Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New River Rendezvous (May 17-20)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

microbarn

May 22, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #301 of 324 (6249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewd] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

andrewd wrote:
dbrayack wrote:
I think a Fall get-together would be pretty cool (considering it IS the best season to climb)

Yeah man i'm down! It would be cool to have massive thowdown session...... no comps, no prizes, no rednecks, just climbing !!Wink

maybe this time the out of towners would be the ones doing all the work. Everyone I know who was a New local was BUSY at the NRR. They deserve a break.

andrewd

May 22, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #302 of 324 (6224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
andrewd wrote:
dbrayack wrote:
I think a Fall get-together would be pretty cool (considering it IS the best season to climb)

Yeah man i'm down! It would be cool to have massive thowdown session...... no comps, no prizes, no rednecks, just climbing !!Wink

maybe this time the out of towners would be the ones doing all the work. Everyone I know who was a New local was BUSY at the NRR. They deserve a break.

Actually I agree, however i'm guessing the "out of town" support will be limited to say the least. Everyone likes to party but not to many people want to put the effort into making sure it goes off smoothly and/or don't appreciate all the hard work that local folks do *(like The crew at the waterstone, and the rest of you)

That being said; if having a gathering in the fall is a serious idea then us "out of towners" should be thoughfull in planning and coordinating to ease the load from the people that do most of the work.
Maybe a good place to start would be to have an RC.com meetup. BYOB! and camp at rogers or something.

stonefoxgirl

May 22, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #303 of 324 (6218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah yeah! fall get together!!! let's do it! well I have to say that I am glad I get to put actual faces with names. i have to apologize to the guy who climbs 13's (sorry guy) I yelled at the back of his head and scared the crap out of him on Saturday night thinking it was someone else. I believe I was at the Mountain Hardwear tent.......Blush and I never had the chance to get wasted because the beer line was long and the band wouldn't stop playing flippin awesome music! I think I danced for about 4 hours. Thanks Atomic Joe (I think) for playin some Dead!!!! I definately clotheslined myself Saturday night by the slackline (suggestion...for next year, make it higher or take it down when it's dark!!! Dag YO!) And thanks to 5.10 for a flippin brand new pair of climbing shoes from the comp, totally unexpected and awesome! Chaco for a belt, mountain hardware for a shirt, metolius for my fav chalk and the food was awesome and the coffee was pretty close to the best I have ever had!!!!!! I may have devoured my hand waiting in that line for dinner but luckily a kid checked the pockets of his pants while standing there and exclaimed, "that's where that went" - he pulled out a hack and we went to town! We were eating in no time! It was great to meet all of you - and the ones I didn't really get to spend time with I hope we cross paths in the future. What ever happened to Danno during the dyno comp? Sunday, not too bad - Coors kegs would have done me in for sure but I woke up to pancakes that had magically appeared (I did not share them with Jess) and I went back to sleep....packed up an hour later and now I'm counting down to next year. I'm definately heading out on Thursday, volunteering where I can and of course.....CLIMBING!!!

(This post was edited by stonefoxgirl on May 22, 2007, 8:30 PM)

Partner j_ung

May 22, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #304 of 324 (6214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm way up for that and would even be happy to help with some planning. But do we really need to plan much? No money to raise. No comps, events, clinics or auctions. BYO food and beer. All we really need is a date and a place, eh? Roger would love the business, I'm sure. And it would be nice to support him. Plus, he has outhouses already.

acarp

May 22, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #305 of 324 (6193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would lend a hand fo sho!! But I think j_ung is right that probably just a date and place is needed. I'd be down for BYOB. I'd also wouldn't mind getting a couple kegs and have people buy cups. A pot-luck dinner may not be a bad way to go. Or, depending on the amount of people, just order a bunch of pies from somewhere.

I think I'm just looking for an excuse to party with more climbers.

Partner j_ung

May 22, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #306 of 324 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acarp] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Outdoor pot luck! Hell yeah! Smile

andrewd

May 22, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #307 of 324 (6164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The question now becomes: What do we call it? and when do we have it. I would still like to see some way to raise money for NRAC. (Pot luck dinner is a cool idea, what about a used gear swap tooWink)

Hows the weather around the second weekend in October?

stonefoxgirl

May 22, 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #308 of 324 (6157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget anyone involved in the Triple Crown will be doing the first leg to NC on Oct. 6th, I believe. Other than that, let's get planning! Fall Minivous?

andrewd

May 23, 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #309 of 324 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh yeah the triple crown, not sure, but i doubt i will be going to that this year. We may want to check about other local comps, and events that are happening in the fall. ABS series, boater fests, bridge day...etc

Other Ideas for names:

New River Sendfest
New River Ruckus
New River Rockfest (rock jam?.....) I'm reaching here
NRAC Roc Trip (like Petzl Roc Trip)

You know speaking of the Petzl roc trip. Thats a pretty cool idea to have designated routes and have a bunch of really good climbers trying to send them. Could do the same with the bouldering scene if theres enough interest. Just throwing out ideas here, bear with me.

stonefoxgirl

May 23, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #310 of 324 (6135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure thing, no worries. It will come together-either way, I'll be down there all summer and fall. I do plan on doing 2 of the 3 for the Crown and taking a week long trip this winter to climb too.

andrewd

May 23, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #311 of 324 (6123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll probably do the HP40 and the Stone Fort comps but i don't really like the Hound Ears one as much. Who knows what i will end up doing though.

Partner j_ung

May 23, 2007, 1:01 PM
Post #312 of 324 (6083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewd wrote:
The question now becomes: What do we call it? and when do we have it. I would still like to see some way to raise money for NRAC. (Pot luck dinner is a cool idea, what about a used gear swap tooWink)

Hows the weather around the second weekend in October?

I dunno... IMO we shouldn't load this thing up with anything more organized than dates, times and the pot luck par-tay. I'd much rather just have a fun weekend of climbing and partying with a bunch of you guys under the most relaxed conditions possible. Make it a fundraiser and all of a sudden you have to open a dialog with NRAC and Roger. And NRAC, at least, has to put things to votes to make decisions. Let's keep it as light, spontaneous and agile as possible.

Names... "RCNRG?" "RC.com NRG Minivous" a la stonefoxgirl?

dbrayack

May 23, 2007, 1:04 PM
Post #313 of 324 (6080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'all should start a new thread.

microbarn

May 23, 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #314 of 324 (6072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
You'all should start a new thread.

done

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=1601532#1601532

stonefoxgirl

May 23, 2007, 3:11 PM
Post #315 of 324 (6046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

J_ung,
How do we put that on a T-shirt???
Ok, has the thread started or shall I do the honors?
Let's just pick a weekend, a place to stay, possible field or established camp ground??? And agree that we will put our chef hats on and feed each other.

Partner j_ung

May 23, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #316 of 324 (6045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here ya go, stoney.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...2;page=unread#unread

Partner j_ung

May 24, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #317 of 324 (6009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Folks I have an unofficial tally of funds raised at Rendezvous 5. Highly unofficially, NRAC grossed $14,500. Equally unofficially, we netted somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k. So, not only was it one the funnest Rendezvous...es of all time, it was also a pretty damned successful fundraiser. Typically, we donate 10% or so to the Access Fund. !00% of the rest of it will go to NRAC operations and equipment.

From the bottom of NRAC's hearts, my heart and everybody who climbs here's hearts... THANK YOU! The next time you're climbing in the area and you clip a fat ass Petzl Long Life pat yourself on the back.

SmileSmile

andrewd

May 24, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #318 of 324 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Folks I have an unofficial tally of funds raised at Rendezvous 5. Highly unofficially, NRAC grossed $14,500. Equally unofficially, we netted somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k. So, not only was it one the funnest Rendezvous...es of all time, it was also a pretty damned successful fundraiser. Typically, we donate 10% or so to the Access Fund. !00% of the rest of it will go to NRAC operations and equipment.

From the bottom of NRAC's hearts, my heart and everybody who climbs here's hearts... THANK YOU! The next time you're climbing in the area and you clip a fat ass Petzl Long Life pat yourself on the back.

SmileSmile

SHIT YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Thats awesome!

kachoong

May 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #319 of 324 (5994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was indeed a great event. Unfortunately, I was unable to take advantage of all it had to offer due to being so damn sick. In hindsight perhaps we should have stayed home since I ended up being admitted to the hospital shortly after returning. As of now, I’m still as sick as a dog without a diagnosis after 12 days.

Despite our limited participation though, both Newbie and I really enjoyed ourselves and it was a pleasure to meet some of you in person finally- maldaly, dbrayack, granite_grrl, jamieg, acarp, tantrikclimber, camhead…. And also to see those again whom we met last time. It’s a pity we didn’t meet up with more of you, but there’s always next year.

Great pics Dan! It was fun running around taking pics of boulderers and enjoying the sun on Saturday. Thanks for the tips. The boulder pad sumo wrestling comps were awesome and the weather just got more and more perfect as the days wore on.

Thanks to Jay and Wendy who let us flatten their grass with our tent. It was great to see you guys again!

granite_grrl

May 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #320 of 324 (5970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a lost and found? I realized this morning that I didn't ahve my approch shoes any more. I think I left them in my ruch to pack up my tent before the clinics started on Sunday morning. I was camped away from the main party areas near the entrance to Burnwood.

They're pink TNF approch shoes, probobly a size 9 womens.

boo

May 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #321 of 324 (5957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeyeh! That's what I like to hear j_ung! NRAC worked really hard and prepped well for the larger crowd. I hope the new park supt. was won over. He seemed interested, positive and engaged with the climbers.

And thank you for the beta on Cotton Top on Saturday. It was unbelievable to have the cliff to ourselves during such a busy weekend.

acarp

May 25, 2007, 2:30 PM
Post #322 of 324 (5919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simply awesome!!

neoamhas

May 31, 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #323 of 324 (5843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acarp] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The "New" is a sacred place founded by unheralded hard men and women who believed in backwoods adventure and good times with friends. Long appreciated, ego-less, and renowned for it's understated locals, the New has a vibe. The "New" crew who put on the Rendezvous-Maura, Gene, Kenny, Elaina, Heather, Chris, Shawn and all the countless "locals" who stepped up to contribute to this event epitomize that ethos. Self promotion has never been the way of the "New". So in the aftermath of big party hype, let us not forget or lose our prospective. It is not about first ascents, big numbers, or who did what to make it happen. It is about the tribe, the community coming together to celebrate and dance to the beat of a good cause, reveling in a sacred place where ego takes a back seat to camaraderie and compassion. forgive me my rant, but their are those I hope heed this and reel it in. thank you all that came and gave.

maldaly

May 31, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #324 of 324 (5830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neoamhas] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are some of my favorite photos from the weekend. Not all were taken at the Rendezvous: too much good stuff happening before and after, too. Sorry no climbing photos. I suck at shooting climbers. I like shooting people, though.

Doug and Nate Gold

Our man, Daniel

Even cowgirls get the blues...

Real women like to eat.

Love the secret smile Elaina...

oDub stickin' it to Dean Potter

Vinny directing the beer line

Trouble 1 and Trouble 2

This guy was payched. He'd just signed up for the Alpine Club

My ever-respectful son, Mason

The ever respectful Lydia.

Kurt Going off

Kenny: $14,000 and counting

j_ung being respectful in the back

Jessa spewing beta

Gene and Maura-the world's best hosts.

granite_girl at the Trango booth

Blaze and Kenny going off

Beaver showing us how it's done.

Amy Pickering

You can see all my Rendezvous photos at http://ranchexitphoto.zenfolio.com/

Enjoy,
Mal

(This post was edited by maldaly on May 31, 2007, 9:30 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook