Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Aiding a harder trad route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've gotten into trad the past year and am having a blast at it! I love the multi pitched climbs feeling of the wide open air around me. The question I have is, have any of you ever climbed a route where the crux is too hard for a free climb, so you aided the crux?

There are a lot of really nice climbs at Cathedral Ledges, for example, where the crux is over my limit, but the rest of the route is climbable. Is it acceptable, or the norm, to aid that pitch?

note: This is just a question. I understand the dangers of climbing and will not run to the local crag to try it if you say "Hell Ya!."

Alan

shakylegs

Jan 24, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aiding a harder trad route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's my intention to aid the Prow at Cathedral, and I will have no guilt about doing so. A lot of folks do it.
I think the only problem of aiding at Cathedral is holding up other parties behind you.

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought about that, but it seems that there are few people who climb trad that hard. Most people at Cathedral are there for the nice, easy routes like Thin Air and Childs Play, not the Prow. So, you see it as a common pratice? Good!

Thanks man! When you gonna be in NH?

Alan

reg

Jan 24, 2006, 3:21 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes - you will see aid ratings included in a route grade from time to time ex: "tough enough" (A1, 5.14d V2). even the best climbers are forced to aid sometimes for various reasons like threatening weather, difficulty, etc.
i would say that before you aid a difficult route - aid several easy ones to solidify your technique. i guess standing in a dlb runner from a cam to get past a hard move doesn't take a lot of preparation. make sure you clip the aid gear as you go.

chossmonkey

Jan 24, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The question I have is, have any of you ever climbed a route where the crux is too hard for a free climb, so you aided the crux?

Do you mean "French Free" or actually breaking out the aiders?

If it is a crack line, it isn't that hard to blast past crux sections on nylon jugs.

Just don't use hooks on free routes. They can blow out holds ruining the route as a free climb.

iamcolinslack

Jan 24, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesnt matter if you aid it or not. All that matters is that your having fun.

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do have someone who is willing to share their knowledge of aid climbing, so I will not be doing the "trial and error" lessons on this! My desire is to do any climb, using aid if necessary. I can't see myself, at my age, learning how to climb 13's and 14's, but I do see myself aiding them! There are just way too many nice routes above my present ability that I want to do. Thanks!

summerprophet

Jan 24, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First and foremost, let my say i have regretably never climbed at cathedral, but have some advice none the less.

First and foremost there are three things to consider, The length of the crux you are planning to aid, the popularity of the route and your skills as an aid climber.
Let me explain. Without any malice directed at you, let us consider first your skill as a climber, are you talking about aiding 5.8's and 9's? The point to consider here is that the lower the grade, the more poulated the route is bound to be, and regardless of local ethics, more climbers means a greater chance of pissing one of them off. Admittedly, every area has climbs that have fallen into the shadows.... vegetation slowly erasing their existance, and I am sure they would love to be aided and get a little scrubbing, However I dont think this is the experience you are looking for.

Next you need to consider the length of the crux. If it is just a few moves of climbing beyond your ability, then aiding it is a common solution. You arent slowing down anyone behind you, and no-one has any right to complain. Pay heed though, a typical pitch on aid is two to three hours..... so if entire pitches are what you are looking at, then make considerations as to timing and poularity.

And finally your skill as an aid climber. Have you spent time on aid? Are you quick at jumping from free moves to aid moves rapidly and safely? This is another factor to consider.

Good luck, and hopefully things work out welll for you. Learning to quickly bust into aid for a few moves will certainlly open up loads of oppourtunity for you, but also pay heed that it only takes a single climber to raise a big stink about your practices.

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First and foremost, let my say i have regretably never climbed at cathedral, but have some advice none the less.

First and foremost there are three things to consider, The length of the crux you are planning to aid, the popularity of the route and your skills as an aid climber.
Let me explain. Without any malice directed at you, let us consider first your skill as a climber, are you talking about aiding 5.8's and 9's? The point to consider here is that the lower the grade, the more poulated the route is bound to be, and regardless of local ethics, more climbers means a greater chance of pissing one of them off. Admittedly, every area has climbs that have fallen into the shadows.... vegetation slowly erasing their existance, and I am sure they would love to be aided and get a little scrubbing, However I dont think this is the experience you are looking for.

No malice taken. I agree. I would never put myself above others when trying to aid a portion of a route and certainly would not aid a full route if it is a popular route and it looks like a nice day to climb. And thanks for reminding me that aid is used in cleaning routes. God knows, there are many at a "secret" area (Dartmouth told me not to talk about it) that needs cleaning and TRing the routes would be too dangerous due to the TR setup location.

Next you need to consider the length of the crux. If it is just a few moves of climbing beyond your ability, then aiding it is a common solution. You arent slowing down anyone behind you, and no-one has any right to complain. Pay heed though, a typical pitch on aid is two to three hours..... so if entire pitches are what you are looking at, then make considerations as to timing and poularity.

No full pitches, I believe. Only portions of a pitch as you mentioned above.

And finally your skill as an aid climber. Have you spent time on aid? Are you quick at jumping from free moves to aid moves rapidly and safely? This is another factor to consider.

I have not had any aid experience yet. This is going to change though .. see post above. I do have, and have watched over and over again, the VHS "The Video Guide To AID CLIMBING, hosted by Don Reid and featuring Steve Gerberding. Yes, I realize it's only an instructional video and use it as such. I am aware of the dangers of "running with this new information" and trying to duplicate what they have done. Not gonna happen!

Good luck, and hopefully things work out welll for you. Learning to quickly bust into aid for a few moves will certainlly open up loads of oppourtunity for you, but also pay heed that it only takes a single climber to raise a big stink about your practices.

I really appreciate all the information supplied here. Thanks.

reg ... breaking out the aiders is what I have in mind. French Free is nothing special or new to me. Did this when I first started and decided it was a very bad idea to get use to grabbing gear when things get tough. I just couldn't see how I was going to learn with French Free tactics.

Alan

glyrocks

Jan 24, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First and foremost, let my say .

First and foremost there are three things to consider

Heh, only one can be the true 'first and foremost,' only one. :wink:

Yep, it's okay to aid free lines or aid through a crux. Just don't take all day, clog popular routes, do any damage to the rock/route.

sparky

Jan 24, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is how lots of climbs go...

Take a look at Ancient Art- Stolen Chimney, 5.11 or 5.8 AO, that route sees a ton of traffic, it wouldn't see anywhere close to that amount if folks didn't pull on bolts for two short sections.

It's not so blatant, but that's how honeymoon chimney on the priest goes as well for lots of folks. Shit, i even took aiders for that bolt ladder. It's a super fun 5.9 tower with a short bolt ladder for me, but for folks who like crazy-ass stem moves on calcite it's a 5.11 tower. The crux is only about 15 feet long. Why should 15 feet keep me off of a 350 foot tower???

caughtinside

Jan 24, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go ahead and aid them! The thing about harder trad routes is that most of them were aided before they were free climbed.

But, hone your technique first. Go find some .10 or .11 cracks and aid those first, they should all go around C1.

If you think it really is just a short section per climb that you'll be aiding, you should have no trouble. Just make sure it's a crack section and not a face section!

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is how lots of climbs go...

Take a look at Ancient Art- Stolen Chimney, 5.11 or 5.8 AO, that route sees a ton of traffic, it wouldn't see anywhere close to that amount if folks didn't pull on bolts for two short sections.

It's not so blatant, but that's how honeymoon chimney on the priest goes as well for lots of folks. s---, i even took aiders for that bolt ladder. It's a super fun 5.9 tower with a short bolt ladder for me, but for folks who like crazy-ass stem moves on calcite it's a 5.11 tower. The crux is only about 15 feet long. Why should 15 feet keep me off of a 350 foot tower???

Exactly! Glad to see it is a common pratice and not just something I've read about. Full aid will come after I have sucecesfully learned the proper techniqes, and no sooner. Yup, I'm the last person on earth that wants to see me get hurt. :wink:

Partner jammer

Jan 24, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #14 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
snip ... Just make sure it's a crack section and not a face section!

I understand and agree. I've never driven a piton or drilled a hole. The only way I'd aid a face is if it had be done. Then I'd be the second on such a climb anyway!

slobmonster

Jan 24, 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed the Prow several times over the years, and to be honest it's EASIER, QUICKER, and MORE FUN done french free. Don't even bother with aiders; bring a small rack (you don't really need anything larger than #1 Camalot) and enjoy yourself. The pitches are SHORT if you don't link anything together.

Partner cracklover

Jan 24, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #16 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What you're suggesting is, in fact, "traditional" trad. Nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that may be a problem is this: I'm reading an assumption into your question, and the assumption is that aiding through a crux is sort of like cheating. Putting aside the style/ethics issues here (I think we've put those to rest), there's still this: you think it'll be easier. Please note - it may not be!

Most folks who don't aid look at it and think: well, that's the easy way out. Not so. Aid climbing is hard and scary, and out here in the Northeast, may involve a lot of thin moves to get between good cracks even on relatively moderate lines! Some lines may actually be significantly harder and more dangerous (unless you get creative with really long telescoping cheater sticks) via aid than free.

So caveat emptor, and have fun!

GO

dingus

Jan 24, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #17 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you're suggesting is, in fact, "traditional" trad. Nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that may be a problem is this: I'm reading an assumption into your question, and the assumption is that aiding through a crux is sort of like cheating. Putting aside the style/ethics issues here (I think we've put those to rest), there's still this: you think it'll be easier. Please note - it may not be!

Most folks who don't aid look at it and think: well, that's the easy way out. Not so. Aid climbing is hard and scary, and out here in the Northeast, may involve a lot of thin moves to get between good cracks even on relatively moderate lines! Some lines may actually be significantly harder and more dangerous (unless you get creative with really long telescoping cheater sticks) via aid than free.

So caveat emptor, and have fun!

GO

Great follow up GO.

DMT

shakylegs

Jan 24, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #18 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've climbed the Prow several times over the years, and to be honest it's EASIER, QUICKER, and MORE FUN done french free. Don't even bother with aiders; bring a small rack (you don't really need anything larger than #1 Camalot) and enjoy yourself. The pitches are SHORT if you don't link anything together.

It's still, what?, 11D, isn't it? For someone like me, that's still pretty much out a pipe dream.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 24, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #19 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

You might want to take a look at my trip report about learning how to aid climb. We started on a 5.5 at the Gunks and then did a 5.8! It's all about learning a new skill - putting tools in the toolbox. Learning to A0 will get you out of a lot of jams quickly and safely.

And if you're worried about the "ethics" of aid, give yourself a break. For example, the Nose can be climbed free at 14a, but only four people have done it. Everyone else aids it at some lower level. I think it goes 5.9 C2 at the low end (though a good climber swore to me it was no harder than 5.6 C2). The difference between 5.9 and 14a is pretty big and has room enough for a lot of different levels of expertise.

What you want to be careful of is to not change the experience for those that will come after you. Don't hook on a free route - you might pull of flakes, etc. Don't place pins on a route that goes clean.

Best, Kim

pico23

Jan 26, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #20 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jammer"]
In reply to:
First and foremost, let my

reg ... breaking out the aiders is what I have in mind. French Free is nothing special or new to me. Did this when I first started and decided it was a very bad idea to get use to grabbing gear when things get tough. I just couldn't see how I was going to learn with French Free tactics.

Alan

It depends on what your climbing as far as french free. If I'm at Wallface and I need to pull on gear to avoid a fall 6 miles and probably a day from rescue I do it. If I'm looking at hitting a ledge in the Gunks I pull the gear. In those instances safety overides my personal ethics that say I shouldn't be pulling gear. If I'm planning on climbing climbs above my head I wait until I can climb them. Some people thinking A0 is part of trad climbing but it's the lamest form of cheating I can think of short of just lying about leading the route. Bear in mind I'm not saying if your leading a pitch and getting to the top is the only goal that you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying it's not free climbing (but it can be part of trad climbing).

But french free/A0 does have a place in climbing in certain instances but it's not a way to learn how to free climb.

Aiding can be fun though. For the vast majority of us consistently leading over 5.10 trad is probably not going to happen. Aiding oppens up a whole world of routes and teaches you new skill sets.

One thing to add that was sort of covered, practice transitioning from Aid to free.

Partner jammer

Jan 26, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is great. Thanks for all the support and suggestions. About changing from aid to free ... I heard that would be the hardest transition to make. Still, I think I'll take it one step at a time. Instruction, then practice & review, then climb.

I, by far, would rather free any climb, but as things have it ... well, let's say that it would sure be funny as all get out to watch, if I tried. :lol: No ... aiding will not be my final goal, just my life line, if needed.

kim ... thanks for the link!

jammer

blueeyedclimber

Jan 26, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alan, I plan on working on some aid techniques this year, partly for the same reason you are talking. It would be an important skill to learn. Now, I love free climbing and would probably only get on a multipitch that I felt was within my range, but if you climb for a long enough time, sooner or later you are going to get on something that you can't get past by free methods. Do you bail? or Do you Aid past it? You should know how to do both safely, and choose which one makes more sense.

Josh

Partner jammer

Jan 26, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #23 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Josh ... let me know if you & WW are going to up in my neck of the woods.

I plan on climbing outside of NE in the very near future. Saying this, I have heard that Rumney routes are fluffed. If this is the case, then I may have to aid or climb lower graded routes. To me, there are just too many beautiful routes not to aid.

See ya on the wall!

Alan

Partner euroford

Jan 26, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #24 of 27 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is great. Thanks for all the support and suggestions. About changing from aid to free ... I heard that would be the hardest transition to make.

lots of truth in that, once into the aiders stepping out to free, both mentally and physicly can be insanely difficult.

brutusofwyde

Jan 26, 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If using an aider: Instead of clipping it to the piece with a biner, use a fifi hook rigged with some cord in the tiny top hole. The cord can be attached to you somewhere so it will "clean" the aider automatically as you climb up. Lots easier than reaching one hand down while trying to go free. Alternately, you can usually coax the fifi hook out with one foot without too much terror [assumes aider is attached to you with daisy, etc.].

Russian Aiders make this so much easier, but that's another discussion.

The key in getting back into free climbing from aid (imho) is that most folks try to do so 1 or 2 placements too soon, and scare themselves half to death.

I usually aid these couple placements into the free section, where I can get out of the clutter without hanging on for dear life, with nothing good yet for my feet:

Mantle onto that good ledge, with the aid cluster below your feet catching on other gear or in the crack (fifi or not) vs. aiding until you can step out of the aiders onto the ledge, and re-group? The choice seems obvious when sitting in front of a computer screen, but the lure of easy ground sucks many into terrifying themselves un-necessarily.

etc.

Ditto what others have said, and it cannot be said enough: At this point in your climbing (not much aid experience, aiding past a section that goes free at a very hard grade) you should only be using clean aid: leave the hammer, hooks, and other esoteric ironware on the store shelf.

Have fun!

Brutus

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook