Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Ghost River Valley, AB. Slideshow.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

darkside

Apr 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #1 of 4 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Ghost River Valley, AB. Slideshow.  (North_America: Canada: Alberta: The_Ghost: Ghost_River_Valley)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Many folks may have heard of the access problems in the Ghost River Valley, AB.
Some folks may have heard of the Climbers Access Society of Alberta (CASA) formed in part to work towards maintaining climbers access to this extensive and captivating climbing area.
Some folks may have even heard of the valid scientific study we need to do to maintain access, along with the costs involved.

Most of the work being done is for free by volunteers such as myself but the study has to be done by a qualified firm for the government to accept the results as valid. This will cost money. To that end we are currently pursuing various options from donations, to financial grants, to fund-raising endeavours.

Mountain Magic in Banff was quick to suggest a slideshow and will host an event on the 6th May. The show details are:
Date - 6th May 2006.
Time - Saturday 7:00pm
Location - Mountain Magic gear store in Banff.

The evenings activities will include slideshow presentations by featured presenters and guest presenters; a photo comp; a mini auction; raffles; free door prizes and giveaways; beer and any other way we think of to raise funds.

The featured presenters are scheduled to be Sean Issac and Rob Owens.

The guest presenters could include yourselves. In much the same format as the famed night of lies, we are inviting climbers to submit a presentation idea. The theme is "The Ghost and Myths" and should include a story with a few slides. While it doesn't have to be about the Ghost, any proposal having some sort of Ghost slant will be favoured. So tell us your myth, your adventure, or humourous misadventure. Send your presentation proposal to John Oulette at Mountain Magic, to me via e-mail > verticalg at yahoo dot ca <, or bring your slides out on the evening in the event we have time for extra presenters. This is your chance for a little fame but time may be limited. It can be as little as a couple of minutes, or as long as it takes the crowd to boo you into infamy. There is no cost or fee to be a presenter.

The photo comp will be done in a 50/50 style with an entry fee. 50% of entry fees will be returned in prize money, while 50% will go to the Ghost access fund-raising. The entries will be shown during the evening and after reviewing all entries, the winner will be decided by audience votes. That means if you bring all your friends out, they can vote for your photo, and help raise money for access. Further details will be made available on this soon.

The mini auction and raffles will include a range of prizes and are coming from a couple of sources so far. More details to come. Yes we will have some freebies too.

Knowing how climbers are, a thirsty bunch, there will be "refreshments" available for generous souls who make cash donations to the fund. If you have other suggestions on how we can part you from your hard earned cash, then we are willing to listen..... for a price.
This IS a FUNDRAISER and it is all for a good cause (maintaining access and protecting the environment in the Ghost) so you are asked to be generous, visit the bank machine before coming, and join us for an evening of the Ghost and Myths. Join us and share experiences both on rock and ice. Be inspired, repulsed, and entertained for the evening, maybe all at the same time.

More info will be posted, including admission fees. Yes there will be an admission fee because we are trying to raise funds but it won't be much, less than your first born child if you think we can get away with that. Even if you are poor and can only afford the admission fee, please join us for an entertaining evening.

So who's interested? Post away if you are and you have questions.

darkside

Apr 30, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #2 of 4 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ghost River Valley, AB. Slideshow. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all. some unfortunate news. Owing to circumstances the slideshow will be postponed one week. It will now be held at the same time, 7pm on Saturday 13th May 2006.

I guess the good news is that you now have extra time to put a little slideshow together and join us.

Hey who thinks I should buy a two-four and give them out to the first 24 people at the door?
Hmmmm..... free beer :?

darkside

May 5, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 4 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UPDATE:
For anyone thinking of submitting a photo, here is a deal for you. The fee is $5 per photo however anyone who submits a photo and pays the entrance fee will be entitled to submit an extra photo for free. The entrance fee will also be $5. The winner will be decided by the audience and prize money will be 50% of photo fees with the other 50% going to the Ghost Access Fund. You may enter as many photo's into the comp as you wish

We still have time for more slideshow presenters so give us a shout if you would like to be a presenter. You can bring along your slides or digital shots on the night and we may have time but it would be better if we knew you wanted to showcase your slides in advance.

If you are unable to attend and wish to donate to the fund there are a couple of options. If you want a tax receipt, the ACC is helping us in this respect. See this LTV article for full details. Please make your cheques payable to "The Alpine Club of Canada", with a note in the memo section stating "Calgary Section Ghost Access Fund". Mail your cheques to The Alpine Club of Canada, P.O. Box 8040, Canmore, Alberta, T1W 2T8.
Alternatively you can mail a cheque to the:
Climbers' Access Society of Alberta (CASA)
ATTN: Erin Melnychuk
830 10th Avenue, SW
Calgary, AB
T2R 0A9
The cheque should be payable to the Climbers' Access Society of Alberta. We're not able to handle credit cards or paypal, but soon enough we'll be able to.

http://www.mountainmagic.com/...%20slide%20show2.jpg

darkside

May 15, 2006, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well a huge round of thanks to send out here. First of all to John, his staff, and Mountain Magic. Then I would like to thank my fellow CASA board members for their help and support. I'd like to convey my appreciation to Paul McSorley, Joe Buszowski, Tom Morin, and Sean Issac for presenting. Thanks to Al Black for being doorman and event treasurer. We had a number of people organizing prizes including John from Mountain Magic, Louis-Julien Roy, and Al Black from MEC. They managed to round up prizes from a number of sponsors so I would like to give a big collective thank you to all our sponsors ( I have to admit that I don't remember all the sponsors or suppliers of equipment).
Finally I would like all the people who attended to know you made the night a lot of fun and a big success, THANK YOU.

In the end, we had 50-60 people there (harder to count in the dark :roll: ). Between us we managed to raise over $1000 towards maintaining access to the Ghost and protecting the areas ecology. It was a great show and we will be doing another in Calgary next but that is still to be arranged. Stay tuned.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook