Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jimbop

Nov 18, 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #1 of 73 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Communication in Mountain Sports
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I am conducting research at the Warwick Centre for the Study of Sport in Society, looking at aspects of communication in mountain sports. I have created a quick questionnaire, just 17 multiple choice questions, which I would be very grateful to you all for filling in. Warwick has strong connections with industry and this research is likely to be used as a basis for new sports specific communication aids.
The questionnaire comes in 2 parts (due to formatting restrictions). Please follow the links to each part (surveymonkey.com is a web based questionnaire service).

Part 1)
http://www.surveymonkey.com/...9rs1mPg6Myfhrg_3d_3d

Part 2)
http://www.surveymonkey.com/...onfiuQKBh9uCqA_3d_3d

I thank you in advance for your valuable contribution to this research. Please email any queries to j.e.m.bennett@warwick.ac.uk.

Kind regards

James

(University of Warwick)

andypro

Nov 19, 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #2 of 73 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimbop] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That was pleasantly short and to the point. No extraneous demographic questions that just annoy you and make you not want to complete it.

Is there a way we can see the compiled results? I'm curious as to what your findings will be.

--Andy P

jimbop

Nov 19, 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #3 of 73 (3595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks andypro. The questionnaire will be running for a few months to acquire as much data as possible. I will post a full analysis of the results when it's complete but will try to give an update a bit sooner - need lots more people to complete it first though!

Thanks very much for your input :)

themadmilkman

Nov 19, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #4 of 73 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to nitpick, but you really should ask the demographic questions last, not first. I don't remember the source, but I do remember reading fairly convincing studies showing that asking demographic questions first can skew the results of a survey.

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #5 of 73 (3520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lately I've been seeing climbers use cell phones to communicate "off belay" - now that's progress.

andypro

Nov 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #6 of 73 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Lately I've been seeing climbers use cell phones to communicate "off belay" - now that's progress.

That's disturbing, actually. Almost disgusting Crazy

--Andy P

mcfoley

Nov 19, 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #7 of 73 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just completed the survey.

rmsusa

Nov 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #8 of 73 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:
healyje wrote:

That's disturbing, actually. Almost disgusting Crazy

--Andy P

I find it novel and interesting. Maybe I'll text my partner next time the belay is out of sight (VBG). IMHO people should learn rope signals, but whatever works. Disturbing???

Partner oldsalt

Nov 19, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #9 of 73 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Disturbing?

I agree that it is disturbing. Many of the places I climb have no cell service at the base. We don't depend on cells or radios, largely because voice and rope signals don't require the combination of manual and visual interaction required to operate a handset.

shockabuku

Nov 20, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #10 of 73 (3439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, put some monetary equivalents in the second part, I don't off-hand know the conversion from pounds to dollars.

And now I do. More useless trivia taking up storage space in my head.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Nov 20, 2007, 12:48 AM)

pwscottiv

Nov 20, 2007, 8:36 AM
Post #11 of 73 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On long routes where I might not have a direct view of my partner or if it's windy we carry 5-watt Motorola business-band radios. However, most of the time it's not required, so we don't bring them.

norushnomore

Nov 20, 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #12 of 73 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there nothing more useful to research?
Best communication is to shut up and climb

pwscottiv

Nov 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #13 of 73 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norushnomore] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

norushnomore wrote:
I agree... YOU should shut up.

jimbop

Nov 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #14 of 73 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far. I have added an approximate conversion of £s to $s in the question but can do no more because of formatting limitations.

With regard to the mobile phones, I know that if I was the climber, I would want to be told something BEFORE my belayer took their hands off the belay! However, you should already have called "safe" before they call back "off belay"! I know that on a busy crag, "safe" calls can be coming from anywhere and it can be difficult to tell if it's from the person you are belaying or not. Although I have not witnessed a sever accident, the questionnaire so far shows that a significant proportion of accidents have been severe.

As said in the post, this research will form a basis for developing new communication aids - although this has issues with mountaineering ethics, as some have mentioned, it could also save lives!!

healyje

Nov 20, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #15 of 73 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jimbop wrote:
As said in the post, this research will form a basis for developing new communication aids - although this has issues with mountaineering ethics, as some have mentioned, it could also save lives!!

This would fall under the category of 'learn how to climb'. No further 'communication aids' are necessary. If folks need additional 'communication aids' they either they shouldn't be climbing whatever caused them to need such devices until they have the requisite skills to do so competently without them or shouldn't be climbing period.

This is another symptom of the desire to drive risk out of climbing and make it 'safe'. That turns climbing from 'climbing' to just another risk-free entertainment form. The odds are good such long-term trends will simply result in the dumbing-down of climbers from the perspective of their technical knowledge, capabilities on-route, and ability to 'natively' compensate for adversity.

In a word - people get hurt and die climbing - they will still get hurt and die climbing even with 'communication aids'. Their use will just as likely only shift the causal category of accidents as opposed to eliminating them.

norushnomore

Nov 21, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #16 of 73 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pwscottiv] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pwscottiv wrote:
norushnomore wrote:

Wow, what do we have here? Looks like you got offended by me making fun of your 30lb rack and your struggling partner that was sherping your crap for you.

Whatever dude, if you don't like my opinion then just move on or don't ask for one (I did not ask for backpack help nor did I solicit a communications feedback).

pwscottiv

Nov 21, 2007, 4:52 AM
Post #17 of 73 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

norushnomore wrote:
pwscottiv wrote:
norushnomore wrote:

Wow, what do we have here? Looks like you got offended by me making fun of your 30lb rack and your struggling partner that was sherping your crap for you.

Whatever dude, if you don't like my opinion then just move on or don't ask for one (I did not ask for backpack help nor did I solicit a communications feedback).
I just noticed that your replies were both completely useless and inflammatory. If you're not going to answer the question that the person's asking then why respond at all? Many other people have left responses that were very helpful. If you don't know about the topic in question then you probably shouldn't be responding at all. Get a life.

JohnCook

Nov 21, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #18 of 73 (3268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There used to be ropes available with comm wires built in. They were supposed to be the next big thing in Alpine climbing. This was in the eighties. I will try to remember who made them if it will help. I expect they failed commercially, as the wires broke when they were fall tested.

moose_droppings

Nov 21, 2007, 5:55 AM
Post #19 of 73 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A study to figure out the best way to communicate? Thats what we've been reduced to?

Why not just WIFI all of amerika and take our puters up the route.

pwscottiv

Nov 21, 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #20 of 73 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:

A study to figure out the best way to communicate? Thats what we've been reduced to?

Why not just WIFI all of amerika and take our puters up the route.
I've seen first-hand what can happen when climbing partners can't communicate because rope-drag makes pull-signals impossible and wind/distance make verbal communication inaudible. Things can get dangerous really fast. How many times have you heard guys yelling back and forth "WHAT?" "WHAT?" "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". I personally have been there many times myself and seen it with other climbers too many times as well. I once saw a guy who was nearly dropped to his death on a long mulit-pitch route due solely to the fact that his belayer misunderstood him because it was very windy. Using radios on routes where you know regular communication is going to be strained or impossible is an EXCELLENT option. If you're disagreeing with that, then you've personally never needed it or have never tried it.

(This post was edited by pwscottiv on Nov 21, 2007, 6:24 AM)

flint

Nov 21, 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #21 of 73 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What ever happened to rope communications, two pulls means building anchor... three means come on up to get a beer... kind of things? I guess climbing with a well known partner cuts a great deal of that out as well.

Anyway, hope your study goes well, and for design, try to keep it practicul, no cell phone service should be needed.

j-

healyje

Nov 21, 2007, 6:28 AM
Post #22 of 73 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pwscottiv wrote:
Using radios on routes where you know regular communication is going to be strained or impossible is an EXCELLENT option. If you're disagreeing with that, then you've personally never needed it or have never tried it.

You're right, in 33 years of climbing I've never needed electronics of any kind to climb. Do a long wandering pitch with sport draws on a high wind day and I bet you would like to have radios. Don't do it - sling appropriately or climb with half ropes. If drag is so bad you can't communicate through the ropes its too bad to climb with it as well. Avoiding such situations and circumstances is simply part of the craft.

pwscottiv

Nov 21, 2007, 6:45 AM
Post #23 of 73 (3240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Communication in Mountain Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
pwscottiv wrote:
Using radios on routes where you know regular communication is going to be strained or impossible is an EXCELLENT option. If you're disagreeing with that, then you've personally never needed it or have never tried it.

You're right, in 33 years of climbing I've never needed electronics of any kind to climb. Do a long wandering pitch with sport draws on a high wind day and I bet you would like to have radios. Don't do it - sling appropriately or climb with half ropes. If drag is so bad you can't communicate through the ropes its too bad to climb with it as well. Avoiding such situations and circumstances is simply part of the craft.
Where do you usually climb? I'm not one to let the wind keep me from sending the climb that I've been planning on. In fact, I even did a climb ("The Line" at Lover's Leap in CA) in the middle of a thunderstorm... Mostly just to see if it was possible. Some might call that nuts, but whatever. Some think soloing is nuts too (not that I solo). If you tried radios on particular routes, I think you might appreciate them (only when they're required of course). I've only used them for like 5% of the climbs I've done. It's really nice to know what's going on if someone gets hurt. On one climb where I was second, my partner fell and sprained his ankle really badly and couldn't go on. Unfortunately the route had gone around an arete so I couldn't see or hear him. The wind was probably like 15-20knots and I doubt I would have been able to know what exactly was going on without the radios. We wouldn't have "died" or anything, but it was REALLY nice for both of us to be able to easily coordinate our escape. For instance, I could tell him that it was impossible to lower him as-is, because I could see that he was about 40ft beyond the mid-point. He could tell me that he was going to aid-climb down to the mid-point and I told him when he was there. We talked about it when we were on the ground and we agreed that we were able to keep things safer with the radios.

(This post was edited by pwscottiv on Nov 21, 2007, 6:47 AM)

norushnomore

Nov 21, 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #24 of 73 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pwscottiv wrote:
...If you don't know about the topic in question then you probably shouldn't be responding at all. Get a life.

...I've been climbing for about 22 years now, originally learning how to climb through the Yosemite Climbing School when I was 10 and eventually even climbing as a guide for a while. I think I know my shit by now...

...I'm also an engineer, so that helps...

Looks like Majid got a competition for himself, new expert is in town.

So, what else do you carry with you on your climbs?
Please share for the benefit of all the noobs here.

So far you have mentioned:
1. Communication devices (a must have)
2. Approach shoes and rap cord (I guess you never know if you are going to top out or will have to bail Shocked )
3. Camelback (at least two: one for you and one for her)
4. Route book (Xerox is for losers)
5. Her stuff (I am afraid to ask)
6. 30 pounds of gear (three "sets" of chocks organized by size, …)
7. Flashlight, shell
8. 8-plate (to backup my ATC and to rap)

pwscottiv

Nov 21, 2007, 1:27 PM
Post #25 of 73 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I said "Get a life" I didn't mean for you to make me the center of it. So I'll be a bit more specific... Get your OWN life. I'm sure everyone on here already knows you're the resident climbing guru... Sorry if I stepped on your toes. I know you already know everything and your way is the best, er, ONLY way.Crazy

Maybe we should stop hijacking this guy's thread... I bet there's plenty more useful nuggets of information you can clog my thread up with. It's all yours climbing guru dude!Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook