Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gauncey14

Oct 10, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 39 (6866 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by gauncey14
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 39 (6856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gauncey14] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gauncey14 wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering about methods for climbing with people who either can't lead, or aren't comfortable leading/cleaning a route. I'd like to take someone out climbing who I'm afraid will not be comfortable with cleaning the anchors. Is it feasible to simply lead a climb, and then anchor into the anchors up top, and then belay them from there? Then lower them, when they finish the route, and then clean the route yourself?

I hope I'm being clear enough. The main thing I want to be able to do is be efficient while I'm out. Sure, I could lead it for the climber, then let them climb it on top rope, unclipping the rope as they climb up, and then climb it again and clean it. I'm going to try and make the person just learn how to clean the anchors consider it is not hard, but if they're gonna be a sissy about it, what's the best way to handle this apart from me climbing the route twice? If there is a thread with this info already, I'd love just a quick link. I wasn't sure how to search it though

Many thanks,
Michael
If they can't learn the absolute basics of climbing, which includes cleaning anchors, then they should stick to top roping or quit. Any of your other, ahem, "solutions", are just plain ridiculous. (Unless of course she's *really* cute and you have motives beyond climbing!)

TarHeelEMT

Oct 10, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 39 (6850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
If they can't learn the absolute basics of climbing, which includes cleaning anchors, then they should stick to top roping or quit. Any of your other, ahem, "solutions", are just plain ridiculous. (Unless of course she's *really* cute and you have motives beyond climbing!)

Are you kidding?

I do this:
In reply to:
Sure, I could lead it for the climber, then let them climb it on top rope, unclipping the rope as they climb up, and then climb it again and clean it.

almost every time I take people out who have never climbed before.

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 39 (6839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:
Sure, I could lead it for the climber, then let them climb it on top rope, unclipping the rope as they climb up, and then climb it again and clean it.

We disagree then. Every time I take people out who have never climbed before, they get to do all the tasks necessary, including cleaning pro and anchors. That would include cleaning the anchors on a sport route and rethreading for lower (if they demonstrate the proper level of competence).

lena_chita

Oct 10, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 39 (6817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

When you take new climbers out, you throw your notions of efficiency out of the window, and you plan for a mellow day of climbing. Including, yes, the probability of climbing every route twice.

While it is possible to belay hanging from the anchors, it would not really save you much time in a typical single-pitch sport climbing scenario, you'll have a lot of rope to stack up there, and hanging belay is not that comfortable, especially if your climber is going to be struggling. I am not going to go into redirect vs. belay from the anchors here... if you are asking, you shouldn't be doing this.

The other possibility, and very likely one, at a busy sport climbing area with moderate grades (which sounds like your probable destination of choice) would be to tell the next group waiting in line for your group to finish climbing that they are welcome to climb on your draws, as long as they swap the draws for their own on their first go. They will most likely agree to it happily, because it would mean that they will get to climb sooner, and that would solve your problem of climbing the same route twice.

Teaching the other climbers how to do a toprope transfer is indeed not difficult, but, quite honestly, from your question I get a distinct impression that you yourself are a n00b, or you wouldn't be asking this, so maybe you shouldn't be the one taking people out or teaching them...

gauncey14

Oct 10, 2011, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 39 (6793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm still fairly new to climbing outside, but I know how to do everything, just haven't been out yet where I'm the most knowledgeable person. I was just wondering if I was missing something because when I was out this weekend I saw someone following a route, obviously being belayed from the top, but I'm pretty sure it was a single pitch. I didn't really look hard to see what was going on, but I just wanted to see if hanging belay wasn't out of the question I guess. It appears I will just be climbing the route twice. I guess it's not a big deal anyways considering they're gonna be 5.8/9's. Thanks for the input.

lena_chita

Oct 10, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #7 of 39 (6772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't know what you saw, but if a route tops out, or if the pitch is longer than half of the rope length, then belaying from the top is nothing unusual, especially if there is an easy way to walk off after everyone finishes climbing.

I was responding more to your idea of hanging on the anchors of a typical single-pitch sport route to belay. That would be too much hassle, and pretty much everyone I know would opt for climbing the route twice instead of hanging on the anchors.

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 39 (6768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gauncey14 wrote:
It appears I will just be climbing the route twice. I guess it's not a big deal anyways considering they're gonna be 5.8/9's.
Cleaning gear, either on the way up or while being lowered, is simply not that big a deal. If your noob really can't handle this most basic of tasks, you really need to rethink why you're doing this.

As far as cleaning sport anchors, if it's a pair of chains, it's usually pretty easy to rig it so that it's pre-threaded to lower the second, yet the rope is still through your draws while they are climbing (minimizing TR wear on the chains). If you don't know how to do this, again, maybe you shouldn't be the one instructing.

tH1e-swiN1e

Oct 10, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #9 of 39 (6734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cleaning can be really dangerous. You shouldnt just show someone how to do it and then send them up to clean, someone should be watching them up top too. Man up and climb it twice, it'll be good for you.

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #10 of 39 (6712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
Cleaning can be really dangerous. You shouldnt just show someone how to do it and then send them up to clean, someone should be watching them up top too.
I agree. There are ways to teach it so that when they're cleaning an anchor for real, it's not the first or even the second time they are doing it.

One of the local cliffs here that has a number of 5.easy sport routes also has a pair of bolts about 7' above the ground, expressly for teaching the technique.

ladyscarlett

Oct 10, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 39 (6712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
Cleaning can be really dangerous. You shouldnt just show someone how to do it and then send them up to clean, someone should be watching them up top too.

Could you go into a little more detail? Having gone through this exact process many times, I don't quite see how cleaning can be 'really' dangerous given that the second is essentially on top rope...

Cheers

LS

csproul

Oct 10, 2011, 6:54 PM
Post #12 of 39 (6703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

Could you go into a little more detail? Having gone through this exact process many times, I don't quite see how cleaning can be 'really' dangerous given that the second is essentially on top rope...

Cheers

LS
Cleaning the anchors.

ladyscarlett

Oct 10, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #13 of 39 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah right....

Battling sickness and my brain is working slower than usual.

Also, the idea of doing more than single pitch/TR with a total n00b didn't quite register cause I'm not good enough to even consider it...

Cheers

ls

markc

Oct 10, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #14 of 39 (6665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
When you take new climbers out, you throw your notions of efficiency out of the window, and you plan for a mellow day of climbing. Including, yes, the probability of climbing every route twice.

I agree with this. If I'm taking someone new, or even just new to the outdoors, I'm expecting them to take a while, struggle with finding holds and general route-finding, etc. I'm going to be climbing routes that are easy for me to make sure they're not flailing from the start. If I get to climb each route twice, I'll consider it welcome.

That's also a situation where I find a slingshot belay more comfortable than belaying from the top. This person may need some coaching, time to recover on the route, etc. That sounds less than ideal for belaying from above.

For a really new climber, I'd prefer to have another experienced climber along. One experienced person can lead and rig a toprope, the middle person can climb, and the third can either pull rope and lead or just TR. This has the added benefit of keeping an experienced person with the new belayer.

bearbreeder

Oct 10, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #15 of 39 (6654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just climb it twice ... if its that easy it allows you to get more climbing in anyways

plus you impress that cute gurl (she is a cute gurl right or why else would ya do it Wink ) with yr stamina

Partner cracklover

Oct 10, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #16 of 39 (6626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

We disagree then. Every time I take people out who have never climbed before, they get to do all the tasks necessary, including cleaning pro and anchors. That would include cleaning the anchors on a sport route and rethreading for lower (if they demonstrate the proper level of competence).

Hmmm...

It seems to me that properly and safely teaching someone to clean the anchors on a sport route (I don't know why we're all assuming that it is a sport route, since the OP didn't say so, but let's assume that is what he meant) will eat up as much if not more of your day as just cleaning the route yourself.

So let the "guide for the day" decide which he'd rather do.

If I were in the OP's position, I would make that choice based on what I saw from the n00b. It would be pretty clear, pretty quickly, if the n00b was excited to learn everything possible, and was hooked on climbing. In that case, I would take the time to teach her to clean and lower. If the n00b was just having fun and being kind of a child about it, just wanting to be entertained, I'd quickly clean the routes myself. And if the n00b seemed like she was just not that into climbing, again, I'd just clean the routes myself.

But the OP is not me. The OP sounds like he's a n00b himself. In his case, the OP should be cleaning the routes. I really don't like the idea of someone who's only just barely learned a technique himself trying to coach an even n00bier person through a somewhat tricky process that can go very wrong very fast.

Cheers,

GO

chadnsc

Oct 10, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #17 of 39 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

So you have these people who have never climbed before belay you then as well; or do you have another person there to give you a belay?

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #18 of 39 (6605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

So you have these people who have never climbed before belay you then as well; or do you have another person there to give you a belay?
It depends... and I didn't want to get into every possible use case.

However, with absolute first timers and no other experienced people, I always climb with the mental attitude that I am soloing the route.

marc801

Oct 10, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #19 of 39 (6596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Hmmm...

It seems to me that properly and safely teaching someone to clean the anchors on a sport route (I don't know why we're all assuming that it is a sport route, since the OP didn't say so, but let's assume that is what he meant) will eat up as much if not more of your day as just cleaning the route yourself.
Agree 100%. The idea wasn't to save time, esp my time, but to ensure as much as possible that the beginner is exposed to and gets to do everything that might be expected of them if they present themselves as climber the next time at the gym or crag.

cracklover wrote:
So let the "guide for the day" decide which he'd rather do.
Yep. It's just perhaps a little bit of a disservice if the GftD is ostensibly teaching the beginner and then doesn't actually teach the basics necessary.

cracklover wrote:
If I were in the OP's position, I would make that choice based on what I saw from the n00b. It would be pretty clear, pretty quickly, if the n00b was excited to learn everything possible, and was hooked on climbing. In that case, I would take the time to teach her to clean and lower. If the n00b was just having fun and being kind of a child about it, just wanting to be entertained, I'd quickly clean the routes myself. And if the n00b seemed like she was just not that into climbing, again, I'd just clean the routes myself.

But the OP is not me. The OP sounds like he's a n00b himself. In his case, the OP should be cleaning the routes. I really don't like the idea of someone who's only just barely learned a technique himself trying to coach an even n00bier person through a somewhat tricky process that can go very wrong very fast.
Oh, totally. Especially that last sentence. I'm not at all comfortable that the newbie guide-wannabe realizes the responsibility he is taking on teaching someone else who knows even less than he.

chadnsc

Oct 10, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #20 of 39 (6582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

However, with absolute first timers and no other experienced people, I always climb with the mental attitude that I am soloing the route.

Mental attitude?

Why not actually solo the climb then and simply bring a tag line to belay up your newer climber?

socalclimber

Oct 10, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #21 of 39 (6543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the concept that you're soloing, but the real question is are you prepared to do that?

The first thing you have to realize is that once YOU leave the ground, you have little to no control over what they do.

Turn this into a day of top roping and forget about leading anything with this person. Since you have to ask these questions online, you are really putting your neck on the block and are not prepared or experienced enough to take these risks, much less asses them.

Keep it simple, straight forward and something you can manage with ease. Pick easy routes in the beginning and then maybe later on in the day up the ante. Even on top rope, you have to rely on their belay.

Do you really want to take those kind of chances?

johnwesely

Oct 10, 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #22 of 39 (6525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just another case of the overconfident noob and the underconfident nooblet.

Kartessa

Oct 11, 2011, 2:54 AM
Post #23 of 39 (6480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

Mental attitude?

Why not actually solo the climb then and simply bring a tag line to belay up your newer climber?

I thought that's why you bring the grigri?

TarHeelEMT

Oct 11, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #24 of 39 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
marc801 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
I do this:
In reply to:

Mental attitude?

I thought that's why you bring the grigri?

The first time my girlfriend lowered me on a grigri was one of my scariest moments in climbing.

Rmsyll2

Oct 11, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #25 of 39 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Climbing with Noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

'johnwesely' wrote: "Just another case of the overconfident noob and the underconfident nooblet."

I see or hear of such situations commonly, and the word "cruel" comes to my mind. The word "teaching" doesn't.

Two options missing so far: the lead unclips or cleans the pro on the way down, meaning the second can just climb, and the lead can lead again for less boredom and more practice. Doing laps is a basic training tactic for anyone at any level. Also, I know of no easy climbs that cannot be made harder for more interest.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook