Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dynosore

Aug 20, 2009, 3:53 PM
Post #26 of 36 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squishy654] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

squishy654 wrote:
gmggg wrote:
squishy654 wrote:
Sacramento...

Two hours to the best climbing

Two hours to the best surfing

Nice big modern city with more than enough California to go around...

You also get the largest selection of rednecks. The weather sucks in sac compared to socal, but you do have rivers, which you won't have down south...

You may have found that to be true in the past but with all the state workers and the growth of Rancho Cordova, Roseville and Folsom it's a thriving city with jobs which rival the Bay area, including companies like Intel, Microsoft and HP. I truly don't see rednecks, ever in Sac and I've been living here for years. I use to think the same thing you do when I lived in the Bay area, Sac was just rednecks and fields, but it's untrue, so if you wouldn't mind, stop propagating false information...You should b talking about Lodi or Stockton if you hate rednecks...

I'd rather live among the rednecks than in the Bay area. I've spent the equivalent of several months there on business and pleasure over the last few years. 90% of the population are stressed out dooshes that are so worried about making the lease payment on their BMW that they've forgotten how to be nice. The other 10% are homeless. Yuck. IT would be an amazing place to live, if everyone currently there left......

OP, how tied down are you? Spend winter in Hawaii and summer in the Sierras.....if I were young and obligation free that's what I'd do for a couple years at least.

(This post was edited by dynosore on Aug 20, 2009, 3:58 PM)

gmggg

Aug 20, 2009, 4:08 PM
Post #27 of 36 (1828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
squishy654 wrote:
gmggg wrote:
squishy654 wrote:
Sacramento...

You also get the largest selection of rednecks. The weather sucks in sac compared to socal, but you do have rivers, which you won't have down south...

You may have found that to be true in the past but with all the state workers and the growth of Rancho Cordova, Roseville and Folsom it's a thriving city with jobs which rival the Bay area, including companies like Intel, Microsoft and HP. I truly don't see rednecks, ever in Sac and I've been living here for years. I use to think the same thing you do when I lived in the Bay area, Sac was just rednecks and fields, but it's untrue, so if you wouldn't mind, stop propagating false information...You should b talking about Lodi or Stockton if you hate rednecks...

I'd rather live among the rednecks than in the Bay area. I've spent the equivalent of several months there on business and pleasure over the last few years. 90% of the population are stressed out dooshes that are so worried about making the lease payment on their BMW that they've forgotten how to be nice. The other 10% are homeless. Yuck. IT would be an amazing place to live, if everyone currently there left......

OP, how tied down are you? Spend winter in Hawaii and summer in the Sierras.....if I were young and obligation free that's what I'd do for a couple years at least.

I don't hate rednecks. My comment was precise, you get the largest "selection" of rednecks. The influx of younger people doesn't help in this case. It's more of an overall attitude and culture in sac than an issue of race or social class.

The bay area can suck, but not cause of the homeless. Those douches and their stressed out lives are also the primary source of income for the outdoor industry. Next time you enjoy your outdoor goods thank them for spending a lot of money for their gore-tex coffee jacket and color matched ultra-light tent-cum-shelf decoration.

mwelly007

Aug 20, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #28 of 36 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [btreanor] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like LA and the Bay for a vacation, but definitely not for living. I lived in Reno/Tahoe for 2 years and love Truckee, and have tons of friends there. I was contemplating Santa Cruz, but now am thinking for south, like San Louis Obispo. I heard its expensive, but hopefully I land a full-time engineering job. I plan to climb and surf after/before work, which is why I want it close. Weekends I can cruise to Tahoe/Yosemite/Joshua Tree/Red Rocks/etc.

Basically... is SLO tight?

rtwilli4

Sep 3, 2009, 1:53 AM
Post #29 of 36 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Thailand.

In the US, the only places to surf seriously are California and Hawaii. And there ain't no climbing in Hawaii.

I WISH! Absolutely no surfing in Thailand.

Australia?

rtwilli4

Sep 3, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #30 of 36 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
jamatt wrote:
In reply to:
In the US, the only places to surf seriously are California and Hawaii.

The only place to surf seriously and consistently is prolly california. but obx gets some pretty killer hurricane swell several times a year, and on portsmouth one day this past june it was 6 foot, glassy and peeling. truly all time.

we had a pretty good weekend, hit Ship rock, then drove to morris marina, and on portsmouth the next day.
True, but if you are anywhere near the coast in NC you are nowhere near the climbing. So you can live near the coast for those rare times there is good surf. Or you can live near climbing and drive all day to get to rare surf, and the surf might be gone by the time you get there. Your example, Portsmouth is 340 miles and about 8 hours away from Ship Rock. At best you could live about four hours from either place. So no, if you really want to surf and climb, I'd say that NC is probably not the place to live.

You are right... it's not a good example at all. BUT, when I'm in NC it takes me 2 hours to get from my house to Wrightville... another hour to paddle to Masonboro if I need to. It takes me 3 hours to get to Ship Rock and good bouldering, and less than two to get to Moore's Wall.

But for me that's not good enough. I gave up on surfing (for now) and moved to Thailand, where I can be 400 feet off the ground, and 20 minutes later be in the ocean :)

I'm moving to Australia next year, and will be living within and hour of the surf and an hour or two of climbing.

Of course I have no money and no possessions. You can't have it all... if you can find out how to climb and REALLY surf, you've found heaven.

brotherbbock

Sep 3, 2009, 6:31 PM
Post #31 of 36 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squishy654] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squishy654 wrote:
Sacramento...

hahahhahah yeah right! So Cal is way closer to good surf spots that Sac is. We got tons of good crags down here too within an hours drive as well.

squishy654

Sep 3, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #32 of 36 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brotherbbock] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brotherbbock wrote:
squishy654 wrote:
Sacramento...

hahahhahah yeah right! So Cal is way closer to good surf spots that Sac is. We got tons of good crags down here too within an hours drive as well.

I was referring to the "best" climbing...as in lovers leap and Yosemite (3 hrs). I have plenty of granite within 45 minutes and plenty of other types of rock nearby...you can argue Yosemite and lovers leap aren't the best, but I won't agree...even Tahoe has tons of great climbing, too much to really list actually...

surfer9joe

Sep 4, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #33 of 36 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends whats important to you, surfing or climbing.

Coming from a surfing background, I'm amazed at the parralells in surfing and climbing. There are so many levels you can take it to, its physical, its mental, the comeradery, the FUN.

Surprised no one said North Shore oahu. I live in Waialua, we've got literally 100's of the best surf spots in the world within 5-15 minurtes away. ( surfguidehawaii.com ) You could even get into the "extreme" big wave tow-in surfing. I love that stuff, but took years to get there. Anything worth doing aint easy, or rewarding.

I'm a beginning rock climber, but theres bouldering at waimea bay (go surf then boulder), and what looks to my uneducated eyes pretty decent climbing within 15 minutes. I guess not the variety of climbing as elsewhere, but hey, good enough for me.

(This post was edited by surfer9joe on Sep 4, 2009, 12:44 AM)

beachman

Sep 4, 2009, 2:57 AM
Post #34 of 36 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adrian_Falcus] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adrian_Falcus wrote:
Check out Arcata, California, or more generally- Lost Rocks. Miles of beach bouldering and great surf, some sport routes along some of the cliffs as well. I'll be moving there in less than 2 months.

There is no surf in Humboldt. SoCal is where you should move to.

slablizard

Sep 9, 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #35 of 36 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOu're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area?
Stressed out dooches? Where?

Scruz, 1:45 hr (surf) Jailhouse/GoldWall(hard sport)1:45 hrs...
I don't surf, I would love to have time for that too...but I would pick Santa Cruz or somewhere around here (Pleasanton)

dynosore wrote:

surfer9joe

Sep 9, 2009, 1:24 AM
Post #36 of 36 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Surfing & Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would you have to drive to Santa Cruz from San Fran? Ocean Beach in San Fran is a great, very powerfull, although cooooold surf spot. Ive surfed it. More power=less crowds.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook