses and tell them how fabulous you think they are.

cracknut

Apr 20, 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #69 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not afraid to give credit where credit is due.
I would still love to hear how you believe this was dangerous.
Flame on

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #70 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You mean you don't understand how it's dangerous to give beginners incorrect information about climbing techniques?

Wow.

I think you should stick to sucking up!

onsight_endorphines

Apr 20, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #71 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahaha....niiiiiceee plunger pic...man that is the holy grail of funny climbing pics...

Your fun is in good taste, I appreciate that.

In reply to:
I prefer laughing while I watch you splutter and try to justify your stupidity.

You feel better now Tradman? So that's what this is all about!! :idea: You simply think yours is bigger...

In your RC.com posting ego trip, please don't say anything that you'll regret later on.

mnrock7

Apr 20, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #72 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tourist Baiting Conundrum - WITH PICTURES! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the most important thing on the link to "ask Men", or something like that, you get a chance to see what a real rock climber looks like. That man is Steve Richer, the writer of the article. I sure wish that I could pose like that for a picture.

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #73 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You feel better now Tradman?

Well, some folks like to bait their friends by lying to and humiliating them, I like to bait folks like you and climber121. It's called trolling, I enjoy it.

*shrug*

I'm not hurting anyone. Well, no-one of any real value anyway.

onsight_endorphines

Apr 20, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #74 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, some folks like to bait their friends by lying to and humiliating them, I like to bait folks like you and climber121. It's called trolling, I enjoy it.

Clmbr121's joke was most likely constructive to the relationhip.

The troll is fair enough. If that's what gets you off, then hey...whatever floats yours...

In reply to:
I'm not hurting anyone.

Nope, just irritating the fuck out of us.

In reply to:
It's called trolling, I enjoy it.

TRADMAN IS A TROLL!!!

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 3:03 PM
Post #75 of 122 (16875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oooh, we're down to name-calling now are we?

I always think it's fun to see how bullies can't handle being treated the same way they treat others, don't you?

I'm glad you find me irritating. You don't like my posts and find they conflict with your prejudices, dogmas and ego-aspirations. That's good. Please allow me to extend you the invitation to killfile me right away.

There are intelligent, thoughtful usrs here who are informed and strong in debate, and who I would hesitate to troll. But you're not one of them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook