Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping/climbing in middle Kansas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbhigh2005

Jan 6, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Camping/climbing in middle Kansas?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Garden_of_the_Gods: West_Side_of_North_Gateway)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going on a road trip from TN to Boulder, Co and was looking for a place to climb or at least camp on my way thru Kansas... any info would be great...
thanks!

ripply

Apr 10, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping/climbing in middle Kansas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know which route you're taking, but you should check out the the state parks. Can't think of any free camping though...As for climbing in kansas, good luck. I grew up in kansas and my brother and I would occasionally go to Kanopolis lake, but it's mostly chossy sandstone. Rock city is a better bet for good quality rock(as in not chossy), not sure how the bouldering is though. All the climbing is on boulders that are out in the middle of no where. The actual location is closer to Minneapolis than to salina. If you are near southeast kansas look into fall river, more information can be had by contacting the backwoods in wichita. Hope the beta isn't to late...

boombewm

Apr 10, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha, yeah...rock city is about it (I live in KS). Fall River would be nice, but im about 99% it's closed to climbers, you can still camp there, but I guess the guy will shoot at you if you climb. However, thats not central kansas nor anywhere near the interstate, and elk city lake is better by the way. There are a bunch of lakes/state parks off 70 though (clinton, wilson, etc). So, in conclusion: Have fun in Colorado! good luck to you, thanks for stopping (driving) by.

ripply

Apr 11, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in Kansas my brother and I had heard about Fall River but never actually got out there(this was about 12+ years ago). Back then it seemed as if it was alright to climb there, but since we never went, I can't be totally sure that was the case. Also how is the climbing at rock city? The last time I was there I was 10 and didn't think like a boulderer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook