Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

rplocek

Sep 24, 2004, 5:23 AM
Post #76 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girlfriends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just this afternoon I realized that after having just spent my entire month hanging out with guys (very cool guys!) I really miss having a close, female friend to do crazy chick stuff with. Not only do I miss having someone to con into crazy epic adventures and road-trips, shop with and just talk girl talk with but climbing with another female is so empowering and the atmosphere is different. If there are any other mtn girls in Montana that are feeling this way, give me a hoot. I'll be in Missoula for the next three winters.

Rochelle

seagypsy

Sep 28, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #77 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is this wild pure kind of joy that I have tapped into when I have climbed with other women...I love climbing with guys. Mostly I climb with guys. But when I climb with women it is different and rare. I surprise myself at how much more over the top we are than the guys with the outrageousness of our humor or wild energy! I worry that anyday now I will fall into a relationship with some great guy I meet out climbing and feel that subtle pressure to climb exclusively with him... and then not have the opportunity to climb with other women as much as when I wasn't in a relationship. I wish there were more opportunities to climb with women-especially with women who climb hard. If any of you are in the vicinity of Northern New Mexico PM me to go out and climb sometime!

Partner missedyno

Sep 28, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #78 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the other night at the gym i tied into to TR a 5.9. a girl who i completely and totally respect for her style and confidence on the rock came over, stuck her face in mine and said "why aren't you leading? you were talking about leading, you're going away in a couple days, untie from the TR and lead this, okay?"

the honestly from a female i respected meant a lot to me. i climb with guys and if they encourage me i just think they're trying to be nice, and i dismiss it quickly.

funny thing, that.

kimmyt

Sep 28, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #79 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing I've noticed about climbing with other women, which I find so amazing, is that you can be as strong or as weak as you want. There's a supportive atmosphere to climbing with other women, and also a feeling of being able to push yourself to your limits, but it being okay if those limits aren't as high as your partners. There's no posturing, no ego (and I'm sure this is a factor of who I climb with), a completely unique blend of comfort and humor and quietness. We can be as rowdy as we want or we can be quiet. We can carry on a conversation with each other while we're peeing, we can mock the male's inability to back down from something over their head. We're not worrying about impressing each other, but we are worried about impressing ourselves.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 28, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #80 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few weeks ago I met this gal at the climbing facility I am a member at. We geled really well and I am sorry to see her leave, albeit she's got some good things ahead of her :) Even though I am not a strong climber, I appreciated her patience, support and encouragement. Thankfully, she will be back in the D.C. area for business and we plan to climb together during that time. Her bf is also a climber and really the two of them are just cool people to be around. I do look forward to meeting more young women through climbing too!

Yay!

Kitty

iamthewallress

Sep 28, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #81 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So yeah, hardcore chicks? We exist. The fact that most of us seem to dismiss other women as girly and shallow on sight probably has a lot to do with the fact that people can't seem to find us. ^_^

So true...

wjca

Dec 27, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #82 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I climb with guys mostly and love it. Love climbing with girls as well...Don't care as long as you are an attentive belay and patient with my slow style of climbing. I love to follow...working up courage to lead. I had a great woman partner....she got pregnant.....me and her husband both temporarily lost a partner....solution? We climb together. Take it where you can get it. Man, Woman....

Hey mother_sheep....have you taught that dog to belay yet? Let me know if you do so you can come teach one for me. :D

This same exact thing happened to me, except that it was my wife that got pregnant, so I had to find other climbing partners, including my wife's other female climbing partner. We climbed great together, but I lost her (and all my other partners including her husband) when my wife and I moved.

Now, our son is old enough that we can leave him with a sitter while we go climbing, so I am about to get my climbing partner back. The twist is, we just found out that my wife is pregnant again, so I'm about to lose my climbing partner all over again. And since I lost all my old partners in the move, I now have zero climbing partners, again.

sg81hani

Dec 29, 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #83 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Singapore girls come to the gym either in clusters or with their bf's. Most of them come just for the fun of it and it's seldom that I see the girls really get into climbing. They give up quite easily (maybe cos Asian girls are small and pretty domesticated type???) .
So it's hard to find a female climbing partner n i've been with the guys ever since i started. The attention is nice....but once it gets pumped up with male testerone it'll be nice to have female companionship and have some serious but FUN climbing going on....

alexis_86

Dec 29, 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #84 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of my girlfriends consider themselves sporty if they've played a game of touch rugby in a skirt within the last year to impress whatever guy they're dating. They're also afraid of breaking a nail and far too busy trying to graduate from university as impressively as possible. And a couple of months ago, one of my girlfriends who's 20 (I'm 19.) told me that "we were too old be fooling around and should look out for guys to settle down with". Yikes. I knew some girls who took a level 1 climbing class, but when I asked them to go climbing they said they weren't interested in climbing, they just took that class for the certification. wtf :?: how weird/depressing is that? Guys are nice people but sometimes, thing would be alot more fun with another girl.

pebblegem

Jan 4, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #85 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to Luke for the heads up on www.sheclimbs.org :D A cute little site but it still doesn't help me find another GIRL to climb with :( Never mind in CT, I'd be happy to find a climberette with experience somewhere in New England who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes as I am still a beginner. Anyone know of another site besides www.chickswithpicks.net and www.sheclimbs.org?

wonderwoman

Jan 4, 2006, 4:08 AM
Post #86 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been trying to climb with more and more women lately, and I have really been enjoying it! I met them at the gym or by taking classes or women's weekends.

No offense to my husband or any other guys I climb with! I connect better and learn more from other women climbers.

For the most part, my other girlfriends rock. But they are kind of seasonal!
:D

nd2boostt

Jan 4, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #87 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, I am so glad I read this thread. Lately I've been kinda down because I really miss hanging around the few girlfriends that I do have. I never get to see them because I'm always climbing, biking, working out, etc....and none of them do things like that! I'm always around guys, whether it's doing something active or even around my bf's guy friends (I'm friends with them too though). I really miss having close girlfriends and lately I've been wondering what the heck is wrong with me! I'm always saying how difficult it is to meet cool chicks, but guys just don't understand that.

I'm just glad to see that I'm not alone...even if it doesn't help my situation any...

lewisiarediviva

Jan 4, 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #88 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my most current "out door" girl friend recently proved to my husband what I've been trying to say about her all along.

He tried to tell me she was "tough." I tried to tell him "she's all talk."

Well we started discussing an avalanche class that we were going to go on and I told her I didn't want my husband along (because he already knows this stuff and I can't fully learn it if he's "helping"- as much as I love him). She turned to her husband and started asking things like "what do I wear?" "What am I going to do with out you?" She called me and bailed out. So I'm off on my own- again.

pebblegem

Jan 4, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #89 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMG this thread is making me feel so not alone! There's one guy I climbed with a few times but, no offense to the guys, I just think I could learn more and rip it up without feeling like such a girrrl! I don't care what anyone says~~> the male body and female body are built differently with strengths and weakenesses in different areas. I really do think I would learn more from a girl who know's what they're doing....Guess I'll hit the gym again- thanks Wonderwoman

amstone

Jan 5, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #90 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WJCA said:
"This same exact thing happened to me, except that it was my wife that got pregnant, so I had to find other climbing partners, including my wife's other female climbing partner. We climbed great together, but I lost her (and all my other partners including her husband) when my wife and I moved.

Now, our son is old enough that we can leave him with a sitter while we go climbing, so I am about to get my climbing partner back. The twist is, we just found out that my wife is pregnant again, so I'm about to lose my climbing partner all over again. And since I lost all my old partners in the move, I now have zero climbing partners, again."

Stone says....
SOLUTION???? Come out to NRG on a regular basis and let me kick your candy ass all over the rock! :wink:

wjca

Jan 6, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #91 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stone says....
SOLUTION???? Come out to NRG on a regular basis and let me kick your candy ass all over the rock! :wink:

Yeah Stone, it's true. I've been out of the game so long that I have probably sunk to candyass level. But I will pass on some words of wisdom my grandfather once told me: "Don't let your alligator eyes write a check that your butterfly ass can't cash." I'll be coming to the New soon enough, and we'll see just how much of a rock warrior you've become.

Chris

amstone

Jan 7, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #92 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring it on!!! I can't wait. and BTW....I have 45 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnut cases coming to you as training food...just to help my cause. :lol:

flashalee

Jan 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #93 of 93 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel pretty lucky. My bf got me into climbing here at the only gym in the area. It was pretty much me and all of the other guys at the gym. Now, I am normally that girl who hangs with only guys. I have had too many gfs that slept w/ various boyfriends, my strictly-guy friends, so I really don't have patience for most women. Well, this girl I know started dating a guy that me and the bf really have fun with. She started to go climbing with us, and has become quite good! I now have a climbing buddy! We really get along, and are better friends. There is something about trusting a person not to let you smack the ground that makes a friendship take off.

Now I want more girl climbing buddies! Too bad Pensacola/FWB is so darn flat!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook