Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

healyje

Oct 21, 2008, 4:32 PM
Post #76 of 283 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chrisrow] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Chris,

Again, I do appreciate you guys picking up the line and it was certainly your perogative to attempt to add value with the various design and manufacturing changes.

However, I, and I suspect others, clearly would have preferred DMM reproduced the HBs as they were. The combination of anodizing, bare wire, different wire hole diameter, lack of epoxy, and set-only sales on top of the discovered size variance made purchasing a these go from a highly anticipated event to one of some frustration.

Particularly so with the #9. I bought the set to get a replacement #9 and twice now finding it unable to fit where an HB #9 goes is a bit of a drag. I'd be happy to mail it back so you folks can check it out, but I'd also ask that you guys do a running check of samples coming off your line against a couple of the originals as well to insure the calibration of your forging and finishing processes.

healyje

Oct 21, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #77 of 283 (5669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tipton wrote:
Healyje,

Is it possible that your #9 is just well worn? It seems to me that the old brass hbs would wear significantly quicker than a typical aluminum nut. Could this be the cause of your size differences?

No, the variance is way beyond what wear would produce. Good thought though...

Tipton

Oct 21, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #78 of 283 (5654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After putting some more thought into this, I'm pretty convinced the difference lies in the material change. Metals cool at different speeds which results in shrinkage inside the mold. This can vary greatly from one metal to another and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the old brass ones shrank a bit more than the aluminum ones.

Thoughts?

sungam

Oct 21, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #79 of 283 (5649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As AB said, I would fully expect that the Brass HB's would be a different size to the alloy DMM's.

healyje

Oct 21, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #80 of 283 (5621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
As AB said, I would fully expect that the Brass HB's would be a different size to the alloy DMM's.

The discussion thus far has only been germane to the the alloys, and not the brass. Which have an interesting story all on their own of their journey from HB to DMM.

sungam

Oct 21, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #81 of 283 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
sungam wrote:

The discussion thus far has only been germane to the the alloys, and not the brass. Which have an interesting story all on their own of their journey from HB to DMM.
Indeed they do.
My comment was in reply to tipton, who is confused.
I shall explain, tipton:
The brassies are small sizes, the alloys are the larger sizes. So it was for HB, and so it shall be for DMM. The brassies were never the same size as the alloys.

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 21, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #82 of 283 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
sungam wrote:

I think everyone is aware of that except Tipton.

Tipton

Oct 22, 2008, 2:28 AM
Post #83 of 283 (5584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Admittedly, I have never owned/touched/seen the HBs. I was under the impression that the entire HB set was made of brass. If the larger sizes are alloy, then my theory is obviously fucked. Thanks for the clarification though.

Chrisrow

Oct 22, 2008, 8:39 AM
Post #84 of 283 (5554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Chris,

Again, I do appreciate you guys picking up the line and it was certainly your perogative to attempt to add value with the various design and manufacturing changes.

However, I, and I suspect others, clearly would have preferred DMM reproduced the HBs as they were. The combination of anodizing, bare wire, different wire hole diameter, lack of epoxy, and set-only sales on top of the discovered size variance made purchasing a these go from a highly anticipated event to one of some frustration.

Particularly so with the #9. I bought the set to get a replacement #9 and twice now finding it unable to fit where an HB #9 goes is a bit of a drag. I'd be happy to mail it back so you folks can check it out, but I'd also ask that you guys do a running check of samples coming off your line against a couple of the originals as well to insure the calibration of your forging and finishing processes.

I never mind getting involved when I feel it is necessary or worthwhile to help throw light on problems or explain matters pertaining to DMM products, but I reckon we have just about done this one to death !
However, the 'changes ' you refer to, now that the dust has settled do not appear to detract from the product. Anodising has been done in line with our other products in this category. Bare wire was decided upon as the plastic sleeves were not durable, and added nothing to the strength. Hole diameter and lack of epoxy is sorted, and the fact that the wire now runs inboard is a definite benefit as it protects the wire and increases the strength of the unit. These decisions were not made in a haphazard fashion but were the result of considered discussion in the course of the product review process.I apologise for your frustration, but I can't turn the clock back.
Please do send the size 9 back to me and we'll check it out and replace. Mark it for my attention.
As regards checks and calibration, this is already fully in place with all production processes. Throughout all our Forging operations we run SPC checks as well as First and Last off. This ensures that the job is set up correctly and sample forgings are regularly checked throughout the forging of that batch.They are checked against the current product drawing which we keep on file for every product we produce. All measurement instruments are themselves verified and calibrated on a regular basis.The drawings were produced from the original HB Forgings and I have checked a recent batch and we are indeed working within + or - 0.2mm. Again all I can say is please do return your number 9 so we can have a look at it. The corrective action we have taken regarding the nut slipping on the wire should now ensure that the Offsets continue to enjoy huge popularity. I guess we'll never please all the people all of the time, but we do try our best.
Cheers
Chris

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #85 of 283 (5521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chrisrow wrote:
Again all I can say is please do return your number 9 so we can have a look at it.

But if he did that, he wouldn't be able to climb all those climbs that only the HB #9 protects!

No noez!

healyje

Oct 22, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #86 of 283 (5489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chrisrow wrote:
As regards checks and calibration, this is already fully in place with all production processes. Throughout all our Forging operations we run SPC checks as well as First and Last off. This ensures that the job is set up correctly and sample forgings are regularly checked throughout the forging of that batch.They are checked against the current product drawing which we keep on file for every product we produce. All measurement instruments are themselves verified and calibrated on a regular basis.The drawings were produced from the original HB Forgings and I have checked a recent batch and we are indeed working within + or - 0.2mm.

Chris, as an past ISO9000 auditor I am familiar with the above quality measures. I'm certainly willing to chalk up fact that I, and at least one other person here, received pieces that are out of spec quite beyond 0.2mm as simply launch or first run anomolies while getting the product ramped up - but significantly out of spec they are. It isn't some peculiar inventiion of mine for novelty's sake, but rather an obvious design or quality issue of yours.

I don't have access to enough of your product to say whether it is simply a first run anomoly or whether inadvertant changes were made to the specs on at least the one of the pieces such that now they are being made within .02mm of the wrong size. Personally, I believe your quality processes are good, so for the moment am inclined to think the latter, but only you folks have access to enough product to determine that.

I will, however, send you mine.

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 22, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #87 of 283 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can we add a section in the new Routes Database to identify climbs that will take the old HB #9 but not the DMM #9?

healyje

Oct 22, 2008, 4:42 PM
Post #88 of 283 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Can we add a section in the new Routes Database to identify climbs that will take the old HB #9 but not the DMM #9?

How would you feel about a replacement cam having a significantly different range...?

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #89 of 283 (5462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

How would you feel about a replacement cam having a significantly different range...?

Did you ever think that perhaps your original #9 is the one out of spec?

Or perhaps you've place it in that one perfect slot so many times you've worn it thin?

But to answer your question, its not out of spec. Or at least, not out of spec for DMM offset nuts. Or have you compared it against others by THE SAME MANUFACTURER and found that it is significantly different? I'm sure when you were examining them both for inconsistencies under the electron microscope you noticed that one had "HB" and the other one had "DMM" on it?

Murf

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #90 of 283 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Chrisrow wrote:
As regards checks and calibration, this is already fully in place with all production processes. Throughout all our Forging operations we run SPC checks as well as First and Last off. This ensures that the job is set up correctly and sample forgings are regularly checked throughout the forging of that batch.They are checked against the current product drawing which we keep on file for every product we produce. All measurement instruments are themselves verified and calibrated on a regular basis.The drawings were produced from the original HB Forgings and I have checked a recent batch and we are indeed working within + or - 0.2mm.

Chris, as an past ISO9000 auditor I am familiar with the above quality measures. I'm certainly willing to chalk up fact that I, and at least one other person here, received pieces that are out of spec quite beyond 0.2mm as simply launch or first run anomolies while getting the product ramped up - but significantly out of spec they are. It isn't some peculiar inventiion of mine for novelty's sake, but rather an obvious design or quality issue of yours.

I don't have access to enough of your product to say whether it is simply a first run anomoly or whether inadvertant changes were made to the specs on at least the one of the pieces such that now they are being made within .02mm of the wrong size. Personally, I believe your quality processes are good, so for the moment am inclined to think the latter, but only you folks have access to enough product to determine that.

I will, however, send you mine.

I'd like to point out again that the above is bullshit.

It reads to me like you are accusing DMM of have poor quality control with their offset nuts. Your reason for this is, as far as I can tell, a comparison against an similarly designed nut. Your piece is much older, and by a completely different manufacturer.

I can think of multiple reasons why your piece is completely different. I've already given you one, DMM has given you at least one, if not two.

Since you are a world class engineer ( not to mention climber ), I'm sure you could come up with at least 2 or 3 more. In fact, if you tax your mind, you might be able to come up with a few that don't involve the dark DMM conspiracy with he anti-HB agenda (although I did hear a rumor regarding jinxing #9 placements the world over ).

I think in fact, you should retract the above in good faith.

Murf

healyje

Oct 22, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #91 of 283 (5444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murf] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

murf wrote:
You can point out whatever you like, but the shipped out-of-spec pieces speak for themselves.

murf wrote:
It reads to me like you are accusing DMM of have poor quality control with their offset nuts.
You need to read what I wrote again - that's not at all what I've said. What I did say was that either a) they had troubles bringing the line up, or b) the #9 is being produced to the wrong spec. Given I and someone else here have out-of-spec #9s it has to be one or the other.

murf wrote:
I can think of multiple reasons why your piece is completely different. I've already given you one, DMM has given you at least one, if not two.
Again, there can only be two reasons for a #9 DMM to be significantly out-of-spec from a #9 HB- either by design or due to execution errors.

murf wrote:
'In good faith' is what I've been posting with in the hopes of either seeing this anomoly corrected or the design restored to the original HB #9 spec.

(This post was edited by healyje on Oct 22, 2008, 5:30 PM)

knieveltech

Oct 22, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #92 of 283 (5441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tipton wrote:
After putting some more thought into this, I'm pretty convinced the difference lies in the material change. Metals cool at different speeds which results in shrinkage inside the mold. This can vary greatly from one metal to another and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the old brass ones shrank a bit more than the aluminum ones.

Thoughts?

Standardly available shrink rules would appear to disagree with this theory:

Tin 1/12" per foot
Iron 1/8" per foot
Bismuth 5/32" per foot
Brass 3/16" per foot
Aluminum 3/16" per foot

Copper 3/16" per foot
Steel 1/4" per foot
Lead 5/16" per foot
Zinc 5/16" per foot

Good thinking though.

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #93 of 283 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
murf wrote:
You can point out whatever you like, but the shipped out-of-spec pieces speak for themselves.

Show me where DMM says that their product would follow the HB specs (other than starting from the same molds)? They have already indicated they have deviated from them. I think, and it seems like DMM does as well, think they are better.

healyje wrote:
murf wrote:
It reads to me like you are accusing DMM of have poor quality control with their offset nuts.
You need to read what I wrote again - that's not at all what I've said. What I did say was that either a) they had troubles bringing the line up, or b) the #9 is being produced to the wrong spec. Given I and someone else here have out-of-spec #9s it has to be one or the other.

Let me check:

healyje wrote:
It isn't some peculiar inventiion of mine for novelty's sake, but rather an obvious design or quality issue of yours.

In my opinion targeting design or quality implies far more than "troubles" or "wrong spec".

In fact, the only way any of your arguements could be supported is if any DMM nuts are out of spec with each other. I stress again, DMM nuts.

healyje wrote:
murf wrote:
Again, there can only be two reasons for a #9 DMM to be significantly out-of-spec from a #9 HB- either by design or due to execution errors.

Let yourself out of your mental box, you must be finding it confining. How about these:

#1 - Yours is out of spec with the rest of the #9 HB's out there.
#2 - HB had a #9 mold break and remade it. They have two generations of #9's and yours was from the first.

healyje wrote:
murf wrote:
'In good faith' is what I've been posting with in the hopes of either seeing this anomoly corrected or the design restored to the original HB #9 spec.

Do you think anyone really cares about your "#9 is out of spec issue"? The rest of us are running around doing hi 5's that DMM went through with making these things. Please put your HB's where CI keeps them.

Murf

Tipton

Oct 22, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #94 of 283 (5414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] DMM alloy offsets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
Tipton wrote:

Thoughts?

Tin 1/12" per foot
Iron 1/8" per foot
Bismuth 5/32" per foot
Brass 3/16" per foot
Aluminum 3/16" per foot

Copper 3/16" per foot
Steel 1/4" per foot
Lead 5/16" per foot
Zinc 5/16" per foot

Good thinking though.

I didn't realize there was a standardized way of measuring shrink. But thats pretty damn cool. Thanks for chiming in.

healyje

Oct 22, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #95 of 283 (5392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

murf wrote:
Show me where DMM says that their product would follow the HB specs (other than starting from the same molds)?

No, they've repeatedly stated they are being faithful to the original HB geometry specs.

murf wrote:
In my opinion targeting design or quality implies far more than "troubles" or "wrong spec".

We disagree. Again, it was either a ramp up problem or a [re]design problem - either way it resulted in out-of-[HB]-spec #9s.

murf wrote:
In fact, the only way any of your arguements could be supported is if any DMM nuts are out of spec with each other. I stress again, DMM nuts.
Not at all, the point of the DMM exercise was to bring the Offsets back to market - clearly with 'improvements', but those specifically did not include changes to the geometry spec.

murf wrote:
Let yourself out of your mental box, you must be finding it confining. How about these:

#1 - Yours is out of spec with the rest of the #9 HB's out there.
#2 - HB had a #9 mold break and remade it. They have two generations of #9's and yours was from the first.
Mine isn't the only out-of-spec one that has turned up so I'd say #1 is out. If the problem is #2, then I would very much urge DMM to remake that mold to bring it back into spec with the original HB geometry.

murf wrote:
Do you think anyone really cares about your "#9 is out of spec issue"?
Again, how would you like a replacement cam to have a significantly different range? I frankly don't give a damn if you or anyone else cares about the issue - I do. Bottom line? Either DMM cares enough to faithfully reproduce the geometry of the HB Offsets or they don't. If they do and the several out-of-spec ones are an anomoly, then great, the problem is probably already fixed. If it is a case of the mold being out of spec then they have the choice of either fixing it or not - I would hope they would. If they don't really give a damn about the original HB geometry then there is little that I can say here that will make any difference.

(This post was edited by healyje on Oct 22, 2008, 7:24 PM)

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #96 of 283 (5371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Again, how would you like a replacement cam to have a significantly different range? I frankly don't give a damn if you or anyone else cares about the issue - I do. Bottom line? Either DMM cares enough to faithfully reproduce the geometry of the HB Offsets or they don't. If they do and the several out-of-spec ones are an anomoly, then great, the problem is probably already fixed. If it is a case of the mold being out of spec then they have the choice of either fixing it or not - I would hope they would. If they don't really give a damn about the original HB geometry then there is little that I can say here that will make any difference.

Well you've really presented nothing:
- No measurements other than it doesn't fit in a placement where it used to. No calipers, no nothing..
- Even if you do so, you have a sample of how many? You have exactly one. I think an ISO certified person like yourself could see the problem with that. Even if you include the anecdotal incident from A_B you have two. Neither of which has been compared to each other.
- You've ignored a very detailed response from the product manager, who has stated ( and I trust we can agree that he has probably seen more samples than you: )

In reply to:
This has all been done in an effort to replicate the original product dimensions, which themselves vary in the flesh and also in the product information from old catalogs.

Wow.. did he just say the product information itself varied in HB literature?

In reply to:
So to reiterate we have not tried to change the size, variations in size on the originals were present anyway, and we are working within the tolerances we have stated.

My take, DMM has probably increased production quality and tolerance. In doing so, it doesn't match your piece, which is more likely the out of spec one.

healyje wrote:
Bottom line? Either DMM cares enough to faithfully reproduce the geometry of the HB Offsets or they don't.

Reproduced according to whom? You and your 1 nut?

healyje wrote:
I frankly don't give a damn if you or anyone else cares about the issue - I do.
I leave you to your bitter disappointment. I know that you'll never accept that you do not have the one true representation of the "#9 Nut", and that DMM has betrayed you with their disregard for your set of HB's. No, betrayed not just you, but the world with their callus disregard. I'm sure they'll have to take the line out of the market because of this. I mean, 3K sets in less than 6 months? At around $70 bucks a set? They would be nuts to continue making them.

Murf

(This post was edited by murf on Oct 22, 2008, 7:45 PM)

healyje

Oct 22, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #97 of 283 (5357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

murf wrote:
I leave you to your bitter disappointment. I know that you'll never accept that you do not have the one true representation of the "#9 Nut", and that DMM has betrayed you with their disregard for your set of HB's. No, betrayed not just you, but the world with their callus disregard. I'm sure they'll have to take the line out of the market because of this. I mean, 3K sets in less than 6 months? At around $70 bucks a set? They would be nuts to continue making them.

I would have to say that, start to finish, you're the drama queen here. If you read the thread you'd know mine wasn't the only out-of-spec #9. And with regard to the "one #9", I've done the route with three different HB #9s over the years - all of them fit both spots - so that's not 'one' HB that would have to be out-of-spec, but three. More likely the one DMM is out of spec than three HBs.

And while I don't particularly care for the other changes DMM has elected to make, I can live with them, but the geometry is non-negotiable. And you are entirely correct that only DMM has access to enough old and new Offests to sort out which is the problem - [re]design or exectution.

Factor2

Oct 22, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #98 of 283 (5351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha murf, I already had this conversation with him (albeit, not as passionately as you are Tongue) and he was just as stubborn. Don't keep wasting your time on him

(This post was edited by Factor2 on Oct 22, 2008, 8:08 PM)

knieveltech

Oct 22, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #99 of 283 (5349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tipton wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
Tipton wrote:

Thoughts?

Tin 1/12" per foot
Iron 1/8" per foot
Bismuth 5/32" per foot
Brass 3/16" per foot
Aluminum 3/16" per foot

Copper 3/16" per foot
Steel 1/4" per foot
Lead 5/16" per foot
Zinc 5/16" per foot

Good thinking though.

I didn't realize there was a standardized way of measuring shrink. But thats pretty damn cool. Thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, there are rulers designed specifically for mold-makers that take shrink into account. I happened to learn about them researching a DIY light foundry setup I'm in the process of building.

murf

Oct 22, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #100 of 283 (5338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

And while I don't particularly care for the other changes DMM has elected to make, I can live with them, but the geometry is non-negotiable.

"non-negotiable" ... You made this drama queen giggle.

I gotta offer you can't refuse...

I got this nut, see...
It don't fit no more...
You, ah, need tah fix your process, see?
We need a winnin' numba nine , capiche?

Don't make me climb wid out dat numba nine, I could break my legs...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook