Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

chadnsc

Jan 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #51 of 92 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Ah, don't be too technical now . . . . you don't pay sales tax, get free health and child care, money for your wee one, free rent and food . . . .

Dang I have to move to Canada! Smile

This is incorrect. In fact, its generally higher than U.S. sales tax.

Wrong. See I was talking to Kartessa, not you. Kartessa does not pay sales tax in her home that is Canada.

Thanks for playing but don’t give up, you could still win "Reading Comprehension 2011". Tongue J/K

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2011, 1:00 AM
Post #52 of 92 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
enigma wrote:

1 Climbing closer
2. Preparing Food that is good in advance for camping
3. Sharing gas / and car when I can
4. Opting for places I really want to climb, and making sure the weather is good at least for a few days in row.

You don't do these things when there isn't a reccesion??
That is the exact questionI asked myself as soon as I read that as well...

I suppose the only one I have ever thought about is #1, because gas had gotten even more expensive. But, that didn't have anything to do with a recession, and I didn't solve it by not traveling as far, but rather traveling more often by train. Cool

Trains are mostly out of the question in North America.

I do #2 almost all the time, but my reason is veganism.
No more sharing of your Polish Sausage?

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Jan 20, 2011, 1:01 AM)

cmagee1

Jan 20, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #53 of 92 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
cmagee1 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
once you get past the initial investment ... i think climbing is actually one of the cheaper sports you can do ...

Way way way harder than it sounds. Im a high school student. I dont have 500 bucks to drop on a rope, shoes, harness, quickdraws, webbing, biners, pro, etc...

Im doing a lot of borrowing... And bouldering.

Maybe it's time for a McJob.

I have one. But I have to drive to school, soccer practice, rehearsal, and the gym almost every day. Plus I have a girlfriend. And those are damn spendy. :)

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2011, 1:23 AM
Post #54 of 92 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Now more than ever its harder to climb when the economy is tough.
You might have had to relocate for a job in a new area far from climbing
Or you might be unemployed and money is tight even for a climbing trip with gas prices up.
Not to mention now alot of the camping areas are charging more for a campsite.
So what are the solutions during these times?

Some for me :
1 Climbing closer
2. Preparing Food that is good in advance for camping
3. Sharing gas / and car when I can
4. Opting for places I really want to climb, and making sure the weather is good at least for a few days in row.

What are your solutions for Climbing in Hard Economic Times?
The recession is over actually.

While Canada was in recession and I did in fact lose my job at an automotive manufacturing plant the only change we had to make was driving to a good climbing destination instead of flying somewhere.

The big problem is that most people don't know how to manage their money and live in debt. They are barely getting by and if their salary gets cut or they have to live on Unemployment they don't know how to deal with is and their debt overwhelms them.

And yes, I was laid off my my job in the manufacturing field during the recession. We bought a new car with my severance and even put in a little extra for our house payments.

dugl33

Jan 20, 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #55 of 92 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Ah, don't be too technical now . . . . you don't pay sales tax, get free health and child care, money for your wee one, free rent and food . . . .

Wrong. See I was talking to Kartessa, not you. Kartessa does not pay sales tax in her home that is Canada.

Thanks for playing but don’t give up, you could still win "Reading Comprehension 2011". Tongue J/K

I don't know what makes you think there is no sales tax in Canada, and yes, I understand Kartessa lives in the great white north, eh.

Its been a while, but having spent about 4 months in Canada, I remember sales tax (although technically a non-Canadian could apply to receive a refund of said tax or be exempt for items shipped outside of Canada.)

For your reference, edification, and dare I say, your reading comprehension 2012 training regimen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ales_taxes_in_Canada

and from the MEC website...

Taxes

If an order is shipped to the following provinces or territories, MEC must collect the applicable taxes as described:

* British Columbia (BC) – 12% HST on merchandise and freight
* Alberta (AB) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Saskatchewan (SK) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Manitoba (MB) – 7% PST on merchandise plus 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Ontario (ON) – 13% HST on merchandise and freight
* Quebec (QC) – 8.5% PST on the total of the merchandise and freight plus 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* New Brunswick (NB) – 13% HST on merchandise and freight
* Nova Scotia (NS) – 15% HST on merchandise and freight
* Prince Edward Island (PE) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Newfoundland (NL) – 13% HST on merchandise and freight
* Northwest Territories (NT) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Yukon (YT) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight
* Nunavut (NU) – 5% GST on merchandise and freight

Tongue

guangzhou

Jan 20, 2011, 2:32 AM
Post #56 of 92 (2968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmagee1] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cmagee1 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
cmagee1 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
once you get past the initial investment ... i think climbing is actually one of the cheaper sports you can do ...

Way way way harder than it sounds. Im a high school student. I dont have 500 bucks to drop on a rope, shoes, harness, quickdraws, webbing, biners, pro, etc...

I have one.{/quote]
A good start, working for living.

In reply to:
But I have to drive to school, soccer practice,
Stay in school, but do you have to play soccer? Or do you choose to?
In reply to:
rehearsal,
Have to of choose to?

In reply to:
and the gym almost every day.
Have to or choose to?
In reply to:
Plus I have a girlfriend. And those are damn spendy. :)

A girlfriend is nice to have, but also a choice. Sounds to me like climbing isn't your priority, it's something you enjoy when you time or feel like it. The list above seems to have many things that distract from climbing that you have chosen to do.

If you really want to climb, you'll find a way. We all make choices and we tend to prioritize what is important to us.

We find time and money to do what we really want, and we make excuse about time and money for things are nice to due but we can live without.

I was just having this conversation with a climbing partner of mine. He was shocked that I just turned down a job that had tripple what my current Salary is with all benefits. He couldn't understand that the extra money was not worth giving up climbing on real rock. (New job is in location with no cliffs) Climbing is more important to me than money, so I make less money and have places to cilmb.

Kartessa

Jan 20, 2011, 2:39 AM
Post #57 of 92 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:

I do #2 almost all the time, but my reason is veganism.

I didn't know vegans did #2 ever, let alone all the time.

Kartessa

Jan 20, 2011, 2:43 AM
Post #58 of 92 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33,

I think you missed the memo, I don't pay taxes, I dont pay rent, don't pay for flights, I have diplomatic immunity, I'm related to the pope and can climb 5.16

But don't worry, I forgive you.

Gmburns2000

Jan 20, 2011, 3:31 AM
Post #59 of 92 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
dugl33,

I think you missed the memo, I don't pay taxes, I dont pay rent, don't pay for flights, I have diplomatic immunity, I'm related to the pope and can climb 5.16

you don't pay rent?

enigma

Jan 20, 2011, 3:36 AM
Post #60 of 92 (2953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
cmagee1 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
cmagee1 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

I have one.{/quote]
A good start, working for living.

In reply to:
But I have to drive to school, soccer practice,
Stay in school, but do you have to play soccer? Or do you choose to?
In reply to:
rehearsal,
Have to of choose to?

In reply to:
and the gym almost every day.
Have to or choose to?
In reply to:
Plus I have a girlfriend. And those are damn spendy. :)

A girlfriend is nice to have, but also a choice. Sounds to me like climbing isn't your priority, it's something you enjoy when you time or feel like it. The list above seems to have many things that distract from climbing that you have chosen to do.

If you really want to climb, you'll find a way. We all make choices and we tend to prioritize what is important to us.

We find time and money to do what we really want, and we make excuse about time and money for things are nice to due but we can live without.

I was just having this conversation with a climbing partner of mine. He was shocked that I just turned down a job that had tripple what my current Salary is with all benefits. He couldn't understand that the extra money was not worth giving up climbing on real rock. (New job is in location with no cliffs) Climbing is more important to me than money, so I make less money and have places to cilmb.

I've heard its very cheap to live in Indonesia. I have also met some PHD students from there in the U.S. that get a free ride for their program here.
Its a pretty sweet deal getting 300,000 dollars for PHD from the U.S graduate schools.
Then going home to Indonesia and living like a king or queen.
A women student I met was going to be making 250k to start after graduation.( In Indonesia.)
She told me she was only going to work 10-15 per week and go in just for meetings. Then be available on the computer for another 10 hrs per week.
She told the school she was going to work for U.S, World Bank when she intends to go back to Indonesia and work for World Bank there.
Quite Clever !

guangzhou

Jan 20, 2011, 4:18 AM
Post #61 of 92 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, but I was offer a bit over 100K to work in the mid-west, not Indonesia.

Even with a PHD, Indonesian don't make 250K, trust me. The average pay for a PHD would be closer to 800 USD a month, or about 10 to 12 Thousand USD a year, beofre taxes.

Me, I'm not Indonesian and I work for an American company. I also pay for my life in America.

enigma

Jan 20, 2011, 4:34 AM
Post #62 of 92 (2936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I agree, but I was offer a bit over 100K to work in the mid-west, not Indonesia.

Even with a PHD, Indonesian don't make 250K, trust me. The average pay for a PHD would be closer to 800 USD a month, or about 10 to 12 Thousand USD a year, beofre taxes.

Me, I'm not Indonesian and I work for an American company. I also pay for my life in America.

World Bank is different because its global bank.
She had worked at the bank at a lower position and it was a very well thought out plan.
She realized by getting her education for free , at top private colleges saving 300k, she was able to have everything . When she graduates with PHD,(her knowledge of the U.S and Indonesia economy will make her an instant V.P ). Plus she can live like a queen in a mansion, in Indonesia. Smart women.
She will make 250k, I have a cousin who's wife did something similiar from a different country.

donald949

Jan 20, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #63 of 92 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
dugl33,

you don't pay rent?
She also has a 2yo munchkin and doesn't pay for child care.
He boulders V3+. Can belay with a grigri. cleans the smallest cams and stoppers w/ those litte hands. bootie ftw! He also speaks 3 languages. Stars in his own tv reality show. Banks high 6 figures a year on endorsments. redesigned the empire state building to make it more pleasing on the eye. designed a car to run on water. solved global warming.
next year he has taken on world peace. just on his verbal commitment, the swedes are giving him the noble peace prize.

chadnsc

Jan 21, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #64 of 92 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

I don't know what makes you think there is no sales tax in Canada, and yes, I understand Kartessa lives in the great white north, eh.

Its been a while, but having spent about 4 months in Canada, I remember sales tax (although technically a non-Canadian could apply to receive a refund of said tax or be exempt for items shipped outside of Canada.)

For your reference, edification, and dare I say, your reading comprehension 2012 training regimen...

Taxes

If an order is shipped to the following provinces or territories, MEC must collect the applicable taxes as described:

* Quebec (QC) – 8.5% PST on the total of the merchandise and freight plus 5% GST on merchandise and freight

Tongue

Again you didn't win the reading comprehension game.

What makes me think that Kartessa doesn't pay sales taxes in Canada, well she told me.

Now I know you have internet searches that show the tax rates for various providences and 4 months of cultural immersion you had there ten years ago but I'm still going to go with Kartessa on this one.

I mean Kartessa is a Canadian citizen who's lived there for 24+ years and she told me under Canadian social services if you don't make a certain amount of money you get reimbursed the sales tax you pay by the government.

Now see in the quote you responded to I was talking directly to Kartessa and Kartessa does not pay sales tax in Canada.

dugl33

Jan 21, 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #65 of 92 (2878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:

chadnsc wrote:
I mean Kartessa is a Canadian citizen who's lived there for 24+ years and she told me under Canadian social services if you don't make a certain amount of money you get reimbursed the sales tax you pay by the government.

Now see in the quote you responded to I was talking directly to Kartessa and Kartessa does not pay sales tax in Canada.

So which is it? Wink

granite_grrl

Jan 21, 2011, 2:01 AM
Post #66 of 92 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
dugl33 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Taxes

Tongue

Again you didn't win the reading comprehension game.

What makes me think that Kartessa doesn't pay sales taxes in Canada, well she told me.

Now I know you have internet searches that show the tax rates for various providences and 4 months of cultural immersion you had there ten years ago but I'm still going to go with Kartessa on this one.

You mean the GST rebate? I remember getting it back when I was younger (and poorer) and it was something like $60....for the entire year. Sure, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye but, it's a far cry from not paying sales tax.

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #67 of 92 (2865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
dugl33,

you don't pay rent?
She also has a 2yo munchkin and doesn't pay for child care.
He boulders V3+. Can belay with a grigri. cleans the smallest cams and stoppers w/ those litte hands. bootie ftw! He also speaks 3 languages. Stars in his own tv reality show. Banks high 6 figures a year on endorsments. redesigned the empire state building to make it more pleasing on the eye. designed a car to run on water. solved global warming.
next year he has taken on world peace. just on his verbal commitment, the swedes are giving him the noble peace prize.

her

Wink

Tongue

dynosore

Jan 21, 2011, 2:11 AM
Post #68 of 92 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

World Bank is different because its global bank.
She had worked at the bank at a lower position and it was a very well thought out plan.
She realized by getting her education for free , at top private colleges saving 300k, she was able to have everything . When she graduates with PHD,(her knowledge of the U.S and Indonesia economy will make her an instant V.P ). Plus she can live like a queen in a mansion, in Indonesia. Smart women.
She will make 250k, I have a cousin who's wife did something similiar from a different country.

World Bank economists average less than 150k, and the head economist of the ENTIRE bank made 300k, but your fresh out of grad school friend is going to start at 250k. Right. Maybe 250k rupiahs.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTAR2009/Resources/6223977-1252950831873/AR09_Remuneration.pdf

guangzhou

Jan 21, 2011, 2:35 AM
Post #69 of 92 (2850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to stir the nest.

enigma

Jan 21, 2011, 3:02 AM
Post #70 of 92 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

Well Public Savings Banks Put all their Presidents, V.P's salary and stock on the internet.
It is published , Another friend of mine brother works in Mass. no PHD, He makes 235k.
Additionally alot of V,P get bonus in stock, so they have either options, or private stock that could be worth any where from 100k +
Goldman Sachs in 2008 gave their employee's stock then worth $78 per share, now worth over $180
per share.
This women from Indonesia had worked at World Bank previously so she found out prior to a PHD program the starting salary for her position.
Of course not everyone has such a sweet salary ,
What do you think a starting salary is for an investment banker for World Bank? They have to pay similar salaries regardless of where they work because they speak both languages and act as a conduit for economic currency exchanges.
Nothing is written in stone, but someone who educated in both Indonesian and American banking and has experience with a PHD gets paid that. Especially since she worked there before, she has connections and referrals .

dynosore

Jan 21, 2011, 3:06 AM
Post #71 of 92 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to stir the nest.

My BS meter went off the charts, so I had to investigate. Not trying to stir the nest, but some claims are so obviously ridiculous that they beg to be disproven.

dynosore

Jan 21, 2011, 3:15 AM
Post #72 of 92 (2832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure your friend is skilled and will be highly paid. But someone that just finished grad school is not going to make 40% more than senior people with the same qualifications, and nearly what the leader of the entire org makes. It's simple economics ;)

Partners at KPMG averaged over 400k last year, but a fresh CPA there starts at less than 70k. No one starts at the top.

guangzhou

Jan 21, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #73 of 92 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Climbing In A Recession [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My business partner is a former high ranking banker with Citi bank Indonesia, he just laugh when I mentioned this.

If this friend is VP, give us her name so we can clarify the facts. If she's actually VP, her resume and profile would be easy to find with just her name...

enigma

Jan 21, 2011, 4:18 AM
Post #74 of 92 (2815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
My business partner is a former high ranking banker with Citi bank Indonesia, he just laugh when I mentioned this.

If this friend is VP, give us her name so we can clarify the facts. If she's actually VP, her resume and profile would be easy to find with just her name...

First of all I said she was still in a PHD program, second I don't give personal information of friends or family members.
You can easily search banks, investment banks,savings banks, brokerage companies and see their salaries on the internet.
Or you can start reading the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and various economic papers.
There are often different methods of salaries, bonuses and private stock, and public stock offerings.
In addition there are many magazines with economic information.
Good Luck

moose_droppings

Jan 21, 2011, 5:24 AM
Post #75 of 92 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your shoes should be good and snug but not tight, and they should also match the color of your rope and harness.

Edit: This might be in the wrong thread.

Edit 2: I hope I edited that correctly.

Edit 3: What's good on pancakes?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook