Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

climbingaggie03

Sep 2, 2008, 6:37 PM
Post #26 of 85 (11778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
I really don't understand this point of view, to be honest.

It seems to me that you reduce the peak force seen in a fall// chances of catastrophic failure by building a solid anchor with the consequence meaning running it out a little more. Right?

Especially given that he ran it out right off the anchor anyway.

How would it be better to build a crappier anchor but have 1 extra piece of gear for the pitch?

The thinking that it would be better to have a crappy anchor but not have to run it out seems to me to be an indication of a SCARED train of thought NOT a rational one,eh?

sorry, I agree with you, I meant to type can't but instead typed can. I build my anchors to be solid 100% of the time, and i'll keep adding pieces until I feel like it is good enough, which is usually 3 pieces, but sometimes more. I can't recall a single anchor that I've built that had less than 3 pieces unless there was a bomber bolt, tree, or boulder involved.

altelis

Sep 2, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #27 of 85 (11766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fair enough.

though i will say i've consistently (not necessarily often, though) used 2 piece gear anchors. usually this is while alpine climbing. if i can incorporate a good "stance" or have the rope running over a ridge, etc., i'll count that as "part" of the anchor.

two SOLID big nuts in separate cracks, plus the climbing crosses onto the otherside of a ridge, good to go.

this is rare though, like i said, and VERY situation specific.

billl7

Sep 2, 2008, 6:45 PM
Post #28 of 85 (11765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I agree that a 2 piece gear anchor is never a good idea. My question is why did 3 placements fail?
Of course, it's easy enough for 3 pieces to fail if they were sketchy placements. Even easier if the nut in the anchor was good but placed for upward pull only. Perhaps Claire will shed some light once her mind has time to clear.

Best wishes for Trevor and Claire.

Bill L

mturner

Sep 2, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #29 of 85 (11757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hindsight is 20/20.

Let's just wish them well.

trenchdigger

Sep 2, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #30 of 85 (11753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
A good climber should build his anchor not based on number of pieces on the wall but based on what the maximum forces may apply to their anchor in SOL situation such as both leader and belayer falling from the anchor.

Exactly. The number of pieces is irrelevant. The anchor should be built in such a way that it will not fail given the worst possible scenario.

Best wishes to those involved in the accident. It suonds like they got lucky.

jungle_george

Sep 2, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #31 of 85 (11761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I understand this story right, because the climber went to the deck and not the end of the rope, a bomber anchor wouldn't have changed anything. The belayer was knocked out and climber was effectively off belay.

The only way the story can make sense in my head is if the 2 anchor pieces failed when the climber hit the belayer, and not when the rope came taut against the anchor. She was knocked out and there was no way for the rope to come taut against the anchor redirect or no.

Unless of course he went to the end of the rope, but it doesn't sound like he did.

Am I missing something?

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 2, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #32 of 85 (11724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jungle_george] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jungle_george wrote:
If I understand this story right, because the climber went to the deck and not the end of the rope, a bomber anchor wouldn't have changed anything. The belayer was knocked out and climber was effectively off belay.

The only way the story can make sense in my head is if the 2 anchor pieces failed when the climber hit the belayer, and not when the rope came taut against the anchor. She was knocked out and there was no way for the rope to come taut against the anchor redirect or no.

Unless of course he went to the end of the rope, but it doesn't sound like he did.

Am I missing something?

Good point. One possibility is that the first piece and the anchor failed simultaneously..

rob.calm

majid_sabet

Sep 2, 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #33 of 85 (11723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jungle_george wrote:

Am I missing something?

you are missing a lot but then that is another thread by itself

climbingaggie03

Sep 2, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #34 of 85 (11721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Trevor placed a #1 BD cam and proceeded to climb above it. He complained of some difficulties with the climbing and suddenly pitched off backwards. He came tight to the #1 which he was roughly 5 feet above. The cam pulled and he continued falling backward, now head-first, toward the belay. Claire locked off the rope through her ATC and braced inward against the wall to arrest the fall. Trevor hit Claire causing her to slam into the wall leading to fractures of her cheek bone, arm and wrist. Claire also was knocked unconscious at this point. Trevor continued his fall and as the rope came tight through the anchor, the two pieces failed. Luckily for Claire, she had collapsed onto the ledge when she passed out. Her unconscious state also led to a relaxed grip on the rope. Thus, as Trevor continued falling, Claire remained on the ledge despite the anchor blowing. Had she not been knocked out, she would have certainly kept a tight hold on the brake and undoubtedly would have been pulled off the ledge into a fall with Trevor. Sadly, under these circumstances, there was virtually nothing that would have kept Trevor from decking but Claire somehow escaped the same fate.

Sounds like the rope was clipped through the master point and when he hit the end of the rope (after his piece failed) that the two piece anchor failed. Hard to say for sure, but if the anchor hadn't failed, I don't think he would have decked.

majid_sabet

Sep 2, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #35 of 85 (11707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:
Trevor placed a #1 BD cam and proceeded to climb above it. He complained of some difficulties with the climbing and suddenly pitched off backwards. He came tight to the #1 which he was roughly 5 feet above. The cam pulled and he continued falling backward, now head-first, toward the belay. Claire locked off the rope through her ATC and braced inward against the wall to arrest the fall. Trevor hit Claire causing her to slam into the wall leading to fractures of her cheek bone, arm and wrist. Claire also was knocked unconscious at this point. Trevor continued his fall and as the rope came tight through the anchor, the two pieces failed. Luckily for Claire, she had collapsed onto the ledge when she passed out. Her unconscious state also led to a relaxed grip on the rope. Thus, as Trevor continued falling, Claire remained on the ledge despite the anchor blowing. Had she not been knocked out, she would have certainly kept a tight hold on the brake and undoubtedly would have been pulled off the ledge into a fall with Trevor. Sadly, under these circumstances, there was virtually nothing that would have kept Trevor from decking but Claire somehow escaped the same fate.

Sounds like the rope was clipped through the master point and when he hit the end of the rope (after his piece failed) that the two piece anchor failed. Hard to say for sure, but if the anchor hadn't failed, I don't think he would have decked.

May be or some knot ended up in the middle of the rope which stopped him from falling .In Either case, we do not know for sure what stopped the rope.

12 years ago similar accident happened where the leader fell and belyer burnet his hand and let go of his belay causing leader to fall additional 50 feet but then some knot ended in their rope and got jammed in the belay which arrested his fall.

billl7

Sep 2, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #36 of 85 (11691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:

Just wanted to point out that it seems unlikely anyone knows right now when the anchor pieces came out. Claire went unconcious about the time Trevor landed on her. Trevor's view isn't available at this point.

Since Claire remained on the belay ledge, it seems most likely that the anchor pieces were knocked out when Trevor hit the belay.

jungle_george

Sep 2, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #37 of 85 (11612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"you are missing a lot but then that is another thread by itself"

A little pissy I pointed out something you hadn't thought of??? Hmm???

Don't you have someone to rescue???

Partner srwings

Sep 2, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #38 of 85 (11549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope their recovery is speedy and complete.
I'm reminded of the 2003 fatalities there. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...uitz%20fatal;#509938

majid_sabet

Sep 2, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #39 of 85 (11548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jungle_george wrote:

You see, you guys always focus on the event by itself and not the true causes on WHY these climbers took fewer gear with them. let's talk about “climb light and fast mentality”

MS

trenchdigger

Sep 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #40 of 85 (11537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jungle_george wrote:

You see, you guys always focus on the event by itself and not the true causes on WHY these climbers took fewer gear with them. let's talk about “climb light and fast mentality”

MS

The climbing at Suicide hardly dictates a "fast and light" style. What's your point?

Does it really matter why they didn't have enough gear with them to adequately protect the route?

majid_sabet

Sep 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #41 of 85 (11509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
jungle_george wrote:

MS

The climbing at Suicide hardly dictates a "fast and light" style. What's your point?

Does it really matter why they didn't have enough gear with them to adequately protect the route?

Of course it matters. If you do not enough gear to securely lead a pitch then you should stay down below and try some bouldering and not to jeopardize your own and the belayer's life with some half ass protection.

trenchdigger

Sep 2, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #42 of 85 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
jungle_george wrote:

MS

Of course it matters. If you do not enough gear to securely lead a pitch then you should stay down below and try some bouldering and not to jeopardize your own and the belayer's life with some half ass protection.

You're only reinforcing my point.

Asking why they didn't have enough/proper gear with them in the first place (ie. they mis-judged the route, overconfidence, guidebook error, etc) does not explain why they continued to climb when it became apparent that their gear was not adequate.

fitzontherocks

Sep 2, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #43 of 85 (11468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the anchor was only oriented for an upward force, when the first piece pulled, subsequent forces would have been directly downward. When Claire's recuperated a bit more, maybe she could tell us more about the anchor orientation. I know that I've set a piece in an anchor and then realized it was only good for upward force, so I had to re-orient.

dicktracy

Sep 3, 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #44 of 85 (11379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, who in the hell would build an anchor only protecting against an upward force? That's a mistake which should make you rethink climbing without a guide. Sorry to be a dick. But seriously, no experienced climber should be doing that.

Majid, I disagree. More protection is the obvious answer. In hindsight, it's true they should have had more protection. Now the question is why did the protection they have fail?

We've answered your question, so what else can we learn?

Edited to be nicer.

(This post was edited by dicktracy on Sep 3, 2008, 12:54 AM)

altelis

Sep 3, 2008, 1:08 AM
Post #45 of 85 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dicktracy] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dicktracy wrote:
Seriously, who in the hell would build an anchor only protecting against an upward force? That's a mistake which should make you rethink climbing without a guide. Sorry to be a dick. But seriously, no experienced climber should be doing that.

Majid, I disagree. More protection is the obvious answer. In hindsight, it's true they should have had more protection. Now the question is why did the protection they have fail?

Edited to be nicer.

Disagree here and agree with trench/majid (who agree even if they don't know it)

the question about why gear failed IS curious, but still only secondary to the question of why such short-sided decision making was made (ie why not reinforce the anchor and run it out more instead of climbing "more protected" on a crappier anchor)

sungam

Sep 3, 2008, 1:08 AM
Post #46 of 85 (11368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dicktracy] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dicktracy wrote:

Edited to be nicer.
Just one little note...
If you are belayin' off the deck you don't have to include a downwards anchor, just in case anyone silly readz this forum. secondly, make sure to keep editing to stay nice, no doubt this guy is going to find this thread eventually and the saying"adding insult to injury" will never have been more true.

majid_sabet

Sep 3, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #47 of 85 (11309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

catbird_seat

Sep 3, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #48 of 85 (11258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jungle_george wrote:

Am I missing something?
It could have happened this way. Climber falls, pulls #1 Camalot, and hits belayer. Belayer is knocked out and can't apply the brakes. Leader falls the length of the first pitch. Rope comes taught on anchor, just before he decks. Anchor fails but because climber decks, no more rope is pulled out. Belayer manages to stay on ledge because of this.

It would take an amazing stroke of luck for the fall distance to be just a little longer than the rope.

majid_sabet

Sep 3, 2008, 6:03 AM
Post #49 of 85 (11248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] 2 rock climbers hurt in Riverside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

catbird_seat wrote:
jungle_george wrote:

Am I missing something?
It could have happened this way. Climber falls, pulls #1 Camalot, and hits belayer. Belayer is knocked out and can't apply the brakes. Leader falls the length of the first pitch. Rope comes taught on anchor, just before he decks. Anchor fails but because climber decks, no more rope is pulled out. Belayer manages to stay on ledge because of this.

It would take an amazing stroke of luck for the fall distance to be just a little longer than the rope.

just remember that longer dynamic rope in service reduces the impact so most likely,the anchor failed during the initial impact where the leader hit the belayer .As belayer got knocked off, his weight turned in to a dead anchor which also reduced the shock. My guess is that anchor failed right after the upward shock load .

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Sep 3, 2008, 6:05 AM)

jt512

Sep 3, 2008, 6:18 AM
Post #50 of 85 (11236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
catbird_seat wrote:
jungle_george wrote:

Am I missing something?

just remember that longer dynamic rope in service reduces the impact so most likely,the anchor failed during the initial impact where the leader hit the belayer .As belayer got knocked off, his weight turned in to a dead anchor which also reduced the shock. My guess is that anchor failed right after the upward shock load .

I can't say that I have any fucking idea what that means.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook