Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

petsfed

Feb 13, 2009, 2:02 AM
Post #1 of 83 (3774 views)
Shortcut

Best and worst date climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wondered, while belaying my girlfriend on the southwest dihedral on the Whale's Tail in Eldo, what other people's experiences with climbing while dating.

So, without further ado, what are your best, and worst, experiences blending your romantic life with your climbing life?

doons

Feb 13, 2009, 2:31 AM
Post #2 of 83 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

maybe you should leave rockclimbing.com and go ask this at Yahoo! personals instead.

colatownkid

Feb 13, 2009, 2:54 AM
Post #3 of 83 (3698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
I wondered, while belaying my girlfriend on the southwest dihedral on the Whale's Tail in Eldo, what other people's experiences with climbing while dating.

So, without further ado, what are your best, and worst, experiences blending your romantic life with your climbing life?

i'm going to marry her. i consider this to be incredibly awesome.

my only complaint is that it really highlights any time we have bad days as climbing partners. on the plus side, i almost always have a partner. it's also done great things for the relationship, what with her constantly saving my life.

overall, i'd say it's been a positive experience.

Myxomatosis

Feb 13, 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #4 of 83 (3688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaha.. well my now xgf told me that she liked me at belay station on the 2nd pitch with her current bf on the deck below us....

Turns out they had broken up a few days before but at the time I had no idea...... I just concentrated on the climbing.. what else was I meant to do Laugh

nkane

Feb 13, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #5 of 83 (3672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

For comparison, it's somewhat easier on a relationship than mountain biking on a tandem.

eliclimbs

Feb 13, 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #6 of 83 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've made many girls cry while seconding. Traverses, difficult cracks, bad communication- These have all been problems. Stories and tips to avoid this at my blog: http://www.climbinghouse.com/...om-me-not-guide.html

curt

Feb 13, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #7 of 83 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Well, here's a fitting comment from my old boss and climbing partner:

Steve Wunsch wrote:
There are all kind of values to be gotten out of climbing. Sometimes you can take a girlfriend up a climb and get laid for it.

Curt

Partner angry

Feb 13, 2009, 5:47 AM
Post #8 of 83 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Currently I'm dating a girl who climbs and I'm very happy about it.

Hands down, the absolute worst person I've ever dated, one of the worst I've ever met, was also a climber.

As much as it is climbing, it isn't about climbing.

i_h8_choss

Feb 13, 2009, 6:03 AM
Post #9 of 83 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

the climber i used to date had a nice truck, liked to travel and take time off work, she also had a very clean and organized rack and she carried one of those organic full pads. nice girl but had to dump her. then i married a non rock-climber, whom ill probably teach how to belay this summer. ahhhh...the sweet side of rc.com.

Craggmire

Feb 13, 2009, 6:32 AM
Post #10 of 83 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I taught my ex-girlfriend to climb and now we always run into each other at the gym...It's really awkward. And everytime i see here there i want to tackle her and take back one of my prized Petzel biners thats on her chalk bag. I mean they're only ten bucks but come on! its a Spirit!

swoopee

Feb 13, 2009, 8:10 AM
Post #11 of 83 (3443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
petsfed wrote:

the climber i used to date had a nice truck, liked to travel and take time off work, she also had a very clean and organized rack and she carried one of those organic full pads. nice girl but had to dump her. then i married a non rock-climber, whom ill probably teach how to belay this summer. ahhhh...the sweet side of rc.com.

Okey, clean is good but how did she organize her rack???

moditup

Feb 13, 2009, 8:33 AM
Post #12 of 83 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
petsfed wrote:

Okey, clean is good but how did she organize her rack???

left one left, right one right.

Partner camhead

Feb 13, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #13 of 83 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
petsfed wrote:

Currently I'm dating a girl who climbs and I'm very happy about it.

Hands down, the absolute worst person I've ever dated, one of the worst I've ever met, was also a climber.

As much as it is climbing, it isn't about climbing.

I dated a girl for a couple years who climbed, but with much different objectives than me. We did ALL the date climbs. Nutcracker, Bastile Crack, North Chimney of Castleton, everything. I would lead all pitches. It got old. When we started dating, she was just breaking into .11 sport, but had serious lead head issues and actually regressed quite a bit during the time we were together. By the end of the whole thing, we spent two weeks in Mexico and barely even climbed with each other, ad it was awesome. But, for the most part, I fit EVERYTHING I wanted to climb around her, and it sucked. I shot up nearly a number grade after we splitzed.

With my now-wife, I am not sure that we have ever had a "date climb." We have very similar objectives, and it is merely going out cragging with our own projects. And it has always been like this. Fuck *date* climbs. Just climbing with your significant other is way better.

That is awl.

fitzontherocks

Feb 13, 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #14 of 83 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to read the OP's original question-- it was about blending climbing and romance and I would have to say it was our 20th wedding anniversary trip to Italy. After much debate, we decided to bring the kids (4, 9 and 13) and we spent a day high above Amalfi at a local crag. While the climbing was overwhelmingly average, the setting and the vibe were the best. Unbelievable scenery, surrounded by fun loving Italian families (from gramma belaying, to 3 year olds roping up), the drunk Irish artist, and the four people I love most in the world. At this point I should say that my wife doesn't climb. So she made new friends, checked out the 16th century towers, and would come to the routes and cheer us on occasionally. One of my daughters climbed with me that day, and I climbed with a Neapolitan I met through rc.com. It was a good day. Romantic, yes, in a certain way. Memorable? Yes. I'll carry that day to my grave.

tigerlilly

Feb 13, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #15 of 83 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
For comparison, it's somewhat easier on a relationship than mountain biking on a tandem.

Having stoked a road tandem, and being a mountain biker, I am always surprised there's a market for more than about 2 mountain tandems. Shocked

Kathy

granite_grrl

Feb 13, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #16 of 83 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I met on a climbing trip.

Best thing is that I have someone around me that's always up to go climbing for the day, ready and excited to get out for the weekend or after work, dispite all the driving we have to do. Also, when it comes to vacation time its always going to be a climbing trip.

Worst thing is that's hard to find other climbing partners that are as serious as we are and want to spend as much time climbing as we do in the area around us. So we're almost always climbing with each other...and everyone loves the tiffs that climbing couples can get into at the crags.

krusher4

Feb 13, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #17 of 83 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OW climbing in Vedauwoo not a good date/climbing weekend..unless you like to nurse eachothers wounds.

but you could say...."I've got my "Big Gear" right here.....you wanna hold it?"

(This post was edited by krusher4 on Feb 13, 2009, 2:44 PM)

petsfed

Feb 13, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #18 of 83 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
My husband and I met on a climbing trip.

Best thing is that I have someone around me that's always up to go climbing for the day, ready and excited to get out for the weekend or after work, dispite all the driving we have to do. Also, when it comes to vacation time its always going to be a climbing trip.

Worst thing is that's hard to find other climbing partners that are as serious as we are and want to spend as much time climbing as we do in the area around us. So we're almost always climbing with each other...and everyone loves the tiffs that climbing couples can get into at the crags.

That is the primary concern I've always had about climbing with a girlfriend.

Fortunately, I have tons of other partners for when the weather gets good and I get really motivated. At the moment, I'm just fine with leading all the pitches on a bunch of relatively easy climbs. Most of my other partners don't really like to climb at all on their rest days, much less a bunch of easy routes and I prefer climbing to totally-inactive-rest-days, so this works well for me. Plus, she'll be in France during the primo Wyoming season, so I'll not be climbing with her when I'm in my best shape.

petsfed

Feb 13, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #19 of 83 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Best and worst date climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krusher4 wrote:
OW climbing in Vedauwoo not a good date/climbing weekend..unless you like to nurse eachothers wounds.

Ok, so a while back, I dated this girl who claimed that she enjoyed climbing. I was on a big offwidth kick at the time, so if it was fat, I was on that shit (which in retrospect, probably affected my taste in women at the time, but I digress). We'd been seeing each other for a week and half, so I elected to take her out to Lower Slot Right. Not too hard, but no giveaway either. No joke, she started crying before she even left the ground. And this was the third time that week that I'd made her cry. And somehow, I'd already met her folks.

I bailed.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Feb 13, 2009, 2:50 PM)

fitzontherocks

Feb 13, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #20 of 83 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
I bailed.

I assume you mean on the chick, not the OW.

wonderwoman

Feb 13, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #21 of 83 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Finding that special secluded place to combine climbing with other activities Angelic....

Flashing your partner when they make it to the belay station...

You know, usual stuff! Wink

Wunderkind

Feb 13, 2009, 3:16 PM
Post #22 of 83 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best: Alfacar crag near Granada was pretty sweet and about the perfect day (except for a 20 ft lead fall on about the slabbiest route I've ever climbed - the kind of fall where you just smear your face all the way down). BUT, we climbed without any concern for the grades b/c we weren't really sure what our capabilities were and how the grades ran in Spain, so it was just about looking for routes that were interesting. My wife did her first sport lead that day as well, which was great to be there for.

Worst: Gym climbing with her when I'm in a bad mood and falling off easy stuff. This is especially bad if she does yoga for the first two hours and I'm ready to leave before she has started.

(This post was edited by Wunderkind on Feb 13, 2009, 3:17 PM)

krusher4

Feb 13, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #23 of 83 (3234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
krusher4 wrote:

Ok, so a while back, I dated this girl who claimed that she enjoyed climbing. I was on a big offwidth kick at the time, so if it was fat, I was on that shit (which in retrospect, probably affected my taste in women at the time, but I digress). We'd been seeing each other for a week and half, so I elected to take her out to Lower Slot Right. Not too hard, but no giveaway either. No joke, she started crying before she even left the ground. And this was the third time that week that I'd made her cry. And somehow, I'd already met her folks.

I bailed.

Thats a great story! I love how you made her cry 3 times in one week LOL.

krusher4

Feb 13, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #24 of 83 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did anyone see the "Clucking" post on mountainproject a few weeks back?

Partner camhead

Feb 13, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #25 of 83 (2455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clucking? Really? Never heard of it.

Hey has anyone heard abut these Chuck Norris Jokes? Or Icanhazmeatbombz?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook