Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dynosore

Jan 5, 2011, 5:45 AM
Post #51 of 92 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mal7623] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've been to all 50 states and climbed in many, and I'm moving to the front range. Good weather year round and a huge variety of climbing at your doorstep. Low crime, reasonable cost of living, and a good job market.

Lol at some of these replies. 90 and humid does not make for good climbing. And Boston? Seriously? You can spend four hours driving round trip to a crowded singl pitch crag, I'll drive 10 minutes to a multipitch paradise.

phang_nga

Jan 5, 2011, 6:01 AM
Post #52 of 92 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Lol at some of these replies. 90 and humid does not make for good climbing.

It's easy to get used to. If you looked at the links in my previous post, the humidity here isn't any different than there. In fact, I'd say overall it's more comfortable here than many places in the US in the middle of the summer due to the higher humidity there. I wonder how many who are preaching about the weather here have actually been here?

There are tons of other reasons to live and climb here besides the weather.

Furthermore, if this wasn't a climbing paradise, why do so many people from the US and Europe flock to my turf to climb?

I'll take a bit of sweat over being cold any day.

A-Bowl

Jan 5, 2011, 6:06 AM
Post #53 of 92 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [david7896] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arkansas...? doesn't really rank in top climbing areas to live. I grew up in the state and although it's a great place to learn, the season is just too short. Im here now and these low temps hi humidity give me the screamin barfies. Real limited to boulder sessions right now once every 10 days. Ice is next to none. Any one of the the cities listed (exception being boston) you could quite possibly climb nearby tomorrow. And forget about climbing in the summer here... yes possible, but balmy and real limiting (not fun... poison ivy, chiggers, rednecks). Harrison does have a great location within the state but you need to check other places out. Arkansas' entire guide book is the size of many states' single areas. Just saying so people aren't mislead into a move to Harrison (doubt they would anyway). Arkansas is a good place to visit in season (spring/fall) and has some pretty untapped although short (height) potential.

Im hearing this Vegas vote pretty strong even though i would never live there. Town is just too heartbreaking and the fungus is growing into Red Rocks. Location and year round climbing argument is there.

Glad that there isnt but at the same time I wish there was another large city other than Reno close to the Sierra East side. I'd live there.

marc801

Jan 5, 2011, 6:34 AM
Post #54 of 92 (3606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

david7896 wrote:
Harrison Arkansas. Its a small town town (population 12,000)

Didn't the OP say he was looking for a city?

david7896 wrote:
... and has low taxes plenty of jobs and low cost of living.
Exactly what is the job market like in Harrison? What kind of jobs? Of the "plenty of jobs", what percentage pay over $65K / year? $35K? 20K?

rtwilli4

Jan 5, 2011, 2:34 PM
Post #55 of 92 (3586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone can list pros and cons for any city.

Chattanooga, Boone, Charlotte, Vegas, Moab, Tucson, SLC, Denver...

I could go on forever. There are plenty of places that are good to live for climbing, but only if you like living there. I had a dream job and was smack dab in the middle of some amazing climbing in a country with perfect weather. I lived LITERALLY 5 minutes from my home crag and not more than 20 minutes walking to many small areas. Take an hour boat ride to the next beach or island and there are hundreds of routes with same easy access.

I moved... because I was tired of living there. The climbing was nice but the ideals and values of the place just didn't fit.

It's ridiculous to move to an area just because of the climbing. Do you really want to live in Vegas? I mean come on... how many climbers do you know who's dream it is to move to Vegas? None, because it's a shit hole. Who cares if you can climb year round with easy access. Even if you climb 5 days a week you're still spending the majority of your time in that God Forsaken city.

I've been spending time in Raleigh, where I went to school, and have grown to realize that while it's two hours from climbing, it's still where I'd want to live. A great small community of climbers who are climbing hard trad but still want to have good jobs and live in a nice safe city where their families can go out at night. Good economy, bla bla bla... It's a great place to be... and I'm just starting to realize how much I love the climbing in this state!

Move to an area that you love to live and you will fall in love with the climbing there too.

acorneau

Jan 5, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #56 of 92 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

david7896 wrote:
Harrison Arkansas.

My parents live about 20 minutes south of Harrison. We usually hit up HCR when we're up there in the Spring.

In reply to:
Horseshoe Canyon is one of the best crags in arkansas. I have heard from other climbers that its close to being the best in the country.

HCR is a great crag but it's not even close to being "best in the country" material. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but there are other places so much better.

david7896

Jan 5, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #57 of 92 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hcr is great. i have only heard that it was one the best. this was just an opinion.

dynosore

Jan 5, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #58 of 92 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
dynosore wrote:
Lol at some of these replies. 90 and humid does not make for good climbing.

It's easy to get used to. If you looked at the links in my previous post, the humidity here isn't any different than there. In fact, I'd say overall it's more comfortable here than many places in the US in the middle of the summer due to the higher humidity there. I wonder how many who are preaching about the weather here have actually been here?

There are tons of other reasons to live and climb here besides the weather.

Furthermore, if this wasn't a climbing paradise, why do so many people from the US and Europe flock to my turf to climb?

I'll take a bit of sweat over being cold any day.

No, 90 and humid is NOT easy to get used to. I'll take a little cold weather over monotonous steam bath any day. People flock there because it's cheap. There's no way I would ever move my family there. To each there own, but I don't think you're going to convince anyone.

justroberto

Jan 5, 2011, 4:10 PM
Post #59 of 92 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
...Grand Junction...
I thought it would be a cool place to live - until I visited there. If I ever develop a crippling crystal meth addiction, though, Grand Junction will be tops on my list.

Gmburns2000

Jan 5, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #60 of 92 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Anyone can list pros and cons for any city.

Chattanooga, Boone, Charlotte, Vegas, Moab, Tucson, SLC, Denver...

I could go on forever. There are plenty of places that are good to live for climbing, but only if you like living there. I had a dream job and was smack dab in the middle of some amazing climbing in a country with perfect weather. I lived LITERALLY 5 minutes from my home crag and not more than 20 minutes walking to many small areas. Take an hour boat ride to the next beach or island and there are hundreds of routes with same easy access.

I moved... because I was tired of living there. The climbing was nice but the ideals and values of the place just didn't fit.

It's ridiculous to move to an area just because of the climbing. Do you really want to live in Vegas? I mean come on... how many climbers do you know who's dream it is to move to Vegas? None, because it's a shit hole. Who cares if you can climb year round with easy access. Even if you climb 5 days a week you're still spending the majority of your time in that God Forsaken city.

I've been spending time in Raleigh, where I went to school, and have grown to realize that while it's two hours from climbing, it's still where I'd want to live. A great small community of climbers who are climbing hard trad but still want to have good jobs and live in a nice safe city where their families can go out at night. Good economy, bla bla bla... It's a great place to be... and I'm just starting to realize how much I love the climbing in this state!

Move to an area that you love to live and you will fall in love with the climbing there too.

+1

well said, and better said than me, which is kind of what I was trying to say with Boston.

airbender

Jan 5, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #61 of 92 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chattanooga Tn is an amazing place to live for climbing or anything else. A few world class areas you can hit after work and a 10 lifetimes of amazing climbing locals keep to themselves. I now live in Santa Barbara CA where winter days are usually 60 degrees and summer days hardly makes it over 80. You can surf when its good and climb when it's flat. Almost right in the middle of Jtree and Yosemite. Amazing culture and LA is just an hour away.

rangerrob

Jan 5, 2011, 6:07 PM
Post #62 of 92 (3514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airbender] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is there a single pitch of ice anywhere in Thailand, at any time? If the answer is no, ( and I know it is), then you'd never see me moving there. Let's face it boys and girls...rock climbing is just a way of passing time until the REAL climbing season begins!

RR

vegastradguy

Jan 5, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #63 of 92 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

It's ridiculous to move to an area just because of the climbing. Do you really want to live in Vegas? I mean come on... how many climbers do you know who's dream it is to move to Vegas? None, because it's a shit hole. Who cares if you can climb year round with easy access. Even if you climb 5 days a week you're still spending the majority of your time in that God Forsaken city. .

I'll take offense to this, my man- las vegas is my home, has been for 25 years, and i love it, as do many of my close friends and climbing partners. most tourists dont get it, and im fine with that, but dont slander my home town just because you didnt like it. some of us actually do enjoy it- more than a few are from your part of the country.

i'll second your point, but making las vegas out to be a shit hole was in poor taste at best. perhaps letting each person decide for themselves where to live and leaving it at that would have been enough?

airbender

Jan 5, 2011, 9:49 PM
Post #64 of 92 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

It's ridiculous to move to an area just because of the climbing. Do you really want to live in Vegas? I mean come on... how many climbers do you know who's dream it is to move to Vegas? None, because it's a shit hole. Who cares if you can climb year round with easy access. Even if you climb 5 days a week you're still spending the majority of your time in that God Forsaken city. .

I'll take offense to this, my man- las vegas is my home, has been for 25 years, and i love it, as do many of my close friends and climbing partners. most tourists dont get it, and im fine with that, but dont slander my home town just because you didnt like it. some of us actually do enjoy it- more than a few are from your part of the country.

i'll second your point, but making las vegas out to be a shit hole was in poor taste at best. perhaps letting each person decide for themselves where to live and leaving it at that would have been enough?

Each person does decide where to live he's not forcing anyone to live somewhere. The thread was started about someones opinion on great climbing towns to live in, which is what was said. I have to agree Vegas is a nasty town you can like it all you want but that doesn't change what it is.

roninthorne

Jan 5, 2011, 9:59 PM
Post #65 of 92 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Petersburg, WV...

... cuz damned near NO ONE has any idea of what it is you are doing when you carry your rack and gear out to the truck.

"Look, sugah.... some uh themthar sport rap'lers!"

mal7623

Jan 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #66 of 92 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airbender] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think what vegastrad guy means to say is that it is in poor taste to call someone's home a "shit hole". That isn't expressing an opinion, it's just immature.

I have to say it's tough to call a place with 38 million annual visitors and 2 million residents such a horrible place. It is the vacation capital of the US by a fucking landslide. For more reasons than gambling.

rtwilli4

Jan 5, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #67 of 92 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't need to say "shit hole" and didn't even realize that's what I wrote 'til I went back to read it... sorry.

I don't think there is anything wrong with stating my opinion though... that's what the OP asked for. My opinion is that if you will settle for living somewhere that you may not like just so that you can climb then you will eventually be unhappy.

He asked if anyone can make an argument against it. Sure:

-Vegas is a giant sprawling city in the middle of the desert
-The city ranks very low in terms of sustainability... basically they bring in water and electric from hundreds of miles away and use it for light shows, golf courses and water fountains
-There is a huge homeless population there
-Crime is high
-Poor public transportation
-Constant Construction

I could go on but I don't think it would really apply to the OP. Maybe he/or she can even get around most of the problems that I listed but then aren't you just adding to the problem by ignoring it?

The city is a perfect example of what happens when humans entertain dreams of growth and progress without thinking about the after effects. When the economy really tanks (and it will) Vegas will be one of the first cities in the country to fail.

In terms of climbing alone I can think of better places to live... add in all of the aggravating factors that I listed above and Vegas doesn't even show up on a list of places I'd think about.

rangerrob

Jan 7, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #68 of 92 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make a large negatives list about any city. Vegastradguy is right, you're a douche. As far as sheer volume of climbing goes, vegas is undeniably hard to beat. Red Rocks and Zion alone make it better than most every other suggestion I have seen. Thailand? Gimme a break. Access to a huge expanse of alpine granite in the Sierra, desert crack and aid climbing. Long routes in Red Rocks, convenient single pitch cragging in J-Tree. The only thing Vegas lacks in terms of climbing is convenient access to dependable and quality ice climbing, which is why I would never move there.

RR

rtwilli4

Jan 7, 2011, 2:02 AM
Post #69 of 92 (3387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK. I'm a douche.

I never told anyone to move to Thailand and never compared the climbing there to anything in the US. That would be stupid.

Don't get all pissy just because every one else in the world isn't jealous of where you live. That's what Boulder people do.

I'm not the only one who would rather live in other places... climber or not. In fact most of the people I know who live in Vegas don't even like it there.

To each their own. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating my opinion. Talk shit about my city and I'll tell you that I think you're wrong but I won't get all bitchy and I certainly won't try and convince you to move here!

vegastradguy

Jan 7, 2011, 3:28 AM
Post #70 of 92 (3373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the record, i didnt call anyone a douche, i only called rtwilli out on insulting my home, which he apologized for. case closed, imho.

caughtinside

Jan 7, 2011, 3:57 AM
Post #71 of 92 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
is there a single pitch of ice anywhere in Thailand, at any time? If the answer is no, ( and I know it is), then you'd never see me moving there. Let's face it boys and girls...rock climbing is just a way of passing time until the REAL climbing season begins!

RR

mleogrande

Jan 7, 2011, 4:31 AM
Post #72 of 92 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Florida. However, I've been to Chattanooga twice in 2010. There is lots of climbing within 30 minutes of downtown Chattanooga, including sport, trad, and bouldering. Also, you got Red River Gorge and New River Gorge which are not too far for nice weekend climbing. Horse Pens 40 for bouldering in Alabama and Rock Town in Georgia are all really close. Urban Rocks Gym is very nice and will keep you busy during cold months.

I'm not sure of the job market there, but I do know cost is living is very low.

BoulderEric

Jan 7, 2011, 4:46 AM
Post #73 of 92 (3346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mleogrande] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in Colorado Springs. So I was close to the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Canyon, Turkey Rock, and Cheyenne Canyon. Now I go to school in Boulder, and I'm a 10 minute walk from Chautauqua and the Flatirons, and I'm a short drive to Eldora Canyon. I can't complain about that at all. Short day trip to Moab, as well

altelis

Jan 7, 2011, 5:13 AM
Post #74 of 92 (3339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BoulderEric] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BoulderEric wrote:
I grew up in Colorado Springs. So I was close to the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Canyon, Turkey Rock, and Cheyenne Canyon. Now I go to school in Boulder, and I'm a 10 minute walk from Chautauqua and the Flatirons, and I'm a short drive to Eldora Canyon. I can't complain about that at all. Short day trip to Moab, as well

You and I have very different definitions of "short day trip"

marc801

Jan 7, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #75 of 92 (3334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BoulderEric] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BoulderEric wrote:
Short day trip to Moab, as well
Only if you consider 4+ hrs one way a "short day trip".
Actually, google maps says about 6 hrs. I have a friend in LIttleton who says 5 hrs to Moab.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Jan 7, 2011, 5:23 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook