Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
The MASS CLIMBERS thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

core

Apr 14, 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #21726 of 22774 (4700 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by core [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

jakedatc

Apr 14, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #21727 of 22774 (4692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [core] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nope, wanted to up my barefoot redpoint grade :) It was fun times.

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #21728 of 22774 (4650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
[Almost proud to admit that I didn't hit Rumney at all last year. I might this year, but I won't go out of my way.

sympatico. I've succeffully avoided going there, ever. in fact, I want to print some t-shirts weith the slogan "Anywhere But Rumney" on the front, and "Sport is for Gym Rats"on the back ;-)

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #21729 of 22774 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Of course the WMCC old guard isn't going to be pleased with all this spray on rc.com - Ward posted something on neclimbs about it already. So everyone should just go to Rumney instead.

Oh well. its still a HAUL from metrowest & boston, so I don't think they'll be seeing more than occasional visits.
as I recall the Old Guard was a bit cheesed off about the "unwashed masses" invading College Rock after the first BR guide...I read that somewhere, written by somebody...;-)

Gmburns2000

Apr 14, 2009, 1:03 PM
Post #21730 of 22774 (4647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
olderic wrote:
Of course the WMCC old guard isn't going to be pleased with all this spray on rc.com - Ward posted something on neclimbs about it already. So everyone should just go to Rumney instead.

Oh well. its still a HAUL from metrowest & boston, so I don't think they'll be seeing more than occasional visits.
as I recall the Old Guard was a bit cheesed off about the "unwashed masses" invading College Rock after the first BR guide...I read that somewhere, written by somebody...;-)

Actually, Farley isn't much farther from Boston than Rumney is. Of course, we all know that Farley sucks and Rumney is where the best routes are.

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #21731 of 22774 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
robbovius wrote:
olderic wrote:

Actually, Farley isn't much farther from Boston than Rumney is. Of course, we all know that Farley sucks and Rumney is where the best routes are.

.. and according to NEclimbs, rumney is "...short shorts and sport bras, as far as the eye can see..." Go there. Farely sucks.

FYI for me, Farely is 75 miles, and Rumney is 150. Of course, Crawford Notch is 210 for me, and I've daytripped that. I just don't want to go to Rumney.

Gmburns2000

Apr 14, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #21732 of 22774 (4637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
.. and according to NEclimbs, rumney is "...short shorts and sport bras, as far as the eye can see..." Go there. Farely sucks.

Well, I have to admit that the bold text is somewhat appealing.

olderic

Apr 14, 2009, 1:30 PM
Post #21733 of 22774 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:

Showing CR to Larry Laforge may not have been the biggest mistake of my life - but it probably makes the top 10. The real old guard managed to keep it on the down low for over 10 years - out of the first Eastern MA Climbing guide (predesessor to the forst Boston Rocks that Larry did). My bad.

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #21734 of 22774 (4623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
robbovius wrote:

Showing CR to Larry Laforge may not have been the biggest mistake of my life - but it probably makes the top 10. The real old guard managed to keep it on the down low for over 10 years - out of the first Eastern MA Climbing guide (predesessor to the forst Boston Rocks that Larry did). My bad.

ahh, nothing stays secret forever. if it wasn't you, it would have been somebody else. its so accesible, somebody would have found it eventuallty.

Farley? why, you can see that crag from the road! drive down rte 2 thru Erving, there it is. I looked for Ward's comments on NEclimbs, but couldn't find anything.

olderic

Apr 14, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #21735 of 22774 (4617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
[ ahh, nothing stays secret forever. if it wasn't you, it would have been somebody else. its so accesible, somebody would have found it eventuallty.

Farley? why, you can see that crag from the road! drive down rte 2 thru Erving, there it is. I looked for Ward's comments on NEclimbs, but couldn't find anything.

Ward said:

I agree, but don't send them to Farley! A week ago the new parking lot at Farley had 22 cars in a lot designed for 15. The neighbourhood parking (8 spaces) was full as well, and there were plenty of cars in the overflow lot across the river.

There are lots of places along that route 2 corridor - most visible from the road when the leaves are down - Rattlesnake Gutter for example. There are two problems with popularizing them:

1. If there is anything sketchy with the access - and no matter who owns the rock and the approach therre will be something sketchy -a big uptick in activity will bring matters to a head - the outcome might not be good.
2. Bolt and more generally ethical wars on what the "right" type of climbing is.
3. Did I say two problems? The inevitable damage and erosion that goes along with increased use. as much as the gumby-ville atmosphere at CR is annoying I think the erosion and the amount of chalk on the rock there is far worse.

Partner epoch

Apr 14, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #21736 of 22774 (4608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
[Almost proud to admit that I didn't hit Rumney at all last year. I might this year, but I won't go out of my way.

sympatico. I've succeffully avoided going there, ever. in fact, I want to print some t-shirts weith the slogan "Anywhere But Rumney" on the front, and "Sport is for Gym Rats"on the back ;-)

Rob, you don't have to be inclined to clip the boltz. In fact, you'd rarely see a que on any of the pure tard climbs.

Partner cracklover

Apr 14, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #21737 of 22774 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
robbovius wrote:

Yeah, too bad about the access. How much cooler would it have been if you'd gotten into Boston Rolls. I'm dating myself now, huh? I wonder how many people even know of the *existence* of that book, much less own a copy.

GO

olderic

Apr 14, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #21738 of 22774 (4591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Yeah, too bad about the access. How much cooler would it have been if you'd gotten into Boston Rolls. I'm dating myself now, huh? I wonder how many people even know of the *existence* of that book, much less own a copy.

GO

I've got two copies. One signed by all the...ah...participants.

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #21739 of 22774 (4587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
robbovius wrote:
[ ahh, nothing stays secret forever. if it wasn't you, it would have been somebody else. its so accesible, somebody would have found it eventuallty.

Ward said:

I agree, but don't send them to Farley! A week ago the new parking lot at Farley had 22 cars in a lot designed for 15. The neighbourhood parking (8 spaces) was full as well, and there were plenty of cars in the overflow lot across the river.

There are lots of places along that route 2 corridor - most visible from the road when the leaves are down - Rattlesnake Gutter for example. There are two problems with popularizing them:

1. If there is anything sketchy with the access - and no matter who owns the rock and the approach therre will be something sketchy -a big uptick in activity will bring matters to a head - the outcome might not be good.
2. Bolt and more generally ethical wars on what the "right" type of climbing is.
3. Did I say two problems? The inevitable damage and erosion that goes along with increased use. as much as the gumby-ville atmosphere at CR is annoying I think the erosion and the amount of chalk on the rock there is far worse.

All points taken.

College is a far smaller crag, and has seen active climbing since (if I'm understanding you correctly), the late 1960s, so for it to not be eroded and looking a bit used after 40+ years would be a lot to expect. and yes, it can certainly take on a gym-like atmoshpere sometimes. but not always, often its quite pleasant...then again, I've only been climbing there 6 years now, not nearly as long as you have. I have no frame of reference as to when it was pristine.

I don't think that the farley locals can reasonably expect people to not go there now, since its become more visible and notable, thru the WMCC website. I also don't think that they can point to chatter here as more than just one of the contributing factors. It is both the bane and boon of developing climbing areas - you're doing a greate service to teh climbing community, but a crag you might once have had all to yourself is now invaded by all these strangers, taken from you, in a way. Sullied by the hands of unknowns.

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the access concerns.

robbovius

Apr 14, 2009, 4:45 PM
Post #21740 of 22774 (4584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
robbovius wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Rob, you don't have to be inclined to clip the boltz. In fact, you'd rarely see a que on any of the pure tard climbs.

yeah, so I've been told. someday I'll go to rumney. its just not a high priority for me. this new gym in worcester has some pretty sweet sport routes, I'll likely try those out, so maybe then rumney will seem more appealing.

its just not a priority right now.

jakedatc

Apr 14, 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #21741 of 22774 (4850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

"Choss or Bust!"

Jay Rob will never go to rumney because the rock does not shatter into a million pieces when you stand on it.

ratherbe

Apr 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #21742 of 22774 (4842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
olderic wrote:
The new Farley lot is directly off of Rt.2 about 1/4 mile west of where the road(s) up to the old lot is. Very sharp (> 90 degrees) right hand turn up a short steep dirt drive. It's not too hard to see with the leaves off (will be considerably more of a challenge once they come out).

Any other visual clues that can be used to identify this new lot? I assume you aren't talking about the parking across Rt 2 next to the bridge.

I use the purple-ish house on the right as my landmark for the new lot (the next turn after the house is for the lot).

I try to remember that a lot of hard work and money has gone into making Farley what it is. Good thing there's a donation box at the parking lot kiosk to help remind me!!

losbill

Apr 15, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #21743 of 22774 (4821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ratherbe] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I try to remember that a lot of hard work and money has gone into making Farley what it is. Good thing there's a donation box at the parking lot kiosk to help remind me!!

Well put Jen!

Not that I will ever use it given the toxic waste site, semi-active volcano and all the damn choss there.

(This post was edited by losbill on Apr 15, 2009, 12:23 AM)

robbovius

Apr 15, 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #21744 of 22774 (4811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
In reply to:

Well put Jen!

Not that I will ever use it given the toxic waste site, semi-active volcano and all the damn choss there.

seriously. and Jake thinks Quincy is chossy! don't forget the quicksand and zombies.

robbovius

Apr 15, 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #21745 of 22774 (4806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
robbovius wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

"Choss or Bust!"

Jay Rob will never go to rumney because the rock does not shatter into a million pieces when you stand on it.
no, what it is is, Kathy Harshoni gave me a flake she picked up from the talus field at Rumney, and I have it on my attic wallie. compared to the other rocks I've drilled to mount up there, the rumney stone is like compacted dirt. ;-)

jakedatc

Apr 15, 2009, 1:23 AM
Post #21746 of 22774 (4799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Careful.... schist is a very close cousin to Gniess which = Farley

and having a chunk of talus means nothing if you've never pulled on a damn hold. Has had less rock fall than the gunks too

QQ is a greasy, spray painted piece of shit that happens to be close to boston. if it was in NH or VT it would never be seen, let alone climbed... ever.

robbovius

Apr 15, 2009, 2:18 AM
Post #21747 of 22774 (4796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Careful.... schist is a very close cousin to Gniess which = Farley

See? Told ya! Farley sucks!

In reply to:
and having a chunk of talus means nothing if you've never pulled on a damn hold. Has had less rock fall than the gunks too

QQ is a greasy, spray painted piece of shit that happens to be close to boston. if it was in NH or VT it would never be seen, let alone climbed... ever.

calm down, and take a fuckin' joke ya knucklehead ;-)

(This post was edited by robbovius on Apr 15, 2009, 2:21 AM)

Gmburns2000

Apr 15, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #21748 of 22774 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Soleman far out Sports [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
In reply to:

Well put Jen!

You heard that they're strip mining coal there now, too, haven't you? I've heard that when they're done with that they're taking the uranium buried in Moab and moving it under the Wall of Morning Light (or whatever it's called).

There's some seriously dangerous stuff that's being done there, and I know this because I came back form Moab with a slight glow.

robbovius

Apr 15, 2009, 2:10 PM
Post #21749 of 22774 (4766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes Farley certainly does ooooze hindenburg-fail level suckage.

this, however, does not:

Central Rock Gym Construction Update, 4-11-09

It watches in High Quality, or it gets the HOSE!

(This post was edited by robbovius on Apr 15, 2009, 2:11 PM)

Partner cracklover

Apr 15, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #21750 of 22774 (4508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

I've got two copies. One signed by all the...ah...participants.

Cool!!!

GO

First page Previous page 1 ... 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook