Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Iowa Access Issues!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aulwes

Aug 16, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Iowa Access Issues!  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: St__George_Area_Crags: Black_Rocks: Sunny_Side)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What information I have dated 9/5/01 if you have any news please feel free to add it, as I will do too.

Natural Resource Commission has set this in to law:
Quote: 571-61.3(13)
Rock climbing or rappelling. The rock climbing practice known as free climbing and climbing or rappelling activities which utilize bolts, pitons, or similar permanent anchoring equipment, or ropes, harness, or slings are prohibited in state park and recreation area, except by persons or groups registered with the park management or technician in charge of the area. Individual members of a group must each sign a registration. Climbing or rappelling will not be permitted at Ledges State Park, Boone County; Dolliver Memorial State Park, Webster County; Stone State Park, Woodbury and Plymouth counties; Maquoketa Caves State Park, Jackson County; Wildcat Den State Par, Muscatine County; or Mines of Spain Recreation Area, Dubuque County. Other sites may be closed to climbing or rappelling if environmental damage of safety problems occur of if endangered or threatened species is present.

[ This Message was edited by: aulwes on 2002-08-15 21:17 ]

aulwes

Aug 16, 2002, 3:38 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Iowa Access Issues! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also looking for information on regulations for county parks...
As I said in Looking for climbing partners There is a county park near my house with great tons of great climbs!!! But I don't want to have access issue if too many people climb there. I also want to share it too so people can help me clean it up. (what do you climbers think?)

wildtrail

Aug 16, 2002, 4:34 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I write for the Access Fund and Wisconsin Outdoor Access.

I've researched these issues before. You have to check each individual county as it is up the the county on how they control and manage each park. I would contact the County Clerk and ask he/she on where you should look and who he/she can direct you to.

This will be your best bet.

Steve

klymer

Aug 19, 2002, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have stopped climbing in certain areas due to this issue, not wanting to cause problems It would be nice to have some guidelines/templates to use when working with land managers, not to mention someone else to help out. It's not easy or even feasable to approach land managers regarding climbing access as a single person representing a user group. (especially in North Iowa)

aulwes

Aug 19, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sent an Email to the Dallas County Conservation, but I have gotten no reply.
I guess I'll climb there untill they have a problem with it. If they do have a problem I will contact The Access Fund, and have everyone I talk to, to send them letters allowing climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook