Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Oct 10, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #51 of 83 (4873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok here are my ideas:

Arrangeable lists. ie in Gear, Search, etc.. the columns are labeled.. you should be able to organize it by those columns. I was looking at carabiner reviews tonight.. i'd like to see them by make, price, stars. And i'd love to see the search be able to be organized by date.. this way someone who actually does a search can find the NEWest thread on the subject.. not one from 1998 that they feel they need to bump to say "yep i agree"

Kill file.. this should be popular

I agree MP has a far superior database set up than here.. you should look at it and see.. you can type in a route name in the search.. get links to the state, area, wall, route, pictures of the route... any other routes by the same name (it's amazing how many "Classic"s there are ;) )

Partner j_ung

Oct 10, 2008, 2:18 PM
Post #52 of 83 (4864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Ok here are my ideas:

Arrangeable lists. ie in Gear, Search, etc.. the columns are labeled.. you should be able to organize it by those columns. I was looking at carabiner reviews tonight.. i'd like to see them by make, price, stars. And i'd love to see the search be able to be organized by date.. this way someone who actually does a search can find the NEWest thread on the subject.. not one from 1998 that they feel they need to bump to say "yep i agree"

Kill file.. this should be popular

I agree MP has a far superior database set up than here.. you should look at it and see.. you can type in a route name in the search.. get links to the state, area, wall, route, pictures of the route... any other routes by the same name (it's amazing how many "Classic"s there are ;) )

I think I have all this on the list in some form or other. For searches, most of that capability exists in the advanced search, which is woefully difficult to get to. (Again, no promises) I'm leaning toward making the advanced search the only search. The stuff about the gear is new. Thanks, Jake.

Edit: actually, routes search doesn't have an advanced function. Listed!

(This post was edited by j_ung on Oct 10, 2008, 2:21 PM)

mheyman

Oct 11, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #53 of 83 (4834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - congratulations! Glad you are "with us" I'm not worried about this site now.

Linking photos and routes would be great.

chossmonkey

Oct 11, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #54 of 83 (4824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
And bring back the "nicknames" under the usernames.
Beside officially crowning me king of this constitutional monarchy, I was going to suggest this.

curt

Oct 14, 2008, 6:45 AM
Post #55 of 83 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Well, it's exciting for me anyway. Not sure about the rest o' you bums.

Remember just a little way back when Daniel announced Namemedia wanted to hire a climber to run the site? Yeah, well… hi!

When I first contacted Daniel about the job opening, my expectations were a little low. I had never heard of Namemedia, and the whole idea of being bought by a company, rather than a person, was easy to scoff at. But during the course of interviewing with Namemedia – a process that went both ways – I became more and more convinced that their involvement with RC.com can be a good thing for everybody here, including those few but vocal users who feel that less direct management over the forums is better. I shared idea after idea with them and found, to my pleasant surprise, that they were looking more for somebody to guide them through the continuing development of RC.com, rather than a yes man to carry out their mandates or an overseer to manage “their” asset. I’ve been on this site for almost four years, and I love it and its users as much as anybody else does. I wouldn’t be a part of this, if I felt it wasn’t going to be fun -- or at least interesting -- for everybody.

So I guess the big question now is, what’s next? First off, as of right now, Daniel still has primary responsibility for everything on RC.com. As I think most of you are aware, he and Willem have agreed to assist for a while to help smooth the transition. As I think some of you are also aware, my professional background is in content and journalism. My web kung fu, however, is weak – like John-McCain weak. It’ll take me quite some time to learn how to perform even simple coding tasks, plus learn the processes in place for interacting with Gossamer, blah, blah, blah… So, where I hope we’re headed is toward a smooth transition that takes as long as it needs to take, while still moving steadily forward. You may see me take over one or two things sooner rather than later, but most things will have to wait while I learn how to do them. The eventual goal, of course, is for me to take over Daniel’s role here completely. The actual timeline for that has yet to be determined, and will probably remain somewhat fluid.

I will also say that one of my earliest tasks is to craft a plan for RC.com’s future. I have more ideas than a pickpocket at a pants convention, but I don’t yet know which of them are viable and which are not. It is at this point in time, that I would like to open this thread up to your ideas. Is there something you’d like to see change? Is there something you think really needs to say the same? Is there a direction you feel RC.com is headed – and should continue on? Or not? Or, do you just have questions?

I make no promises that any feedback will become reality. I only promise that I’m listening. For everything else, I’ll let my actions speak for me.

Let the games begin…

Jay

Hey Jay,

Congrats. I know you have invested a bunch of time and effort into the Gear Reviews side of RC.com (among other things) and I'm sure you will do a great job in your new role.

Curt

Partner j_ung

Oct 15, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #56 of 83 (4774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Curt. That means a lot coming from you.

On another note I climbed all weekend with a friend of yours: sonso45. Great guy. I had a lot of fun.

curt

Oct 17, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #57 of 83 (4752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Thanks, Curt. That means a lot coming from you.

On another note I climbed all weekend with a friend of yours: sonso45. Great guy. I had a lot of fun.

Very cool, Jay--Manny is a great guy.

Curt

shockabuku

Oct 23, 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #58 of 83 (4684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suggestion: Move the "My Stuff" block next to the "Forum Discussions" block so that I can see if there is an interesting new thread and if I have any messages without having to scroll up and down on the screen all the time. Just for me. Well, you can make it available to everyone else too, but just do it because I'd like it. Thanks.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 27, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #59 of 83 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
Congrats, sounds like the right man for the job.

j_ung wrote:
Is there something you’d like to see change?

#1. Supporting partners thingy.
#2. Forum killfile thingy.
#3. PM killfile thingy.
#4. "Delete" option needs to go cause it is giving a bad idea to user. (including myself sometimes)

You mean after all this time, these are STILL the issues on the table? Laugh

I ran into camhead at Miguel's yesterday, he told me you were taking over Jay. That's great, hope you find the help you need man!

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2008, 4:30 PM
Post #60 of 83 (4637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Suggestion: In people's climbing logs, make it so we can click on their particular entry as an ascent and see their comments made.

When I am vetting potential partners, one of the things I do is see what they have been climbing. Sometimes I am...intriqued....by a route they have listed and wonder something like "hmmm....that stands out amongst their other ascents listed. I wonder if they made any comments on their entry."

But it's an effort on OCD to then sort through the route comments to find their in the list.

Certainly not a top priority thing for any "to do" list, but I think it could be a helpful tool, especially for people who onsight a number of partners.

Partner j_ung

Oct 27, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #61 of 83 (4627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
Congrats, sounds like the right man for the job.

j_ung wrote:
Is there something you’d like to see change?

#1. Supporting partners thingy.
#2. Forum killfile thingy.
#3. PM killfile thingy.
#4. "Delete" option needs to go cause it is giving a bad idea to user. (including myself sometimes)

You mean after all this time, these are STILL the issues on the table? Laugh

I ran into camhead at Miguel's yesterday, he told me you were taking over Jay. That's great, hope you find the help you need man!

Thanks, John! It's good to hear from you, bro. I hope all's well!

Partner j_ung

Oct 27, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #62 of 83 (4625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Suggestion: In people's climbing logs, make it so we can click on their particular entry as an ascent and see their comments made.

When I am vetting potential partners, one of the things I do is see what they have been climbing. Sometimes I am...intriqued....by a route they have listed and wonder something like "hmmm....that stands out amongst their other ascents listed. I wonder if they made any comments on their entry."

But it's an effort on OCD to then sort through the route comments to find their in the list.

Certainly not a top priority thing for any "to do" list, but I think it could be a helpful tool, especially for people who onsight a number of partners.

Actually, that's a good call, Terrie. To tell you the truth, I'm mulling killing the partner finder entirely, and letting people just use the regional forums, since that's mostly what happens, anyway. Your idea could help supplement that loss. What would you say to that? Do you use the partner finder at all?

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #63 of 83 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally haven't used the Partner Finder, though I have looked at it once or twice.

If I recall correctly, a person enters info about an area and then gets a list of rc.ers who have offered to give beta, a bed or take them around? Personally, it seemed like a lot of effort on the person's end, as they would have to contact the various people; I found it easier to post in the Forums that I was looking for partners.

That said - I HAVE had people PM me seemingly out of the blue, for info on the Gunks, the area or NYC in general. It only occurred to just now that they probably got me through using that Partner Finder system. (I always thought it was because I was such a big mout...I mean, prolific poster...).

shockabuku

Oct 28, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #64 of 83 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Suggestion: delete the slack-lining forum. Or, like other non-climbing things some of us like to talk about (community) change it so that slack lining posts don't show up on the front page.

Partner j_ung

Oct 28, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #65 of 83 (4586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I have been surprised once in a while to click on something I thought was climbing-related, only to find a slacking discussion. But if you don't mind, I'm going to mull this over for a while. Forum re-organization may be in the card further down the road.

shockabuku

Oct 28, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #66 of 83 (4581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By all means, mull away!

chossmonkey

Oct 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #67 of 83 (4569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting it off the FP and recent posts would be nice. I think getting rid of it might be overboard.

Is there any way that we could have the option of taking things off My Topics?

sungam

Oct 29, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #68 of 83 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Getting it off the FP and recent posts would be nice. I think getting rid of it might be overboard.

Is there any way that we could have the option of taking things off My Topics?
Jay's scripts cover this...

chossmonkey

Oct 31, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #69 of 83 (4507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why aren't "Announcement" posts in "recent posts" when they are posted and replied to?

A lot of the time I only check out My Topics and Recent Posts when I come on here. I usually skip the FP all together. All the other places announcement posts might be linked I will go to occasionally but I don't always look at the stuff at the very top since it doesn't change that much. It would be easy for people to miss them.

boymeetsrock

Oct 31, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #70 of 83 (4502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if it has been mentioned but it would be nice to see the spell checker updated again to include some basic climbing terms like Munter Hitch, Carabiner (sp?), etc...

chossmonkey

Oct 31, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #71 of 83 (4490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
Not sure if it has been mentioned but it would be nice to see the spell checker updated again to include some basic climbing terms like Munter Hitch, Carabiner (sp?), etc...
Honestly, with Firefox I never use the spell check here.

Besides if you figure out how to spell it the first time you can add it to your "personal" dictionary here.

boymeetsrock

Nov 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #72 of 83 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:

Besides if you figure out how to spell it the first time you can add it to your "personal" dictionary here.

I use Firefox. I'm not sure what you mean by not using the spell check here because of that. Do you mean the red dotted lines that keep coming up while I type this post?

Thanks.

chossmonkey

Nov 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #73 of 83 (4474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Exciting New Phase, part II [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:

I use Firefox. I'm not sure what you mean by not using the spell check here because of that. Do you mean the red dotted lines that keep coming up while I type this post?

Thanks.
Yes, right click them and you will get a list of possible corrections. If the word is spelled correctly add it to your personal dictionary.

boymeetsrock

Nov 3, 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #74 of 83 (4442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:

Thanks.
Yes, right click them and you will get a list of possible corrections. If the word is spelled correctly add it to your personal dictionary.

Thanks! I'll run with that.

Partner j_ung

Nov 3, 2008, 8:50 PM
Post #75 of 83 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Why aren't "Announcement" posts in "recent posts" when they are posted and replied to?

A lot of the time I only check out My Topics and Recent Posts when I come on here. I usually skip the FP all together. All the other places announcement posts might be linked I will go to occasionally but I don't always look at the stuff at the very top since it doesn't change that much. It would be easy for people to miss them.

Pretty sure that's a holdover. Previously, the announcement announcement (haha!) only posted to the tops of main forum pages. I just had the coders do the change to get it to the top of the home page, too, 'cause I thought they weren't getting seen. They stay there for, I think, a week. I think we might be ok like that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook