Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Tourist Baiting Conundrum - WITH PICTURES!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

cracknut

Apr 20, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #101 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tourist Baiting Conundrum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ledge
how dare you diss curling in front of someone from Milwaukee. You better be careful the next time you slurp down a PBR or Milwaukee's Best. You may have become a target. Curling is one of the highest forms of athletisism, requiring cat-like reflexes, a keen intellect, and superior physical conditioning. The only sport that surpasses curling in it's depth and challenge is Broomball

republiclimber

Apr 20, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #102 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's a shame tradman doesn't have any photos in his profile, for some reason i am very curious to see how big he is.

cracknut

Apr 20, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #103 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's a shame tradman doesn't have any photos in his profile, for some reason i am very curious to see how big he is.

Sounds like you have a fan tradman

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #104 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah but he's not very cute.

:cry:

Tradman is six foot four and weighs about two hundred and ten pounds. Why do you ask?

curt

Apr 20, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #105 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You put his safety in danger by deliberately giving him the wrong equipment for the job. Your inability to see that is frightening.

Oh, come on trad. You should be able to tell from the photos that the plunger in question is a fully UIAA / CE rated and certified Black Diamond plunger. No one was ever in any danger. :lol:

Curt

Partner tradman

Apr 20, 2005, 4:40 PM
Post #106 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

AHAHAHAHAAAA!

thanks curt.

Sadly, it's after half five here and i have to go. later.

:wink:

bigjonnyc

Apr 20, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #107 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey tradman, you say that they were endangering their friend by giving him bogus advice. However, if the wall were to have a smooth enough spot to accomodate a plunger, and he were to place it there, and hang his chalkbag, then wouldn't it follow that their advice wasn't in fact bogus at all? And in this case, the only danger that I could see involved would be if the plunger suction were to fail, and some poor chap below were hit in the head with a soft plunger or a fluffy bag of chalk. Let me tell you, that could definitely be cause for a trip to the emergency room.

crimpandgo

Apr 20, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #108 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't read all 8 pages, so forgive me if I cover ground that has already been covered.

So, You obviously found it pretty funny that this "friend" wanted to use his bike helmet....

Can you explain the differences in a bike helmet and a climbing helmet? What are each made of? Aside from the bike helmet looking silly at the crag, can you explain what features the climbing helmet has to protect your noggin that a bike helmet which is made to protect you noggin from hitting the ground or other objects at a high rate of speed won't give you.

Heck, if Lance trusts his helmet when he is travelling 60mph down a hillside, can you HONESTLY say the helmet wouldn't be satisfactory for rock climbing?

So, what was your beef with the bike helmet again? Why did that instigate your need to poke such fun at a person you call a "friend"?

Just curious..

clmbr121

Apr 20, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #109 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, today has been fun.

A bike helmet, to answer your question, is made of closed-cell polyeurthane foam to absorb a certain kind of impact from certain directions. Would it suffice to absorb a similar impact while climbing? Yes.

However, a bike helmet has only a thin plastic shell surrounding it, and not a very functional one as far as impact resistance as not all helmets have it; it serves more as a way to reduce wind drag. And a bike helmet is not meant to protect against piecing objects, such as edges of rocks. It also only covers a specific portion of the skull.

Another note: one impact and its done.

A climbing helmet, on the other hand, has a similar closed cell foam that can absorb an impact; it also is surrounded by a resin shell that is much more resilient against repeated blows and sharp objects, features important to have in a climbing helmet. It is also more attuned to resisting side impacts (something a bike helmet is considerably weaker in). Climbing helmets also happen to have the nice feature of accomodating a head lamp, and as there were three of us on a busy weekend, and our friend was new to multi-pitch routes, I found that it might be prudent to have that feature, as you never know when you are going to get caught up in a crowd and will have to rap off in the dark.

Any other questions?

kman

Apr 20, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #110 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't count on a climbing helmet in a side impact.

crimpandgo

Apr 20, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #111 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, today has been fun.

A bike helmet, to answer your question, is made of closed-cell polyeurthane foam to absorb a certain kind of impact from certain directions. Would it suffice to absorb a similar impact while climbing? Yes.

However, a bike helmet has only a thin plastic shell surrounding it, and not a very functional one as far as impact resistance as not all helmets have it; it serves more as a way to reduce wind drag. And a bike helmet is not meant to protect against piecing objects, such as edges of rocks. It also only covers a specific portion of the skull.

Another note: one impact and its done.

A climbing helmet, on the other hand, has a similar closed cell foam that can absorb an impact; it also is surrounded by a resin shell that is much more resilient against repeated blows and sharp objects, features important to have in a climbing helmet. It is also more attuned to resisting side impacts (something a bike helmet is considerably weaker in). Climbing helmets also happen to have the nice feature of accomodating a head lamp, and as there were three of us on a busy weekend, and our friend was new to multi-pitch routes, I found that it might be prudent to have that feature, as you never know when you are going to get caught up in a crowd and will have to rap off in the dark.

Any other questions?

I was being sarcastic. I know the differences in a bike helmet and a climbing helmet. I have both and use both.

But frankly, you have not proven to me that in most cases the bike helmet would not be perfectly sufficient for a climber going out the average crag for an average day of climbing. Especially for a nOOb who may never go again and certainly might not want to spend $70 dollars for a one day trip to the crag.

Heck, there was and article last weekend here in AZ about a person in an ironman competition who wacked a road sign going full speed, hard enough to crack the helmet. HE got up and finished to race without even sustaining a cuncussion. He did sustain a broken collerbone and a few other injuries to prove the severity of the impact.

I am not trying the disprove the benefits of a climbing helmet. Your points listed above are very valid and in fact are the reasons I own one. But to make to uninformed new climber feel stupid for considering using a bike helmet would only serve to discourage them from ever wanting to climb again and frankly is just misleading. What you wear on your head depends heavily on where you are planning to climb. To make that person go out and spend $70 without giving them all the facts is just wasting someones money.

Just my opinion though. Then again, I am not the kind of person to play practical jokes on others with the sole intent of making them look stupid, so what do I know.. right?? :)

clmbr121

Apr 20, 2005, 7:15 PM
Post #112 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Touche. And to each their own.

I concede to your point that if they were just going once, and a helmet was necesary, than yes a bike helmet would be fine. Our friend however climbs with us often and intends to continue climbing with us...the investment seemed worth it.

And just a side note...while his insistance on using the bike helmet piqued our curiosity, it was that when we joked with him about the suction cup and he bought it...well, we saw an opening, yadda yadda yadda, I tried to kill him, blah blah blah...you know the rest.

bluenose

Apr 20, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #113 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny thing about the bike vs climb helmet.

I was at a shop looking at climbing gear...OK...drooling over the climbing gear... and the canoes....and bikes...etc.
Anyway, the first helmet I picked up was, except for some minor variation, the same construction as a bike helmet. The outer shell MAY have been a bit thicker and the shape was noticably rounder. Otherwise I would have figured they were interchangeable.

Having said that, I doubt that I would purchase a single impact type of helmet for climbing. Comparing to biking, It's not often you have to worry about things from above, so buy a decent shell hat over the foam.

Other than a bike hat looking a bit geeky at the face, most climbing helmets don't really look much better BTW, it certainly would be better than nothing and not very inferior either, at least for one good hit.

Oh, whether Tradman was trolling or not, he does make a valid point about the trust issue. I take risky sports serious enough that any goofing around doesn't involve the activity directly.

Having said that I thought the whole thing was amusing and enjoyed the pics. "Plumber Frenchie takes to the crags"? Mostly harmless fun.

Jeff.

capcom1701

Apr 20, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #114 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

killfile the wet blankets among us... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's gotta be something in my Complete Climbing History of the World about climbers pulling pranks... Ah, here's one about Yosemite... hmm, wearing a noose on the cliff... unbelievable! Here's on about yelling insults at a second, trying to make them fall, damn can't believe anyone would climb with that TM Herbert guy, geesh... Royal Robbins drinking Champagne after an ascent, despicable; a picture of John Long smiling at the crag, HORRORS!
:shock:

MUST NOT HAVE FUN WHILE CLIMBING, MUST NOT HAVE FUN, MUST NOT... ENJOY... :gasp:

Well played 121, well played... don't let the humorless get you down.

sarcat

Apr 20, 2005, 9:55 PM
Post #115 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow.

crimpandgo

Apr 20, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #116 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Touche. And to each their own.

I concede to your point that if they were just going once, and a helmet was necesary, than yes a bike helmet would be fine. Our friend however climbs with us often and intends to continue climbing with us...the investment seemed worth it.

And just a side note...while his insistance on using the bike helmet piqued our curiosity, it was that when we joked with him about the suction cup and he bought it...well, we saw an opening, yadda yadda yadda, I tried to kill him, blah blah blah...you know the rest.

oops, didn't realize he was a "friend" and had been going with you. I thought it was a one time thing. Perhaps my stance was a bit harsh. I will make a personal note not get so "practical" next time. So sorry.

Please,, "prank-on" :):)

blondgecko

Apr 21, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #117 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, Tradman. I've seen you go over the top many times before, but... wow.

Strange - it was almost getting to the point where I felt you were worthy of respect.

To the OP - thanks for the best laugh I've had in ages! :lol:

jt512

Apr 21, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #118 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Gee. You all make it sound like this one poor bastard's outing is the only time to see hopeless gumby action. Like 99 out of 100 of you couldn't turn the cameras on yourselves at any time.

Nice call, Hill.

Cyaniderush "bouldering":

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=48781

Who'd ever guess in a 1000 years that these bozos would be from Pennsylvania.

-Jay

climbsomething

Apr 21, 2005, 1:44 AM
Post #119 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHA

Lovely.

poppasmearf

Apr 21, 2005, 2:12 AM
Post #120 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHHHH HA HA HA!!!! WHOOWEEEE!!! My how the tables have turned... :lol: :lol: :lol:

cyaniderush

Apr 21, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #121 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Who'd ever guess in a 1000 years that these bozos would be from Pennsylvania.

-Jay

Hey, I can understand taking a jab at my beer gut or poor form, but what's with the PA ripping?

clmbr121

Dec 19, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #122 of 122 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

POST SCRIPT

Well, here it is, about 10 months later, and this thread has settled down into the depths of bulletin board infamy. Guess its about time to stir the waters and see what surfaces...call it a pre-Christmas treat. Something to read and pass the time as we all stare at our clocks on our computers, waiting, pleading for Friday to get here just a little bit quicker

10 months later. Wow. I can't believe its been that long. But in many ways, it feels longer. There were other repercussions from that infamous day with a boy and his plunger.

The next day, we decided to go bouldering before taking off to go home (yes, back to Pennsylvania). I think I got about 5 feet off of the ground when I started getting the tremors. My legs were shaking, my arms vibrating...I was seriously spooked. Apparently, the previous day's events on High E had longer lasting effects than I previously anticipated. I down climbed and decided to take pictures from the ground for the remainder of the day.

I think I went about 4 or 5 months without going near rock, indoor or out. I packed the gear away and didn't even think about it. Some part of me thought that I might have hung it up for good.

I finally got myself back into a gym some time in late August or September. The first boulder problem I sent, a juggy V1, had me sketched out just beneath the finishing holds, the mind-paralyzing fear washing over me. I think that I forced my way through it and sent the problem. And then another, and another.

Then I got on the new overhanging section of the bouldering cave and did the unthinkable: I forced myself to fall. To be fair, there are large gymnastic mats underneath this section, but forcing myself to take a WWE-like fall from up there finally started to straighten out my head.

I work there now, teaching lessons, climbing, et al. And I am looking forward to early spring when I can get back up to the Gunks, pull some real rock, and get through that 2nd pitch on high E.

Thanks to all who rated the posts, who gave all the good feedback. Thanks to the trollers who kept the thread alive for as long as it was.

And now, its time to lay this thing to rest, as it settles back down to the bottom of the posting river, to be forgotten and lost...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook