Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Vegetarianism + climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

weschrist

Feb 7, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #476 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegetarianism + climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, are you actually going to argue now that when you wrote that we are "fine tuned over millions of years to eat meat" you weren't implying that such a diet is superior to one devoid of meat?

Jay

Yeah Jay, I don't have a problem saying what I mean and I rarely resort to implying anything.

The human body IS a fine tuned machine that has evolved over millions of years with meat as an integral part of its diet. But NO, I never claimed a diet with meat was "superior" to one without meat. First of all you would need to define what basis you were going to use for superiority... something none of the pro-veg studies I read ever even attempted to do before they went off pulling numbers out of their asses to support what they wanted to support. That seems like the stupidest thing in the world to do... make a claim of superiority or some kind of comparison without defining what you are actually comparing. (you remember, like when I busted you trying to compare kcal/g of DRY corn to kcal/g of moist chicken)

I have never once tried to make a vegan or vegetarian eat meat... other than my last girlfriend... but that is another story.

jt512

Feb 7, 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #477 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't believe you actually went through that s---. Pathetic.

I never once used the word "superior" ...

I didn't say that you used the specific word "superior." What you did write is that we have been "fine tuned" by millions of years of evolution to eat a diet that contained "some meat." So if that "fine tuning" didn't result in a diet containing "some meat" to be superior to containing no meat, then I guess we really weren't "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet, were we? So which is it, were we "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet or were we not? Or are you now claiming that some people were "fine tuned" and others not? Or what?

Why don't you just concede the point that this supposed "fine tuning" left us susceptible to all the chronic diseases that we now suffer from in the latter decades of life, and that the diet that we were "fine tuned" for could even contribute to the development of those diseases; and therefore, that evolutionary arguments about our diet should take a back seat to modern nutrional findings about the relations between diet and health/disease.

Jay

jt512

Feb 7, 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #478 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So, are you actually going to argue now that when you wrote that we are "fine tuned over millions of years to eat meat" you weren't implying that such a diet is superior to one devoid of meat?

Jay

Yeah Jay, I don't have a problem saying what I mean and I rarely resort to implying anything.

The human body IS a fine tuned machine that has evolved over millions of years with meat as an integral part of its diet.

I'm sorry to have to correct you again, but that is not what you said. You did not say that the human body is a fine-tuned machine that ate meat, you said that "fine tuned...to eat at least some MEAT."

So, do I gather that you have changed your position: we weren't fine-tuned to eat meat, we were just "fine-tuned" (whatever that means, anyway) while eating meat.

In reply to:
But NO, I never claimed a diet with meat was "superior" to one without meat.

That's easy. Lower total mortality or morbidity.

In reply to:
...like when I busted you trying to compare kcal/g of DRY corn to kcal/g of moist chicken)

Once again, fuck you. I already told you that was just a mistake.

Jay

weschrist

Feb 7, 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #479 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you did write is that we have been "fine tuned" by millions of years of evolution to eat a diet that contained "some meat." So if that "fine tuning" didn't result in a diet containing "some meat" to be superior to containing no meat, then I guess we really weren't "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet, were we? So which is it, were we "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet or were we not? Or are you now claiming that some people were "fine tuned" and others not? Or what?

We were fine tuned to be omnivorous, ie to eat a diet containing meat. That doesn't mean we HAVE to eat meat to be healthy. It means we are capable of having a perfectly healthy diet containing meat. You are a fucking moron if you can't realize that by now.

In reply to:
Why don't you just concede the point that this supposed "fine tuning" left us susceptible to all the chronic diseases that we now suffer from in the latter decades of life, and that the diet that we were "fine tuned" for could even contribute to the development of those diseases; and therefore, that evolutionary arguments about our diet should take a back seat to modern nutrional findings about the relations between diet and health/disease.

I will not concede because: 1) that is a very poorly written sentence and I am not about to try and decipher the cryptic muddlings of a cognitively challenged vegetarian, 2) a balanced diet containing meat does NOT leave us susceptible to chronic diseases later in life, 3) longevity should not be the central issue in human existence. Living a great 50 years beats the hell out of a decrepit 80 year.

jt512

Feb 7, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #480 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What you did write is that we have been "fine tuned" by millions of years of evolution to eat a diet that contained "some meat." So if that "fine tuning" didn't result in a diet containing "some meat" to be superior to containing no meat, then I guess we really weren't "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet, were we? So which is it, were we "fine tuned" to eat a meat-containing diet or were we not? Or are you now claiming that some people were "fine tuned" and others not? Or what?

We were fine tuned to be omnivorous, ie to eat a diet containing meat. That doesn't mean we HAVE to eat meat to be healthy.

That is a contradiction. If we can be just as healthy not eating meat as eating meat, then we were not "fine tuned" to eat meat.

In reply to:
In reply to:

I will not concede because: 1) that is a very poorly written sentence...

Baloney. The only thing about that sentence that is unclear is your term "fine tuned." You're supposed to be a scientist, yet you use such a vague undefined term.

In reply to:
and I am not about to try and decipher the cryptic muddlings of a cognitively challenged vegetarian,

Who said I was a vegetarian?

In reply to:
2) a balanced diet containing meat does NOT leave us susceptible to chronic diseases later in life...

If that were true then people eating a balanced diet containing meat would not be susceptible to chronic diseases, but they obviously are.

In reply to:
3) longevity should not be the central issue in human existence.

I agree, but if you're doing a study, you have to have reasonable measureables outcomes.

Jay

weschrist

Feb 8, 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #481 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
We were fine tuned to be omnivorous, ie to eat a diet containing meat. That doesn't mean we HAVE to eat meat to be healthy.

That is a contradiction. If we can be just as healthy not eating meat as eating meat, then we were not "fine tuned" to eat meat.

It is not a contradiction and you are an idiot. to take the machine analogy a step further (please try to wrap your head around the concept of an analogy so I don't have to explain that one to you too), consider diesel engines that were "fine tuned" to burn petroleum diesel, but can USUALLY successfully run on biodiesel. It is worth noting that these engines can only run on biodiesel under ideal conditions. You have to use the fuel they were designed to use in order to get maximum performance.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Baloney.

Don't make me send that to ANY middle school English teacher... I'll do it!

In reply to:
In reply to:
2) a balanced diet containing meat does NOT leave us susceptible to chronic diseases later in life...

If that were true then people eating a balanced diet containing meat would not be susceptible to chronic diseases, but they obviously are.

sorry, should have said does NOT SPECIFICALLY leave us susceptible to chronic diseases later in life.

In reply to:
I agree, but if you're doing a study, you have to reasonable measureables outcomes.

yeah, what he said...?

jt512

Feb 8, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #482 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

It is not a contradiction and you are an idiot. to take the machine analogy a step further (please try to wrap your head around the concept of an analogy so I don't have to explain that one to you too), consider diesel engines that were "fine tuned" to burn petroleum diesel, but can USUALLY successfully run on biodiesel. It is worth noting that these engines can only run on biodiesel under ideal conditions. You have to use the fuel they were designed to use in order to get maximum performance.

Ok, then using your own analogy (see if you can wrap your head around the concept of consistency), a meat-containing diet is superior to a vegetarian diet, because, except possibly under ideal conditions, you have to eat meat to get the maximum performance from the body. So, like I've been saying all along, and you've been denying, for some reason, you are arguing that meat-containing diets are superior to vegetarian diets.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Baloney.

Do it. You're likely to learn something useful.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

sorry, should have said does NOT SPECIFICALLY leave us susceptible to chronic diseases later in life.

The question in modern nutrition is what diet will minimize our susceptibility to chronic disease, and my point has been that you can't assume that our ancestral diet is best. In fact there is no reason to even suspect that it would be best, for reasons, I stated back in the middle of the thread. Go back and re-read that argument; I'm not going to restate it here. So, you can't assume, just because our ancestors ate meat, that meat is better than soy, or whatever for preventing chronic disease. The easiest case to make, I think, is for dairy and osteoporosis.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I agree, but if you're doing a study, you have to have reasonable measureable outcomes.

yeah, what he said...?

Poor thing. So often out of your depth.

Jay

weschrist

Feb 8, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #483 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, then using your own analogy (see if you can wrap your head around the concept of consistency), a meat-containing diet is superior to a vegetarian diet, because, except possibly under ideal conditions, you have to eat meat to get the maximum performance from the body. So, like I've been saying all along, and you've been denying, for some reason, you are arguing that meat-containing diets are superior to vegetarian diets.

Seriously, you are a fool. You want to go at this? Okay, first define "superior" then maybe we can be on the same page.

Otherwise, pull your head out of your ass and realize that I am saying, with absolute certainty and clarity, that vegetarian diets CAN work just fine for some people but it is OBVIOUS that the human body in general has evolved to be omnivorous. No superior or inferior judgments in any of that.

In reply to:
In reply to:

What, like how to correct an 8th grade level run-on sentence?

In reply to:
The question in modern nutrition is what diet will minimize our susceptibility to chronic disease

and the question for those of us who don't live in chronic fear of death is: "What is going to make my life the best it can be while I'm here?"

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I agree, but if you're doing a study, you have to have reasonable measureable outcomes.

yeah, what he said...?

That is so like you to go back and edit your posts instead of accepting your mistakes and dealing with them.

jt512

Feb 8, 2006, 1:28 AM
Post #484 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Seriously, you are a fool.

I assure you I am not. It is your flawed analogy, not mine.

In reply to:
You want to go at this? Okay, first define "superior" then maybe we can be on the same page.

I already have. A superior diet would be one that lowers total mortality or morbitity.

In reply to:
Otherwise, pull your head out of your ass

I'm getting a little sick of trying to maintain a civil tone in the face of your constant juvenile name-calling and profanity. Try to grow up quickly and have a civil conversation.

In reply to:
and realize that I am saying, with absolute certainty and clarity, that vegetarian diets CAN work just fine for some people but it is OBVIOUS that the human body in general has evolved to be omnivorous.

Okay. Now you are finally saying something reasonable, rather than postulating, by analogy, unspecified optimal conditions for maximum performance.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What, like how to correct an 8th grade level run-on sentence?

Apparently, you would learn the difference between a run-on sentence and a long grammatical sentence.

In reply to:
In reply to:
The question in modern nutrition is what diet will minimize our susceptibility to chronic disease

and the question for those of us who don't live in chronic fear of death is: "What is going to make my life the best it can be while I'm here?"

We're saying the same thing. Life with osteoporosis, etc. isn't much fun.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

yeah, what he said...?

That is so like you to go back and edit your posts instead of accepting your mistakes and dealing with them.

I caught the typo and edited the sentence immediately, apparently while you were composing your response.

Edit: And what the fuck are you talking about. The only "mistake" I made in the thread was for not adjusting for water content in the corn, and inspite of the fact that I admitted to it as soon as you pointed it out, you continue to accuse me of having purposefully lied.

Edit2: You know what, Wes? Go to hell.

Jay

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 8, 2006, 2:04 AM
Post #485 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sorry to interupt your discourse with the mental midget but please back this one up. Can you cite a study that shows a healthful omnivorous diet is inferior to a veggie diet? All I've seen are broad studies comparing fast-food processed garbage diets to veggie diets. Totally irrelevant nonsense that vegans routinely spew. Has anyone ever done a study of an omnivorous diet with plenty of whole grains, veggies, and lean meats to a similar diet substituting more veggie stuff for lean meat?

jt512

Feb 8, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #486 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Sorry to interupt your discourse with the mental midget...

No worries. I am done with him, so you're not interrupting.

In reply to:
...but please back this one up. Can you cite a study that shows a healthful omnivorous diet is inferior to a veggie diet?

First of all, I'm not claiming that a healthful omnivore diet is inferior to a healthful vegetarian diet; only that we can't assume that the such an omnivore diet is healthier based on evolutionary arguments, because we were not susceptible during our evolution to the diseases we die from today.

That said, several studies have attempted to compare life expectencies (or all-cause mortality) between subjects with very low meat intake (less than once per week) with subjects consuming comparable healthy omnivore diets. These studies are summarized in a review by Singh et al.[1] Each of the six studies in the review attempted to match comparably healthy veg. and omnivore diets, but the methodologies for doing so ranged from imperfect to terrible. Probably the most rigorous study, the Adventist Health Study I, was restricted to Adventists, whose diets, whether veg. or not, are typically healthier than the standard American diet. The poorest study that I am familiar with, the British Health Food Shoppers Study, made two serious errors: 1) they didn't assess vegetarian status adequately and 2) they essentially compared two different populations, rather than two subpopulations within a well-defined cohort whose lifestyles might reasonably be considered comparable. The Oxford study asked veg. subjects to select their own meat-eating controls from among their friends, and the other studies I'm not familiar with.

Regardless of the methodological issues (or perhaps because of them), 4 of the 6 studies found greater mean life expentencies (or equivalently, lower mortality) for the low-meat eaters, and none of the studies found significantly greater mortality for the low-meat eaters.

-Jay

Ref.

1. Singh PN, Sabate J, Fraser GE. Does low meat consumption increase life expectancy in humans? Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Sep;78(3 Suppl):526S-532S. Review.
PMID: 12936945

weschrist

Feb 8, 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #487 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear "roy_hinkley_jr",

Next time you are in Vegas look me up, I owe you a beer.

weschrist

Feb 8, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #488 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Each of the six studies in the review attempted to match comparably healthy veg. and omnivore diets, but the methodologies for doing so ranged from imperfect to terrible.

Regardless of the methodological issues (or perhaps because of them [duh]), 4 of the 6 studies found greater mean life expentencies (or equivalently, lower mortality) for the low-meat eaters, and none of the studies found significantly greater mortality for the low-meat eaters.

Classic.

Hey Jay,

You are such a wonderful person. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your amazing wealth of knowledge with us. The world is forever indebted to you.

I'll be at the Quarry this weekend. Wanna hook up and do some climbing?

p.s. very nice work on even more of your edits!

jt512

Feb 8, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #489 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be at the Quarry this weekend. Wanna hook up and do some climbing?

Yeah, you can call me an idiot to my face and see how that works.

Jay

weschrist

Feb 8, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #490 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, you can call me an idiot to my face and see how that works.

I'm sure it will work out just fine. It is when I have my back turned to you that I'm worried about.

daithi

Feb 8, 2006, 5:50 PM
Post #491 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bring this up again but it is just to clarify a point.

In reply to:
What I can tell you is that good research can and does come from religious Universities. You need to critically look at the research; casting aspersions on its validity merely because it was conducted at a religious University is the ad hominem fallacy.
In reply to:
Edit: Let me put this another way. Published research in peer-review journals goes through the same peer-review process whether it comes from Loma Linda or Harvard. As part of your critical read of a study, you should not ignore potential biases of the authors. However, the fact that a study has undergone peer review and been published indicates that it has, in the opinions of experts in the field, scientific merit.

Of course I agree with this. No rational, objective person would disregard all the research from a religious institution. Of course all research should be judged on its merit. In my original post I made the point, that even in the event of there being a potential conflict of interest between the researcher's religious believes and their research,

In reply to:
this is not to question their integrity or even that their hypotheses are incorrect!

Even where there is conflict of interest that is not to say that valid research cannot be done. Obviously, in the absence of a potential conflict of interest between a priori religious believes and research (this would be true for probably the vast majority of research conducted at a religious university), the religious believes are not even relevant.

I feel my point was lost on you, but I'm certain that is in no small part due to the lack of elegance with which it was expressed! It is a deeply personal point for individual scientists and researchers to be aware of how a priori religious and philosophical believes may potentially impact on their objectivism. Of course no-one else can answer that except for the individual but it is an important one for all scientist to address, especially in my opinion, those who's research areas potentially can be influenced by their religious believes. As Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

weschrist

Feb 13, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #492 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry to say I can no longer claim to have any close friends that are vegetarian or vegan. My following friends have started eating meat sometime in the last month:

Person 1: A current PhD student and associate professor who was vegetarian for over a decade. She has a MS in nutritional science and worked in that field for a number of years. She feels better now.

Person 2: A training fiend who has researched various diets including: vegan, vegetarian, zone, atkins (wasn't impressed), paleolith, and others. He and his wife were vegan for nearly a decade (more?) and then he began experimenting with animal products (fish oils, whey, etc) and has noticed a positive change. He is a successful patent lawyer so if you claim he doesn't know how to do research you are a moron.

Person 3: A medical student who is starting her residency soon. She was a vegetarian for nearly a decade and has recently come to terms with her omnivorous side.

Of course this is all anecdotal, as I am sure jt58 and other myopic blowhards will point out, but I found it very interesting considering this recent discussion. In fact, most of the vegetarian acquaintances I know now are under the age of 23....

stay healthy and open minded.

collegekid

Feb 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #493 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently discovered how awesome soymilk is. It's less than a buck for a quart or organic Costco brand soymilk, and a quart has:

-28 grams of protien
-28 grams of sugar (cane juice)
-100% daily calcium
some other vitamins/minerals
400 calories (!!!!)

Compare this with a protein bar:
20 g protein
200-300 calories
$2

Not that this really adds to the "veg vs. meat eating" argument, but I thought I'd share how cool soymilk is.

collegekid

Feb 17, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #494 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sorry to say I can no longer claim to have any close friends that are vegetarian or vegan. My following friends have started eating meat sometime in the last month:

Person 1: A current PhD student and associate professor who was vegetarian for over a decade. She has a MS in nutritional science and worked in that field for a number of years. She feels better now.

Person 2: A training fiend who has researched various diets including: vegan, vegetarian, zone, atkins (wasn't impressed), paleolith, and others. He and his wife were vegan for nearly a decade (more?) and then he began experimenting with animal products (fish oils, whey, etc) and has noticed a positive change. He is a successful patent lawyer so if you claim he doesn't know how to do research you are a moron.

Person 3: A medical student who is starting her residency soon. She was a vegetarian for nearly a decade and has recently come to terms with her omnivorous side.

Of course this is all anecdotal, as I am sure jt58 and other myopic blowhards will point out, but I found it very interesting considering this recent discussion. In fact, most of the vegetarian acquaintances I know now are under the age of 23....

stay healthy and open minded.

To provide counter-anecdotal evidence:

A friend of mine that is currently in med school drinks heavily (6-7 nights a week), eats mostly fast food/pizza, and is easily passing med school. When I lived with him during undergrad school, the healthiest thing I saw him eat was an iceberg lettuce salad smothered in ranch dressing with ham and american cheese sprinkled on top. Doctors are just as unhealthy as anyone.

Another friend of mine (applying to med school) is Indian and eats no meat. I think he lives off of pizza alone, and is super skinny with terrible skin...not exactly living a healthy lifestyle...he rarely leaves his room and wears the same clothes all day (pj's). Again, being a doctor or having a degree has no relation to personal lifestyle choices.

One of my roomates is Indian, has been vegetarian his whole life. Highly successful engineering student, currently works for Qualcomm. He said that India has much lower rates of obesity-related illnesses than US does (but that's not saying much, most nations can say that). They have low rates of heart diseases etc.

I think if you were to take one healthy adult, and have him live his entire life while either a) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat-free diet, b) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat diet, and c) eating any diet that is not balanced and healthy, the results for a and b would be the same, while for c you would obviously have negative results.

IMHO, it is far easier to get a healthy, well-balanced diet while not eating meat, especially if you are on a low budget. Most meat and meat products are high in saturated fats whose negative health impacts far outweigh any positives that are gained from the high protein/iron content. To get a healthy well balanced meat diet, you have to eat only the highest quality meats (low fat chicken breast, dunno which parts of cow).

Weschrist, perhaps your friends that said that eating meat made them feel better weren't eating healthy, balanced diets while vegetarian? A lot of vegetarians (like my friend applying to med school) make the bad habit of eating convenience foods that are meat free, when they (like EVERYONE) need to be eating lots of veggies, high fiber, etc, and once they started eating meat, they also started eating veggies and whatnot.

weschrist

Feb 20, 2006, 2:33 AM
Post #495 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first two people sound like they don't give a shit about their diet. Using these kind of people to compare a healthy meat vs. no meat diet is the whole problem with 99% of of the pro-veg literature and pro-veg stance.

In reply to:
He said that India has much lower rates of obesity-related illnesses than US does (but that's not saying much, most nations can say that). They have low rates of heart diseases etc.

I am not arguing that the typical American diet is in anyway good. But in said countries they also don't sit at their desks all day or in their cars for hours to get to and from the grocery store, and they eat much less processed foods.

In reply to:
I think if you were to take one healthy adult, and have him live his entire life while either a) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat-free diet, b) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat diet... the results for a and b would be the same

My point... over and over again...

In reply to:
IMHO, it is far easier to get a healthy, well-balanced diet while not eating meat, especially if you are on a low budget.

I completely disagree:

1 quart of soymilk (enjoy!) = 28 g protein, 400 calories, $1

4 oz grass-fed hamburger = 38 g protein, 573 calories, $1.25

(that is 30 grams of protein/$1 and 458 calories/$1 for beef)

and before you argue that most of those calories come from saturated fat you should know that less than 10% of the fat in grass fed beef is saturated... plus grass-fed beef has an omega 6:3 ratio comparable to fish. I don't think many nutritionists would argue that cane sugar is better for you than high quality unsaturated fat. If you don't know the significance of EFA's it really is an interesting field to research.

wanna compare something else, some other nutrient perhaps? Here's the beef:
http://www.yaledining.org/menu_nutr.cfm?mRecp=8817

In reply to:
Weschrist, perhaps your friends that said that eating meat made them feel better weren't eating healthy, balanced diets while vegetarian?

Possibly, but I guess that is relative... I think it was pretty healthy. The training fiend friend ate dinner over hear after a day of climbing and ate: 4 zucchinis, an onion, 1 package of extra firm tofu, a can of beans, some other vegetables I can't remember (but not canned and only lightly cooked), and finished it off with a soft tofu/fruit smoothie... during the day of climbing he ate fake soy meats, nuts, carrots, and humus.

I'm not saying you should eat meat... but you should be informed and not make the assumption that vegetarian = good, meat = bad.

collegekid

Feb 20, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #496 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The first two people sound like they don't give a s--- about their diet. Using these kind of people to compare a healthy meat vs. no meat diet is the whole problem with 99% of of the pro-veg literature and pro-veg stance.

In reply to:
He said that India has much lower rates of obesity-related illnesses than US does (but that's not saying much, most nations can say that). They have low rates of heart diseases etc.

I am not arguing that the typical American diet is in anyway good. But in said countries they also don't sit at their desks all day or in their cars for hours to get to and from the grocery store, and they eat much less processed foods.

In reply to:
I think if you were to take one healthy adult, and have him live his entire life while either a) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat-free diet, b) eating a well-balanced, healthy meat diet... the results for a and b would be the same

My point... over and over again...

In reply to:
IMHO, it is far easier to get a healthy, well-balanced diet while not eating meat, especially if you are on a low budget.

I completely disagree:

1 quart of soymilk (enjoy!) = 28 g protein, 400 calories, $1

4 oz grass-fed hamburger = 38 g protein, 573 calories, $1.25

(that is 30 grams of protein/$1 and 458 calories/$1 for beef)

and before you argue that most of those calories come from saturated fat you should know that less than 10% of the fat in grass fed beef is saturated... plus grass-fed beef has an omega 6:3 ratio comparable to fish. I don't think many nutritionists would argue that cane sugar is better for you than high quality unsaturated fat. If you don't know the significance of EFA's it really is an interesting field to research.

In reply to:
Weschrist, perhaps your friends that said that eating meat made them feel better weren't eating healthy, balanced diets while vegetarian?

Possibly, but I guess that is relative... I think it was pretty healthy. The training fiend friend ate dinner over hear after a day of climbing and ate: 4 zucchinis, an onion, 1 package of extra firm tofu, a can of beans, some other vegetables I can't remember (but not canned and only lightly cooked), and finished it off with a soft tofu/fruit smoothie... during the day of climbing he ate fake soy meats, nuts, carrots, and humus.

I'm not saying you should eat meat... but you should be informed and not make the assumption that vegetarian = good, meat = bad.

Can you store your 4 oz grass-fed beef hamburger in your office indefinitely? I also don't have to cook my soy milk. Convenience is just as important to me as cost and health. If convenience wasn't an issue I'd go live on a commune and personally raise all of my food from scratch with no pesticides or hormones, but I'd prefer to continue with my current lifestyle.

I'm only comparing beef with soymilk because you started it, anyway, although it's not really relevant to the argument.

The point of me bringing up the vegetarian Indian culture is that it shows that you don't need meat to survive. An entire subset of humanity has lived perfectly well without eating meat, so why can't I?

My brother has been a vegetarian for a long time. I asked him why he chose to become vegetarian, and he has only one reason:

Animals are not products.

Though my reasons are more varied and health-related, his view is just as relevant. Why kill another living being for your sustenance when it's unessecary?

weschrist

Feb 20, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #497 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="collegekid"]Can you store your 4 oz grass-fed beef hamburger in your office indefinitely? [/qoute]

sure, it is called jerky.

In reply to:
but I'd prefer to continue with my current lifestyle.

then please don't compare your convenient vegetarian diet to a healthy meat eating diet where people take the time and energy to prepare healthy meals. But you are right, if you want to compare a convenient fast food diet to a convenient soymilk/psuedo-meat/whatever diet then obviously the no meat option is better... but not by that much.

In reply to:
...because you started it, anyway...

did not, you did... (I'm joking)

In reply to:
An entire subset of humanity has lived perfectly well without eating meat, so why can't I?

an entire subset of humanity has also lived without health care, cars, offices, etc etc etc... you are free to live how you want... enjoy.

In reply to:
Animals are not products.

they have been products for millions of years. humans are products too. just because something is a product does not mean it can or should be abused... but they are products none the less.

In reply to:
Though my reasons are more varied and health-related, his view is just as relevant. Why kill another living being for your sustenance when it's unessecary?

why continue living at all when it is "unessecary?" above you mentioned your convenience, you choose your lifestyle because it makes you happy... I choose to eat animals because it makes my life better. To each their own. But if convenience (or morals, or whatever) is your arguement you should stick with it and stop trying to justify it with other things, like nutrition, etc. Do what makes you feel the best... but do it wisely cuz there is no reason to confuse the matter with bs.

kantkatchme

Feb 20, 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #498 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok...ive sorta been watching this thread progess. well im not sure i would call it that.

i have been a vegitarian off and on since i was 11.
my reasons then were because my "sister" was a vegitarian and i wanted to be like her.

now my reasons are diffrent. i think its unnecissary to eat meat when we can survive off plants. why bother cutting down the rainforests that provide our planet with O2. i could go on....but i dont feel like making a post that goes down for 5 minutes.

when i have eaten meat it has been because it was easier (this is when i was small) or if i am training hard. (ski team) but i now my body cant handle it at all. i know that to reintorduce it to your system you are sposed to start with broth. well i cant stomach broth anymore.

if we were still hunters and gathers then i could understnd eating meat. but we have the ability to make food that does not take so much energy and provides the same nutrition. sure you may have to eat a diffrent amount of food. but it might just be healthier for you in the long run.

well thats all....i forgot my point. :roll:

peace

jt512

Feb 20, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #499 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you care about your health, you won't be eating many of those things, whether they are grass fed or not. That burger is 17% (of energy) from saturated fat, and has SFA/PUFA ratio of 4.9 (which is terrible). Compare that with Atlantic salmon: 6% saturated fat and an SFA/PUFA ratio of 0.4. Your figures appear to be for a cheeseburger, and they hardly support your claim that grass-fed beef is healthy. Even if it is, you don't want to put it in a bun and and eat it with cheese.

Jay

collegekid

Feb 20, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #500 of 522 (19886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If you care about your health, you won't be eating many of those things, whether they are grass fed or not. That burger is 17% (of energy) from saturated fat, and has SFA/PUFA ratio of 4.9 (which is terrible). Compare that with Atlantic salmon: 6% saturated fat and an SFA/PUFA ratio of 0.4. Your figures appear to be for a cheeseburger, and they hardly support your claim that grass-fed beef is healthy. Even if it is, you don't want to put it in a bun and and eat it with cheese.

Jay

Hmmm....I suppose putting a few slices of smoked cheddar on my veggie burger isn't the best thing for my health...6 g of saturated fat per serving! Although, if that is the only saturated fat I eat today, it's only 30% of the RDA.

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook