Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

justthemaid

Apr 11, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 55 (5838 views)
Shortcut

ever had your rack stolen?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My curiosity has been perked.

In the "Rack Pictures" thread, both Cosmicragsman and Holdplease mentioned having their entire trad racks stolen at some point. (Coincidentally- both were at Josh in different years).

It got me wondering how common this really is. Given the time, money, and emotional investment many of you have in your gear, it might be educational for those who have had gear stolen to list the time, locations, and circumstances of your theft.

What do you do to protect your investment now?

Post up some stories.

hereandthere

Apr 11, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #2 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Re: ever had your rack stolen? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never had my gear stolen but I protect my gear whenever it's in my car by running a bicycle U lock through everything I can. ie cams, wires on nuts, slings... and I lock it to the frame under my seat. Its out of sight and going to take them it a bit longer to get it if they do break in.
Also when I travel I keep everything locked together in my luggage.

zozo

Apr 11, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #3 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...es/2004-05-20dog.jpg

cosmiccragsman

Apr 11, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My First rack was stolen at JT, in 1988, when a few friends and I were moonlight climbing. all I had with us was some QDs and rope plus personel gear.
All the rest of my gear, almost everything was locked in my truck.(I was at the latter end of my 5 week vacation to Yosemite and Zion and JT)They broke thru my window, and got all my pro and big wall gear.
My second rack was stolen in 1992, when some thieves stole my truck and camper from the house I was living in at the time. I got my truck back 4 days later, stripped, no camper, and no climbing gear. :evil:
All my equip., both times were stamped with a D W on them.
Just goes to show, even if you mark your equip., a thief will take it.
Anybody out there with DWs marked on their equip? :evil:
Oh well, whoever took it, has probably retired my ancient equip. by now.

Cosmiccragsman

healyje

Apr 11, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #5 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything, 1993 - car parked in front of now wife's house with nothing visible in the vehicle. They crashed it anyway and found the pack. USAA insurance wrote out a replacement value check without so much as a list. Unfortunately I had a lot of old stuff that didn't get replaced until ebay came along like the #8 Titon on shoulder sling I hate climbing without.

sspssp

Apr 11, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #6 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I have a seperate compartment in my van where I store my rack. So even if somebody breaks a window, there will have to chop through some plywood to get to it (which could be done, but will take longer and make more noise).

And the final answer is:

renter's insurance

which will pay to replace (not refund current value) my rack if it is stolen anywhere.

Partner holdplease2

Apr 11, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #7 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those of you who think your "homeowners" or "renters" insurance will replace your rack for you may get a nasty surprise.

My "homeowners" had a limit of $5000 that they would replace. On top of that, they are depreciating everything a third or more when they are paying for it.

If I replace a $50 cam, I will probably get $35. I thought I had 'replacement' insurance, but I was wrong. They will replace it with the equivalent, which is a used cam, which is abouit 2/3 the value of a new.

Now I don't take my whole rack when I go on trips and won't be on walls. I still have the insurance, I don't leave any rack in my car...it all goes to the base with me. If I have a hotel, I bring the rack in at night. If I leave sight of the ground for long, my rack and pack will be hidden, or at least in the pack without cams showing.

I like the idea of the bike chain/device run thru the gear and under the seat.

This year two climbers vehicles have been stolen in their entirety. (I think both were in/near Josh...correct me if I'm wrong) Both vehicles were older trucks (nissan, toyota) and doubled as the owners homes.

-Kate.

krusher4

Apr 11, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #8 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had everything stolen Dec 2005. Renters Insurance gave me a deprecated amount up-front then reimbursed me once I bought the gear back and faxed them receipts. It was around $4500, whoever took everything, who climbs on ropes you know nothing about? A fews weeks later a climber was lowering off a route and fell to his death when the rope came-up short, I don't know if it was my gear but Karma is a Bit*h. So have this be a warning to those out there to take what is not their's. My gear was in a locker (pad locked, it was cut off) in a laundry room also locked. In my freaking apt. building!!!

cragmasterp

Apr 11, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #9 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lost a rack, full climbing pack with ropes, shoes, harnesses, etc., and a Bosch drill at the NRG back in '93. It was in our car, hidden under blankets. We were camped within earshot but never heard the crash. They bashed in the window and took it all. Never got any of it back. The drill I had borrowed from a friend and had to pay him back 1st. I climbed barefoot that summer for about 2 months before i could afford shoes. That was one summer when there were a lot of car break ins at the New. It is now not that common there, but be careful!
Lesson Learned!

crimp2bfree

Apr 11, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #10 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing ever stolen, but then again I park my car with the windows down and keys on the dash next to a box of ammo :shock:

Partner brent_e

Apr 11, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #11 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some turd stole gear right out of my bedroom a week ago. Not too much stuff, thankfully. Only a couple ballnuts, a cam, 2 trad draws, and some biners.

partially my fault, partially idiots in the world.

To keep my stuff safe I lock it away (now). I hide it when it's in the car. BUT, i don't have any separate insurance on it. maybe i should.

Brent

kricir

Apr 11, 2006, 9:50 PM
Post #12 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the angry dog idea

sspssp

Apr 11, 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #13 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Those of you who think your "homeowners" or "renters" insurance will replace your rack for you may get a nasty surprise.

My "homeowners" had a limit of $5000 that they would replace. On top of that, they are depreciating everything a third or more when they are paying for it.

Well it pays to check your policy. I got renter's insurance specifically because I wanted to protect my rack. I have a policy that covers $20,000 (it does have a high deductable, ~$1000?). I also got a policy that covers full replacement, no depreciation. I pay more for that, but it is worth it. So those policies are out there, but they are not the standard ones.

I asked my agent how hard it would be to get paid if my climbing gear was stolen, he said (for whats it worth) that they are very good about paying out (evidently there is little fraud in this area compared with, say, accident insurance). He added that if I ever made a claim, they would pay it out and then promptly drop my policy. Once a year I try and take digital photographs of everything I own that I might make a claim on.

fortfun

Apr 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #14 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had all of my climbing gear (rope, rack, every single thing) stolen summer of '94 from a locked foot locker in a tent in the high unitas, Utah

USAA homeowners covered replacement less deductable but I was without gear for too long a time as I shopped and waited for good deals.

12 years and still pisses me off :evil:
Pretty sure it was a Boy Scout too,.... Honest my ass :roll:

I now protect it like this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/...v-tread/IMG_0123.jpg

pendereki

Apr 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hereandthere wrote:
In reply to:
I protect my gear whenever it's in my car by running a bicycle U lock through everything I can. ie cams, wires on nuts, slings...

Thanks for that tip, hereandthere, that one earned you a trophy. :D

CM

takanhase

Apr 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #16 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I protect my gear whenever it's in my car by running a bicycle U lock through everything I can. ie cams, wires on nuts, slings...

That is one of the best tips I have ever herd on this site. I am buying a bicycle lock before my next road trip. Thaks hereandthere.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 12, 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #17 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Entire trad rack stolen out of my pack at the base of directissima Gunks 1986. Hooked up with friends and Tim was leading the first pitch so we used his rack. left mine in the pack at the base of the climb. This was way before the days of rap stations at the Gunks. By the time we finished the climb and walked off we had been cleaned out!!. They actually sorted through Tims pack and took a few newer pieces that he had left in his pack but passed on his older crap. No insurance at the time. I don't climb at the gunks if I can help it but i do have rental insurance with replacement value and 250 deductable.

dingus

Apr 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #18 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rack stolen from truck (punch through rear sliding window), partner's spare gear also lifted. Never recovered. Done while on Central Pillar of Frenzy. Insurance covered the loss nicely.

DMT

hand2foot

Apr 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #19 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couple of years back whomever stole my rack out of my truck, picked through it and took the best stuff, left the ratty draws, rope. ect. Def. climbers

Two nights ago outside our apt. different story. My bf has a compartment to hide gear in his truck. Didn't work. Some shitheads (obviously none climbers since we live in the ghetto far from any rock climbers) stole his rigging equipment that he uses for work.

I clip my dog to my pack at the base of routes. She's a pit. It's worked so far for thieves of both the four legged and two legged kind. Unfortunately, it would be mean to confine her to the back of the truck every night for the rest of her life.

markc

Apr 12, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #20 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now I don't take my whole rack when I go on trips and won't be on walls. I still have the insurance, I don't leave any rack in my car...it all goes to the base with me. If I have a hotel, I bring the rack in at night. If I leave sight of the ground for long, my rack and pack will be hidden, or at least in the pack without cams showing.

Good advice. I also make a practice of never leaving gear in the car if I have an alternative. The pack with the rack is the last thing in the car and the first thing out after trips. If I'm at home, the gear's in the house, too. That said, it's difficult to deal with gear storage during trips. Do you hide it in the tent or in the car? How do you secure it? I've heard suggestions to bolt lock boxes in your vehicle, and the bike lock is a good cost-effective alternative. Keeping things out of sight is a good idea, but doesn't always work.

It's a shame to hear about your policy. I'd urge everyone to consider homeowner's or renter's insurance, and to also carefully check your policy to know its limitations. 2/3 of the value and a $5,000 cap sucks, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

markc

Apr 12, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #21 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Had everything stolen Dec 2005...A fews weeks later a climber was lowering off a route and fell to his death when the rope came-up short, I don't know if it was my gear but Karma is a Bit*h. So have this be a warning to those out there to take what is not their's.

I think it's really poor form to imply any link between these two events. The death of a climber (thief or not) is not something to be taken lightly. This is especially the case when you admit you don't know if it was even your gear. I see a lot of claims that thieves deserve to die, and that karma is a bitch. Stealing sucks, but to wish death on someone over possessions seems entirely out of perspective.

2¢,

mark

chossmonkey

Apr 12, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #22 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...es/2004-05-20dog.jpg

It's no wonder that cat needs so much firepower! :lol:

Partner holdplease2

Apr 12, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #23 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding Trips:

I sleep in my truck when I camp, so there's no tent thing happening. But if I had to choose, the gear would be in the truck. At least it locks. I've heard stories this year of entire tents/sleeping setups being stolen in Josh this year. In josh I often stay camped in a friends drive or more often
get a room somewhere and share with friends.

When I climb in Yos I stay with a friend who lives nearby or go home at night, because I only live an hour away.

-Kate.

markc

Apr 12, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #24 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When I climb in Yos I stay with a friend who lives nearby or go home at night, because I only live an hour away.

-Kate.

Lucky devil. To my shame, I still haven't made it out to the valley.

tenesmus

Apr 12, 2006, 2:35 AM
Post #25 of 55 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
USAA insurance wrote out a replacement value check without so much as a list.
That's good news! And they're cheaper than just about everyone else.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook