Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Draw Thief Caught
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

MS1

Jan 3, 2011, 4:17 PM
Post #151 of 285 (15722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
You guys didn't see that beard? No? What about his hat?

Hey, let's take bet's on whether or not dudebro had a cragdog.

You can actually see a dog at the crag at some point. My only reason to doubt that it was his is that it was too well behaved. Although maybe it was just trained to play it cool while quietly filching gear from other people's packs.

notapplicable

Jan 3, 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #152 of 285 (15716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
While you might not honor the FA, many people do otherwise there wouldn't be such a bitch fest when someone adds or chops a bolt on a route that was put up by someone else.

I don't think where the notion of first ascencionist rights falls in the timeline of climbing is relevant either. It still exists and since enough people seem to honor the rights of the FA in the present I don't think it matters when the notion of those rights began.

Where am I off base? In asserting that people should take responsibility to things which they claim rights or pseudo ownership to or in asserting that a route equipper could lose a lawsuit if they don't regularly replace their fixed equipment? Enlighten me.

Oh, I do honor the FA.

And while I hesitate to speak for anyone else, I'm confident no one here honors the FA based on any implicit or explicit claim of ownership of the route either. Thats not what it is about and those claims are rarely made.

jmeizis

Jan 3, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #153 of 285 (15708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't tell if you're saying your honoring of a FA is simply honorific or if there having done the FA entitles them to certain rights in regards to a route they put up.

sungam

Jan 3, 2011, 4:45 PM
Post #154 of 285 (15689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
sungam wrote:

You can actually see a dog at the crag at some point. My only reason to doubt that it was his is that it was too well behaved. Although maybe it was just trained to play it cool while quietly filching gear from other people's packs.
It's a tricky question. Some people are very different with the interactions with dogs then with people. Maybe he's a great dog owner and it's very well behaved and waits patienly as his owner steals petzl spirits from the kakodemon boulder.

jt512

Jan 3, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #155 of 285 (15682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
While you might not honor the FA, many people do otherwise there wouldn't be such a bitch fest when someone adds or chops a bolt on a route that was put up by someone else.

I don't think where the notion of first ascencionist rights falls in the timeline of climbing is relevant either. It still exists and since enough people seem to honor the rights of the FA in the present I don't think it matters when the notion of those rights began.

Where am I off base?

In asserting that there is a notion of first ascentionist rights in the first place. What there is is a tradition of respecting the first ascentionist's style, which includes not adding bolts to an established trad route. This tradition has spilled over into sport climbing in the form of respecting the effort and the vision of the first ascentionist, but a sport FAist who botches the job badly enough may have his decisions overridden by more competent local activists.

Jay

jt512

Jan 3, 2011, 4:58 PM
Post #156 of 285 (15677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
I can't tell if you're saying your honoring of a FA is simply honorific or if there having done the FA entitles them to certain rights in regards to a route they put up.

I think that what he said is clear. He's saying the same I am, above.

Jay

Bats

Jan 3, 2011, 5:35 PM
Post #157 of 285 (15654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunny,

I am confused about this sport climbing issues. That is why I am asking you. What constitute legitimate booty from theft? I thought you cleaned after you climbed on sport or trad, and not leave any gear for days.
The way I look at it the owners and qd thief are equally guilty.

notapplicable

Jan 3, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #158 of 285 (15653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jmeizis wrote:

I think that what he said is clear. He's saying the same I am, above.

Jay

This is exactly right.

I'm beginning to hope that jmeizis is actually this sites most talented troll. Otherwise this is profoundly embarrassing.

notapplicable

Jan 3, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #159 of 285 (15651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Sunny,

I am confused about this sport climbing issues. That is why I am asking you. What constitute legitimate booty from theft? I thought you cleaned after you climbed on sport or trad, and not leave any gear for days.

That seems more a than a bit harsh.

Gmburns2000

Jan 3, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #160 of 285 (15620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
MS1 wrote:
sungam wrote:

It's a tricky question. Some people are very different with the interactions with dogs then with people. Maybe he's a great dog owner and it's very well behaved and waits patienly as his owner steals petzl spirits from the kakodemon boulder.

maybe the owner steals petzls and the dog steals sandwhichs. the dog gives half of his sandwhich to the owner and the owner ensures the dog has the mega coolest collar and leash around. for each, it is a win.

majid_sabet

Jan 3, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #161 of 285 (15611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Majid, when you are in the Valley, do you routinely remove the fixed lines from El Cap? Say, for example, the ones at the base of the Nose or Salathe?

Not me but Climbing ranger and those in charge do it regularly and you get fine if you leave it out there. You need to remember that valley has small climbing community and everyone knows everything. They know who does what and what you are up to in real time.

Partner cracklover

Jan 3, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #162 of 285 (15598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two things:

1 - The thief was lying from beginning to end. I've little doubt that he will be more careful next time, but that there will be a next time.

2 - Outside of the narrow pissing match with Jay and Moose, I think the question of liability *is* an interesting one, and worth discussing.

Let's take the case that happened recently in Australia, in which a party equipped a route poorly, resulting in a bad accident. It was claimed that the party had been warned beforehand (by one of the most well-respected local developers) *not* to use the type of bolt they had in mind, and/or *not* to bolt the line they had in mind (because the rock was known to be poor).

The party was on a mission to do an FA each place they went, and they disregarded the advice that was given.

Let's say this happened in the US, and that both parties were US citizens. Wouldn't there be a good claim for negligence, even under Jay's more strict interpretation?

As a climber, I would strongly hope that we would police/look after our own. This means vilify the bolters so they could never develop another route, and raise the $$ to help out the fallen climber. It means keep it out of the court.

But in reality, I see no reason to think it *would* stay out of court. Further, I see no reason to think that the injured party wouldn't stand a good chance of winning. And if this happened, it could create a legal precedent that would be very damaging to further development.

GO

kennoyce

Jan 3, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #163 of 285 (15597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
My personal belief is that if route equippers want to lay claim to the state of the route itself (whether bolts are added or removed, anchors moved, etc.) then yes I think they need to go back and maintain the fixed gear as long as they want sole say over the route.

If they want to bolt it, climb it, name it, and move on then no I think it then becomes community responsibility.

I don't believe you can argue some pseudo ownership of a route and then just deny any responsibility if your fixed gear fails. While I don't believe they should get sued for it that doesn't mean they couldn't be.

Now while what I said above does share a few of my personal beliefs it was more just pointing out the fact that assumption of risk is not full protection for route equippers even if climbers assume all risks. Keep in mind I'm probably not going to be on the jury should some route equipper get sued and most judges and jurors aren't going to necessarily understand or agree with a climber's perspective. It's like if I go install a swing in the park. If I donate it as a gift to the community then people probably aren't going to look for me if it breaks a few years down the road. If I say it's the "Jeremiah is Awesome" swing and people can only swing on it if they think I'm awesome and don't mess with the state of the swing and then some little kid breaks their neck when it collapses then I have no doubt that I'd be sued. Actually it's more likely that the manufacturer would get sued but you get the idea.

I only agree with you about the risk in part. I agree that if we climb we accept all the risks. It's necessary in our participation that we accept all those possibilities but I don't think equipment failure is something that we willingly accept. People know that it's possible that it can happen even if they do everything according to manufacturers recommendations but I don't think anyone would say that properly used equipment failing is something they're cool with. You'll never see a company succeed if people who use their equipment start dying.

My lack of placing bolts has no bearing on whether a court would decide a route equipper was responsible for equipment failure on a route they put up. While I was mostly playing devil's advocate I do myself believe some of the points I brought up.

If someone who has no business bolting routes starts putting up routes with bad bolts (overtorqued, placement in bad rock, whatever) then do you really think they shouldn't have a share in the responsibility if people get injured or killed on the routes they put up?

I couldn't disagree with the bolded statement more. I have clipped many bolts in my life that I knew I shouldn't fall on (many that I wouldn't even want to hang on). In these cases, I am perfectly willing to accept equipment failure should I fall on these bolts, but I still clip them because there is the slight chance that the bolt might hold. I also generally try not to fall on the only bolt keeping me off the ground (not that I didn't do this on saturday, but it is a good general rule). I think any smart climber has to accept the possibility of equipment failure. If you are ignorant and are injured or killed because of it, that's your own fault.

I have bolted routes many hundreds of miles from where I live, most of which I have only climbed once. I certainly don't think that I have a responsibility to keep the hardware in good condition. I would prefer that the bolt placements remain where they are so that anyone who wants to climb the routes will have the same experience. I don't feel that I own the routes, nor do I think that most route developers feel that they are the owners. The tradition to keep routes in the style of the FA has nothing to do with ownership, but is about preserving climbing styles for all to enjoy.

Gmburns2000

Jan 3, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #164 of 285 (15567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Two things:

1 - The thief was lying from beginning to end. I've little doubt that he will be more careful next time, but that there will be a next time.

2 - Outside of the narrow pissing match with Jay and Moose, I think the question of liability *is* an interesting one, and worth discussing.

Let's take the case that happened recently in Australia, in which a party equipped a route poorly, resulting in a bad accident. It was claimed that the party had been warned beforehand (by one of the most well-respected local developers) *not* to use the type of bolt they had in mind, and/or *not* to bolt the line they had in mind (because the rock was known to be poor).

The party was on a mission to do an FA each place they went, and they disregarded the advice that was given.

Let's say this happened in the US, and that both parties were US citizens. Wouldn't there be a good claim for negligence, even under Jay's more strict interpretation?

As a climber, I would strongly hope that we would police/look after our own. This means vilify the bolters so they could never develop another route, and raise the $$ to help out the fallen climber. It means keep it out of the court.

But in reality, I see no reason to think it *would* stay out of court. Further, I see no reason to think that the injured party wouldn't stand a good chance of winning. And if this happened, it could create a legal precedent that would be very damaging to further development.

GO

Thank god someone brought this up! I was just trying to find that thread myself. I remember there being a bit of shit storm that the FA'ist didn't take responsibility for the poor bolting job, or at least that he didn't admit that he had done a bad job.

Even if it didn't end up court, I find it hard to believe that folks wouldn't want the FA'ist to take resposibility. For instance, how many folks who have done FA's have placed a bolt on the FA with the understanding that a better bolt would work better in that particular placement, and then have gone back later to indeed place a better bolt there? If that isn't some feeling of responsibility then I'm not sure what is.

jmeizis

Jan 3, 2011, 7:52 PM
Post #165 of 285 (15536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jay worded it a little better than you. I get what you're driving at. So it sounds like in honoring or respecting the FA's style you're allowing certain rights, correct? The right to name it, the right to add or remove bolts, the right to fix draws on it, cut rings if people won't stop TRing through them, and so on?

It's not total control over the route but FA's maintain some minor control over that patch of rock that they climbed first. They can't sell it or anything but they have the right to make certain changes to it that others are excluded from making. These conventions of allowing certain rights, abilities, or honors, that aren't available to others is the basis of property rights. While climbing routes eventually fall under the umbrella of real property ownership be it public or private land those rights given to the FA's by the climbing community are a sort of possessory interest. So if you regard any FA as having rights to make changes (minor as they may be) then you're de facto allowing a possessory interest. Whether you like it or not I think that's giving them a claim of some sort of ownership.

Now if that follows then you either agree or disagree with what I said before about people who claim rights to a route needing to take responsibility for it and things that happen with it.

Ken, I said willingly accept. While I have certainly climbed above crappy bolts, pitons, gear, screws, etc. I didn't do it because I wanted to climb above crappy equipment, I wanted to climb the route and the risk I felt of falling was less than the risk I felt of the gear failing. If I had a rusty 1/4" bolt next to a bomber glue in I don't have to accept the crappy bolt. If there is only the crappy bolt my choices are to back off (which is not always easy or safer), just solo the route, or clip the bolt. I don't believe that a lack of desireable choices means we willingly accept the best option currently available. If someone robs you at gunpoint and they tell you to hand over your wallet or get shot in the face would you say either choice was willing?

As for the routes you've put up. While you desire that they stay the same you aren't checking up on them or bitching if someone changes them. I don't think all FA's do keep such interest in the routes they put up but I do know some FA's who do keep such interest, if not in all the routes they put up, at least some of them. I don't think a FA who puts up a route and leaves it to the masses is making any sort of possessory claim and therefore bears no responsibility for what happens after them. If on the other hand they do claim some sort of rights to the route then they can't shirk everything that I think goes along with that.

Maybe I am way off base. Maybe no route developers feel any interest in what happens to their routes. People don't bitch if someone adds or removes bolts from a route that isn't there's, and no FA tell people they have permission to add or remove bolts from a route.

bill413

Jan 3, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #166 of 285 (15527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Sunny,

I think (and am willing to be shot down) that:
Single draw on route: booty
A few draws on route: probably booty
Fully equipped route: probably a project, or communal draws

redlude97

Jan 3, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #167 of 285 (15523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Two things:

GO
I think what the law states, and what climbers as a community should do are very different, and like you said, we should look out for our own. In many places there are no laws restricting the addition of bolts, yet the climbing community is mostly in agreement that bolts should not be added to cracks that can be protected by trad gear. Bad bolts should be replaced if deemed necessary, but it isn't necessarily the FA's responsibility to do so. If they decide to replace a sketchy bolt it is a voluntary action.

Partner j_ung

Jan 3, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #168 of 285 (15513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Two things:

GO

Very well put. I'll take one of your points a step further to say that we as a community should chastise any blatantly irresponsible development AND any person who files a negligence lawsuit in such a situation.

kennoyce

Jan 3, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #169 of 285 (15490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Jay worded it a little better than you. I get what you're driving at. So it sounds like in honoring or respecting the FA's style you're allowing certain rights, correct? The right to name it, the right to add or remove bolts, the right to fix draws on it, cut rings if people won't stop TRing through them, and so on?

It's not total control over the route but FA's maintain some minor control over that patch of rock that they climbed first. They can't sell it or anything but they have the right to make certain changes to it that others are excluded from making. These conventions of allowing certain rights, abilities, or honors, that aren't available to others is the basis of property rights. While climbing routes eventually fall under the umbrella of real property ownership be it public or private land those rights given to the FA's by the climbing community are a sort of possessory interest. So if you regard any FA as having rights to make changes (minor as they may be) then you're de facto allowing a possessory interest. Whether you like it or not I think that's giving them a claim of some sort of ownership.

Now if that follows then you either agree or disagree with what I said before about people who claim rights to a route needing to take responsibility for it and things that happen with it.

Ken, I said willingly accept. While I have certainly climbed above crappy bolts, pitons, gear, screws, etc. I didn't do it because I wanted to climb above crappy equipment, I wanted to climb the route and the risk I felt of falling was less than the risk I felt of the gear failing. If I had a rusty 1/4" bolt next to a bomber glue in I don't have to accept the crappy bolt. If there is only the crappy bolt my choices are to back off (which is not always easy or safer), just solo the route, or clip the bolt. I don't believe that a lack of desireable choices means we willingly accept the best option currently available. If someone robs you at gunpoint and they tell you to hand over your wallet or get shot in the face would you say either choice was willing?

As for the routes you've put up. While you desire that they stay the same you aren't checking up on them or bitching if someone changes them. I don't think all FA's do keep such interest in the routes they put up but I do know some FA's who do keep such interest, if not in all the routes they put up, at least some of them. I don't think a FA who puts up a route and leaves it to the masses is making any sort of possessory claim and therefore bears no responsibility for what happens after them. If on the other hand they do claim some sort of rights to the route then they can't shirk everything that I think goes along with that.

Maybe I am way off base. Maybe no route developers feel any interest in what happens to their routes. People don't bitch if someone adds or removes bolts from a route that isn't there's, and no FA tell people they have permission to add or remove bolts from a route.

I see what you are getting at, but I still think that many of us willingly accept that a bolt may fail. I'm thinking of a route I climbed about 2 weeks ago in j-tree. I could see from the ground that the bolt protecting the crux was a rusty 1/4"er on a rusty home made hanger. The bolt was probably 30 feet up the face and the last piece of pro prior to the bolt was 20 feet below it (you would certainly deck if you fell and broke the bolt). There was nobody forcing me to do the route at gunpoint and I had the option of climbing a different route with better protection 10 feet in either direction. I chose to climb the route knowing full well that if I fell at the crux I would most likely deck from 35 feet.

Maybe others don't think about the possibility of bolts failing, but I personally accept it as a risk inherent in climbing. Like I mentioned, if I don't have two bolts keeping me off the ground I try not to fall if at all possible and If I do fall I willingly accept that I may deck. I have never broken a bolt or even seen one broken in a fall, but it is in the back of my mind that it could happen and I plan accordingly.

Oh, one more thing, I have clipped an old rusty 1/4"er that was right next to a bomber modern 1/2" bolt (without clipping the 1/2"er) just for the fun of it.Wink

kennoyce

Jan 3, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #170 of 285 (15477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:

I just wanted to comment on this as well. Personally I don't think the FA has any rights on the climb that they put up after it has been climbed by others. I think that bolts should be added or removed only when it is agreed upon by both the FA and the community. Over on MP there has been a thread about Double Cross at J-tree where the FA was okay with adding a bolt to the slab section at the start. Even though he is okay with it I don't think he has any say any more since the climb has been done by thousands of others sans bolt.

I don't think the right to fix draws or cut rings is exclusively the right of the FA, but I believe that any member of the climbing community has this right as long as there is consensus within the community. Really the only right of the FA is to dictate where the bolts are initially placed, and to name the route. I don't think that that makes them any kind of owner.

I think a lot of people say that we need to respect the FA's choice of bolt locations when what we are really trying to say is that in order to maintain route diversity we shouldn't change routes that have already been established in one form or another. Like I said, once a route has been climbed by people other than the FA, it should remain in that state to preserve the experience for future climbers. This is of course just my opinion, but I think it should be the ethic. I know I don't want any classic climb to have bolts added, even if they're added by the FA, because that will change the mood of the route.

MS1

Jan 3, 2011, 9:32 PM
Post #171 of 285 (15461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Two things:

GO

The law varies from state to state, but in most states this sounds like a viable claim as a matter of formal law. Under the most common version of the comparative negligence rule, the question would be whether clipping those bolts as they appeared from a climber's perspective was more negligent than placing them in their bad condition, having been advised that the bolts and the rock were unsound. People generally view climbing as crazy, so that is an obstacle for your plaintiffs, but I don't think the claim would be worthless; the plaintiff could probably obtain a reasonable settlement.

As I said above, the real reason you don't see these claims has nothing to do with the legal rules, but instead it is because most route developers don't have enough money to be worth suing.

And I also agree that courts are not the best place to handle problems like this.

climb4free

Jan 3, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #172 of 285 (15449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Why can't sport climber clean up after their climb ?

tell me, what is the logic behind leaving your sh*t hanging on the wall when you could easily clip and move on ?

Does two second time to clip in slows them down or uses a lot of their energy ?

bunch of pus*ies with skinny harness and skinny 6.9mm rope who can't even carry six QDs on their harnesses.

Where's the Facebook "Like" button?

And I climb primarily sport routes.

dynosore

Jan 3, 2011, 9:49 PM
Post #173 of 285 (15437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:

It's not total control over the route but FA's maintain some minor control over that patch of rock that they climbed first. They can't sell it or anything but they have the right to make certain changes to it that others are excluded from making. These conventions of allowing certain rights, abilities, or honors, that aren't available to others is the basis of property rights. While climbing routes eventually fall under the umbrella of real property ownership be it public or private land those rights given to the FA's by the climbing community are a sort of possessory interest. So if you regard any FA as having rights to make changes (minor as they may be) then you're de facto allowing a possessory interest.

Wrong. The FA has no control over who climbs their route, they aren't going to "occupy" it, and they don't have a valid claim of ownership. The situation does not meet the definition of "possessory ownership" in any regards. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than pretend you know what you're talking about.

majid_sabet

Jan 3, 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #174 of 285 (15423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
jmeizis wrote:

It's not total control over the route but FA's maintain some minor control over that patch of rock that they climbed first. They can't sell it or anything but they have the right to make certain changes to it that others are excluded from making. These conventions of allowing certain rights, abilities, or honors, that aren't available to others is the basis of property rights. While climbing routes eventually fall under the umbrella of real property ownership be it public or private land those rights given to the FA's by the climbing community are a sort of possessory interest. So if you regard any FA as having rights to make changes (minor as they may be) then you're de facto allowing a possessory interest.

Wrong. The FA has no control over who climbs their route, they aren't going to "occupy" it, and they don't have a valid claim of ownership. The situation does not meet the definition of "possessory ownership" in any regards. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than pretend you know what you're talking about.

Does FA has a responsibility over what they place on the wall ? ie, installing questionable rap anchors or low grades (one time use) bolt ?

Partner cracklover

Jan 3, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #175 of 285 (15412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Draw Thief Caught [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Two things:

GO

The law varies from state to state, but in most states this sounds like a viable claim as a matter of formal law. Under the most common version of the comparative negligence rule, the question would be whether clipping those bolts as they appeared from a climber's perspective was more negligent than placing them in their bad condition, having been advised that the bolts and the rock were unsound. People generally view climbing as crazy, so that is an obstacle for your plaintiffs, but I don't think the claim would be worthless; the plaintiff could probably obtain a reasonable settlement.

As I said above, the real reason you don't see these claims has nothing to do with the legal rules, but instead it is because most route developers don't have enough money to be worth suing.

And I also agree that courts are not the best place to handle problems like this.

Well in the situation I'm referring to, I don't believe the climbers in question had any sure reason to know that the bolts were poor. They were good quality bolts and hangers, just not appropriate for the rock, and possibly poorly placed (may have been too wide a hole for the bolt). However, two things that *would* make the jury put some blame back on them are the facts that they were 1 - off route, and 2 - their ability was not up the the route they were on.

GO

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook