Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #51 of 87 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnathon78] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnathon78 wrote:
j-ung....you were seriously rumored to have sold off first ascents?! Who came up with that rumor?

The rumor is that I sell FAs for profit. Like all rumors, it has it's basis in fact. Last summer, I had a hand in some route development at an area in the New called Cottontop. Around that same time, the silent auction to benefit Laurel Knob occurred at a gym, in Charlotte, NC, I have ties to. (I lived and climbed for several years in NC, and it's still near and dear.) Anywho, at the time, I was eyeballing a potential sport route on the cliff, when it occurred to me to go ahead and bolt it, but give up the FA for the silent auction. So actually, the truth is I did "sell" a first ascent, if by "sell," you mean raised money for the Carolina Climbers Coalition's purchase of, ironically, the tallest predominantly trad cliff in the eastern US.

Even more ironically, a week after said first ascent, it came to light that the line of bolts squeezed a pre-existing trad line up a dirty chimney that I didn't know had been climbed previously. Another week later, I and the guy who FA-ed the chimney met up, went climbing, talked the situation over like adults and I removed every bolt myself and patched the holes. We decided mutually to leave the anchor and now both routes go on gear, although the chimney is still really dirty and the other route next to it is very much R rated.

But hey, "Jay Young sells first ascents," is so much easier to pass along.

caughtinside

Jul 19, 2007, 7:24 PM
Post #52 of 87 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnathon78 wrote:
j-ung....you were seriously rumored to have sold off first ascents?! Who came up with that rumor?

The rumor is that I sell FAs for profit. Like all rumors, it has it's basis in fact. Last summer, I had a hand in some route development at an area in the New called Cottontop. Around that same time, the silent auction to benefit Laurel Knob occurred at a gym, in Charlotte, NC, I have ties to. (I lived and climbed for several years in NC, and it's still near and dear.) Anywho, at the time, I was eyeballing a potential sport route on the cliff, when it occurred to me to go ahead and bolt it, but give up the FA for the silent auction. So actually, the truth is I did "sell" a first ascent, if by "sell," you mean raised money for the Carolina Climbers Coalition's purchase of, ironically, the tallest predominantly trad cliff in the eastern US.

Even more ironically, a week after said first ascent, it came to light that the line of bolts squeezed a pre-existing trad line up a dirty chimney that I didn't know had been climbed previously. Another week later, I and the guy who FA-ed the chimney met up, went climbing, talked the situation over like adults and I removed every bolt myself and patched the holes. We decided mutually to leave the anchor and now both routes go on gear, although the chimney is still really dirty and the other route next to it is very much R rated.

I think it's time to amend it a little to make it more accurate: "Yeah, Jay will sell you an FA, and then he'll come along and chop your FA a week later because of your lack of ethics!"

forkliftdaddy

Jul 19, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #53 of 87 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, J, in addition to selling sport route FAs, you're a bolt chopper?! How can one guy do so much wrong?

Where's that chimney?

bler

Jul 19, 2007, 7:37 PM
Post #54 of 87 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

still, since when did the goverment regulate bolting of climbing..

first off, climb at your own risk.. your OWN RISK..

its like this ; if you get on a trad route, and the guide says there is a bomber placement after a runout section, and it is less then bomber, is the guidebook writers fault, or the rock's fault?

who's fault is it if a 'fixed' peice fails ?

yes, what they did was reckless, incompetent and stupid. but if you clipped into a 'glued' on hanger, you have some issues.. plus you should read a guide beforehand and look where bolt placements are or climb with someone who knows the climb.

i'm sure the people who did this had no intention of injuring anyone. they wanted to play a joke and it backfired...

bler

Jul 19, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #55 of 87 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Another week later, I and the guy who FA-ed the chimney met up, went climbing, talked the situation over like adults and I removed every bolt myself and patched the holes.

you bolt, then remove the bolts because you realized it was not needed in the first place? what a f'ing waste of time, money and damaging the rock.

you get no respect....

(This post was edited by bler on Jul 19, 2007, 7:43 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #56 of 87 (3824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bler] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bler wrote:
i'm sure the people who did this had no intention of injuring anyone. they wanted to play a joke and it backfired...

Oh, I agree completely. I've said as much from the get go. It's in my OP.

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #57 of 87 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bler wrote:
j_ung wrote:
Another week later, I and the guy who FA-ed the chimney met up, went climbing, talked the situation over like adults and I removed every bolt myself and patched the holes.

you bolt, then remove the bolts because you realized it was not needed in the first place? what a f'ing waste of time, money and damaging the rock.

you get no respect....

I fucked up and then fixed my mistake. End of story.

bler

Jul 19, 2007, 7:51 PM
Post #58 of 87 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you didn't realize there was a protectable line just next to it?

yah, you made a mistake, but this sounds recent, & you seem to be an experienced climber that should not make those type of mistakes?

maybe not though..

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #59 of 87 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bler, you appear to be under the impression that I'm defending it. Again, I fucked up. To remain consistent with local ethics, I fixed my mistake.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jul 19, 2007, 8:04 PM)

CinnamonJohnson

Jul 19, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #60 of 87 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you removed the bolts, did you remove them from the ground-up, or did you take them out on rappel?

j_ung wrote:
johnathon78 wrote:

In reply to:

notch

Jul 19, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #61 of 87 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CinnamonJohnson wrote:
How could a climbers personal safety be less important than the way people approach an ethical debate?

I think arguments about climbing ethics are completely frivolous compared to the value of one persons life. That is why I generally take the sport/safer/more bolts placed on rappel side of most ethical arguments.

I go out and climb on the cliffs to amuse myself and engage in a fun, fulfilling activity. I will never understand the "trad ego", boldness, ground-up, elitist mentality. I think it is born out of insecurity.
That's why I only climb that route with the yellow tape. It's way safer than than the hard route with the green tape.

bler

Jul 19, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #62 of 87 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, in the eyes of hardcore trad ethics, I would have to say it can never be 'fixed'...

only patched.

in my own ethics, leaving the bolts there is better then chopping them.

its like a lot of things in life.. sometimes its better to just let your mistakes be mistakes and not try to fix them.

noell

Jul 19, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #63 of 87 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bler wrote:
you didn't realize there was a protectable line just next to it?

yah, you made a mistake, but this sounds recent, & you seem to be an experienced climber that should not make those type of mistakes?

maybe not though..

Bler's profile says "First started climbing on 4/20/04", so in comparison, yeah, I'd say Jay is a very, very experienced climber, and did what was best in this situation. Why so testy bler? J_ung is very respected in this neck of the woods. Nice work J_ung, you owned up to it, and took care of sh*t.

On the topic of fake bolts, man oh man, whoda thunk it that good ole Fayetteville could be such a breading place for such a trick and the rumors and he-said-she-said that's come about! Good grief dudes and dudetts!

Partner j_ung

Jul 19, 2007, 8:40 PM
Post #64 of 87 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bler wrote:
well, in the eyes of hardcore trad ethics, I would have to say it can never be 'fixed'...

only patched.

its like a lot of things in life.. sometimes its better to just let your mistakes be mistakes and not try to fix them.

Sure, sometimes it's better to avoid making an even bigger mess of things. In this case, I felt -- and still feel -- that correcting the error (as best as possible) was the best thing for everybody involved. Leaving the bolts would have been the bigger mess of things.

caughtinside

Jul 19, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #65 of 87 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
bler wrote:

only patched.

Sure, sometimes it's better to avoid making an even bigger mess of things. In this case, I felt -- and still feel -- that correcting the error (as best as possible) was the best thing for everybody involved. Leaving the bolts would have been the bigger mess of things.

Did you at least give the hangers back to the guy who's FA you chopped? Sly

neoamhas

Jul 19, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #66 of 87 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this sh*t has NO BUISNESS being on the internet. I am soo tired of Fayettevegas locals wanting to spray on the web. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! This is our buisness, not fodder for your f*ing rc.com ego-inflation. the boys that perpetrated this "crime" are salt of the earth. you don't know the story, you would'nt understand the motives, so keep your comments to yourself. i consider these guys friends, people who slander my friends get hurt. i look forward to meeting some of you and visiting those of you i know. " i'm essentially a pacificist, but ever once in a while people need a quick shot to the mouth" ed.

(This post was edited by neoamhas on Jul 19, 2007, 9:35 PM)

caughtinside

Jul 19, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #67 of 87 (3703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neoamhas] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

neoamhas wrote:
this sh*t has NO BUISNESS being on the internet. I am soo tired of Fayettevegas locals wanting to spray on the web. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! This is our buisness, not fodder for your f*ing rc.com ego-inflation. the boys that perpetrated this "crime" are salt of the earth. you don't know the story, you would'nt understand the motives, so keep your comments to yourself. i consider these guys friends, people who slander my friends get hurt. i look forward to meeting some of you and visiting those of you i know. " i'm essentially a pacificist, but ever once in a while people need a quick shot to the mouth" ed.
sweet.

curator

Jul 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #68 of 87 (3677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw shit, somebody had to go and piss off neoamhas. I don't know about you guys but I'll be staying inside for a while.

markc

Jul 20, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #69 of 87 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bler wrote:
still, since when did the goverment regulate bolting of climbing..

first off, climb at your own risk.. your OWN RISK..

its like this ; if you get on a trad route, and the guide says there is a bomber placement after a runout section, and it is less then bomber, is the guidebook writers fault, or the rock's fault?

who's fault is it if a 'fixed' peice fails ?

yes, what they did was reckless, incompetent and stupid. but if you clipped into a 'glued' on hanger, you have some issues.. plus you should read a guide beforehand and look where bolt placements are or climb with someone who knows the climb.

How did we get from your original question to here? If you want to talk about government regulation in bolting, reread the first post. Bolt replacement without special permission is currently banned at the New River Gorge. Bolting with a power drill is banned in a lot of wilderness areas, and at some crags you need to submit a proposal to install bolts. It may not be how a lot of folks would like it, but the government and land managers can and do regulate bolting

As far as your next point, there is a huge difference between accepting the risks inherent in climbing and possibly clipping fake bolts glued to the rock. I've already said I don't know if it was likely that someone could accidentally climb the glued line. If someone attempted it, they would have no way of knowing the danger they were in. I'd wager I could put together a fake hanger and bolt assembly and you wouldn't give it a second look.

I don't know about you, but I've been to areas where even online guides don't keep up with FAs. You see a new line of bolts, you give a guess at the grade, and decide to step up or not. I know people that like to use a guide to find the crag, but then close the book and pick routes by eyeing them up.

climbsomething

Jul 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #70 of 87 (3629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crimes committed on federal land (such as NPS lands) are... federal crimes.

bler wrote:

you get no respect....
Neither do you.

bler

Jul 20, 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #71 of 87 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Crimes committed on federal land (such as NPS lands) are... federal crimes.

bler wrote:

you get no respect....
Neither do you.

good...

whats your point, I don't expect respect from a stupid ass whining rock climbing board.

(This post was edited by bler on Jul 20, 2007, 12:18 AM)

bler

Jul 20, 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #72 of 87 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yah, what federal crime was commited ?

if the law states no bolting, they did not bolt.. they drilled no bolts, it was a joke..

what is the legal difference if I glued a gi-joe to a rock in the parking lot?

bler

Jul 20, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #73 of 87 (3616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey I agree, I am just plaing the devils advocate here.. as I usually do ;)

I do not know the ethics of the area, I just know my own personal ethics and the areas I climb in..

nothing hurtful intended, my apology if I insulted you.

j_ung wrote:
bler wrote:

only patched.

roninthorne

Jul 20, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #74 of 87 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm... maybe less caffeine and much, much more fibre?

Sorry, but keeping the skeletons in the closet doesn't work anymore, see? Funny you should call these folks "salt of the earth", because they came very close to having the same effect on NRG climbing that salt has when poured directly onto the earth... the prevention of growth and eradication of new life.

Thanks for the story and the follow-up, Jay.

I know of at least one person who has been sorely tempted to use a variant of this method, not as a joke, but to break certain Germany Valley climbing guides from trying to snake projects they learned about third-hand and snuck in to attempt FAing behind the backs of those who worked long and hard to create them.

But that's another dead horse that's been beaten far too many times with the same stick... don't want to start another dog-at-the-crag thread equivalent... Bad call on the part of the "salts", good call on the part of the NPS (informing us and keeping us in the loop), and deep sigh of relief as someone who lives just far enough away not to get to the New nearly as often as I'd like...

fracture

Jul 20, 2007, 2:14 AM
Post #75 of 87 (3767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LaddRaine] Fake Bolts at NRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LaddRaine wrote:
A guide from New River Mountain Guides noticed the bolts and raised the awareness of them to the Authroities, A very responsible thing to do.

If this is true, I'm absolutely amazed you'd call it a responsible thing to do. This crag nearly got shut down for two reasons: (i) people glued fake bolts onto the wall, and (ii) the park somehow learned about it.

Although I don't know what it is like at NRG, in my experience land managers can be very safety-paranoid. I don't think the reaction they were planning (closing the crag) is all that surprising, and the result of this could have been a lot worse than it was. And while it sounds to me ("sitting in Texas") like whoever did this really fucked up, I also am impressed that at least they turned themselves in. It sounds like if it weren't for that, NRG access would be totally fucked right now.

neoamhas: You may not want "this shit" on the internet, but the cat's out of the bag. Why don't you post more information about the situation instead of making violent threats while claiming to be a pacifist? I fully agree with j_ung's comments about constructive dialog (regarding your community's disagreements, but also regarding this thread), and fisticuffs (or threatening it) doesn't count!

(This post was edited by fracture on Jul 20, 2007, 2:38 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook