Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rocknice2

May 8, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #26 of 63 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I meant inexpensive. Some are of lesser quality than others but they all do the job. Some just do it for a longer period of time.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on May 8, 2007, 1:01 AM)

tanner

May 8, 2007, 1:11 AM
Post #27 of 63 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Attention Noobs

Home Depot has cheap biners!!!

richardvg03

May 8, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #28 of 63 (3276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tanner] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tanner wrote:
Attention Noobs

Home Depot has cheap biners!!!

What are you talking about?? I had to save up money to buy my home depot biners...

noob's be advised do not climb on home depot biners... people say they break... in all seriousness... don't climb on them!!

gumbelina

May 8, 2007, 2:32 AM
Post #29 of 63 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A-freakin-men! If those smileys are gonna just clutter up your garage, hows about you just mail 'em off in my direction? I'll treat 'em real good and make sure that they get the lovin' that such a wonderful, classic piece of pro deserves. Hexes, tricams, and aliens have their detractors, and though I disagree I can understand. If, however, you do not love smileys than you are simply not worthy of my respect!

chossmonkey

May 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #30 of 63 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
We have got to do something about these n00bs!

Maybe we could cull them, or something? before it is too late??

I don't think we need to do anything that drastic yet. There is still a chance the n00b's will cull themselves. Although I did see a couple of Queen n00b's this weekend with a whole nest full of n00b larvae in tow.

Anyway, I'm just trying to educate the n00bs so they will know that if they buy good gear and leave it behind it is not a waste. Where as if they by shitty gear or wreck a good piece of gear trying and failing to remove it, it will end up in the doldrums of the basement gear box or the trash. Becoming a true waste of their money.

I cherish the nice pieces of gear that n00bs have left me. Every time I plug a cam, slot a nut, or clip a draw that was left to me as an offering by a n00b, I think back to how excited I was to find a piece that will actually serve as a nice new functioning addition to my rack. I thank the climbing Gods for pointing me towards a route with booty I would have otherwise skipped because it was too easy. I might even have a moment of delusion where I think I wish I could buy the n00b a beer for leaving me good gear.

I am truly thankful for n00bs who have good gear and don't know how to remove it from the cliff when they are done.

Partner hosh

May 9, 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #31 of 63 (3183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If only we had n00bs gunking up our cracks with gear... All our trad leads are harder than the n00bs are willing to try and there aren't enough n00bs trying to learn trad here. Any n00bs want to bring some gear up to Juneau and leave it in cracks for me to find?

hosh.

zeke_sf

May 9, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #32 of 63 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
Any n00bs want to bring some gear up to Juneau and leave it in cracks for me to find?

hosh.

Sounds like you're looking for some rock climbing version of the Easter Bunny.

medicus

May 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #33 of 63 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anytime I have to bail, I always just cut the wire, so that you don't have to worry about getting it back out of the crack when you see it.

medicus

May 9, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #34 of 63 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
If only we had n00bs gunking up our cracks with gear... All our trad leads are harder than the n00bs are willing to try and there aren't enough n00bs trying to learn trad here. Any n00bs want to bring some gear up to Juneau and leave it in cracks for me to find?

hosh.

If you'll pay my way up there, I'm sure I can "accidentally" leave a nut or two in a crack so you can get it later.

tigerlilly

May 9, 2007, 1:22 PM
Post #35 of 63 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"rocknice2 wrote:
Be glad we don't pay high performance bicycle pricesSmile

Yes. How is it that a handlebar stem, two pieces of modestly machined aluminum and a few bolts, can cost as much or more than a cam, with all that machining, stitching, springs, wires and testing?

It's what the market will bear, I guess.

Kathy

zeke_sf

May 9, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #36 of 63 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
"rocknice2 wrote:

Yes. How is it that a handlebar stem, two pieces of modestly machined aluminum and a few bolts, can cost as much or more than a cam, with all that machining, stitching, springs, wires and testing?

Kathy

Fat, lycra-clad yuppies. They are the reason for expensive bicycle parts. I saw so many in the Marin hills last weekend. Tricked out bikes, dressed like Lance, and struggling uphill in the fat gear because they apparently haven't figured out the shifting mechanism on a ride that costs more than the truck I'm driving. Do these aerodynamically challenged blobs really need the same bike that won the Tour? *Rant Over*

the_climber

May 9, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #37 of 63 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gumbelina] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gumbelina wrote:
A-freakin-men! If those smileys are gonna just clutter up your garage, hows about you just mail 'em off in my direction? I'll treat 'em real good and make sure that they get the lovin' that such a wonderful, classic piece of pro deserves. Hexes, tricams, and aliens have their detractors, and though I disagree I can understand. If, however, you do not love smileys than you are simply not worthy of my respect!

Smileys are da bomb. Tough and affordable... too bad they don't sell them anymore... the OP's just aren't the same.

As for some of the other stuff.... there is a LOT of mank left around.

To the nOOb's: GET A FREAKIN' NUT TOOL AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT!

caughtinside

May 9, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #38 of 63 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:
"rocknice2 wrote:

Kathy

Fat, lycra-clad yuppies. They are the reason for expensive bicycle parts. I saw so many in the Marin hills last weekend. Tricked out bikes, dressed like Lance, and struggling uphill in the fat gear because they apparently haven't figured out the shifting mechanism on a ride that costs more than the truck I'm driving. Do these aerodynamically challenged blobs really need the same bike that won the Tour? *Rant Over*

oh man. I totally have a US postal jersey that my blob like body sports when I go riding. burned. Unsure

zeke_sf

May 9, 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #39 of 63 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:
"rocknice2 wrote:

Kathy

oh man. I totally have a US postal jersey that my blob like body sports when I go riding. burned. Unsure

Well, I didn't want to say anything directly to you, but....Acknowledging the problem is the first step, man. I'm proud Wink

bandycoot

May 9, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #40 of 63 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How dare you diss Smileys! Those things rule! I'll go head to head with you on lead.... I get one set of Smileys, you get one set of whatever nuts you want. We'll see if Smileys are n00b gear or not! Tongue

steeper

May 9, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #41 of 63 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea its "feckin" funny how all these so called professionals seem to have appeared on a rock with the all knowing knowledge of EVERYTHING to do with climbing. Just one day should up and knew everything......Since Ive been climbing Ive met alot of these types....no wonder they're not getting paid! I realized that arrogance is way worse than ignorance, and stupidity loves arrogance feckers....

caughtinside

May 9, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #42 of 63 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steeper] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

steeper wrote:
Yea its "feckin" funny how all these so called professionals seem to have appeared on a rock with the all knowing knowledge of EVERYTHING to do with climbing. Just one day should up and knew everything......Since Ive been climbing Ive met alot of these types....no wonder they're not getting paid! I realized that arrogance is way worse than ignorance, and stupidity loves arrogance feckers....

let's cull this guy.

zeke_sf

May 9, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #43 of 63 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^Don't bother. I think he'll cull himself. Get himself culled he will.

bobruef

May 9, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #44 of 63 (2975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertdude420 wrote:
This is a silly argument. The reason all climbing gear is so expensive is because it all has to pass the same stringent standardized safety tests before it can be put into production. Are you saying that some companies don't test their products?! C'mon man! Any free biner is just as safe as the other, certain brands of harnesses don't fail more than others, etc...

Just don't buy anything home-made and you'll be fine!

good god!

Partner hosh

May 9, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #45 of 63 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's really funny that I posted that there's never any gear to get here in Juneau, then I went climbing last night and lo and behold, there was a #11 BD nut left in a crack for me. Too bad I knew the owner and have too much of a conscience so I'm trying to get the nut back to it's rightful owner. But if it was a cam, then it might be a different story... Wink

hosh.

deane

May 9, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #46 of 63 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobruef] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't that what cheap gear is for? We N00BS can buy cheap gear and not worry about having to lose $80 every time we make a bad placement. N00BS UNITE!!!!

the_climber

May 9, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #47 of 63 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deane] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
cheap gear and not worry about having to lose $80 every time we make a bad placement. N00BS UNITE!!!!

Um, NO! Like I said earlier:

Get a blood ef'n NUT TOOL and learn how to use it!

nefarius

May 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #48 of 63 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
desertdude420 wrote:
This is a silly argument. The reason all climbing gear is so expensive is because it all has to pass the same stringent standardized safety tests

In reality climbing gear is cheap. Many many parts make up a cam. Some parts require multiple operation to manufacture. All of which need to be assembled. Then quality controlled, this step is relatively small part of the hole process.
A $60. cam - retail markup - transport = not much

$200. for Oakley sunglasses is expensive

Aint this the truth... I spent a day helping my friend Tom make some Valley Giants. There is a LOT of work that goes into those things. Quite a few man hours into each cam. The material isn't cheap either. Since we made a couple for me, the least I could do was pitch in some materials for him.

So, when people start whining about the cost of a regular cam, and knowing the cost of materials for things (yes, I realize they buy in huge quantity and get discounted, but still....) I'm gonna laugh! Considering this stuff saves your bacon, it's really pretty reasonable.

I still think soft gear are WAY overpriced, but maybe I'm missing something here too...

richardvg03

May 10, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #49 of 63 (2908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Please buy quality gear. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
In reply to:
Get a blood ef'n NUT TOOL and learn how to use it!

so... how do you use that nut tool??? Unsure

sactownclimber

May 10, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #50 of 63 (2893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
A $60. cam - retail markup - transport = not much

$200. for Oakley sunglasses is expensive
]

True, but you don't need a dozen pairs of Oakley's to go do whatever it is you do while wearing Oakley's.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook