madriver

Sep 29, 2006, 2:16 PM
Post #26 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is it with wackos in US [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a friend that is a cop and he was cleaning his weapon while watching TV with his wife and two kids. The weapon discharged and blew a hole in his TV screen. Should we now say that cops cant bring their weapons home with them. We can say guns don't kill people, that people kill people. We can say that we should physco analyze these freaks and find the root cause of their malfunctions. We can say that people are bored and uneducated. But IMHO, we need to hold people accountable for their actions. To many times we are seeing criminals getting light sentences for terrible crimes they committed because they were abused, picked on, homeless, fired from their jobs, expelled from school, eating to much fatty foods or that the devil told them to do it.

WTF!!! Is he still a cop? If so.....why? Stupid people with guns should not be police....

fmd

Sep 29, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #27 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I have a friend that is a cop and he was cleaning his weapon while watching TV with his wife and two kids. The weapon discharged and blew a hole in his TV screen. Should we now say that cops cant bring their weapons home with them. We can say guns don't kill people, that people kill people. We can say that we should physco analyze these freaks and find the root cause of their malfunctions. We can say that people are bored and uneducated. But IMHO, we need to hold people accountable for their actions. To many times we are seeing criminals getting light sentences for terrible crimes they committed because they were abused, picked on, homeless, fired from their jobs, expelled from school, eating to much fatty foods or that the devil told them to do it.

WTF!!! Is he still a cop? If so.....why? Stupid people with guns should not be police....

Dude, you got no idea. There are cops out there that beat their wifes, beat thier kids, that are drunks and are still on the job. They are just people and they make mistakes like the rest of us.

But, this cop is a good guy. This took place 4 years ago, and he got promoted twice over so far. He is a Miami FL. cop and he even carries an automatic weapon in his patrol car since he is a supervisor. I don't know if he is really stupid, he speaks French and Spanish for there are a lot of Haitians and Cubans in Miami. Also he has a Masters degree. Maybe he was just careless (hopefully just that one time)....

gvp

Sep 29, 2006, 2:38 PM
Post #28 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people. :wink:

And yeah, the doctor statistic clearly describes how statistics ca be quickly turned around to something absurd :lol:

madriver

Sep 29, 2006, 2:39 PM
Post #29 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But, this cop is a good guy. This took place 4 years ago, and he got promoted twice over so far. He is a Miami FL. cop and he even carries an automatic weapon in his patrol car since he is a supervisor. I don't know if he is really stupid, he speaks French and Spanish for there are a lot of Haitians and Cubans in Miami. Also he has a Masters degree. Maybe he was just careless (hopefully just that one time)....

...HIS COLLEGE EDUCATION IN no WAY MEANS HE IS NOT STUPID....AND NO...HE SHOULD NOT BE ALOWED TO CARRY A FIREARM...sorry about the caps....not be allowed to carry a firearm as a public servant. TGreene where for art thou my friend? Your description of his (one time mistake) is enough to further arguments about gun control. First of all cleaning any weapon in my living room with my wife and kids present is bad enough, but then to have it discharge with ammo in the chamber...? Dude...he should stay in college...become a grad student for lyfe.....

P.S...is this the same cop caught on video giving a demo to high school kids and had his revolver go off during his presentation?

fmd

Sep 29, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #30 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

...HIS COLLEGE EDUCATION IN no WAY MEANS HE IS NOT STUPID....AND NO...HE SHOULD NOT BE ALOWED TO CARRY A FIREARM...sorry about the caps....not be allowed to carry a firearm as a public servant. TGreene where for art thou my friend? Your description of his (one time mistake) is enough to further arguments about gun control. First of all cleaning any weapon in my living room with my wife and kids present is bad enough, but then to have it discharge with ammo in the chamber...? Dude...he should stay in college...become a grad student for lyfe.....

P.S...is this the same cop caught on video giving a demo to high school kids and had his revolver go off during his presentation?

I'll give him a call tonight and let him know he should resign his postion and then I'll call his shift commander and let him know also. Gee, thanks for setting me straight on this........

P.S.. what is "gun control"?. I think that most people favor some kind of control on the guns in our citiies. But what exactly does that mean is the problem with enacting legislation on gun control.

atg200

Sep 29, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #31 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was an awful thing - I have friends in Bailey, and man are they going through a tough time.

When you think about crime reporting and the number of wackos in the USA, keep in mind that we have around 300,000,000 people - nearly 4 times the number of people as in the most populous country in Europe(Germany), and roughly 150 times as many people as there are in Slovenia. With that many people, you can unfortunately expect more bad/sensational things to happen.

Compounding that, there are more journalists in the USA then there are people in some small countries, so essentially nothing is going to happen here that won't be widely reported within hours.

madriver

Sep 29, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #32 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I'll give him a call tonight and let him know he should resign his postion and then I'll call his shift commander and let him know also. Gee, thanks for setting me straight on this........

P.S.. what is "gun control"?. I think that most people favor some kind of control on the guns in our citiies. But what exactly does that mean is the problem with enacting legislation on gun control.

...dude...all I'm saying is a person that is trained to handle and carry firearms as a public servant and then does what you describe is cause for that person to take serious stock of wether or not he or she should be allowed to carry any firearm. If not he or she...certainly their supervisor should review it. As far as Gun control....he is a poster child for why most people should NOT be allowed to own or handle firearms. If our own police are as stupid as the one you describe it only makes for more ammo for the anti-gun league....dig? I think Tradmans description comes into play here.

reno

Sep 29, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #33 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Actually, "Guns don't kill people; Stupid drivers talking on cell phones kill people."

madriver

Sep 29, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #34 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Guns don't kill people, people with guns ple.

Actually, "Guns don't kill people; Stupid drivers talking on cell phones ."

...actually I think this is cause for "Justifiable Homicide" in Texas...

fmd

Sep 29, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #35 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

P.S.. what is "gun control"?. I think that most people favor some kind of control on the guns in our cities. But what exactly does that mean is the problem with enacting legislation on gun control.

...dude...all I'm saying is a person that is trained to handle and carry firearms as a public servant and then does what you describe is cause for that person to take serious stock of wether or not he or she should be allowed to carry any firearm. If not he or she...certainly their supervisor should review it. As far as Gun control....he is a poster child for why most people should NOT be allowed to own or handle firearms. If our own police are as stupid as the one you describe it only makes for more ammo for the anti-gun league....dig? I think Tradmans description comes into play here.

So by your reasoning, if he ass ends another vehicle, he should loose his job because he was careless?.....And if you agree with this statement, then all truck drivers should loose their jobs if they have accidents?? The thread was about wackos going off. The weapon discharging was an ACCIDENT. Yes it could have been avoided, but thats why they call them ACCIDENT. And just because someone made a mistake, doesn't make them stupid. He is a smart and honest cop.

madriver

Sep 29, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #36 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

P.S.. what is "gun control"?. I think that most people favor some kind of control on the guns in our cities. But what exactly does that mean is the problem with enacting legislation on gun control.

So by your reasoning, if he ass ends another vehicle, he should loose his job because he was careless?.....And if you agree with this statement, then all truck drivers should loose their jobs if they have accidents?? The thread was about wackos going off. The weapon discharging was an ACCIDENT. Yes it could have been avoided, but thats why they call them ACCIDENT. And just because someone made a mistake, doesn't make them stupid. He is a smart and honest cop.

...UHH...WE ALL DO STUPID THINGS...i JUST HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A PROFFESIONAL...crap sorry about the caps...that is here to "Protect and Serve" being this stupid with a gun....dig? And NO...I see no comparison between a truck driver and a cop with a gun...if you do...then obviously we have more stupid cops than I thought possible....

rhaig

Oct 1, 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #37 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

See, to me your story makes clear the anti-gun argument.

We've already established that criminals seem to have no problem getting hold of guns, so let's assume that your robber has one.

Now why do you need one? To shoot at him as he runs by, provoking an unecessary firefight over insured cash? Wouldn't you be better just staying in your house and out of his way?

But let's imagine that he's not as smart as you reported (pretty smart, by the way) and does break into your house to get your car. Why do you need a gun now? To shoot at an armed man, provoking a firefight in an enclosed space with your family? Wouldn't you be better off giving him your fully insured car?

I think it would be obvious to most people that in the situation you described, adding more guns could only make it worse, and that you have to stretch your mind a long, long way into some kind of bizarre hostage scenario before there's any need at all for you to be waving one around.

see... you and I have already had it out on this front. you know my answer. I wouldn't shoot at him in the street. I would let him have my car, but if he tried to baricade himself in my house with my wife and children because he was being chased by the cops, keeping a cool head and having ready access to the weapon could end the situation quickly. (this is where you say it will escalate the situation) ( this is where I say, it might, but not if it's used at the right time and moment) (this is where you say I've got some hero complex and want a gun so I'll be able to save the day)

did I leave anything out?

(this is where you come up with some inflamitory remark about 'merkins and our guns)

(this is where I pour a glass of some of your country's best exports and don't respond because you won't change your mind or even consider understanding, but not agreeing with, my point of view.)

rhaig

Oct 1, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #38 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Dude, you got no idea. There are cops out there that beat their wifes, beat thier kids, that are drunks and are still on the job. They are just people and they make mistakes like the rest of us.

I work with an ex cop. he quit because his co-workers disgusted him. Either they were stupid, crooked, or both.

rhaig

Oct 1, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #39 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people. :wink:

And yeah, the doctor statistic clearly describes how statistics ca be quickly turned around to something absurd :lol:

lies, damn lies, and statistics. you'll rarely if ever see me quoting stats for that reason.

rhaig

Oct 1, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #40 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Actually, "Guns don't kill people; Stupid drivers talking on cell phones kill people."
is that a bumper sticker? It should be.

fmd

Oct 1, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #41 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I work with an ex cop. he quit because his co-workers disgusted him. Either they were stupid, crooked, or both.

okay....but there are good decent cops out there also. And I agree with you on the stats...if you read the earlier stat's that someone posted, it said accidental gun deaths. How about the gun deaths that was just plain murder. The number climbs drastically.............

rhaig

Oct 1, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #42 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

okay....but there are good decent cops out there also. And I agree with you on the stats...if you read the earlier stat's that someone posted, it said accidental gun deaths. How about the gun deaths that was just plain murder. The number climbs drastically.............

by all means... there are some very fine human beings that are police officers. Those that choose the profession because it's noble and they want to help people make great cops. The ones with the the power complexes and who can't get any other job are the ones that make bad cops.

The reason I hear that the accidental deaths number is quoted is because if we're discussing outlawing guns, then those who wish to comit a crime with a weapon won't care if it's a legal weapon or not. That makes some sense, but without the explaination abd the original number it's just a twisting of stats.

Partner tradman

Oct 3, 2006, 8:18 AM
Post #43 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Four girls shot dead at US school.

Bringing to three the number of shootings at US schools this week.

Is there anyone who would seriously like to come forward and say that the US does not have a problem with guns?

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #44 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The weapon discharging was an ACCIDENT. Yes it could have been avoided, but thats why they call them ACCIDENT. And just because someone made a mistake, doesn't make them stupid. He is a smart and honest cop.
I know a little about firearms, and I also know that what you have described is not referred to as an accident...

What you have described, would correctly and legally be referred to as a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #45 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there anyone who would seriously like to come forward and say that the US does not have a problem with guns?
Keep in mind, that last month Canada had a school shooting, and OJ used a knife...

I don't believe it's so much an issue with guns, as it is with the judicial system as a whole. The way our laws stand (good and bad), no legal actions can be taken against someone unless they have actually committed a crime. This means that you may have a pretty damn good idea that somebody is whacko and has intent, but unless they are found to be insane by a court system (whole different can of worms) or have actually acted upon something in a criminal manner, then we simply have to watch from the sidelines.

Also, the media is hellbent on "glamorizing" specific events, so then tend to skip over the story about a guy that drives across a playground or mows down a sidewalk full of people, because we simply cannot ban cars. Guns on the otherhand... :?

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #46 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The weapon discharging was an ACCIDENT. Yes it could have been avoided, but thats why they call them ACCIDENT. And just because someone made a mistake, doesn't make them stupid. He is a smart and honest cop.

I know a little about firearms, and I also know that what you have described is not referred to as an accident...

What you have described, would correctly and legally be referred to as a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

Well, it depends tgreen.........One of the most recent and famous accidents or NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE is Dick Cheany....UH, no charges were pressed against him. It was ruled an ACCIDENT.... The local prosecutor usally decides if its an accident or if its negligent.

Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss: a mishap: automobile accidents.

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #47 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheney as negligent as well, because he took a blind shot!

The difference in the 2 is huge, with 1 requiring NEGLIGENCE on the part of the operator. Failing to follow the rules of safety (especially when cleaning a weapon), is pure and simple negligence.

That said, I have in fact done the very same thing, and ended up putting a hole in my house... I WAS NEGLIGENT, and I'll never let myself forget it either!

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 1:03 PM
Post #48 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cheney as negligent as well, because he took a blind shot!

The difference in the 2 is huge, with 1 requiring NEGLIGENCE on the part of the operator. Failing to follow the rules of safety (especially when cleaning a weapon), is pure and simple negligence.

That said, I have in fact done the very same thing, and ended up putting a hole in my house... I WAS NEGLIGENT, and I'll never let myself forget it either!

No not so huge....The VP failed to see what he was shooting at and failed to verifiy what was behind what he was shooting..... That is a VERY basic skill that is taught in ANY gun/shooting classes. And yeah, I am sure you wont forget that you accidentally discharged a weapon. Thats called learning from your mistakes. We all make them to some degree. All that I am saying is that you and Steve shouldnt have a criminal record for what you did. It wasnt intentional, nobody got hurt and just because you and Steve made a error, doesnt make you guys STUPID.

Partner tgreene

Oct 3, 2006, 1:11 PM
Post #49 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Criminal no,but it could have been... Stupid YES!!!!

Had anyone been harmed during the negligent discharges that took place while cleaning firearms (mine happened when checking headspace after a rebuild), then charges could and should have been filed for criminal negligence - IE: Negligent Homicide is charged all the time.

fmd

Oct 3, 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #50 of 93 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Criminal no,but it could have been... Stupid YES!!!!

Had anyone been harmed during the negligent discharges that took place while cleaning firearms (mine happened when checking headspace after a rebuild), then charges could and should have been filed for criminal negligence - IE: Negligent Homicide is charged all the time.

Agree....Could have been criminal (it is up to the local prosecutor)...

Hey, funny screen name you got there....Is your name Norman???.....Are ya a sniper??......Are ya holy??........ UHMM.....PLEASE stay away from my kids school.........

Just kidding ya Tim.................. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook