Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acacongua

Mar 7, 2007, 1:00 PM
Post #26 of 37 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
As far as feminist angle goes, the only part that really bugged me was that the series wrapped up on a gal defining her future by way of the type of guy that she hoped to marry.

And that's what a feminist would do - hear a female talk about a guy, particularly in regards to marriage and erroneously discern that the female is defining her life by the man. Listen to it again. The chic has decided her life and has found definition ("My one and only true love is climbing." to "I want my life to revolve around climbing."). It sounds like a climber guy is only icing on the cake.

(This post was edited by acacongua on Mar 7, 2007, 1:35 PM)

iamthewallress

Mar 7, 2007, 4:41 PM
Post #27 of 37 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
And that's what a feminist would do - hear a female talk about a guy,

A feminist is someone who thinks women have equal rights to men and are just as valuable as individuals. You seem to toss it out there like it's a dirty word.

Did you read the last part of my post? Ya know, the part where I say that if the artist didn't present the women's words, but rather her own agenda, it would just be propaganda?

acacongua

Mar 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #28 of 37 (1731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
A feminist is someone who thinks women have equal rights to men and are just as valuable as individuals. You seem to toss it out there like it's a dirty word.

Did you read the last part of my post? Ya know, the part where I say that if the artist didn't present the women's words, but rather her own agenda, it would just be propaganda?

Yeah, but that statement doesn't really overturn what you said.

Feminism is a great thing and not only is about equal rights, it's about the power of choice. We live in a country where marriage or a relationship with a man, as well as raising a family, is only a couple of choices among the many possibilities.

The real point is, you didn't listen to her. The chick in the film said her interests came first, but the mere mention of a guy in her life called in the feminazi/misandrous outcries. That's when, IMO, the word becomes "dirty" - when we scoff at a woman's choice for marriage and even reproduction.

iamthewallress

Mar 7, 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #29 of 37 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
The real point is, you didn't listen to her. The chick in the film said her interests came first, but the mere mention of a guy in her life called in the feminazi/misandrous outcries. That's when, IMO, the word becomes "dirty" - when we scoff at a woman's choice for marriage and even reproduction.

Actually, I did listen to her. And I went back and listened again after reading your last post to make sure I didn't misinterpret her.

My comment might have come off stronger than I intended, but what I was reacting to was the idea that a girl, not a woman, was thinking about "when she grew up and got married". Not if she met the right person, but when. When kids say that (and I thought this way too), it seems almost as though they see marriage and being grown up as part of the same thing. I would encourage my daughter, if I had one, to be happy about a possible future on her own or with a soul mate, since we can't really control whether or not we find one, but we really can trash things if we think that we need to.

The gal in the story also said that she didn't want anything to distract her from her goals (to which I say 'woohoo!'), so maybe it's really just not the time to be thinking about any kind of a partner?

That said, I think where I was really coming from with my comment about being 'bugged' more than actually caring much about this particular climber and her choices/fantasies about the future, was the common trend in women's climbing articles to discuss the women in the context of their men (or potential men in this case) whereas you just don't ever hear about the women in the male climbers life in articles about men's climbing. You hear about their climbing accomplishments with few exceptions.

Sorry this is a little all over the place, but with those thoughts above (hopefully) explained a little better, even if I disagree with her choice to talk about the kind of guy she'd like to marry in a NY Times peice about climbing women, and even though I get sick of the way our men are almost always part of stories about us, I wanted to end my post with a shrug of to each her own. And by each I mean both the girl who wants to marry a climber guy and the artist who told her story.

FWIW, I've been with my partner for 5 years, and we will probably get married, so you can't really say I'm anti-man or anti-marriage. He's really is part of my climbing goals and climbing experiences, but those experiences wouldn't be the first ones I'd include in an article about women climbers.

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Mar 7, 2007, 11:38 PM)

lhwang

Mar 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #30 of 37 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
acacongua wrote:

Actually, I did listen to her. And I went back and listened again after reading your last post to make sure I didn't misinterpret her.

My comment might have come off stronger than I intended, but what I was reacting to was the idea that a girl, not a woman, was thinking about "when she grew up and got married". Not if she met the right person, but when. When kids say that (and I thought this way too), it seems almost as though they see marriage and being grown up as part of the same thing. I would encourage my daughter, if I had one, to be happy about a possible future on her own or with a soul mate, since we can't really control whether or not we find one, but we really can trash things if we think that we need to.

The gal in the story also said that she didn't want anything to distract her from her goals (to which I say 'woohoo!'), so maybe it's really just not the time to be thinking about any kind of a partner?

That said, I think where I was really coming from with my comment about being 'bugged' more than actually caring much about this particular climber and her choices/fantasies about the future, was the common trend in women's climbing articles to discuss the women in the context of their men (or potential men in this case) whereas you just don't ever hear about the women in the male climbers life in articles about men's climbing. You hear about their climbing accomplishments with few exceptions.

Sorry this is a little all over the place, but with those thoughts above (hopefully) explained a little better, even if I disagree with her choice to talk about the kind of guy she'd like to marry in a NY Times peice about climbing women, and even though I get sick of the way our men are almost always part of stories about us, I wanted to end my post with a shrug of to each her own. And by each I mean both the girl who wants to marry a climber guy and the artist who told her story.

FWIW, I've been with my partner for 5 years, and we will probably get married, so you can't really say I'm anti-man or anti-marriage. He's really is part of my climbing goals and climbing experiences, but those experiences wouldn't be the first ones I'd include in an article about women climbers.

I understand where you're coming from... I do think society puts a lot of pressure on women to get married. I know a girl who wanted to be married by 25 with 2 kids by 30 and hasn't reached that "goal" yet, and is devastated by it.

I think maybe you're reading too much into this 17-year old girl's words though. Her exact words were "I want to make sure the person I marry and stuff is into climbing...." That sounds to me like she's hoping that she meets the right person in the future, not that she hopes that when she's married he happens to be a climber too because marriage is oh so important and there's no alternative, dammit, she will be married!

I also think that the right partner will support/encourage/motivate rather than distract, but maybe that's just me.

I kind of find it odd that you make a comment that this article (and others) discuss women in climbing in the context of their men. Beth Rodden and Steph Davis are both married to famous climbers, yet there's no mention of them in this article. Only the 17-year old boulderer talked about a future guy, and I see that as being in the context of climbing rather than the other way around.

But that's just my interpretation... as you say, to each her own.

debsanders

Mar 8, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #31 of 37 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alxg] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I viewed and listened to the piece I was intrigued. I had some of the same views as others, where is the climbing, my God I'd couldn't do that, yes she does have boobs. But my favorite part by far was Alex Puccio.

I have watched Alex grow into a strong (in so many ways) young women. My take was that her life would always evolve around climbing and that in order to live her life they way she wants then her mate in life will have to be a climber too. The woman knows what it will take to make her happy.

d

acacongua

Mar 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #32 of 37 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:

I was reacting to was the idea that a girl, not a woman, was thinking about "when she grew up and got married". Not if she met the right person, but when.

Well, the one thing that came to my mind was "geez, this is out of concept." So it made me wonder if the interviewer asked the ladies about their relationships and goals and the fact that the girl said what I quoted earlier that climbing came first and "right guy for [her] has to be a climber." just exemplified the inherent female power of this slide show. But I guess it can be misinterpreted when the entire script, including questions and full answers are excluded.

Also, congrats on your long standing relationship!! I'm 30 and have avoided any potential nuptial situations. It just hasn't be right ... yet.

clee03m

Mar 9, 2007, 2:23 PM
Post #33 of 37 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wondered the same thing. Must have been asked about relationships then edited to fit the slide. I find it hard to believe if they asked her to make one comment about climbing she would bring up her future spouse. I really liked the other comments.

bmxer

Mar 11, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #34 of 37 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

those pictures were hella lame. I didn't know climbing was all about holding your body rigid.

granite_grrl

Mar 11, 2007, 6:50 PM
Post #35 of 37 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmxer] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bmxer wrote:
those pictures were hella lame. I didn't know climbing was all about holding your body rigid.

I know that you're trying to be a smart ass, but body tension is a huge part of climbing well.

bmxer

Mar 11, 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #36 of 37 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

half the pictures didnt' really have anything to do w/ climbing. For someone who's never heard of rock climbing really at all. Seeing someone at the end of a rope holding their body rigid, is not impressive. What is that I mean, some kind of super meditation technique. It just looks like shes showing off something that doesnt even have anything to do w/ climbing.

alxg

Mar 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #37 of 37 (1494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] "Climb like a Girl" in the New York Times [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
bmxer wrote:

I know that you're trying to be a smart ass, but body tension is a huge part of climbing well.

i'm with you regarding the tension aspect. it's much harder to make static moves then dynamic hail-mary-i-hope-i-hit-the-hold-and-hang-on-moves. i would love to have the core strength that was exhibited by these women.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook