Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

lewisiarediviva

Oct 18, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #101 of 111 (7633 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
feminism is just wanting equality for women...in pay, opportunities, respect, etc.

If this is the definition we're using then yes, I'd have to say I am. But I think the way to get it all is to just go out and do what you want to do. If a woman wants to stay home and raise 6 girls, and she gets to do that- than she is a feminist. Right? We should respect her. I have no respect for the girl that becomes vice president of her dad's company and does a crappy job.

As to Barbie and Math. Funny how much math I teach both my daughter and my son while baking and shopping. In fact when my daughter was 8 and stressed out about the school year because she was going to learn how to divide- I said "How many rows of cookies will you have if I don't want any more than 12 cookies on the tray and you have 3 cookies in a row?" She thought for a second, and said "4." I said "Their, you just divided." She was stunned.

Math is hard, it's not like learning to walk or breath. Reading is hard too (just go volunteer in your local 1st grade). I think Barbie was right to go shopping if she thought Math was hard. What a fun way to learn!

My point is that I avoid getting caught up in what is feminist or not, because I want each person to live up to their potential- with their gifts. If you are stereotypical in any way- well their may be good reason for it. But stereotypes should not hinder anyone to do or not do what they want to do.

(I realize that I may not have actually answered the question on hand. But these are my thoughts. I do think it an excellent question. But I know a few Good Girlie Girls that you could consider feminist with the above definition.)

Live Happy. Be Strong.

thebk

Mar 21, 2007, 7:24 PM
Post #102 of 111 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mother_sheep] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well befor i was a climber, i was considered a tomboy. but i relized that i was just a girl that i was just a girl climber that just says dude a lot. and utterly hates pink.
eh... i have seen other girls using pink chalk bags, where as me... i use a camo one.
i guess that we shoudent realy juge people by the way they look or by there chalk bag

alxg

Mar 21, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #103 of 111 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mother_sheep] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DIRT BARBIE'S RULE!!!!!!!!
i love to get dirty with the best of 'em- but i love to put the little black dress on with the sandles...
a buddy of mine even gave me a tshirt she found on the web that says "Dirt Barbie" and has a pict of a barbie doll complete with harness, shoes, trad gear, helmet and rope (thanks dirt debbie)...
uh, is it really painting your toe nails when you do it to keep them from cracking because your technical shoes are tight??????
i also know a couple of guy climbers that do that so does that make them "Dirt Ken"?

bolderer

Mar 23, 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #104 of 111 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i tossed all my skirts several years ago and haven't looked back. growing up, all tomboy - i was raised by my dad and had one brother. i SO coveted his hand-me-downs. i can go to school wearing something and go straight to the gym and climb in it. if i have to get fancy, i have the Maxazaria suit, silk shirt, etc. i don't know any women who climb who are what i would call "girly" - that brings to my mind the annoying chattery sorority type who talks too loudly on her cell phone in public places, all the while wearing her rainbow flip flops, pink polo shirt and short denim skirt.

(This post was edited by bolderer on Mar 23, 2007, 10:40 PM)

petsfed

Mar 25, 2007, 9:58 PM
Post #105 of 111 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thebk] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thebk wrote:
well befor i was a climber, i was considered a tomboy. but i relized that i was just a girl that i was just a girl climber that just says dude a lot. and utterly hates pink.
eh... i have seen other girls using pink chalk bags, where as me... i use a camo one.
i guess that we shoudent realy juge people by the way they look or by there chalk bag

Pink in climbing is a fashion statement. It states "I think everybody would look better in flamboyantly colored lycra".

aerili

Mar 28, 2007, 6:47 PM
Post #106 of 111 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lil_rockgirl] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "lil_rockgirl"] This is the perfect question for me! I'm still in a huge identity crisis with this. :D

I'm a retired professional ballerina of the Russian Kirov Ballet. My favorite color has and always will be PINK. Up until about three years ago, my biggest concern was my weight! I'm not sure how much more girly a girl can get. (no comments please!)
[/quote]

I used to dance for 10 years (but was not nearly of the caliber that lil rockgirl clearly was). Although the trappings that surround female ballet dancers may seem girly (especially if you're doing 18th century choreography), I think ballet is way hardcore. Ballet was more physically and mentally demanding than any other sport I ever played. Teachers could also be meaner than any coach I ever had.

Ballet involves sweating your ass off, f*cking your feet up (climbers should try stuffing their feet into toe shoes someday...climbing shoes will feel heavenly), and just pushing your body to the limit most days. It's a contact sport too...I've gotten kicked, hit in the face, dropped, you name it. Contemporary choreography requires you to often roll around on a dirty floor too. Yeah, it could be totally hardcore...just minus the dirt and rope grime.

Women need to stop putting themselves in a box. I refuse to be labeled. I live in two worlds and move between them with ease. I like wearing skirts just as much as zip-off pants. I even own two pairs of FM shoes (you know, those heeled kind of shoes that just say "F*ck Me"). Scrapes, bruises and scars accompany the shoes on most days.

There is no dichotomy to being who you are.

amikros

Mar 31, 2007, 9:15 PM
Post #107 of 111 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bolderer] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in a sorority.
I love rainbow flip flops
And if I'm not climbing or at work, I live in my denim skirts in the summer.

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, but it seems ridiculous that in climbing, there's really only one type of female that's acceptable.

Some people would say that sororities are like that, but I've found girls in the sororities at my college to be exponentially more open minded than a fair portion of the climbing community.

For ex., why should people think I'm not sincere about learning to climb just because I wear polos, or am in a sorority or what-have-you?

bolderer

Apr 8, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #108 of 111 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amikros] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok. i live in a town where there are three universities within 25 mile radius and i have never met a sorority type rock wrangler. so congrats, you're my first.

p.s. but what about the pink polo?

(This post was edited by bolderer on Apr 8, 2007, 9:53 PM)

amikros

Apr 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #109 of 111 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bolderer] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only have a white and a blue polo...lost the pink one Wink

I understand that a Greek Letter wearing, rock climbing chick is rare, I just wish the climbing community at large was more open to the idea of such a person...
You would be amazed how many people think I climb to impress some guy...or am simply cracked out. no pun intended. Pirate
bad joke, bad joke. i know.

BeachBunny

Apr 8, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #110 of 111 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amikros] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

G'day Gals Tongue
I dress kind of preppy.

I just dress how I want, but way cute. It depends of my mood, I've no problem wearing pink, I love denim skirts, flip flops & my Polo's.

bolderer

Apr 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #111 of 111 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BeachBunny] Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

but...do you send?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook