Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Adopt-a-crag Sept 10th
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

moss1956

Aug 11, 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Adopt-a-crag Sept 10th  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: St__George_Area_Crags: Black_Rocks: Sunny_Side)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This years crag cleanup day is September 10th at Pictured Rocks.

aulwes

Aug 18, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adopt-a-crag Sept 10th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted this on iowaclimbing.com too, once i finish the events calendar it will be listed there too.

aulwes

Sep 21, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How was the clean up day? I really wanted to go, but then some things came up.

moss1956

Sep 25, 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,
The cleanup day was smaller than in past years. We cleared the trail to Tarzan, which had been blocked, and shored up steps in the comic gallery and mild iowa wall. They had a raffle for a Sterling Marathon rope. Somebody who just came to climb, paid their five dollars for the raffle and won. It would be great if they had the adopt a crag at IB next year, there is a lot of stuff that could be done.

I think there is a chance that some change could take place with respect to rebolting, and maybe opening up some other areas to climbing. Evan and Ron talked to the head of Fish and Wildlife, Dale Garner. From listening to Evan and Ron talk, his response was approximately, "the land is meant for people to use for recreation, and he doesn't want to regulate it more than neccessary to make sure that it is safe and preserved for use in the future.
"
In Eastern Iowa I think the major issue is that we have antagonized the land managers. It doesn't really matter what happens on the State level, until those guys retire.

Much more at risk than rock climbing is ice climbing. Its not just because there is less ice. In the last couple of years there have been some cases of trespassing by people who should have known better, who were then rude to the land owners. Places to climb on private land are being closed down because the owners have had enough.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook