Dec climbing in Minnesota
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

fo_d

Dec 2, 2002, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Dec climbing in Minnesota  (North_America: United_States: Montana: Rock_Climbing: Livingston: Mill_Creek_Canyon: Mill_Creek_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well here we are in December, duskerhu is talkin bout the close of the season but I'm hoping we'll get a day at Barns before Christmas and maybe even a few more thru the dead of winter, so stay tuned and lets see what old man winter pulls out of his hat for us. .

Now for my tale of Thanksgiving climbing:

Ok, it was'nt much, I talk a bunch of the family in Indiana into going to the mall where they have a climbing wall, after looking at the 4 routes I decide I can do the expert route (I get 2 tries) I'm pretty sure the route was no more than a 5.9 maybe less but I only managed to compleat a little better than half the route. Climbing in regular athletic shoes and no chalk on plastic holds is a lot harder than I thought, so I decide to do the "hard" route witch my daughter and non-climber brother-in-law have already compleated, well you guessed it I'm sure, I didnt finish that route either, I think the route was probly 5.7ish and I could not pull the last 2 moves. Then later on I see one of the guys who worked at the wall climb the expert route with no chalk or climbing shoes, and he also told me that he had never climbed in a gym or outdoors.

oh well, I'll see some of you at VE tomarrow.

Later

Les

duskerhu

Dec 2, 2002, 7:33 AM
Post #2 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Dec climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhh Les, I feel bad for you when you have less than GRAND! climbing experiences...

Compells me to give you an Incredibly Intense workout at VE Monday night... We'll have you back in climbing shape in NO time! (even if it is only gym climbing; then you're ready to go when we do get that oddball day to sneak outside sometime in the next 3 months, yeah!)...

Hey, you guys look outside in the last little bit??? Its SNOWING! and its sticking on the ground!!!

Hey Les, you can always teach me how to snowboard...

1600 at VE for anyone interested!

Dann

duskerhu

Dec 4, 2002, 8:15 AM
Post #3 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know its Lame and Shamefull to submit a post, just to bring a thread back up to the top of the list...

But WHO CARES! I'm doing it anyway!

I guess I could add some info while I'm here...
Its a little after 0200 4 DEC 2002 and its snOWINg! Maybe up to an inch tonight... WOW! (I'm more looking for a foot or so )

I could sing some Christmas carols.?.?.?.? AAHHhhh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place to go... Let it snow, let it snow, let it SNOW!

Anyway, its Wednesday and I'm going to VE tonight when I get up; ummm maybe around 5pm or so...

Anyone want to come out, come on out!

See ya there
Dann

[ This Message was edited by: duskerhu on 2002-12-04 00:16 ]

fo_d

Dec 4, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #4 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could probly belch a x-mas tune for you

duskerhu

Dec 5, 2002, 5:39 AM
Post #5 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now THAT I'd like to hear Les!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know... I didn't make it climbing tonight. I guess I've been finding it hard to get there on Wednesdays lately knowing my main man fo_d ain't gonna be there... And, that the place is perpetually PACKED on Wednesdays because of all the groups and college kids.

I could make up 10 other excuses for you too but, they'd just be excuses...

I did get OUT and do some X-mas shopping though... I'm not a total home bum!

duskerhu

fo_d

Dec 5, 2002, 12:00 PM
Post #6 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just thought of something, if you have to be to work on Mon nights at 10:pm, how are you gonna ever get to play add on? I might have to get you started on the game early so you dont miss out on any of the pain, Then I suppose youll have to start shaming me into working on that black route

Les

Oh oh oh, I almost forgot, that stupid weather guy on wcco said we will get a big warm-up next week, 50's or maybe better. We'll have to keep an eye out for that.

duskerhu

Dec 6, 2002, 10:54 AM
Post #7 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya know, we used to just PM this stuff back and forth, then we decided there were so many of us that it was getting to be a pain; everyone PM'n back and forth...

Now it's just you and me... I guess everyone else has given up on us already... Did I mention WINTER too early?

About the "Add On"... Yeah, we can start that a little earlier... I don't mind the pain if you think you can show me some...

But shaming you about the "black route", OH WAIT! hahahahaha... I know the black route you're refering to now... Yeah! I'll be shaming ya 'bout dat route brutha! After I don't let you off the green one... And then we gotta start on that yellow one, and maybe something up next to the little pit...

Boy, I sa 'pose I'll have to start doing my winter workout mornings again pretty soon lest you show me up on those lead routes...

And, the weather... I'm not gonna count THEM chickens yet; but you got me thinkin'... hahaha... You got me thinkin' dude...

Anyone smell smoke yet???

(dang, and i was gonna sing x-mas stuff again, but i guess i don't wanna jinx the weather thang)

duskerhu

fo_d

Dec 6, 2002, 11:30 AM
Post #8 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, we could just go back to pm'ing but thats not as fun.

And by the way, its Ed and Jay that dish up the pain, I'm just a follower, when I do get to add a hold you can bet its a huge handle or a bucket

rocksolid

Dec 6, 2002, 2:10 PM
Post #9 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want pain, just wait until I'm in the gym with you guys and you decide to get a little game of Add-On going... You ain't known pain yet!

On a seperate note, Jay, Ed, and I are thinking about hitting Red Rocks in mid-January. We are probably going to do a three day weekend (Friday - Sunday or Saturday - Monday) out there. If you are interested, I can let you guys more details later...

rockhugger

Dec 6, 2002, 4:08 PM
Post #10 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, this is Shelly,Jeff's wife. He wanted to let you know he is having a good time in GA. He can read the posts from his moms but cannot reply because of her computer. He will probably be back on Tuesday to bug you all, and I know he will want to go climbing in this cold weather. Shelly P

fo_d

Dec 6, 2002, 10:11 PM
Post #11 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update, Dann and I were beginning to think we were the only ones left.

Juff!! dont you get sunburnt.

Les

As for Red rocks I wish I could pull that one off but I'm pretty sure that wont fly, if I want to goto J-tree in April I cant be pulling any other road trips out of my arse between now and then

duskerhu

Dec 7, 2002, 3:40 AM
Post #12 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, besides the fact that you're supposed to go on a cruise pretty soon here too Les...

That pretty much goes for me too. With the X-mas my kids are about to have, I'll be lucky to "re-group" my finances for that J-Tree trip. (hey, try to say that 3 times fast -> J-Tree trip, J-Tree trip, J-Tree trip)

Good thing we had a company meeting yesterday and the GM told us every employee at the FBO will have made 300G's for the company by the end of the year, AND that our labor cost is lower than it's ever been... Time for a raise eh?

Jeff, hows that knee? Is it out climbing the rest of you now??? Don't come home expecting it to be nice... It was like 30 today but its supposed to be colder than a witches teet in a brass bra the rest of the weekend.

* Anyone interested in some wholesome fun Saturday, RAGGS (my cousins band; classic rock covers) is having a "Family Holiday Concert" Saturday, Dec. 7th, 6-8pm at the Minnesota Music Cafe; Payne Ave 1 block west of W. 7th St. in St. Paul... Lots of fun, lots of kids, hors'douvres, and cheap drinks; come on out.

duskerhu

fo_d

Dec 8, 2002, 7:08 PM
Post #13 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmmm, there are rumblings of low 40's on Wed, is that enough to lure me into the great outdoors? Is this the big warm up that bozo on wcco was talking about?

I dont think so.

Unless someone wants to dare me.

Les

gymclimbfreak

Dec 8, 2002, 11:31 PM
Post #14 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Les I dare you to go climbing, but I hope you like climbing in snow.. Front looks to be moving in wednesday. Get lots of snow.. I'd love to see ya climb then.. see ya monday at VE.

Tim

[ This Message was edited by: gymclimbfreak on 2002-12-08 15:32 ]

duskerhu

Dec 9, 2002, 12:24 AM
Post #15 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey don't even be TEMPTing him like that...

He'll be over tonight trying to talk me into it... and Wednesday is one of the days I CAN climb.

So I'll agree, and the next thing I know, we'll be trudgin' up there with boots on and a box full of hand warmers and then when we get done climbing, he'll be tryin' to convince me we should snowboard down the north side into town for some lunch...

Can't we at least wait til it actually HITS 40? Or at least until we're really jones'n for it; and get a January or February warm-up???

(please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday, please be warm wednesday)

Well, for now, 4pm @ VE Monday...

duskerhu

fo_d

Dec 9, 2002, 1:45 AM
Post #16 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm, the weather.com isnt telling me what I want to hear but the local guys are still saying lower 40's, the snow doesnt come till Thurs. as for the snowboarding, if you want to get a board then I'll brig mine, how bout subway?

gymclimbfreak

Dec 9, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #17 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry les.. didn't mean to tease you about the weather.. sounds like you two might have fun snow or not..

duskerhu

Dec 10, 2002, 6:01 AM
Post #18 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HA OH YEAH!!!

National Weather Service in Chanhassen MN predicts as of 2300 12/9/02, the high for Wednesday 12/11/02 is in the neigborhood of 49 degrees F...

You can try to talk me out of going Les, but I may just have to SOLO then... (ha, the other day I was commenting on you draggin' me up there... Now I'm gonna drag you up there)

I don't know Les, this is gonna be our "December" climb, then we get one January, one in February, and March thru next November is no prob dude!

duskerhu

twiz

Dec 10, 2002, 6:18 AM
Post #19 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this rock talk!

I dont know how you climb rock when its so cold and there are tools to swing. It felt sooooooooo good to be back on the ice this weekend!

Maybe a few more 'warm' days, but winter IS here!

Thats all I gots to say!

duskerhu

Dec 10, 2002, 6:56 AM
Post #20 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry twiz, when you're NOT into the ICE gig, well, you gotta get as much ROCK as you can (when you can in a MN winter).

Besides, thermals and hand warmers do wonders if the temp is above 35...

duskerhu

dontneedfeet

Dec 10, 2002, 6:57 AM
Post #21 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If somebody's available, you could probably twist my arm into heading up to Taylors for some bouldering or Red Wing next Sunday-Tuesday...

fo_d

Dec 10, 2002, 11:58 AM
Post #22 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, anyone who is interested, duskerhu and I will be heading to Barn bluff Wed. We'll be on winter wall.

The idea here is to be able to say you climbed outdoors every month of the year

Les

gymclimbfreak

Dec 11, 2002, 12:44 AM
Post #23 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a bummer that I still can't feel my arms or hands after monday nights climb. Oh yeah work too.. I'd love to go with you guys, thanks for the fun monday night and if my arms and fingers hold up one of these nights I'll play add on next time, it does seem addictive.. stay warm adn climb well, catch ya in the gym monday, hopefully.

Tim

duskerhu

Dec 11, 2002, 9:26 AM
Post #24 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, fo_d and I have changed our plans... hopefully for the better and maybe benefiting some of you...

First, we are NOT climbing today (Wednesday) at Barn Bluff!

We are now planning to go Saturday 12/14/02. Meeting in the parking area at Barn Bluff in Red Wing at 11:00am, climbing til 4pm.

Reason for the change you ask??? Well, we noticed the weather prediction is as good or better for the weekend, Saturday works better than Sunday, and is easier than today for both of us...

Reason any of YOU care??? Well, we like to climb as a gang! And, if knowone else shows up, well, we'll still have a blast!

Anyway, Saturday at Barn Bluff, come on out! Then you too can say "I climbed in Minnesota in December!"

Bring your sun screen and bug spray...

duskerhu

fo_d

Dec 11, 2002, 12:02 PM
Post #25 of 71 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooops, I almost forgot about the bug spray.

Hey Tim, it was good to meet you,and your arms will come back in time for the next round, remeber the lessons we learned Monday.....keep your harness on with a belay tool attached while bouldering for maximum pain when you fall

Les

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook