rhaig

Oct 4, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #76 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is it with wackos in US [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't get it. Why is it you think crime will go up if there ordinary people don't have guns? Because they won't be able to "defend" themselves? You think that if a guy wants to rob someone, he won't if he thinks the ones he is going to rob have a gun? Will he instead just go get a job to pay for the food? If sorry, to me it seems VERY unlikely.
You say the criminals will always have guns, but why do they have guns? Might it be because they know victims also have guns, and therefore it would be a lot more risky to rob someone with eg. a knife than with a gun?

I won't quote numbers from anywhere because they're all statistics and you won't believe any numbers I quote anyway...

the idea is that a criminal who plans to assult someone will pick the easiest target. If a criminal thinks that said target may be armed with a gun, they are likely to pick another target or choose not to assult someone that day. To assume that the criminal is always going to assult someone, is to assume that crime is a constant or that the total amount of crime is not affected by the general law-abiding populace having access to firearms.

Crime may go up if the genpop didn't have access to guns because there are always people who on any given day may or may not commit a crime against a person. They may have low paying jobs, or other sources of income, but may commit a crime if the opportunity presents itself. These are the people who could be deterred by a gun carrying public.

Look up numbers from your most available unbiased source. look for violent crime numbers in Florida and Texas (high profile concealed carry states) or other concealed carry states. Some of them show a marked decrease in the crime rate around (yes, "some" is not statistically significant). Look at violent crime rates for Australia and South Africa. They show a marked increase in the violent crime rate around the time their strict gun control measures were put in place. (yes... two countries, not the US. No logical conclusion can be firmly deduced, but it's suggestive of a possible outcome)

In reply to:

Now, you talk about accidental shootings, but how about those who commit murder in the heat of the moment? If a guy stumbles upon his wife cheating, and there is no gun around, and the guy is a violent freaky type, a severe beating might be a little better than if he had a gun the the next drawer and decides its better to just shoot everyone.

Why is it no pro-gunners ever answer this?
Oh...and sorry for bad grammar and spelling. English is my second language.

Sorry... I mentally lumped the two together (accidental shootings and shootings at home). I won't disagree that the mentally unstable (you say violent freaky) type may reach for a gun if it's handy and shoot his cheating wife. I also won't argue that I'd rather be stabbed or beaten than shot, and that without a gun handy he might pick up a knife or bat. However, the violent freaky (mentally unstable) types are the ones that shouldn't have guns. And, in fact, a diagnosed mentally unstable (violent freaky) person is not allowed to legally purchase a handgun in the US.

gvp

Oct 5, 2006, 8:24 AM
Post #77 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the idea is that a criminal who plans to assault someone will pick the easiest target. If a criminal thinks that said target may be armed with a gun, they are likely to pick another target or choose not to assault someone that day. To assume that the criminal is always going to assault someone, is to assume that crime is a constant or that the total amount of crime is not affected by the general law-abiding populace having access to firearms.
I can see your point, however living in a country where no one carries guns and with a very low crime rate all my life may have permanently damaged my view on guns, causing me to think they are not a necessary part of daily living anyone needs.
The thought of everyone around me having guns is not a comforting one.

I just can't get it into my head why a criminal (or a working guy who needs money, doesn't really matter) would choose not to rob someone because they had a gun. I would think most would be smart enough to take precautions if they knew the target carried a gun. Even with 5 guns or 10 guns in ones back pocket, if someone puts a gun to anothers back, there is not much choice but to follow orders.
I do also think this has something to do with other things than guns, eg. the social structure of the country. If even the poorest souls have a chance to live decent without having to do crime, there will eventually be less crime (by my logic, and in Denmark it seems to work OK).

In reply to:
Crime may go up if the genpop didn't have access to guns because there are always people who on any given day may or may not commit a crime against a person. They may have low paying jobs, or other sources of income, but may commit a crime if the opportunity presents itself. These are the people who could be deterred by a gun carrying public.
And others might very well get even worse. Being used to guns might just cause criminals to take a step up, becoming even more cynic and cold because they know everyone is out to get them and have the means to do it. Therefore they will rather kill first and ask later.

In reply to:
Look up numbers from your most available unbiased source. look for violent crime numbers in Florida and Texas (high profile concealed carry states) or other concealed carry states.
Sorry, I have tried. I can't come up with many numbers of this, that makes much sense. In most cases I find good information, it seems overly simplified and already saturated with conclusions. I know I will be asking for information from the wrong guy here :lol: , but can you please show me some, so that I at least can have a look at the same as you?

In reply to:
Some of them show a marked decrease in the crime rate around (yes, "some" is not statistically significant). Look at violent crime rates for Australia and South Africa. They show a marked increase in the violent crime rate around the time their strict gun control measures were put in place. (yes... two countries, not the US. No logical conclusion can be firmly deduced, but it's suggestive of a possible outcome)
Thats very interesting. But when I think about it (obviously with my very biased point of view), I can see how crime would go up for a period of time with recent gun restrictions placed. If the population is used to have guns, and suddenly they are removed, the attitude of the people will not change as fast as the guns are removed. This might cause the effect you were talking about, now the criminals no longer have to take precautions. after some time tho, the criminals may find out it is not such a good idea having guns, because 1: they don't need them anymore. 2: they can easily be arrested now just fro having the gun, its no more legal to carry one.

In reply to:
Sorry... I mentally lumped the two together (accidental shootings and shootings at home). I won't disagree that the mentally unstable (you say violent freaky) type may reach for a gun if it's handy and shoot his cheating wife. I also won't argue that I'd rather be stabbed or beaten than shot, and that without a gun handy he might pick up a knife or bat. However, the violent freaky (mentally unstable) types are the ones that shouldn't have guns. And, in fact, a diagnosed mentally unstable (violent freaky) person is not allowed to legally purchase a handgun in the US.

Hehe, sorry, sometimes I lack words to describe what I mean, I meant mentally unstable. I'm sure you can forgive my simple language. :smile:
In this section, you almost assume all mentally unstable people are automatically stapled "mentally unstable" when they are born. That is not the case i believe, and its a big gray zone with lots of different varieties of mental instabilities. One would have to do something abnormal to be put in the box "mentally unstable", and that thing might be to kill another person with a gun (if there is one :smile:), and then its already too late.

Lastly I want to thank you for keeping the tone this good, though if you think I'm rambling too much say so, because I'm never quite sure :lol:

rhaig

Oct 5, 2006, 2:42 PM
Post #78 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can see your point, however living in a country where no one carries guns and with a very low crime rate all my life may have permanently damaged my view on guns, causing me to think they are not a necessary part of daily living anyone needs.
The thought of everyone around me having guns is not a comforting one.

People sometimes refer to the "gun culture" in the US. We are a country that won it's independance using pretty much just privately owned weapons (and some help from a country (france) that some of us like to make fun of now). Privately owned weapons have become ingrained in the way of living for many Americans.

In reply to:
I do also think this has something to do with other things than guns, eg. the social structure of the country. If even the poorest souls have a chance to live decent without having to do crime, there will eventually be less crime (by my logic, and in Denmark it seems to work OK).

Agreed. It's not just the access to guns that causes gun crime. There are a lot of other factors in the US that contribute.

In reply to:
And others might very well get even worse. Being used to guns might just cause criminals to take a step up, becoming even more cynic and cold because they know everyone is out to get them and have the means to do it. Therefore they will rather kill first and ask later.

This is one of those things we may never know which way it would go. The sociologists can theorize all they want on either side of the discussion, but we won't ever know.

In reply to:
Sorry, I have tried. I can't come up with many numbers of this, that makes much sense. In most cases I find good information, it seems overly simplified and already saturated with conclusions. I know I will be asking for information from the wrong guy here :lol: , but can you please show me some, so that I at least can have a look at the same as you?

I was being sarcastic (though now that I read it again, not very well). There aren't going to be any unbiased sources really. The best you could do would be FBI Uniform Crime Reports http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm They don't go back far enough though.
Any published numbers before 95 are going to be as part of a study on either side of the gun debate. And thus, not raw numbers, but already have conclusions drawn around them.

In reply to:
Thats very interesting. But when I think about it (obviously with my very biased point of view), I can see how crime would go up for a period of time with recent gun restrictions placed. If the population is used to have guns, and suddenly they are removed, the attitude of the people will not change as fast as the guns are removed. This might cause the effect you were talking about, now the criminals no longer have to take precautions. after some time tho, the criminals may find out it is not such a good idea having guns, because 1: they don't need them anymore. 2: they can easily be arrested now just fro having the gun, its no more legal to carry one.

Yes, but the criminal with a knife will have an advantage over a victim with a knife simply by virtue of it already being drawn). We haven't even discussed the 6 foot 250 pound male attacker against the 5 foot 100 pound female victim. Even with the same knives and both weapons drawn, who has the advantage. That's when people start talking about outlawing knives (like the UK right now).

In reply to:
Hehe, sorry, sometimes I lack words to describe what I mean, I meant mentally unstable. I'm sure you can forgive my simple language. :smile:
In this section, you almost assume all mentally unstable people are automatically stapled "mentally unstable" when they are born. That is not the case i believe, and its a big gray zone with lots of different varieties of mental instabilities. One would have to do something abnormal to be put in the box "mentally unstable", and that thing might be to kill another person with a gun (if there is one :smile:), and then its already too late.

I think violent freaky was pretty descriptive. I got the point didn't I? :)

Yes, the diagnosis and classification of unstable people is the downside to using that classification to limit gun purchases.

In reply to:
Lastly I want to thank you for keeping the tone this good, though if you think I'm rambling too much say so, because I'm never quite sure :lol:

There's no reason to get argumentative. (at least not that I see)
And hey... I'm not from Scotland!!

Partner tradman

Oct 5, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #79 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's probably why you're such a pussy that you need a gun to protect yourself from imaginary threats.

:lol:

rhaig

Oct 5, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #80 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's probably why you're such a sissy that you need a gun to protect yourself from imaginary threats.

I prefer the term pussy to sissy thank you very much. :P

Partner tradman

Oct 5, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #81 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, that's what I called you. There's a swear filter on here that swaps all the naughty words; it replaces "pu ssy" with "sissy".

Wouldn't want you to feel under-insulted.

:wink:

rhaig

Oct 5, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #82 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah, that's what I called you. There's a swear filter on here that swaps all the naughty words; it replaces "pu ssy" with "sissy".

Wouldn't want you to feel under-insulted.

:wink:

thanks cock

;)

gvp

Oct 6, 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #83 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People sometimes refer to the "gun culture" in the US. We are a country that won it's independance using pretty much just privately owned weapons (and some help from a country (france) that some of us like to make fun of now). Privately owned weapons have become ingrained in the way of living for many Americans.
This is why I'm afraid to go visit America :lol:

In reply to:
This is one of those things we may never know which way it would go. The sociologists can theorize all they want on either side of the discussion, but we won't ever know.
True. Even if they ever did make a really really big investigation on the subject and interview thousands of people, in which case the money will come from somewhere and hence the whole thing will be biased and therefore worthless.

In reply to:
I was being sarcastic (though now that I read it again, not very well). There aren't going to be any unbiased sources really. The best you could do would be FBI Uniform Crime Reports http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm They don't go back far enough though.
Any published numbers before 95 are going to be as part of a study on either side of the gun debate. And thus, not raw numbers, but already have conclusions drawn around them.
Thanks, I'll try to chew through it when I get the time.

In reply to:
Yes, but the criminal with a knife will have an advantage over a victim with a knife simply by virtue of it already being drawn). We haven't even discussed the 6 foot 250 pound male attacker against the 5 foot 100 pound female victim. Even with the same knives and both weapons drawn, who has the advantage. That's when people start talking about outlawing knives (like the UK right now).
People shouldn't go around with knifes either :smile: In fact, it is already outlawed here in Denmark (7cm or less is allowed), unless you are a boyscout (they tend not to show in the crime statistics) or a hunter. If someone feels threatened pepper spray is in my opinion a better choice than lethal weapons, no permanent harm is done.

In reply to:
I think violent freaky was pretty descriptive. I got the point didn't I? :)

:lol: I guess :lol:

In reply to:
:smile:

rhaig

Oct 6, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #84 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People shouldn't go around with knifes either :smile: In fact, it is already outlawed here in Denmark (7cm or less is allowed), unless you are a boyscout (they tend not to show in the crime statistics) or a hunter. If someone feels threatened pepper spray is in my opinion a better choice than lethal weapons, no permanent harm is done.

7cm is 2.75 inches That's about what the state of Massechusetts allows. That would be legal everywhere in the US I believe. States have laws regarding how large a knife you can carry, but nothing nationally. In Texas, it's 5.5inches (14cm), but no knives that are double edged or auto-opening. (extreme simplification... PM for links to actual TX knife laws)

I've always felt that one should carry a knife. A blade is a useful tool in so many situations. (even around the office)

and yes. I'm a Boy Scout.

Partner tgreene

Oct 6, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #85 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Would you feel better little girl, if we was to push em outta windows..?

wildtrail

Oct 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #86 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and your school system??? do ppl really hate school that much??? or is it just convenient because they think children/teenagers are an easy target?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...americas/5387062.stm

In reply to:
US school siege ends in bloodshed

A gunman and one of the teenage girls he was holding hostage have died after police stormed a school in the US state of Colorado.

The violent end to the siege in the small mountain town of Bailey came after the gunman threatened to harm the two female students he was holding.

The local sheriff said the gunman had shot the hostage and then himself as police attempted to rescue the girls.

The gunman initially seized six girls, but later released four of them.

The injured girl was taken by helicopter to hospital in Denver, where she later died. The other girl was unhurt.

This is simple. First, don't accuse another nation's people of being wackos. On this planet, we are all wackos. Unless, of course, you're some righteous Middle Eastern CULT hellbent on destroying the world because they don't believe in your system or your god or whatever. Then your f*cking wackos. Oh, or Republican. :D

Anyway, the problem as I see it...

Children are coddled too damn much, not spanked enough, given everything they whine for, not taught respect (and love) in the manner in which they need to be. A few generations of parents became very, very lazy. Suddenly cable TV and video games and a host of other things that could keep their children busy replaced the attention that was given to children of my generation and earlier. We were read to, played with, talked to, helped with homework (and it WAS done before dinner), taught, and loved. Time was spent with us. We were taught right and wrong. Then generation screw up (I mean X) showed up and there was an obvious lack of respect (and I apologize for the blanket statement as I know it wasn't ALL of you). They thought or felt things should be handed to them, that working for something shouldn't be part of their lives. Well the fact is, if you want something, you HAVE to work for it unless you're lucky to fall backwards into money.

Also, one of the main problems I see now is not unlike the lack of attention given to Gen X-ers. It's the BS "multi-task" families that literally schedule things like having dinner with their children because their work and their careers are far too important. Family and family time is not an extracirricular, your job, soccer practice, or spinning class is.

I'm going to be a father (we're trying) and I want...no I ask all of you out there to do the same thing my parents did for my sister and I in the 60's and 70's. Read to your kid. Play with your kid. Talk to your kid.....etc.

Even at the most awkward stage in a child's life, when his or her parents aren't considered "cool" (12-16 for most of us) I STILL knew I could talk to them about anything. If a child doesn't feel like he or she can, then without arguement to ME I say a parent has failed at his/her job. That aspect has to be instilled into a child and it doesn't mean they have to come to mom or dad if they have a problem, but it means they have to feel as though they can talk to someone without fear when they need to vent or get advice. I was never affraid to talk to my parents, my sister (big source of advice for me/best friend), my teachers, my counselor, etc. Yes, there were times I hated (literally) fellow students and teachers and yes, my friends and I JOKED (joked only) about different ways of killing that person (woodchippers, dynamite, etc), but NEVER once did it even occur to me as something I should do.

Parents fail, not children.

rhaig

Oct 9, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #87 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well put

couldn't agree more.

good luck in your efforts. (stay out of hot tubs)

and if you're ever in Austin, TX, I'll buy you a beer.

wildtrail

Oct 9, 2006, 4:32 AM
Post #88 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds good to me!

Cheers!

reno

Oct 9, 2006, 4:43 AM
Post #89 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is simple. First, don't accuse another nation's people of being wackos. On this planet, we are all wackos. Unless, of course, you're some righteous Middle Eastern CULT hellbent on destroying the world because they don't believe in your system or your god or whatever. Then your f*cking wackos. Oh, or Republican. :D

... Parents fail, not children.

Bravo, sir. Bravo indeed.

wildtrail

Oct 9, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #90 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

... Parents fail, not children.

Bravo, sir. Bravo indeed.

Thought you'd like that little Republican party. Just had to take the shot. Sorry. It's irrestistable.

However, glad you agree. In the end, it is the parents responsibility. Granted, we need to spend time with our children as all aforementioned so they grow to be nuturing, caring, helpful people. After the weaning period, a person indeed can take some bad turns and make bad decisions, but in the end to me; parents fail, not children.

I had an addiction and was overly prone (and paid) to violence. I may have hurt people along the way, a private pennance I will pay for the rest of my life, but I've never even thought about ending a person's life or hurting, especially, children. I made my mistakes and they were many. Eventually, I emulated my parents. I crawled out of the cell of misdees I placed myself in, started to care, to help, to love. My parents succeeded. It was what they taught me and the love they showed me that brought me to the place I am now.

Hey, I may not be able to stand Republicans because I truly think they are only part of the problem and not the solution, but I have always said to each their own. Regardless of that paper fence, I still care about each and every one of you, your futures, and the lives and futures of your children and family. So be the best you can and teach your children that we are all equal; teach them love.

Cheers!

overlord

Oct 9, 2006, 9:07 AM
Post #91 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

i didnt accuse the people of US of being wackos. i was just wondering why those that are wackos hate you school system so much. i think we can safely conclude that the person who did this thing was not a 'normal' US citizen.

i agree with the rest of your post though.

rhaig

Oct 9, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #92 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i didnt accuse the people of US of being wackos. i was just wondering why those that are wackos hate you school system so much. i think we can safely conclude that the person who did this thing was not a 'normal' US citizen.

i agree with the rest of your post though.

once again the selective reporting comes into play. It's not that we hate our school systems, or the teachers or students. There's just a few not normal people (ok, more than a few, but a very small percentage of the population) who feel like they can shoot up whoever/whatever they want to make their point. It just so happens that you don't hear about the robberies and shootings across the country in national news unless they hit a high profile target (or a school).

So it's not that the wackos attacking schools. It's that they are wacko and there are a lot of them. Occaisionally a high profile target gets in their way and hits (inter)national news. Then it becomes a talking point for Joe Democrat. Nobody talks about the people who use guns to defend themselves or stop crimes. So therefore it never happens right?? Right?? The media reports everything equally because it's not politically slanted at all. Right??

Just keep in mind that there are lots of events not reported by the media because they wouldn't sell enough papers or boost ratings enough.

gvp

Oct 10, 2006, 7:26 AM
Post #93 of 93 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nobody talks about the people who use guns to defend themselves or stop crimes.

:shock:

If you actually have (maybe even vigilante heroes) people going out of their way to stop crime, I'm all for guns. Because we don't have that at all here in europe. Not even with knifes :P

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook