Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #51 of 78 (3624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

I don't think you quite understand.

I understand perfectly, I simply disagree. Should we keep track of the first summits by gingers as well?

My view celebrates differences more than yours-- I see an individual, you see a "straight middle class african-american male".

And being straight, middle-class, african-american and male happens to be part of their individuality. Are you saying that when you meet a black male that you don't notice that he's black? I am sorry I can't do that. My eyesight is just fine, thank you. I feel what you are doing is not treating people as individuals but ignoring their individuality.

It's just that I can notice differences without treating those differences unfairly or with any bias.

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Feb 28, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #52 of 78 (3624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hobgoblin11] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
hobgoblin11 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
So brave.

Sorry.. i didnt grow up in the US. I simply fail to comprehend the fascination with racism or with all these white people trying to help out blacks every time they perceive an injustice. They treat blacks like fucking children.. come running to their aid. "uh oh.. white guy and black guy arguing.. must be some racism going on.. better call the 'help the black folk police' "

Im pretty sure blacks are completely capable of defending their own positions.

Ive been a lot of places on this planet most of these assclowns have no idea what real racism is.

Wow. You're kind of a jerk.

Josh

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best reply evah!!

Thanks. Wink

Traches

Feb 28, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #53 of 78 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
While we're at it, let's take away Jackie Robinson's achievement of being the first black baseball player, too, because, you know, there were lots of people who had played baseball before.

Jackie Robinson's awesome because of the shit he put up with (which was a result of being black), not simply because he was black. He was a remarkable individual because of his actions, not because of the group he was born into. His race only set the stage for the person he made himself.

In reply to:
I don't know dude, the whole seeing people as individuals goes only as far as the individual goes. Sometimes the argument is in between the lines and sometimes the sum of the problem is greater than the individual parts added together. When I see a black person I see a person because my era is different than my grandfather's, but when I look at history I see a much different picture.

That's precisely the point.

shockabuku wrote:

How can you see an individual and not consider their gender, race, and after some amount of interaction their probable or actual socio-economic standing and sexual preference? All of those things are part of people.

I can also see their height, hair color, and if they're a lefty, and they matter to me about as much. I don't pretend these things don't exist, I just think they're insignificant beyond the ways they've had an impact on that person's life and therefore identity; and you can't know any of those things without knowing the person.

shockabuku wrote:
Mostly it doesn't matter what some particular individual sees (like you) unless you happen to be a very influential individual (yes, I'm saying you don't matter). However, there are still a lot of people who see differences and discriminate against them and/or who feel discriminated against because of them.

I'm saying that these people are wrong, and there is no instance in which they are right, regardless of the reasoning behind their discrimination.

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Are you saying that when you meet a black male that you don't notice that he's black? I am sorry I can't do that. My eyesight is just fine, thank you. I feel what you are doing is not treating people as individuals but ignoring their individuality.

I think the difference is that you see a person mostly born with their identity, I see them create an identity from what they are born with and the life they live. To reduce a person to the circumstances of their birth is demeaning and disrespectful.

In reply to:
It's just that I can notice differences without treating those differences unfairly or with any bias.

Sort of like having different bathrooms for whites and blacks, as long as one's not nicer than the other? It's not possible to see two different groups of people without making comparisons and judgments between the two.

csproul wrote:
If the all ginger climbing club of Edinburgh wanted to find the first ginger to climb Denali and celebrate that achievement, why would you care? Let them take pride in their identity, it doesn't affect you one bit.

Absolutely, they can do whatever they want! That sure seems an odd basis for a climbing club though; why not base your club on a group people can choose to join-- i.e. an all vegetarian or all christian club? They'd have a lot more in common.

Gmburns2000

Feb 28, 2012, 9:16 PM
Post #54 of 78 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I don't know dude, the whole seeing people as individuals goes only as far as the individual goes. Sometimes the argument is in between the lines and sometimes the sum of the problem is greater than the individual parts added together. When I see a black person I see a person because my era is different than my grandfather's, but when I look at history I see a much different picture.

That's precisely the point.

No, this is the point.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 29, 2012, 2:55 AM
Post #55 of 78 (3561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
In reply to:
Are you saying that when you meet a black male that you don't notice that he's black? I am sorry I can't do that. My eyesight is just fine, thank you. I feel what you are doing is not treating people as individuals but ignoring their individuality.

I think the difference is that you see a person mostly born with their identity, I see them create an identity from what they are born with and the life they live. To reduce a person to the circumstances of their birth is demeaning and disrespectful.

Wrong again.Crazy

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sort of like having different bathrooms for whites and blacks, as long as one's not nicer than the other? It's not possible to see two different groups of people without making comparisons and judgments between the two.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're "color blind." This wasn't a racist post, but you are sure trying hard to make it one. I'm out.

Josh

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 29, 2012, 3:11 AM
Post #56 of 78 (3560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
... this race-card bullshit being played out. Thats why I object to the question.

Could you please explain to me how asking the question "Does anyone out there know who the first African American to climb Denali (Mt. McKinley) was?" is "race0card bullshit?" This is a serious question, as I am trying to understand where your mind is at.

Secondly - The person who had wondered about whom the first African-American on Denali was, which provided the impetus for the OP's question, has come to the thread and voiced his(I assume male, but could be wrong - if so, excuse my prejudice) desire to be part of the first African-American TEAM to summit Denali. Woops - that's a heck of a run-on sentence!

That person goes on to explain why they feel that first ascent and their team effort at ascent is important("As we begin to see a shift in our demographics to favor a non-white majority, as predicted to occur in 2042, what do suppose will happen if most of the people in our country have no interest in protecting wilderness? ").

I'd be interested to witness your retort as to why that would be a matter which deserves no recognition or support.

Thank you for your time in considering a response, and taking the time to do so, if in fact you do choose to reply.

maldaly

Feb 29, 2012, 3:42 AM
Post #57 of 78 (3550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thx for refocusing this one happie'. James has a really good point. We are facing a demographic earthquake and if we don't start thinking about it now, we could lose a lot of what we've fought for for 5 decades.

hobgoblin11

Feb 29, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #58 of 78 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
hobgoblin11 wrote:
... this race-card bullshit being played out. Thats why I object to the question.

Could you please explain to me how asking the question "Does anyone out there know who the first African American to climb Denali (Mt. McKinley) was?" is "race0card bullshit?" This is a serious question, as I am trying to understand where your mind is at.

Quite simply put.. because this is, was and always will be a cultural and socioeconomic issue.. not a racial issue.

Racism is unique to cultures not peoples. As are socioeconimic problems.. to imply that every white man was a racist in 1964 or every black man was some oppressed down trodden minority makes one no better than they people they accuse.

What was the assumption here..? That there as a group of KKK down at base camp.. chewing on his ropes? Or a burning cross waiting for him at the top. Or that people refused to help him climb because of his skin color? Denali is rugged and difficult now.. that land and its people are difficult and rugged.. and have little time for nuances like racism. People who climb mountains and those who support them have little time for such nuances... and if even they do they would be quickly dispelled when your lives are in each others hands.

Climbing Denali.. or ANY mountain is a an incredible feat for ANY man.. dont belittle it by bringing the color of ones skin into a place where it simply doesnt bleong.

ANY difficuly endeavor is performed through perseverance and character.. not through melanin count.

If he climbed Denali... its because he was a great man not because he was a great black man

and when the day comes that whites are the minority and I'm afforded the honor to be the first to perform something incredible.. I REALLY hope people would remember me for being the first
man to accomplish it.. not the first white man

Gmburns2000

Feb 29, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #59 of 78 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
hobgoblin11 wrote:

Quite simply put.. because this is, was and always will be a cultural and socioeconomic issue.. not a racial issue.

Racism is unique to cultures not peoples. As are socioeconimic problems.. to imply that every white man was a racist in 1964 or every black man was some oppressed down trodden minority makes one no better than they people they accuse.

What was the assumption here..? That there as a group of KKK down at base camp.. chewing on his ropes? Or a burning cross waiting for him at the top. Or that people refused to help him climb because of his skin color? Denali is rugged and difficult now.. that land and its people are difficult and rugged.. and have little time for nuances like racism. People who climb mountains and those who support them have little time for such nuances... and if even they do they would be quickly dispelled when your lives are in each others hands.
The bolded part is very likely to be true on a grand scale in the year that he accomplished it. The white people on his team probably would have had no problem finding partners. He would have had a MUCH harder time finding partners.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 29, 2012, 5:28 PM
Post #60 of 78 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
ANY difficuly endeavor is performed through perseverance and character.. not through melanin count.

That's an interesting statement, because the act itself is due to perseverance and character. But the black man has to overcome objectives - even today in our age of racism being on the way out - that a white man simply does not encounter.

I've not reserached that 1964 ascent, but it is not hard for me to imagine it could be possible to have ropes pooped on, or cut. Bush pilot dropping the man in a more difficult spot than he usually would, team mates who don't like the idea of a black guy working beside them doing so begrudgingly, if not outright refusing. People not providing maps requested during research stage, and such. That crap happens even today, in similar instances, all over this country.

Arlene Blum, in her biography "Breaking Trail," writes very specifically of similar objectives she had to overcome as a female alpinist. Objectives that most men would never have had to encounter, in order to achieve their objectives. Discriminated against due to her being a woman.

Look at the Wings of Steel thread on Supertopo, to see how outsiders were discriminated against, and beat down even 30 years after the fact - just this very year, for being considered outsiders.

I have talked to three women who have taken AMGA certification, (about that cert) and 2 of those recount very clear indications that their male instructors placed obstacles in their way that were not provided to the male students.

This is not black vs white, but it is absurd to think that the man who first summitted Denali had the same situation as the white guys.

Still - thank you for taking the time for discourse. I don't think I will have time further today and then will be out of cel range for a few days, so please do not consider a lack of interaction here to mean that I am not interested in the topic.

dynosore

Feb 29, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #61 of 78 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good grief. Get over the past people. Then maybe we can move forward. I'll do the first Czech-Polish-Native American ascent of Denali. Talk about oppressed. My great grandmother fled Prague after her 1st husband was murdered by the Nazis. My Cree ancestors weren't exactly treated well either.

Despite this, I'm seen as an evil "white guy". I've never discriminated against anyone because of race, never owned a slave, nor do I condone such behavior in any way. Yet I've been discrimated against. I wanted to be a DNR officer when I was younger, only to be told they couldn't hire any more white males. I was passed over for promotion so they could get a 2-fer who was totally incompetent moved on up.

Decades of victim mentality have brought the black what?

What I am prejudiced against is people who don't take responsibility for their own lives.

dynosore

Feb 29, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #62 of 78 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
In reply to:

That's an interesting statement, because the act itself is due to perseverance and character. But the black man has to overcome objectives - even today in our age of racism being on the way out - that a white man simply does not encounter.

Keep drinking that koolaid. What are these barriers? Getting into college with a lower GPA than a white guy? I guarantee that millions of blacks were born into more favorable socioeconomic circumstances than I or anyone I grew up with was.

jbro_135

Mar 1, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #63 of 78 (3446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
In reply to:

Keep drinking that koolaid. What are these barriers? Getting into college with a lower GPA than a white guy? I guarantee that millions of blacks were born into more favorable socioeconomic circumstances than I or anyone I grew up with was.

just so we're clear, we are talking about the year 1964...

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 1, 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #64 of 78 (3434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To be clear, my remark did say "even today."

The person goes on to make his remarks, which though I don't have a hell of a lot of time to go searches resources, but wonder if he wouldn't consider it an additional obstacle that African Americans were being charged higher interest rates on mortgages in the recent housing bubble.

This point is easy enough to validate, should one do a little searching.

I also recently read of a study where people were shown advertisements featuring a white person and a person of color(ad same besides person's color) and asked their likelihood of of purchasing the item. The survey showed that people rated their likelihood higher when it was a white person.

Young black men tend to be given harsher penalties in court of law to their white counterpart as well.

But no...no racism here in the USA anymore.

jbro_135

Mar 1, 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #65 of 78 (3423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wuz not replying to you happiez, u r right on

styndall

Mar 1, 2012, 2:06 AM
Post #66 of 78 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

hobgoblin11 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
hobgoblin11 wrote:

Climbing Denali.. or ANY mountain is a an incredible feat for ANY man.. dont belittle it by bringing the color of ones skin into a place where it simply doesnt bleong.

If he climbed Denali... its because he was a great man not because he was a great black man

and when the day comes that whites are the minority and I'm afforded the honor to be the first to perform something incredible.. I REALLY hope people would remember me for being the first
man to accomplish it.. not the first white man

Why does this get you so angry? Can you just not acknowledge that African Americans are really under-represented in the American climbing community, and that recognizing African-American achievements in climbing might inspire greater minority participation? Indeed, that seeing an African-American dude summit some high mountains might show minority kids that they can have the opportunity to do something incredible like that, if they work at it?

Do you also object to people recording women's ascents or publicizing women completing hard climbs?

(This post was edited by styndall on Mar 1, 2012, 2:06 AM)

dynosore

Mar 1, 2012, 2:43 AM
Post #67 of 78 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Studies have shown that short men are discriminated against even moreso than minorities when it comes to employment and promotions. Better looking people get promoted more easily. We live in an imperfect world, but I fail to believe we will make any progress by reversing the discrimination. I prefer to be colorblind.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 1, 2012, 1:48 PM
Post #68 of 78 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Studies have shown that short men are discriminated against even moreso than minorities when it comes to employment and promotions. Better looking people get promoted more easily. We live in an imperfect world, but I fail to believe we will make any progress by reversing the discrimination. I prefer to be colorblind.

I don't understand why you are getting offended (I know I said I am done with this thread). Why can't racism and discrimination be talked about without people getting up in arms about it? Just because racism towards black people is being talked about, no one is saying that other groups have not had to endure discrimination as well. No one is saying that as a white man, you have participated in this discrimination.

I grew up a white, middle to upper middle class, white male. I am fairly intelligent, fairly attractive (IMO), average height, from a loving family. I am pretty sure that I have never been discriminated against for anything. I am also pretty sure that I have never discriminated (at least to my knowledge) against anyone else for their skin color, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or lack of charismatic good looks. That being said, I don't see why discrimination can't be talked about without people taking offense to it, or thinking that they or people they know haven't had just as hard a life.

Now, back to the original OP, what is wrong with recognizing an achievement that hasn't been done before? Who is it hurting? If you, as a short homely person want to be recognized for something, then I will support that as well Cool

Josh

dynosore

Mar 1, 2012, 3:12 PM
Post #69 of 78 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
To be clear, my remark did say "even today."

But no...no racism here in the USA anymore.

I'm not denying that there is still racism. I'm suggesting that the things (AA for example) put in place to "fix" the problem actually perpetuate it. I have never been a racist. I dated the only black girl at my high school. But I have to admit it made me a bit resentful when I was denied a career path because I'm (mostly) white.

Maybe white people raised in the middle and upper class don't understand. Not only did I, and many others, have to overcome the same socioeconomic challenges that many minorities do, I was denied opportunity because of my skin color. Tell me that's not racism.

Anywho, I am aiming for Denali in May 2014. Any serious climber of any color is free to join me!

dynosore

Mar 1, 2012, 3:21 PM
Post #70 of 78 (3345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dynosore wrote:

I don't understand why you are getting offended (I know I said I am done with this thread). Why can't racism and discrimination be talked about without people getting up in arms about it? Just because racism towards black people is being talked about, no one is saying that other groups have not had to endure discrimination as well. No one is saying that as a white man, you have participated in this discrimination.

I grew up a white, middle to upper middle class, white male. I am fairly intelligent, fairly attractive (IMO), average height, from a loving family. I am pretty sure that I have never been discriminated against for anything. I am also pretty sure that I have never discriminated (at least to my knowledge) against anyone else for their skin color, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or lack of charismatic good looks. That being said, I don't see why discrimination can't be talked about without people taking offense to it, or thinking that they or people they know haven't had just as hard a life.

Josh

I can only speak for myself. I get "up in arms" about it because I grew up amongst poor white trash to be perfectly honest. I saw how some of us struggled to rise above it but very few of us made it out. Only unusual intelligence and drive got me where I am. To have additional barriers put in our way because we were white was ridiculous. I would have loved to gotten more scholarships to go to college, but I'm not a minority or a woman. I had to work full time and it took me 8 very long years. I'm a better person for it and I appreciate what I have all the more, but I sure wouldn't chose that path for my kids. Go spend a week volunteering on a reservation and you might think a bit differently about things.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 1, 2012, 3:26 PM
Post #71 of 78 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dynosore wrote:

Josh

I can only speak for myself. I get "up in arms" about it because I grew up amongst poor white trash to be perfectly honest. I saw how some of us struggled to rise above it but very few of us made it out. Only unusual intelligence and drive got me where I am. To have additional barriers put in our way because we were white was ridiculous. I would have loved to gotten more scholarships to go to college, but I'm not a minority or a woman. I had to work full time and it took me 8 very long years. I'm a better person for it and I appreciate what I have all the more, but I sure wouldn't chose that path for my kids. Go spend a week volunteering on a reservation and you might think a bit differently about things.

Both good for you for "making it out", and sorry for the obstacles you had to face. But....I don't think that gives you the right to discount challenges others have faced. It sure would be nice if we didn't have to talk about any of this.

Josh

hobgoblin11

Mar 1, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #72 of 78 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
Why does this get you so angry? Can you just not acknowledge that African Americans are really under-represented in the American climbing community, and that recognizing African-American achievements in climbing might inspire greater minority participation? Indeed, that seeing an African-American dude summit some high mountains might show minority kids that they can have the opportunity to do something incredible like that, if they work at it?

Do you also object to people recording women's ascents or publicizing women completing hard climbs?

Under-represented? Do you realize how fucking stupid that sounds? Is the world out of balance because there isnt equal representation of minorities in EVERY sport or endeavor?

Does everything in life have to have equal representation of every race? This isnt an episode of the fucking power rangers.

Are you really going to try so hard to attract minorities that every accomplishment of a minority climber becomes a celebrated event? Who was the first chinese guy to solo half dome? Who was the fist Indian to use a carabiner? Who was the first Mexican to blah blah blah..

The guy climbed Denali .. amazing accomplishment. period. And you want to turn this into some kind of damn diversity parade so YOU"LL feel better because there are more minority climbers.

Whats funny is the racism in your post.. and you dont even see it. You assume that minority children cant look at ANY human climber and get motivated.. he has to be a climber of THIER skin color accordiing to you .. so are you implying that children are inherently racist? Or is that just YOUR assumption?

and BTW.. are you assuming the women arent as capable in climbing as men? Most of the best climbers are far from physically imposing carrying no more muscle mass than the average female weightlifter and much leaner. So you must be referring to some other deficiency you think exists... so why dont you clue us in to why a woman climbing something hard should be celebrated over a PERSON climbing something hard? let me guess. men at base camp were chewing on her ropes after they finished with the black guys?

rmsusa

Mar 1, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #73 of 78 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Just amazing! I work all over Latin America and this exact thing is what I see used to justify the most incredible kind of racism.

Gmburns2000

Mar 1, 2012, 4:16 PM
Post #74 of 78 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] First African American to climb Denali? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Just amazing! I work all over Latin America and this exact thing is what I see used to justify the most incredible kind of racism.

This is exactly what happens in Brasil.

csproul

Mar 1, 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #75 of 78 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It still doesn't matter one iota if you think that a black/woman/dwarf/whatever climbing Denali is any more of an accomplishment than any other group. What matters is that those groups find it important and inspirational. What makes you an ass is not that you don't care who the first [insert group] was to [insert accomplishment], but that you marginalize the desire of those groups to celebrate that accomplishment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook