Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

csproul

Oct 19, 2009, 3:42 PM
Post #76 of 121 (1546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TJGoSurf] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:
If you want people to join your organization dont be a cocksucker. The in particular i'm thinking about was at Pilot. I was talking with one of the rangers about a situation. She overheard, came out and physically pushed me away. Again fuck the CCC.
Do you ever make a post that doesn't make you sound like a complete ignorant Noob? Maybe you should stay away from all the areas where the CCC has helped secure access and/or replace hardware, i.e. Moores, Pilot, Ship, Stone, Asheboro, Laurel Knob, Dixon School...but then again, from reading most of your posts it is pretty clear that you don't have the skills to climb at most of these areas.

forkliftdaddy

Oct 19, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #77 of 121 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
2. We did not retro fit "top-rope" anchors on trad routes at the New. We retro fitted top anchors. That some people will use those to top rope is inevitable, I suppose, but the intent is to preserve cliff-top habitat -- AND IT WORKS.

Toprope vs. top? Seems like a matter we'll just have to disagree on, Jay.

You say top. I say top rope. Let's not call the whole thing off.

Here's my deal. Specifically I don't like
1. when the top(rope) anchors supplant clean gear anchors -- a la Springboard and Burning Calves;
2. where a communal anchor for multiple routes would have done just as well -- for Springboard, Triple Treat and the nearby variation of Springboard, you could top out on a ledge and build a clean anchor and then go to one rap station to descend;
3. where a route now sees significantly more clifftop traffic from top ropers than it ever saw traffic of any kind;
4. where the anchors rob a proud route of finishing moves and/or a topout -- Linear Encounters.

Some great choices were made in the bolts, as well. The top(rope) anchors for Remission are in a great place. It adds a move to what had become the usual finish. The same can be said for the anchor on Happy Hands/Broken Sling.

Hope you're doing well!
Scott

TJGoSurf

Oct 19, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #78 of 121 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You sound like another member. I'm sorry if I am asking for the least bit of courtesy and respect from the CCC. The CCC can't even answer an email when sent to them. Why do they need me as a member when they're not even organized enough to keep up with email.

johnwesely

Oct 19, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #79 of 121 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are not happy, start your own group. I doubt complaining about it will help.

TJGoSurf

Oct 19, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #80 of 121 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone told me to talk with the CCC, I was just expressing why I don't like them. Besides I'm a few months away from deploying again because I gots nothing elses to dos.

csproul

Oct 19, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #81 of 121 (1514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:
You sound like another member. I'm sorry if I am asking for the least bit of courtesy and respect from the CCC. The CCC can't even answer an email when sent to them. Why do they need me as a member when they're not even organized enough to keep up with email.
I am a member. And I am damn thankful that there are people willing to volunteer their time and effort to secure Carolina's climbing resources. I am also well aware that the CCC provides me with benefits that are far more valuable than my meager yearly contribution. Sorry you didn't have an email returned to you. But let's just remember that the CCC is a volunteer organization. The active members also have jobs, families, and they even like to climb on occasion. I highly doubt that anyone within the CCC has it in for you, or purposely ignored your "friend".

johnwesely

Oct 19, 2009, 5:06 PM
Post #82 of 121 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
TJGoSurf wrote:
I am a member. And I am damn thankful that there are people willing to volunteer their time and effort to secure Carolina's climbing resources. I am also well aware that the CCC provides me with benefits that are far more valuable than my meager yearly contribution. Sorry you didn't have an email returned to you. But let's just remember that the CCC is a volunteer organization. The active members also have jobs, families, and they even like to climb on occasion. I highly doubt that anyone within the CCC has it in for you, or purposely ignored your "friend".

I am going to be honest here. I am the person who ignored his friend. I did it because I am part of the secret cabal of the CCC. There are actually two groups. One of them is the one that people like you can join. The second is secret and only known about by people who have proven their value. I will probably be excommunicated, but the truth had to be known. Ignoring emails is only one part of the CCC's notorious dealings. You have been warned.

Partner xtrmecat

Oct 19, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #83 of 121 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go with the thinking of TarHeelET on this for sure.

I am currently involved in the development of a large crag, involved with four people total. The original three of us came up with the ideas of the ethics, and concerns, and decided that,

1 If the rock affords natural pro, no hole will be drilled, as in a tree can and will be considered an anchor. It is pointless to drill a hole which cannot be undrilled, next to any protectable feature.

2 The climbs should be bold, but never unsafe. Should be self explanatory, but I'll add for clarification. NO GRID BOLTING. Just pro, when it is needed, and no more than necessary for a leader of that grade to stay safe. R ratings can happen here, but none yet, and not likely,(rock is very steep to overhanging) as they generally need no pro on easier sections, but cruxes are not run out. X ratings will not exist here as a result of they serve only the ego, or a style too pure for this crag.

3 All grades stated will be honest, no sandbagging. Again, nuff said. Fun and games are had over beers and such, not at the expense of someone's ability or lack of same.

4 And most importantly, all climbs will be safe, first.

Now how can all climbs be safe first, but if an anchor needs to be natural, and a feature allows this, not be bolted to benefit all. What about the top ropers? If a natural anchor can be had, it will. If you wish to climb to a bolt anchor, by all means do, just not this or that climb. They are not for you. There should be one with an anchor close by for you to enjoy. If you wish everything bolted in your style or belief, then by all means, seek this out, but you may be disappointed here. This area may provide some stuff for you, but a lot will not suit your tastes. I do not care, nor do my partners in climb(crime). We simply wish to climb fun stone, with the least amount of impact. If it is not your style of belief, go elsewhere. Period.

Bob

csproul

Oct 19, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #84 of 121 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
csproul wrote:
TJGoSurf wrote:

I am going to be honest here. I am the person who ignored his friend. I did it because I am part of the secret cabal of the CCC. There are actually two groups. One of them is the one that people like you can join. The second is secret and only known about by people who have proven their value. I will probably be excommunicated, but the truth had to be known. Ignoring emails is only one part of the CCC's notorious dealings. You have been warned.
...not helping matters...Wink

Partner cracklover

Oct 19, 2009, 5:14 PM
Post #85 of 121 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think the most salient point in the whole thread was this one made by Clausti:

In reply to:
the climbing at a given crag is the climbing at a given crag, and if you want to do something different, go climb someplace else.

Unfortunately for her, It doesn't actually support Camhead's rant.

To wit, plenty of single pitch trad lines don't need bolts at the top, the locals don't want them, and they're more than popular enough without you on the climb. If socializing at the base of the climb is your priority, find something else to climb.

GO

TJGoSurf

Oct 19, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #86 of 121 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My only argument is eventually that tree is gonna die eventually from use, or depending on how close to the edge it could fall after it gets too large and the soil will no longer support the weight of the tree.

johnwesely

Oct 19, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #87 of 121 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:
My only argument is eventually that tree is gonna die eventually from use, or depending on how close to the edge it could fall after it gets too large and the soil will no longer support the weight of the tree.

Not only was that a great point, but you delivered it in such a profound way.
Btw. I bolted the first three pitches of The Nose at Looking Glass on Sunday, but I removed the bolted anchors. I am pretty sure this is an acceptable exchange.

TJGoSurf

Oct 19, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #88 of 121 (1477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be funny if, A. you were not apart of that secret CCC sect and B. I never asked for bolts on a route, just some fixed gear to rap off of.

Partner climboard

Oct 19, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #89 of 121 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the route really needs fixed gear to get down, then leave fixed gear.

If it stays there, it is necessary. If it doesn't, then someone has figured out a way to get off the route without fixed gear, therefore it is not necessary.

hafilax

Oct 19, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #90 of 121 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
In reply to:
You can easily, and arguably more safely, learn to belay from the top with a bolted anchor.

If you're proficient at it, then it's just as easy and equally safe to belay from the top with a gear anchor. There's no reason that people who don't know how belay from a gear anchor shouldn't learn how.

It's not about adventure, it's about having a skill that is necessary for climbing. I don't understand what the big deal is about people placing a few pieces?

It's also about not permanately screwing up the rock. Bolts make a permanent scar. Climbing in some places you'll notice the weird little holes, why make them if they're not needed?

If your cragging is about mileage then why don't you go to a gym, it's loads safer and you'll get way more mileage without having to deal with the pesky gear, leading, guidebooks, bugs, trails, weather, etc.

You might not climb harder from building anchors but you'll be faster and more proficient at it with practice.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to bolts so I'll say it again. Why place the bolt if it's not necessary. It's a real easy ethical premise in which I can think of a few circumstances where it's necessary.
Spare me the petty insults. My end goal of cragging is preparation for multipitch. To me leading lots of routes in a day is better preparation for climbing multipitch than building tons of anchors. It's really not that hard to build an anchor but it's hard to replace the skill strength and mental training of leading pitch after pitch.

The truth of the matter is that I don't really care either way. I'll climb in the style of the area. I've climbed my share of runouts and built lots of anchors. It's not that I'm pro bolts it's just that I'm not anti bolts.

notapplicable

Oct 19, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #91 of 121 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I think the most salient point in the whole thread was this one made by Clausti:

In reply to:
the climbing at a given crag is the climbing at a given crag, and if you want to do something different, go climb someplace else.

Unfortunately for her, It doesn't actually support Camhead's rant.

To wit, plenty of single pitch trad lines don't need bolts at the top, the locals don't want them, and they're more than popular enough without you on the climb. If socializing at the base of the climb is your priority, find something else to climb.

GO

That may be a loosing proposition though.

I think that the majority of trad climbing is still done as a team where one leads and the other follows and this whole discussion becomes relatively moot. Them times are a changin though. The number of annual participants is ever increasing, sport (leisure) mentality is bleeding over and ethics for the sake of ethics are becoming a bit passe.

I would argue that we are going to see this conversation being had more and more often in the near future and more and more often, the bolts are going to go in. In many ways the ethical line between sport and trad (the means of protection), will be redrawn between the much broader category of "cragging" and remote or multipitch or alpine climbing (the nature of the venue).

Now I for one love the NC ethic because it lends itself to the experience that I'm looking for when I climb. I have no problem with lowering and reclimbing a route to clean and walkoff if my partner doesn't want to or can't follow me up, thats just part of the experience. That said, I think fighting the trend is a lost cause. Convenience anchors have been popping up all over the EC in recent years and it's just going to continue.

CRAGGING IS THE NEW SPORT CLIMBING. C'est la Vie mon ami!

TarHeelEMT

Oct 19, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #92 of 121 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TJGoSurf wrote:
It would be funny if, A. you were not apart of that secret CCC sect and B. I never asked for bolts on a route, just some fixed gear to rap off of.

I still would like you to specify which area and which routes.

Gmburns2000

Oct 19, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #93 of 121 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
clausti wrote:
jmeizis wrote:
I swap leads on single pitch trad plenty

fascinating.

Well, from what I've heard about the speed he and gmburns move at, this is not surprising.

Oy! I take pride in my slowness! Mad

(PS - he's actually pretty damn quick. I'm the one who slows everything down)

btmayo79

Oct 19, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #94 of 121 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Dude, this is such a dumb topic.

Ethics need to stand in their respective areas as they were developed.

If NC is about sparse gear and long runouts, and Boulder canyon is grid bolted, well, so be it.

Just let it be.

I think that there is no problem on single pitch trad routes for fixed anchors, it reduces tat and fixed gear, but if that is the local ethic, let it stand.

Cheers,
B-

forkliftdaddy

Oct 19, 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #95 of 121 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
forkliftdaddy wrote:
Hell, the same is true at the New -- now that they've retrofit top-rope anchors on so many of the gear routes --

at the New, specifically at bridge buttress, the tiny, concentrated clifftop environment was getting *creamed.* those anchors are a good thing.

Clausti, haven't seen you since Squamish, Up Among the Firs. Hope you are well. Was nice to running into you.

I think you may under estimate the impact of top-ropers and guided groups that still traipse around up there. The number of folks actually leading and cleaning routes at the bridge is smaller than the guided groups and the top ropers.

Last time I was there were 4 of us leading or cleaning. There were ~12 TRing.

Partner j_ung

Oct 20, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #96 of 121 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [forkliftdaddy] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

forkliftdaddy wrote:
clausti wrote:
forkliftdaddy wrote:
Hell, the same is true at the New -- now that they've retrofit top-rope anchors on so many of the gear routes --

at the New, specifically at bridge buttress, the tiny, concentrated clifftop environment was getting *creamed.* those anchors are a good thing.

Clausti, haven't seen you since Squamish, Up Among the Firs. Hope you are well. Was nice to running into you.

I think you may under estimate the impact of top-ropers and guided groups that still traipse around up there. The number of folks actually leading and cleaning routes at the bridge is smaller than the guided groups and the top ropers.

Last time I was there were 4 of us leading or cleaning. There were ~12 TRing.

I guess I can take the to-mah-to stance on this one. Laugh

I'll argue that road proximity to Bridge Butt and Junkyard has affected top-rope traffic far more than bolted top anchors. I think the top and bottom ecology at both areas is doomed, but at least people aren't regularly tying off to trees there. In areas where road proximity is not an issue, top anchors have been a rip-roaring success, though I'm sure we can come up with an exception or two.

I agree that in some cases, top anchors detract from routes. Party in My Mind is the one I like least; I still prefer to to top out and belay from the balcony overlooking the Gorge. But regarding Orchard Wall, there is virtually zero top traffic, where previously (if I recall correctly), anchors were fixed to trees.

Partner j_ung

Oct 20, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #97 of 121 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [btmayo79] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

btmayo79 wrote:
Dude, this is such a dumb topic.

Ethics need to stand in their respective areas as they were developed.

If NC is about sparse gear and long runouts, and Boulder canyon is grid bolted, well, so be it.

Just let it be.

I think that there is no problem on single pitch trad routes for fixed anchors, it reduces tat and fixed gear, but if that is the local ethic, let it stand.

Cheers,
B-

What he said.

forkliftdaddy

Oct 20, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #98 of 121 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Ethics question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, but Boulder Canyon was not always grid bolted. Ethics change, sometimes gradually, sometimes out of necessity -- possibly the NRG anchors -- and if we don't agree, have the right (or is it responsibility) to protest the change.

And changes in ethics get applied retroactively to routes that were good enough (or freaking fantastic) as they were previously. The thorn in my side is Linear Encounters. The problem route for Jay is Party. In Big Cottonwood, home of badass slick quartzite routes with finicky gear and occasionally scary runouts, routes are getting retrobolted as new sport lines. Same goes for Boulder Canyon. There's a discussion about it on Mountain Project.

These areas that are now sport havens often have history that goes unremembered and gets disrespected.

(This post was edited by forkliftdaddy on Oct 20, 2009, 3:51 PM)

Partner j_ung

Oct 20, 2009, 3:40 PM
Post #99 of 121 (1257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forkliftdaddy wrote:
Ah, but Boulder Canyon was not always grid bolted.

Is that one of the New Meadow-River crags? Tongue

Partner j_ung

Oct 20, 2009, 4:08 PM
Post #100 of 121 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

forkliftdaddy wrote:
And changes in ethics get applied retroactively to routes that were good enough (or freaking fantastic) as they were previously. The thorn in my side is Linear Encounters. The problem route for Jay is Party. In Big Cottonwood, home of badass slick quartzite routes with finicky gear and occasionally scary runouts, routes are getting retrobolted as new sport lines. Same goes for Boulder Canyon. There's a discussion about it on Mountain Project.

These areas that are now sport havens often have history that goes unremembered and gets disrespected.

I'm not sure Boulder Canyon is a fair comparison. Trad routes at the New have gotten top anchors by permit and at the request of the Park specifically to preserve habitat. Personally, I see it as a very forward-thinking, non-dogmatic way to go about conservation in the face of a potentially damaging activity, such as climbing. No offense or disrespect meant to BC locals, but retro bolting a trad climb occurs for an entirely different set of reasons. We did not look at, for example, Springboard and say, "This route isn't safe for top ropers. Let's give them an anchor."

Has our practice of doing so essentially placed conservation above the desires of people who share your opinion? Yes. I make no apologies for that.

edited for clarification

(This post was edited by j_ung on Oct 20, 2009, 4:10 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook