Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any news on Wild Iowa????
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

majicman17

Nov 4, 2002, 3:44 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1540 views)
Shortcut

Any news on Wild Iowa????  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: St__George_Area_Crags: Black_Rocks: Sunny_Side)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was in Iowa City this weekend, and made a trip to both Scheels, and Fin and Feather. Both stores said that the book has stopped being published due to rights. Anyone know any more about this? Neither store was aware of any other guide books, and didn't know if Wild Iowa was being republished. Does anyone have the book? I would pay for a copy of it, even if it is a photocopy of every page. Any more info that anyone may have would be great! Thanks for the beta.

majicman17

Nov 11, 2002, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1540 views)
Shortcut

Any news on Wild Iowa???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there another guide book out there? What is the best beta on all the routes? Where can I find the best info on the climbs in Iowa?

moss1956

Mar 11, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1540 views)
Shortcut

palisades kepler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The information that is posted in the route guides here only misses some trad climbs. Its probably the best existing guide.

It doesnt say:

One of the anchors at the top of Young and bold is a spinner.
The third bolt on Bird in Hand is loose.
The left anchor on Virgin Lemonade is loose.
Once of the old shuts on Tazmanian Devil is loose.
The left anchor on Tarzan is funky, like it's a bolt and it should be a rap hanger.

Skeletor, Hope for a Boner, and the 5.9 around the corner from Tarzan are bolted in such a way that it is possible to deck, so don't try those until you are comfortable at the grade. The first bolt on the 5.10 around the corner from Tarzan is 20 feet up- the old first bolt fell off. There is one moment heading up to it, that you are leaning back. If you are the type that panics, don't do this one either.

The other thing wrong is there is no map, but if you show up on a Saturday in warm weather there are plenty of people there and they can point things out.

rokklym

Mar 12, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1540 views)
Shortcut

Re: palisades kepler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your not missing anything by not having the guidebook. It is by far the worst guidebook i've seen. I do have a copy of it though and if you need some specific info I can get it for ya.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook