All of them, you still lead it. 13 / 20%
66 total votes

Tylers_outdoors

May 22, 2013, 7:14 PM
Post #76 of 109 (9158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ill tell you what, whatever it takes to avoid a ground fall. In most cases I would say the first bolt if its really high. I will take a fall if its a small fall, I love to boulder. But, I also think a high ground fall that causes injury or worse is not worth the risk. Just this weekend I blew a clip on a runout second bolt and took a 25 foot ground fall, I walked away from it pretty banged up but I will never let it happen again, this I am sure. When I am able to breath properly again and the puss stops seeping from my head, (I was wearing a helmet, it is now a two piece), I will be back to the route that kicked my ass. I will be bringing a stick clip and I will be stick clipping that second bolt. Sport climbing is about having fun pushing your limits on a project. Clip what you need to to stay safe. If you want to be a cowboy place your pro.

acorneau

May 23, 2013, 1:52 AM
Post #77 of 109 (9092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tylers_outdoors] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tylers_outdoors wrote:
Ill tell you what, whatever it takes to avoid a ground fall. In most cases I would say the first bolt if its really high. I will take a fall if its a small fall, I love to boulder. But, I also think a high ground fall that causes injury or worse is not worth the risk. Just this weekend I blew a clip on a runout second bolt and took a 25 foot ground fall, I walked away from it pretty banged up but I will never let it happen again, this I am sure. When I am able to breath properly again and the puss stops seeping from my head, (I was wearing a helmet, it is now a two piece), I will be back to the route that kicked my ass. I will be bringing a stick clip and I will be stick clipping that second bolt. Sport climbing is about having fun pushing your limits on a project. Clip what you need to to stay safe. If you want to be a cowboy place your pro.

Don't mind me, just passing by...

Cool

ShelfRoadNic

May 23, 2013, 2:39 PM
Post #78 of 109 (9025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is a Stick Clip?

dagibbs

May 23, 2013, 2:42 PM
Post #79 of 109 (9021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ShelfRoadNic] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ShelfRoadNic wrote:
What is a Stick Clip?

A stick that is used to clip (usually) the first bolt of a sport climb from the ground so that even the opening moves are protected.

Some/many modern sport climbs are bolted with a high first bolt, with the expectation that it will be clipped with a stick clip. This is done, because it allows for safer clipping of the 2nd bolt, without having to make the 2nd bolt (and even 3rd bolt) very close to the previous bolt(s).

ShelfRoadNic

May 23, 2013, 2:50 PM
Post #80 of 109 (9018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So, to call the climb a redpoint you cant "stick clip" any of the bolts?

dagibbs

May 23, 2013, 2:55 PM
Post #81 of 109 (9013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ShelfRoadNic wrote:
So, to call the climb a redpoint you cant "stick clip" any of the bolts?

That's what the debate, and the poll, in this thread is about.

My personal feeling -- stick-clipping the first bolt of a sport climb still allows one to claim a red-point or on-sight of the climb. Especially since many climbs are bolted with that expectation.

jt512

May 23, 2013, 5:28 PM
Post #82 of 109 (8982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ShelfRoadNic wrote:
What is a Stick Clip?

Something I don't climb at Shelf Road without.

jomagam

May 23, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #83 of 109 (8968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ShelfRoadNic wrote:
What is a Stick Clip?

Why is Shelf special ? Been there a bunch of times and didn't think the first bolts were higher than usual, or the landing was worse, or the rock was more brittle.

jt512

May 23, 2013, 6:04 PM
Post #84 of 109 (8966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ShelfRoadNic wrote:
What is a Stick Clip?

Why is Shelf special ? Been there a bunch of times and didn't think the first bolts were higher than usual, or the landing was worse, or the rock was more brittle.

They're higher than a lot of places I climb, but I stick clip the first bolt unless I am sure that I won't fall before clipping it. Hitting the ground is never a "good landing," IMO.

ShelfRoadNic

May 23, 2013, 6:29 PM
Post #85 of 109 (8954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only climbed for 2 years, and mostly at shelf and to flash or redpoint or onsight why not just have a spotter for that first bolt. Call the climb what it is.

(This post was edited by ShelfRoadNic on May 23, 2013, 6:29 PM)

jomagam

May 23, 2013, 7:12 PM
Post #86 of 109 (8939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
They're higher than a lot of places I climb, but I stick clip the first bolt unless I am sure that I won't fall before clipping it. Hitting the ground is never a "good landing," IMO.

I associate Smith Rock with high first bolts. Barbecue The Pope for example.

jt512

May 23, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #87 of 109 (8923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

ShelfRoadNic wrote:
I have only climbed for 2 years, and mostly at shelf and to flash or redpoint or onsight why not just have a spotter for that first bolt. Call the climb what it is.

Why not just use a stick clip?

jt512

May 23, 2013, 8:06 PM
Post #88 of 109 (8922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

I associate ground falls with broken bones.

milesenoell

May 24, 2013, 3:04 AM
Post #89 of 109 (8855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

I was thinking of Smith, too. Several routes there that I wouldn't want to climb without stick clipping, but most have a long stick somewhere close so I have never had a problem with not bringing a real commercial stick clip.

(This post was edited by milesenoell on May 24, 2013, 3:44 AM)

dagibbs

May 24, 2013, 3:37 AM
Post #90 of 109 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:

I was thinking of Smith, too. Several routes there that I wouldn't want to climb without stick clipping, but most have a long stick somewhere close so I have never had a problem with not bringing a real stick clip.

I might argue that that is a "real" stick clip. A piece of stick, fixed up with a bit of climbing tape is the real thing. These modern pre-made objects with extensible poles and pre-manufactured devices for holding the 'biner. They're just substitutes for a stick & some tape.

milesenoell

May 24, 2013, 3:44 AM
Post #91 of 109 (8827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There you go.

jt512

May 24, 2013, 4:14 AM
Post #92 of 109 (8816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
milesenoell wrote:

I was thinking of Smith, too. Several routes there that I wouldn't want to climb without stick clipping, but most have a long stick somewhere close so I have never had a problem with not bringing a real stick clip.

I might argue that that is a "real" stick clip. A piece of stick, fixed up with a bit of climbing tape is the real thing. These modern pre-made objects with extensible poles and pre-manufactured devices for holding the 'biner. They're just substitutes for a stick & some tape.

Yeah, cuz real sport climbers make their stick clips the traditional way. No, wait.

granite_grrl

May 24, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #93 of 109 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
milesenoell wrote:

And I love the wads of tape left behind from these stick clips.

Honestly, if you're just happy with a pain in the ass stick at the bottom of the crag you obviously don't understand how to fully use a proper stick clip.

Partner camhead

May 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
Post #94 of 109 (8784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:

Good to know. I was just worrying that there was not enough gritty authenticity in my climbing, maybe using a branch to pre-clip that first bolt of a 5.9 will help.

kennoyce

May 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #95 of 109 (8773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Good to know. I was just worrying that there was not enough gritty authenticity in my climbing, maybe using a branch to pre-clip that first bolt of a 5.9 will help.

Woah, 5.9? I don't think most of us participating in this thread are at that elite level yet.

dagibbs

May 24, 2013, 2:05 PM
Post #96 of 109 (8752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
milesenoell wrote:

Honestly, if you're just happy with a pain in the ass stick at the bottom of the crag you obviously don't understand how to fully use a proper stick clip.

I've got an extendible painter's pole with a commercial stick-clip attachment at the end. I was very happy to have it with me at Rumney last weekend.

But, I started out old-school with a stick and tape. Though, I never left the wads of tape behind.

donald949

May 24, 2013, 3:57 PM
Post #97 of 109 (8728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
milesenoell wrote:

I've got an extendible painter's pole with a commercial stick-clip attachment at the end. I was very happy to have it with me at Rumney last weekend.

But, I started out old-school with a stick and tape. Though, I never left the wads of tape behind.
Then your not doing it right. More Trash FTW!

Now having reread this little thread, I realize a stick clip is exactly what I needed last fall. No pun intended. I had never passed up a climb before for the want of a stick, but yea, the LZ was a small boulder field. Plus there was a couple ledges just wide enough to flip the leader on his way down.
The bolt was a litlle higher than I'm used to, so what the longest stick clip they make?

csproul

May 24, 2013, 4:17 PM
Post #98 of 109 (8719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.

dagibbs

May 24, 2013, 4:29 PM
Post #99 of 109 (8717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
The bolt was a litlle higher than I'm used to, so what the longest stick clip they make?

From what I've seen, mostly they make a biner-holder attachment, and you supply your own pole. I've seen a variety of different things used for the poles, from tent-poles to painting poles to window-washing poles.

Trade-offs include weight, length, portability, collapsibility, rigidity, and cost.

granite_grrl

May 24, 2013, 4:40 PM
Post #100 of 109 (8712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.

I find that heavey is good because it means they're likely made of steel instead of aluminum. Al seems to have a lot more flex, which can be a real issue when you start trying to extend it out further.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook