Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

tradmanclimbs

Oct 7, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #51 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Re: What Is Tallest Cliff In Eastern US? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a devout cannon fan as the cliff is in my back yard. I cruised it one day with A Yos, Valley local who gave it the thumbs up and said "this is a real Cliff" but your knob down there in NC looks pretty fun as well. All depends on how many Rt's and what the featuers are, how good the pro is etc . If there are a bunch of good well protected routs I would love to check it out 8^) If it's just another run out scare fest why bother driveing 15hrs :roll: there is pleanty of that crap to be had arround here 8^)

Partner polarwid

Oct 8, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #52 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There is a route on Laurel Knob that is 1180 feet, making it the longest route east of the Mississippi.

Make your contributions to the CCC now. This thing is HOT!

The longest route is not what the OP asked for. He asked for the tallest cliff. The longest route that I know of is a complete traverse around Seneca. I don't have the book in front of me, but I want to say it is either 42 or 24 pitches. Someone else correct me please.

The GREAT WALL traverse on the TRAPPS in the GUNKS is definately longer than that...

ambler

Oct 8, 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #53 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
There is a route on Laurel Knob that is 1180 feet, making it the longest route east of the Mississippi.
The longest route is not what the OP asked for. He asked for the tallest cliff. The longest route that I know of is a complete traverse around Seneca. I don't have the book in front of me, but I want to say it is either 42 or 24 pitches. Someone else correct me please.
The GREAT WALL traverse on the TRAPPS in the GUNKS is definately longer than that...
The girdle traverses of Cannon are about 6,000 feet either way. Not done very often, AFAIK.

v10mike

Oct 8, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #54 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see no one has mentioned the South Basin of Mount Katahdin in Maine. It definately can't compete for vertical height but I'm wondering if you include all the 4th class from the pond up through Pamola to the summit, it might be greater than 1,000 feet of vertical climbing.

Partner gunksgoer

Oct 8, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #55 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Make your contributions to the CCC now. This thing is HOT!

I was thinkin just the same thing. Its supposed to be one of the longest, if not THE longest route in the world.

carolinakinight

Oct 8, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #56 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you guys have never heard of the Endless Wall traverse at the New.... :wink:

tradmanclimbs

Oct 9, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #57 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Girdle traverses are for wankers on too much acid with too much time on their hands :roll: many of them were put up on alchohol and drugs. That laural knob looks like a pretty decent sized cliff. will anyone pleeezzze answer my FCKN question about how many routs it has and if any of them have decent pro? Are there any decent lines waiting to be climbed? we know cannon has a ton of good rt's. to bad they keep falling off :shock:

cccman

Oct 10, 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #58 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course it has routes, estimates range between 40 and 70. Some are better protected than others. We plan on replacing all the old nasty bolts, some of which originally had bailing wire twisted to form hangers. There is room for a few new routes but, 1- they need to be done in proud NC ground up style and 2- you'll have to beat me to them!
Send your donations today! :D

nowinowski

Oct 10, 2005, 1:42 PM
Post #59 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word on the street is laurel has limited potential for new free climbing routes and few ?any cracks.

badfinger

Oct 10, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #60 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No long cracks on Laurel that I know of. It's steep slab and verticle face climbing. Routes were put up on lead with hand drilled bolts. Long run-outs are the norm in that style of climbing, so bring yo sac. There are some classic moderates on it as well that are well protected.

If you haven't been climbing in NC, you should really come experience it. Proud climbing on bullet stone in some of the prettiest places you'll ever go. The CCC is also helping to purchase Rumbling Bald, granite with Yosemite style splitter cracks and features. The climbing season never ends down here, so bring it!

synrock

Nov 14, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #61 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tallest cliff withon 2 hrs of harrisburg?

That's simple - Mapletown (near mt union) clocks in at just shy of 300 ft.

bowers

cccman

Nov 15, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #62 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The CCC closes on this mammoth cliff next month! If you are kind hearted, love climbing on awesome granite and have a few tax deductible dollars to give to a nonprofit charity at the end of the year, NOW IS THE TIME!!! Go to www.carolinaclimbers.org for details on how to save this national treasure. So far we have received donations from: NC, SC, Georgia, Mass, Utah, Minnesota, Colorado, NY....
Thanks!

climbtech_108

Apr 1, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #63 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the tallest Mountain east of the Mississippi is Mnt. Mitchell. So I would say that there are some decent cliffs on it, I'll let you know in person this May.

cccman

Apr 1, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #64 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is rock climbing.com, not backpacker :D No decent cliffs on Mitchell, it is a heck of a hke though.

aaronbr86

Apr 1, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #65 of 65 (16586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this is rock climbing.com, not backpacker :D No decent cliffs on Mitchell, it is a heck of a hke though.

only if you go down the powerline to the campground. i absolutely despise switchbacking across a powerline. you are wasting your time if you go this way.

-Aaron

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook