Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Oct 19, 2011, 8:56 PM
Post #26 of 69 (4255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
So then there is no way to backup an ATC belayer without a third, correct?

There is no compelling reason for her to switch from a Grigri 2 to an ATC when you start lead climbing. Given your weight difference, the Grigri 2 is probably a good choice for her, because it will help her lower you.

What she should do is practice the technique of feeding rope through the Grigri 2 until she is proficient at it, and she shouldn't actually lead belay anybody until she is. Watch the Petzl video, and practice. It takes some finesse that you can only develop with practice to feed rope smoothly.

As others have said, with your weight difference, she must be anchored to belay you on lead.

Jay

ACJ

Oct 19, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #27 of 69 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds rad that you and your girlfriend are out climbing together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are toproping just fine with her on a grigri2 but are concerned with her hanging on when catching a lead fall? This concern comes from expecting the grigri to be a pain to lead belay with so you are switching to an ATC. Assuming that's all correct here are my thoughts.

1. Don't mess with the prussik. Yes AMGA uses that in certain situations, I am guessing that your guide might have showed it to you in one way and not meant it to be used in others. If you have a 3rd, then just have them hold the rope and you should be sufficient.

2. The best way to backup a single belayer using an ATC is to teach them solid belay technique and then PRACTICE on toprope. In other words. Go out and build a toprope setup on something steep. Then, have your girlfriend belay with a standard ATC and a friend who is solid to back her up by holding the rope as well as watch and critique her after the climb is done (not during, too distracting). If her belay technique is solid then move on to the next step. Throw a small amount of slack into the toprope line and take a fake lead fall. Again, your buddy is backing her up and she will get the sensation of being lifted off the ground while holding the break with a standard ATC. If she is solid then go for a bit bigger fall. It's important to make sure the slack is on her side, not yours, this ensures that you don't snag your leg on the loop below. Also, make sure you don't get rope burn from the other strand going up while you come down!

Most likely your girlfriend doesn't want to drop you and will be holding strong. That being said, the first time a belayer sees someone falling towards them is the real make or break moment. Everyone reacts differently.

I have been belayed by the tiniest of girls who gripped that rope like nobodies business. The worst however was a friend who was outdoorsy and a climber. Here's how it played out... She had never caught a lead fall before and I was on a route that was too much for me. Back in my noob days :)

Me: I'm going to fall, you ready?
Her: Yeah I got you.
Me: You're holding the break down?
Her: Yep, solid, go for it!
Me: Okay on three... 3, 2, 1
My Body: This is weird I just bounced my skull off the ground... glad I had my helmet on!
Me: You owe me dinner.
Her: OMG I'M SO SORRY ARE YOU OKAY!?!?

What happened? Well a falling object is scary. Psychologically we are programmed to dive out of the way, so she did just that, dropped the rope and dove!

So yeah, practice toprope falls on an ATC. Then practice fake toprope/lead falls on an ATC. Then when you go for the real thing, make sure she is backed up by a friend for the big final test!

Also.... I would recommend trying this out:
Set up a toprope with you climbing and a friend belaying. Clip in to a second rope that you will "mock" lead on. Have her belay with the grigri2 while you mock lead on toprope. This gives her a chance to get dialed with how to use the device on lead. Make sure she's doing it correct! A bad/incorrect lead belay on a grigri (where she is consistently holding it in break position to feed rope) is dangerous and needs to be addressed right away to prevent bad habits!

So there ya go, two ways to break into the lead belay with an ATC or grigri2. Have fun!

tolman_paul

Oct 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #28 of 69 (4204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Just keep it simple, I've always found that keeping things simple and performing them flawlessly are the best way to do things when climbing, complicating things that should be simple often times leads to failures, rather than making things simpler.

I'm double the weight of my wife, we've been climbing together for 18 years. The only device she's used to belay me as been an atc. We've top roped, and done multi pitch trad routes.

Teach her how to belay properly, and stay on easier routes until you are comfortable that she has belaying down pat (that goes for anyone that is new to belaying). Definately anchor her in!

Now if the real issue is that she says she's not comfortable belaying you, then give serious consideration to bringing an experienced climber to belay you.

olderic

Oct 20, 2011, 2:30 AM
Post #29 of 69 (4181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACJ] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ACJ wrote:
Sounds rad that you and your girlfriend are out climbing together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are toproping just fine with her on a grigri2 but are concerned with her hanging on when catching a lead fall? This concern comes from expecting the grigri to be a pain to lead belay with so you are switching to an ATC. Assuming that's all correct here are my thoughts.

1. Don't mess with the prussik. Yes AMGA uses that in certain situations, I am guessing that your guide might have showed it to you in one way and not meant it to be used in others. If you have a 3rd, then just have them hold the rope and you should be sufficient.

2. The best way to backup a single belayer using an ATC is to teach them solid belay technique and then PRACTICE on toprope. In other words. Go out and build a toprope setup on something steep. Then, have your girlfriend belay with a standard ATC and a friend who is solid to back her up by holding the rope as well as watch and critique her after the climb is done (not during, too distracting). If her belay technique is solid then move on to the next step. Throw a small amount of slack into the toprope line and take a fake lead fall. Again, your buddy is backing her up and she will get the sensation of being lifted off the ground while holding the break with a standard ATC. If she is solid then go for a bit bigger fall. It's important to make sure the slack is on her side, not yours, this ensures that you don't snag your leg on the loop below. Also, make sure you don't get rope burn from the other strand going up while you come down!

Most likely your girlfriend doesn't want to drop you and will be holding strong. That being said, the first time a belayer sees someone falling towards them is the real make or break moment. Everyone reacts differently.

I have been belayed by the tiniest of girls who gripped that rope like nobodies business. The worst however was a friend who was outdoorsy and a climber. Here's how it played out... She had never caught a lead fall before and I was on a route that was too much for me. Back in my noob days :)

Me: I'm going to fall, you ready?
Her: Yeah I got you.
Me: You're holding the break down?
Her: Yep, solid, go for it!
Me: Okay on three... 3, 2, 1
My Body: This is weird I just bounced my skull off the ground... glad I had my helmet on!
Me: You owe me dinner.
Her: OMG I'M SO SORRY ARE YOU OKAY!?!?

What happened? Well a falling object is scary. Psychologically we are programmed to dive out of the way, so she did just that, dropped the rope and dove!

So yeah, practice toprope falls on an ATC. Then practice fake toprope/lead falls on an ATC. Then when you go for the real thing, make sure she is backed up by a friend for the big final test!

Also.... I would recommend trying this out:
Set up a toprope with you climbing and a friend belaying. Clip in to a second rope that you will "mock" lead on. Have her belay with the grigri2 while you mock lead on toprope. This gives her a chance to get dialed with how to use the device on lead. Make sure she's doing it correct! A bad/incorrect lead belay on a grigri (where she is consistently holding it in break position to feed rope) is dangerous and needs to be addressed right away to prevent bad habits!

So there ya go, two ways to break into the lead belay with an ATC or grigri2. Have fun!

I was going to do a global search and replace your "breaks" for "brakes" - but you are sneakier than that - sometimes you do mean break. So your assignment is to edit what you wrote and correct appropriately.

ACJ

Oct 20, 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #30 of 69 (4180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha rad. Hopefully the point is still understood. Keen eyes, could use your help when writing papers.

Partner cracklover

Oct 20, 2011, 4:24 AM
Post #31 of 69 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
Just keep it simple, I've always found that keeping things simple and performing them flawlessly are the best way to do things when climbing, complicating things that should be simple often times leads to failures, rather than making things simpler.

I'm double the weight of my wife, we've been climbing together for 18 years. The only device she's used to belay me as been an atc. We've top roped, and done multi pitch trad routes.

Teach her how to belay properly, and stay on easier routes until you are comfortable that she has belaying down pat (that goes for anyone that is new to belaying). Definately anchor her in!

Now if the real issue is that she says she's not comfortable belaying you, then give serious consideration to bringing an experienced climber to belay you.

Listen to this guy ^^^

GO

bearbreeder

Oct 20, 2011, 5:41 AM
Post #32 of 69 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just teach her how to lead belay correctly with the gri gri

while i personally believe that anyone should be able to belay safely with an ATC ... IMO assisted locking devices do add a bit of safety to the system IF the belayer is well versed in using it

weve heard of people dropped by experienced people with an ATC on RC ...

shoo

Oct 20, 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #33 of 69 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Judging from your questions, I wouldn't advise that you teach anyone anything. You are too new to this to be an effective teacher, and it is clear that you already have quite a load of misconceptions about proper belaying.

Seek more qualified instruction for the both of you. Though there is a lot of good information here, none of it is sufficient by itself.

For what it's worth, the inexperienced boyfriend teaching the even less experienced girlfriend is basically the worst possible combo.

jt512

Oct 20, 2011, 8:04 AM
Post #34 of 69 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Judging from your questions, I wouldn't advise that you teach anyone anything. You are too new to this to be an effective teache . . .

And I've been climbing for 25 years. I can only imagine what you might think about the OP.

Jay

shoo

Oct 20, 2011, 8:21 AM
Post #35 of 69 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
shoo wrote:
Judging from your questions, I wouldn't advise that you teach anyone anything. You are too new to this to be an effective teache . . .

And I've been climbing for 25 years. I can only imagine what you might think about the OP.

Jay

Ha! Sorry JT, that was clearly meant for the OP.

healyje

Oct 20, 2011, 8:33 AM
Post #36 of 69 (4129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
...we've heard of people dropped by experienced people with an ATC on RC ...

Hmmm. 'Experienced' isn't just a measure of time on rock or yardage, but rather of a positive progression of time, yardage, skills, and judgment. Experienced belayers don't drop people with any belay device - incompetent belayers do.

And I separate out 'belayers' from 'climbers' because I've run into some well-known climbers who sucked at belaying. Generally when I see that it's usually because they're only 'on' when they are climbing - when someone else is climbing and they aren't the focus, well, then they'd be less interested in the proceedings. The prima donna thing really isn't what you want in a belayer.

ladyscarlett

Oct 20, 2011, 9:16 AM
Post #37 of 69 (4123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your belayer won't have any problem when you get to leading. Afterall, it's not like you're going to fall when you're leading! Wink...and neither will she!

When faced with a similar issue of being belayed by a smaller person, my past climbing buddies taught me key belay techniques and fed me bacon and egg breakfast burritos and pastry every chance they could get.

Strangely enough, this did not work as well as having me carry the two #3's to even out our weight differences.

And with your size difference, when you start leading, you might consider learning a bit about 'soft catches' for your smaller partner...

'cause it DOES go both ways, no matter what they say!

Good luck to both of you.

far side of the peanut gallery,

LS

guangzhou

Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #38 of 69 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
tolman_paul wrote:

Listen to this guy ^^^

GO

Agree with the above.I too double my wife in weight, she has no trouble catching me on lead falls. Sport, trad, slabs, or overhangs.

Her main belay device is a ATC Guide, but she uses just about any tube belay device just fine. She also belays me on a Gri Gri, no issues.

bearbreeder

Oct 20, 2011, 1:14 PM
Post #39 of 69 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Hmmm. 'Experienced' isn't just a measure of time on rock or yardage, but rather of a positive progression of time, yardage, skills, and judgment. Experienced belayers don't drop people with any belay device - incompetent belayers do.

And I separate out 'belayers' from 'climbers' because I've run into some well-known climbers who sucked at belaying. Generally when I see that it's usually because they're only 'on' when they are climbing - when someone else is climbing and they aren't the focus, well, then they'd be less interested in the proceedings. The prima donna thing really isn't what you want in a belayer.

which is all fine and dandy till someone gets dropped

anyone who believes that it can never happen to them because they have the "right" belayers IMO is kidding themselves ... anyone can have a lapse in attention, and it only needs to happen once

you cant guarantee that the other person will be on their game every moment, you can stack the odds in yr favor by choosing the right person ... but at the end of the day thats what it is ... odds

all it takes is one slip up

healyje

Oct 20, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #40 of 69 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Hmmm. 'Experienced' anyone who believes that it can never happen to them because they have the "right" belayers IMO is kidding themselves ... anyone can have a lapse in attention, and it only needs to happen once

you cant guarantee that the other person will be on their game every moment, you can stack the odds in yr favor by choosing the right person ... but at the end of the day thats what it is ... odds

Widespread belay fuckups are a relatively recent phenom and largely unheard of BITD. An 'experienced' belayer should be able to go through a career spanning four or five decades and NEVER fuckup a belay, ever. An 'experienced' belayer can guarantee they will be on their game every moment - and anytime they can't, then they shouldn't be belaying at that time.

So, yeah, all it takes is one slip up, but a slip up belaying should NEVER happen. That it does routinely today is a reflection of today's overall demographic, how that demographic learns to climb, and the development of a broad attitude of tolerance for the intolerable.

(This post was edited by healyje on Oct 20, 2011, 6:41 PM)

bearbreeder

Oct 20, 2011, 7:23 PM
Post #41 of 69 (4039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are also a lot more climbers out there today than before ... many more ...

and i suspect all these climber take many more falls than the climbers of before ...

there is a statistical effect IMO

either way ... you are climbing in todays world ... and unless your partners are all 70 year old geezers who will "never" drop anyone, you are being belayed by todays climbers ...

as evidenced by one of our sadly dropped members, "experienced" climbers in todays world can drop people ...

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Oct 20, 2011, 7:32 PM)

potreroed

Oct 20, 2011, 7:37 PM
Post #42 of 69 (4031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Backup an ATC Belayer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
This makes no sense from beginning to end. I'm really hoping that English isn't your first language, and you've just completely failed to get your ideas across. Because otherwise you seem to misunderstand nearly everything in the belay process.

donwanadi wrote:
I am aware that it is possible to backup a belayer using an ATC if you have a third person to anchor in and tend a prussik attached to the brake end and a biner on their belay loop.

1 - If you wish to back up a belayer, the above would be a horrible way to do it.

2 - After a belayer has properly learned and demonstrated the ability to belay, no backup belayer should be involved.

3 - An incompetent belayer may drop you with any device, whether it is auto-locking or not.

In reply to:
This will prevent decking if the belayer were to drop the rope (due to rope burn or being hit by rockfall).

1 - The belayer should always be aware of the potential danger of rockfall. Some areas have a very low likelihood of rockfall, others a very high likelihood. The belayer should stand out of the way, and should wear a helmet if necessary. Mitigation is 99.9% of the solution, autolocking belay devices are a 0.1% solution to rockfall, at best.

2 - Why the concern about the belayer's hand getting burned? I've seen this happen only twice, and in both cases the rope burn was caused by the belayer dropping the climber, not the other way around. In each case, the belayer was using a poor technique, and the climber fell just at the weak point of the belayer's technique.

In reply to:
Is there an method of backing up an ATC belayer without a third person, using either knot or mechanical means?

Yes, but if you ever have a reason to do so, you've already screwed something else up.

In reply to:
Currently we are just top roping but I am twice my girlfriend's weight (whew! =P) and worry about her ability to catch a fall, esp a lead fall. I have her using a GRIGRI2 now but if I were to get into leading that won't be very efficient.

If you weigh twice what your belayer does, anchoring her with a long tether might work well. A grigri might also work well. I don't understand the bit about the grigri being inefficient at all.

GO

From personal experience I strongly disagree.

healyje

Oct 21, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #43 of 69 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
there are also a lot more climbers out there today than before ... many more

The demographic is not particularly competent.

bearbreeder wrote:
and i suspect all these climber take many more falls than the climbers of before ...

We frequently fell leading BITD, but falling or not is irrelevant to the topic of people being dropped. Hanging might be slightly relevant - but the issue is competency whether people are falling or hanging.

bearbreeder wrote:
either way ... you are climbing in todays world ... and unless your partners are all 70 year old geezers who will "never" drop anyone, you are being belayed by todays climbers ...

No one I climb with would ever drop anyone. Guaranteed.

bearbreeder wrote:
...as evidenced by one of our sadly dropped members, "experienced" climbers in todays world can drop people ...

In today's demographic, I'd say many 'experienced' climbers are incompetent belayers. Again, there is no excuse for dropping anyone - EVER. People shouldn't belay unassisted who are not competent to do so.

bearbreeder

Oct 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #44 of 69 (3996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

sorry .... but i call bull

theres no way you can "guarantee" that absolutely ... you may THINK they wont ... but theres utterly no way you can guarantee it ... shiet can happen to anyone

nothing bad will ever happen to me, till it happens ...Wink

guangzhou

Oct 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #45 of 69 (3989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
Hmmm. 'Experienced' anyone who believes that it can never happen to them because they have the "right" belayers IMO is kidding themselves ... anyone can have a lapse in attention, and it only needs to happen once

Widespread belay fuckups are a relatively recent phenom and largely unheard of BITD. An 'experienced' belayer should be able to go through a career spanning four or five decades and NEVER fuckup a belay, ever. An 'experienced' belayer can guarantee they will be on their game every moment - and anytime they can't, then they shouldn't be belaying at that time.

So, yeah, all it takes is one slip up, but a slip up belaying should NEVER happen. That it does routinely today is a reflection of today's overall demographic, how that demographic learns to climb, and the development of a broad attitude of tolerance for the intolerable.

Agreed. I some climbers play it to casual with the belayed and tolerate to much. Maybe the reason people are being dropped is just what you said, people are not accepting responsibility for their actions and other are not holding them accountable.

healyje

Oct 21, 2011, 1:31 AM
Post #46 of 69 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
healyje wrote:

sorry .... but i call bull

theres no way you can "guarantee" that absolutely ... you may THINK they wont ... but theres utterly no way you can guarantee it ... shiet can happen to anyone.

Man, if I believed a single word of that I'd quit climbing tomorrow. Really. When I say "absolutely", I mean absolutely guarantee a good belay.

Shite does not just "happen", incompetent people make shite happen. Incompetency isn't in the air, doesn't fall out of the sky to land on random people, and isn't visited upon us by chance in any other way. You are either competent to the task of belaying or you aren't. There is no gray in the matter.

That people like you would accept this as some sort of new 'reality' means climbing is way off the rails in general these days and expanding the demographic so rapidly over the past two decades was, in hindsight, quite unfortunate. That's because it means there are now a bunch of people climbing who shouldn't and never should have.

(This post was edited by healyje on Oct 21, 2011, 1:35 AM)

bearbreeder

Oct 21, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #47 of 69 (3959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

Man, if I believed a single word of that I'd quit climbing tomorrow. Really. When I say "absolutely", I mean absolutely guarantee a good belay.

Shite does not just "happen", incompetent people make shite happen. Incompetency isn't in the air, doesn't fall out of the sky to land on random people, and isn't visited upon us by chance in any other way. You are either competent to the task of belaying or you aren't. There is no gray in the matter.

That people like you would accept this as some sort of new 'reality' means climbing is way of the rails in general these days and expanding the demographic so rapidly over the past two decades was, in hindsight, quite unfortunate. That's because it means there are now a bunch of people climbing who shouldn't and never should have.

oh bull again ... ive stated many times that there are bad belayers and they should not be belaying .. and that anyone who belays should be able to do it with an ATC ... i simply know that i can NEVER EVER "guarantee" that someone else will never drop anyone throughout their climbing careers

what i can and do accept is the fact that people are fallible ... and yes even the best people ... everyone makes a mistake sooner or later, one just hopes that the mistake is a small one and has no serious consequences and is corrected ... and everybody learns from it .. and no i will never climb with a known "dropper"

to blindly "guarantee" that no one you ever climb with will never drop anyone for the rest of their climbing careers is just being delusional IMO

guess you dont climb with new partners ... same old group of same old "guaranteed" people ...

many people are competent ... till they screw up
Tongue

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Oct 21, 2011, 1:42 AM)

healyje

Oct 21, 2011, 3:04 AM
Post #48 of 69 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
oh bull again ... ive stated many times that there are bad belayers and they should not be belaying .. and that anyone who belays should be able to do it with an ATC ...

Grigri, ATC, hip belay - the method is irrelevant - either you are competent with you method of choice or you aren't.

bearbreeder wrote:
what i can and do accept is the fact that people are fallible ... and yes even the best people ...everyone makes a mistake sooner or later..

You shouldn't. Zero tolerance is what it's about in belaying, as in zero drops - ever in a climbing career.

bearbreeder wrote:
to blindly "guarantee" that no one you ever climb with will never drop anyone for the rest of their climbing careers is just being delusional IMO

No, it's not. It's what should be the absolute norm and expectation for any climber. I've been able to guarantee it for 37 years and endless numbers of climbers have done the same.

bearbreeder wrote:
guess you dont climb with new partners ... same old group of same old "guaranteed" people ...

I climb with a lot of folks, young and old - all competent belayers or I wouldn't climb with them. Age and chance have nothing to do with it, only competence does.

bearbreeder wrote:
many people are competent ... till they screw up.

Again, you display a stunning abdication of personal responsibility as a primary aspect of climbing. Incompetence becoming widespread is one thing, shrugging it off as the new normal is another altogether.

bearbreeder

Oct 21, 2011, 3:15 AM
Post #49 of 69 (3915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so let me get this straight

1. you absolutely guarantee that everyone you climb with will never drop anyone for the rest of their climbing lives

2. you climb with new people ... yet still guarantee the above ... how in the world can you "guarantee" it the first few times you climb with them and before they actually catch you on a fall ... sure you can take a test fall or two, and "train" em ... but guarantee that every single moment that there will never be a mess up is plain silly

and no please dont imply that i accept people dropping other people as normal ... it is NOT normal ... yet it happens, and to deny it can ever happen to you is simply mental blindness ...

oh and BTW i do agree that gym climbing and cragging in groups have bred a complacency in belaying, ive seen it at the crags ... but to deny that nothing can ever happen to you is plain silly

if we could really guarantee that everyone else we have "faith" in can never fcuk up ... well the world would be a different place

heres something i find particularly relevant ... best wishes to mister powers

"Over 35 years of climbing, and tens of thousands of belayed pitches, my faith in the belay was unquestioned, and is now very questioned," said Powers, 50. "There was huge amount of complacency or trust built up in me, not just for that belayer but all belayers. Belaying is so serious to me, and has been such a great service to me over these years, that I have a lot of faith in it. And I guess that manifests as a form of complacency."
"It takes two people to make a mistake in climbing," Powers said. "Now, I'm not fond of the fact I was dropped. But I do own a huge amount of that responsibility myself."
It goes without saying the head of America's foremost mountaineering organization wants people to believe climbing is a safe sport. But never 100 percent safe.
"People get distracted, people make mistakes," Powers said. "It's a vertical endeavor, so one mistake means a long fall. Because you're in a vertical environment, you can't let your guard down, ever."

http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_19085179

sandstone

Oct 21, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #50 of 69 (3899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
No one I climb with would ever drop anyone. Guaranteed.... When I say "absolutely", I mean absolutely guarantee a good belay....

Is this a troll, or some sort of Halloween prank? You don't seriously believe that do you?

In reply to:
...You are either competent to the task of belaying or you aren't. There is no gray in the matter....

The most competent belayers on the planet are still human, and none of them are exempt from our fallible human nature. None.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook