Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

maldaly

Feb 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #26 of 78 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hobgoblin11] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11,

I'm so sorry I offended you. There was none intended.

maldaly

(This post was edited by maldaly on Feb 28, 2012, 1:53 AM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #27 of 78 (5293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
maldaly wrote:
Hey climbing peeps, I'm trying to help out a friend with a project. Does anyone out there know who the first African American to climb Denali (Mt. McKinley) was? Thanks in advance.

What the hell is an "African American"? What if he wasnt born in Africa or speak any of its dialects? Would that still count?

What if he has really light skin because he is a descendant of European colonists but his family has lived in Africa for hundreds of years?

And what difference does it make where his family is from or what color his skin is?

Or are you trying to point out that there is a difference and thats its somehow harder for him to climb because of any of the above reasons?

You should be asking yourself.. why would someone ask a dumb fucking question like this in the first place.

http://isites.harvard.edu/...0Guido%20Debrito.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/...m-to-use-714689.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/...frican-American.html

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2962878

acorneau

Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #28 of 78 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Re: First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK1Pjgix79k

FriscoWilderness

Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #29 of 78 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why I just love rc.com.

csproul

Feb 28, 2012, 1:49 AM
Post #30 of 78 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
hobgoblin11,

I'm so sorrY I offended you. There was none intended.

maldaly
Mal, you have no reason to apologize.

Gmburns2000

Feb 28, 2012, 1:54 AM
Post #31 of 78 (5263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Does dad know?!?!" Laugh

maldaly

Feb 28, 2012, 1:54 AM
Post #32 of 78 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul - ;-)

FriscoWilderness

Feb 28, 2012, 2:35 AM
Post #33 of 78 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic!

FriscoWilderness

Feb 28, 2012, 2:46 AM
Post #34 of 78 (5244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We're not at the summit of Denali yet, but we been at the top of the rc.com general discussion board for four days. Its a start :)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 28, 2012, 2:57 AM
Post #35 of 78 (5237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
What the hell is ...this in the first place.

You know, there are just some occasions a person eventually comes to realize showed them...well, not at their peak. I wonder if hobgoblin will ever come to such an insight with regards to this post.

It's nearly as good as when some idjits were trying to give RASOY the smackdown here a few years ago. This one has grand scale cultural/historical ignorance, of course....which SHOULD top that incident. But - well, probably HG will probably just never get that end of it.

shockabuku

Feb 28, 2012, 3:59 AM
Post #36 of 78 (5215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
Why does it matter? Is it harder for a black guy to climb a mountain than a white guy?

For some, maybe it is.

Sickle cell anemia is caused by an abnormal type of hemoglobin called hemoglobin S. Hemoglobin is a protein inside red blood cells that carries oxygen. Hemoglobin S changes the shape of red blood cells, especially when the cells are exposed to low oxygen levels. The red blood cells become shaped like crescents or sickles.

The fragile, sickle-shaped cells deliver less oxygen to the body's tissues. They can also get stuck more easily in small blood vessels, and break into pieces that interupt healthy blood flow.

Sickle cell disease is much more common in people of African and Mediterranean descent. It is also seen in people from South and Central America, the Caribbean, and the Middle East.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...edhealth/PMH0001554/

bill413

Feb 28, 2012, 2:41 PM
Post #37 of 78 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
And what difference does it make where his family is from or what color his skin is?

Or are you trying to point out that there is a difference and thats its somehow harder for him to climb because of any of the above reasons?

I'll admit to having some thoughts similar to the second line. However, a bit of reflection quickly revealed that it was significant.

here, this might have some bearing on the difficulty, at least of the logistics:
JoyTrip wrote:
As to why it matters it's important for us to realize in that same year millions of African-Americans couldn't even vote in this country and less than a decade earlier several National Parks were racially segregated. At a time when people of color in the U.S. seldom ventured out into wilderness areas for fear racially motivated violence few could have dreamed of ever scaling to the highest summit in North America. Crenchaw's climb marked a seminal point history when for the first time a black person in this country had the leisure time, financial resources, the social connections, skills and the inclination to exercise the right many of us take for granted today, the right to do what ever the hell we want to.

And, I'd like to say this:
hobgoblin11 wrote:
You should be asking yourself.. why would someone askobject to a dumb fucking question like this in the first place.

(This post was edited by bill413 on Feb 28, 2012, 2:45 PM)

hobgoblin11

Feb 28, 2012, 3:49 PM
Post #38 of 78 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I came into the climbing community expecting this to be the LAST place Id see this race-card bullshit being played out. Thats why I object to the question.

It sure is a good thing all you "well-intentioned" folks are watching out for these "african-americans".. whatever that is and any other oppressed hyphenated-americans.

Im sure ALL your roads are paved with gold.

All these idiotic hyphenated-american terms and questions like the OPs do is guarantee fodder for racist jackasses who look for differences because of skin color.

Nice job to all you for not only dragging the problem on further but justifying why it IS a stupid question.

and to the OP.. there will ALWAYS be racists of every color.. in every country. Rock climbing is probably one of the most individualistic sports out there and would more than likely be one of the least racist clique's a climber of any color would find. I will say this.. I think you'd be better off with real, in your face racists.. at least you know where you stand.. vs these closet racists who come running to defend you and think you need their "help". (and you notice how quickly they came).

johnwesely

Feb 28, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #39 of 78 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
I came into the climbing community expecting this to be the LAST place Id see this race-card bullshit being played out. Thats why I object to the question.

It sure is a good thing all you "well-intentioned" folks are watching out for these "african-americans".. whatever that is and any other oppressed hyphenated-americans.

Im sure ALL your roads are paved with gold.

All these idiotic hyphenated-american terms and questions like the OPs do is guarantee fodder for racist jackasses who look for differences because of skin color.

Nice job to all you for not only dragging the problem on further but justifying why it IS a stupid question.

and to the OP.. there will ALWAYS be racists of every color.. in every country. Rock climbing is probably one of the most individualistic sports out there and would more than likely be one of the least racist clique's a climber of any color would find. I will say this.. I think you'd be better off with real, in your face racists.. at least you know where you stand.. vs these closet racists who come running to defend you and think you need their "help". (and you notice how quickly they came).

So brave.

Traches

Feb 28, 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #40 of 78 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChessRonin] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't going to reply to this thread again, but it keeps getting bumped...

blueeyedclimber wrote:
A lot of white men have trouble believing that racism, sexism, and overall oppression are problems. That's because, well, they are white men and have never been confronted with it.

Josh

I of course concede this point; just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That said, I believe most people would notice if racism/sexism were popular, rampant, or institutionalized in today's society whether they were the target of it or not. Racism is still around yeah, but it's on its way out.

ChessRonin wrote:
Justice Roberts got it wrong.

Ignoring an extremely negative history only perpetuates the effects of that history. Acknowledging the history (and thereby endeavoring to remedy its effects) requires acknowledging that racial injustice was a huge factor present during the formation of and maintenance of our nation, institutionalized as a matter of law until very recently (for over 300 years, with institutional changes occurring only within the last 50 years).

It is both naive and callous for a society to say to its oppressed minorities, after over 300 years of systematic and institutional oppression, rape, murder, and deprivation, including over 200 years of forced bondage, that "we no longer care about race, so let's no-one talk about it now."

As to Black climbers, I myself rarely see another at the gym or crag. It is without dispute that climbing is historically a White man's game, so to speak, and it is also true that people in general are more likely to try something new when others with whom they can identify in some way are participating in that thing.

In my opinion, the reason that Black and other non-White climbers may be under-represented is not as much because of a cultural difference, but because climbing is a historically White predominated sport, and because potential climbers see only White people climbing, and aren't as attracted to it as they otherwise might be; given the social history of our nation, I'm sure that you can understand this phenomenon.

Also, consider this; there are plenty of non-White climbers out there; how often do you see them depicted in the climbing media?

I'm not for a second saying we should ignore that history, or trying diminish its significance; racism is an awful, horrible thing that unfortunately has had a huge role in this country's history. My view: The worst possible solution to the all problems caused by racism, is more racism. Discrimination based on race, gender, or any other trait that people have no control over, for any reason, is fundamentally evil in every sense of the word, and the practice cannot be eradicated from this planet quickly enough. By drawing distinctions between different groups of people, you drive those people apart and gain nothing in return. If you believe that a group of people require special treatment, by definition you don't consider them to be equals.

I have a huge problem with looking at people in groups rather than as individuals, and shockabu's post about sickle cell anemia is a perfect example of why. You either have sickle cell or you don't; if you climb a mountain with the condition you deserve recognition for that fact, if you don't then you don't. There are blacks who are privileged and whites who aren't; if someone comes from a poor family and goes on to do great things, they deserve recognition for that, regardless of ethnicity. If you look at people in groups it's easy to turn tendencies into absolutes, which unfairly skews your perception of every individual in that group.

hobgoblin11

Feb 28, 2012, 4:38 PM
Post #41 of 78 (5126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
So brave.

Sorry.. i didnt grow up in the US. I simply fail to comprehend the fascination with racism or with all these white people trying to help out blacks every time they perceive an injustice. They treat blacks like fucking children.. come running to their aid. "uh oh.. white guy and black guy arguing.. must be some racism going on.. better call the 'help the black folk police' "

Im pretty sure blacks are completely capable of defending their own positions.

Ive been a lot of places on this planet most of these assclowns have no idea what real racism is.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2012, 5:16 PM
Post #42 of 78 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
So brave.

Sorry.. i didnt grow up in the US. I simply fail to comprehend the fascination with racism or with all these white people trying to help out blacks every time they perceive an injustice. They treat blacks like fucking children.. come running to their aid. "uh oh.. white guy and black guy arguing.. must be some racism going on.. better call the 'help the black folk police' "

Ive been a lot of places on this planet most of these assclowns have no idea what real racism is.

Wow. You're kind of a jerk.

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2012, 5:25 PM
Post #43 of 78 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
I wasn't going to reply to this thread again, but it keeps getting bumped...

blueeyedclimber wrote:
A lot of white men have trouble believing that racism, sexism, and overall oppression are problems. That's because, well, they are white men and have never been confronted with it.

Josh

I of course concede this point; just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That said, I believe most people would notice if racism/sexism were popular, rampant, or institutionalized in today's society whether they were the target of it or not. Racism is still around yeah, but it's on its way out.

ChessRonin wrote:
Justice Roberts got it wrong.

Ignoring an extremely negative history only perpetuates the effects of that history. Acknowledging the history (and thereby endeavoring to remedy its effects) requires acknowledging that racial injustice was a huge factor present during the formation of and maintenance of our nation, institutionalized as a matter of law until very recently (for over 300 years, with institutional changes occurring only within the last 50 years).

It is both naive and callous for a society to say to its oppressed minorities, after over 300 years of systematic and institutional oppression, rape, murder, and deprivation, including over 200 years of forced bondage, that "we no longer care about race, so let's no-one talk about it now."

As to Black climbers, I myself rarely see another at the gym or crag. It is without dispute that climbing is historically a White man's game, so to speak, and it is also true that people in general are more likely to try something new when others with whom they can identify in some way are participating in that thing.

In my opinion, the reason that Black and other non-White climbers may be under-represented is not as much because of a cultural difference, but because climbing is a historically White predominated sport, and because potential climbers see only White people climbing, and aren't as attracted to it as they otherwise might be; given the social history of our nation, I'm sure that you can understand this phenomenon.

Also, consider this; there are plenty of non-White climbers out there; how often do you see them depicted in the climbing media?

I'm not for a second saying we should ignore that history, or trying diminish its significance; racism is an awful, horrible thing that unfortunately has had a huge role in this country's history. My view: The worst possible solution to the all problems caused by racism, is more racism. Discrimination based on race, gender, or any other trait that people have no control over, for any reason, is fundamentally evil in every sense of the word, and the practice cannot be eradicated from this planet quickly enough. By drawing distinctions between different groups of people, you drive those people apart and gain nothing in return. If you believe that a group of people require special treatment, by definition you don't consider them to be equals.

I have a huge problem with looking at people in groups rather than as individuals, and shockabu's post about sickle cell anemia is a perfect example of why. You either have sickle cell or you don't; if you climb a mountain with the condition you deserve recognition for that fact, if you don't then you don't. There are blacks who are privileged and whites who aren't; if someone comes from a poor family and goes on to do great things, they deserve recognition for that, regardless of ethnicity. If you look at people in groups it's easy to turn tendencies into absolutes, which unfairly skews your perception of every individual in that group.

I don't think you quite understand. No one is asking anyone to ignore who people are. I don't think it's appropriate to ignore the fact that someone might be black, or gay, or a woman, or short. There is no reason why differences can't be both celebrated and not allowed to limit one's opportunities. Women don't want to be treated like men. And African-Americans don't want to be treated like special needs students. At the same time though, when we're talking about a black person being the first to summit a peak, it is significant because it hasn't happened before for whatever the reason. At some point it won't be significant anymore as more and more undertake it.

Secondly, discrimination still exists, but is often more subtle. There usually isn't a burning cross on someone's lawn anymore.

Josh

hobgoblin11

Feb 28, 2012, 5:51 PM
Post #44 of 78 (5091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
hobgoblin11 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
So brave.

Wow. You're kind of a jerk.

Josh

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best reply evah!!

hobgoblin11

Feb 28, 2012, 5:57 PM
Post #45 of 78 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Secondly, discrimination still exists, but is often more subtle. There usually isn't a burning cross on someone's lawn anymore.

Josh

It sure is a good damn thing the black folk have you to investigate and root it out for em!!

Traches

Feb 28, 2012, 6:19 PM
Post #46 of 78 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

I don't think you quite understand.

I understand perfectly, I simply disagree. Should we keep track of the first summits by gingers as well?

My view celebrates differences more than yours-- I see an individual, you see a "straight middle class african-american male".

(This post was edited by Traches on Feb 28, 2012, 6:20 PM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 28, 2012, 6:57 PM
Post #47 of 78 (5054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

I understand perfectly, I simply disagree. Should we keep track of the first summits by gingers as well?

If this is the case then we shouldn't keep track of any first ascents because, you know, everyone had the opportunity for the FA when it first happened. It's not as if anyone had any obstacles or barriers put around them when it happened, or that several generations of potential achievements weren't forcibly suffocated while many of the lowest hanging fruits weren't plucked.

While we're at it, let's take away Jackie Robinson's achievement of being the first black baseball player, too, because, you know, there were lots of people who had played baseball before. It's not as if he did anything remarkable as an individual. And Obama being the first black president because, you know, that's simply not important in this day and age with him being a man just like every other man. Because, you know, everyone is an individual with the same opportunities and, you know, there isn't any reason whatsoever that it took THIS LONG for a black man to become president and that we, the United States, a country of supposed tons of equal rights and all, still haven't had a female president.

I don't know dude, the whole seeing people as individuals goes only as far as the individual goes. Sometimes the argument is in between the lines and sometimes the sum of the problem is greater than the individual parts added together. When I see a black person I see a person because my era is different than my grandfather's, but when I look at history I see a much different picture.

shockabuku

Feb 28, 2012, 7:04 PM
Post #48 of 78 (5051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

My view celebrates differences more than yours-- I see an individual, you see a "straight middle class african-american male".

How can you see an individual and not consider their gender, race, and after some amount of interaction their probable or actual socio-economic standing and sexual preference? All of those things are part of people.

Mostly it doesn't matter what some particular individual sees (like you) unless you happen to be a very influential individual (yes, I'm saying you don't matter). However, there are still a lot of people who see differences and discriminate against them and/or who feel discriminated against because of them.

csproul

Feb 28, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #49 of 78 (5035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

If the all ginger climbing club of Edinburgh wanted to find the first ginger to climb Denali and celebrate that achievement, why would you care? Let them take pride in their identity, it doesn't affect you one bit.

GeckoBat

Feb 28, 2012, 7:33 PM
Post #50 of 78 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
... Racism is still around yeah, but it's on its way out.

You are kidding right? Are you only referring to how Caucasians view other visible minorities? Racism exists in all cultures and ethnic groups.

The one thing that I enjoy about the climbing community is that we celebrate our similar passion for climbing -- not that I'm a visible minority and "Whitey" lets me climb with him.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook