Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4141 4142 4143 4144 4145 4146 4147 4148 4149 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

snoopy138

Oct 31, 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #103601 of 105309 (3630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Not sure yet. Having trouble figuring out a way out of here to make my flight home.

how inconvenient

It was! Have to leave today, and fly to anothe spot for a few days, then connect and get home.

I thought most countries frowned upon people coming in who didn't have a return flight home.

I have a return flight, I just didn't have an intermediate flight to make my return flight. Then they all filled up which was unexpected. So we hit another spot.

I would think most countries frown upon klownjayas entering, irregardless of return flight status.

snoopy138

Oct 31, 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #103602 of 105309 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Not sure yet. Having trouble figuring out a way out of here to make my flight home.

how inconvenient

It was! Have to leave today, and fly to anothe spot for a few days, then connect and get home.

I thought most countries frowned upon people coming in who didn't have a return flight home.

I have a return flight, I just didn't have an intermediate flight to make my return flight. Then they all filled up which was unexpected. So we hit another spot.

I am sure you are disappointed. More traveling. More climbing. Horrible!

Yep it's rough. Glad I have this ptftw to ease the pain.

was it worth the fleeting joy? I hope you get text messages over their in europe.

dr_feelgood

Nov 1, 2014, 1:24 AM
Post #103603 of 105309 (3608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

how inconvenient

was it worth the fleeting joy? I hope you get text messages over their in europe.

Strawg werk, snoppy.

caughtinside

Nov 1, 2014, 5:38 AM
Post #103604 of 105309 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

how inconvenient

Yeah I got it. Weke internet here in Plakias. Aka little riverside. Posting takes 5 minutes.

snoopy138

Nov 3, 2014, 5:13 PM
Post #103605 of 105309 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

how inconvenient

Yeah I got it. Weke internet here in Plakias. Aka little riverside. Posting takes 5 minutes.

It was wet and cold (a relative term) here this weke end, so I went to big Riverside. Fell on the 2nd warmup when my hand ripped out of a muddy hand jam at the rest. That was unpleasant. Then got a clean TR run on the Hanging by a Sartin, so figured I'd try The Ultimate. Fuck, that was hard. Some really heinous moves on that thing, made me long for the no-hard-moves endurance difficulty of the Drive-By.

carabiner96

Nov 3, 2014, 6:06 PM
Post #103606 of 105309 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weke end report! Finally got my flatirons on, climbed the third on Saturday (in costume) and all 10 pitches of the first on Sunday. The first has the scariest 5.0 traverse, it was super fun. Now I want to go back and lead all 8 pitches on the third for bragging rights.

In general I'm trying to lead more, I'm pretty much lead only in the gym and I'm easing into easy stuff outside. I just feel like such a leech when I ask someone to go climbing and don't lead anything myself, especially since it's all mental.

lena_chita

Nov 3, 2014, 6:43 PM
Post #103607 of 105309 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Weke end report! Finally got my flatirons on, climbed the third on Saturday (in costume) and all 10 pitches of the first on Sunday. The first has the scariest 5.0 traverse, it was super fun. Now I want to go back and lead all 8 pitches on the third for bragging rights.

In general I'm trying to lead more, I'm pretty much lead only in the gym and I'm easing into easy stuff outside. I just feel like such a leech when I ask someone to go climbing and don't lead anything myself, especially since it's all mental.

Butterfly wings were cool. Badass flutter-by!

And no, you are not a leech, even if you decide not to lead ever, but I am not good at pep talk right now, bc this is exactly how I feel at the moment. I was all cool with Ed setting up TRs for me, but now that he is out of commission again, it feels really weird to ask people...

granite_grrl

Nov 4, 2014, 12:36 AM
Post #103608 of 105309 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

And no, you are not a leech, even if you decide not to lead ever, but I am not good at pep talk right now, bc this is exactly how I feel at the moment. I was all cool with Ed setting up TRs for me, but now that he is out of commission again, it feels really weird to ask people...

Nathan is generally pretty good with me. If he thinks I'll have problems with a route on lead he'll often let me TR it (assuming it's not a steep route or something like that). But if it's not a good route he'll just strip the draws and we'll move onto the next one. He hates belaying me if I'll be dogging on TR though, so I won't get this kind of service on anything harder than mid 5.11.

Nothing wrong with TRing though. It's only a problem if you're getting people to climb things they don't really want to so you can TR it. I've been with people like that and it's irritating.

In your case, Lena, if I were climbing with you I'd assume you'd want to TR. When you have an injury it's nice to know you can just let go if you find a move that bothers you.

caughtinside

Nov 4, 2014, 5:26 AM
Post #103609 of 105309 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Made it home!! Crete was Swete. The two crags we hit were very different style from Big Malibu and very good. My partner managed a very last second rp of the Original route at Plakias in between rain showers before we had to pack and race to the airport. I managed a one hang on tr but ran out of time to lead because of the rain. Weather was really funny, the storm was hung up nearby but the wind was blowing sideways drops onto it from a mile away.

Spent an uncomfortable night at the airport before the long haul home.

Super fun trip! Probably the funnest sport climbing destination I have ever been to, just so many routes on perfect rock with the steep and outrageous features. Made me want to check out more euro limestone.

One of my partners put on a kneebar clinic on DNA, a famous grand grotto route. Basically got no hands at every bolt and made it look 10a.

lena_chita

Nov 4, 2014, 4:39 PM
Post #103610 of 105309 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Nathan is generally pretty good with me. If he thinks I'll have problems with a route on lead he'll often let me TR it (assuming it's not a steep route or something like that). But if it's not a good route he'll just strip the draws and we'll move onto the next one. He hates belaying me if I'll be dogging on TR though, so I won't get this kind of service on anything harder than mid 5.11.

Nothing wrong with TRing though. It's only a problem if you're getting people to climb things they don't really want to so you can TR it. I've been with people like that and it's irritating.

In your case, Lena, if I were climbing with you I'd assume you'd want to TR. When you have an injury it's nice to know you can just let go if you find a move that bothers you.

Yup. That's exactly how I was climbing the Rocktoberfedt weekend, letting go as soon as I got to a move that seemed like it would require something funky for the knee.

But see, unless people are close to me, they don't really know/think about it. It's like, oh, yeah, you had surgery? It was some time ago, wasn't it? You gotta be all recovered now, right?

LOL, god knows it feels like forever ago. But it has been only a few weeks since I started walking, and I still have a lot of "you are not allowed to do XYZ until at least December" warnings.

I've gotten a bunch of random things from people like "My brother-in-laws second cousin had knee surgery, and he was, like, walking the next day" UGH. There are different surgeries?

tripperjm

Nov 5, 2014, 4:01 PM
Post #103611 of 105309 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Yup. That's exactly how I was climbing the Rocktoberfedt weekend, letting go as soon as I got to a move that seemed like it would require something funky for the knee.

But see, unless people are close to me, they don't really know/think about it. It's like, oh, yeah, you had surgery? It was some time ago, wasn't it? You gotta be all recovered now, right?

LOL, god knows it feels like forever ago. But it has been only a few weeks since I started walking, and I still have a lot of "you are not allowed to do XYZ until at least December" warnings.

I've gotten a bunch of random things from people like "My brother-in-laws second cousin had knee surgery, and he was, like, walking the next day" UGH. There are different surgeries?

Seriously, why do you care so much, what other people think?

lena_chita

Nov 5, 2014, 4:03 PM
Post #103612 of 105309 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I think you misunderstand. It is not that i care what they think. It is that they are very much taken aback by the idea that I need a toprope. (because of what they think)

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Nov 5, 2014, 4:04 PM)

tripperjm

Nov 5, 2014, 4:28 PM
Post #103613 of 105309 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I think you misunderstand. It is not that i care what they think. It is that they are very much taken aback by the idea that I need a toprope. (because of what they think)

sighs....

Ok, so why do you care so much, 'that they are very much taken aback by the idea that (you) need a toprope'?

lena_chita

Nov 5, 2014, 4:44 PM
Post #103614 of 105309 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

Ok, so why do you care so much, 'that they are very much taken aback by the idea that (you) need a toprope'?

Because it changes who I can go climbing with. Because not everyone is O.K. with the idea of me toproping what they are planning on doing for the weekend. So they are totally fine with the idea of us climbing together when they assume that i would be climbing my own routes, and they would be working on what they want to work on. But when I mention toproping they go, uh, well.. I don't know...

Which makes sense, because they are planning to climb stuff that would be really hard for me to toprope. So they are either faced with the possibility of belaying me for a long time on a climb that I have no business being on, in the first place, or setting up routes they weren't planning on doing, just so I could climb them.

If I persist, they will probably do it, but it is am imposition. And I understand, which is why I feel weird asking.

It is a side effect of living far away from climbable rocks, having a small group of climbers, and only having limited amount of time to climb. When you can go climbing any day, it's not that big a deal to alter plans for a friend for one day. When it is a regular climbing partner that you like and you are invested in, it is not a big deal to alter plans, because, well, you probably have a long history of give-and-take. But believe it or not, the majority of climbers around here are already done for the season! So the group of likely partners is even smaller than usual.

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2014, 5:45 PM
Post #103615 of 105309 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

Because it changes who I can go climbing with. Because not everyone is O.K. with the idea of me toproping what they are planning on doing for the weekend. So they are totally fine with the idea of us climbing together when they assume that i would be climbing my own routes, and they would be working on what they want to work on. But when I mention toproping they go, uh, well.. I don't know...

Which makes sense, because they are planning to climb stuff that would be really hard for me to toprope. So they are either faced with the possibility of belaying me for a long time on a climb that I have no business being on, in the first place, or setting up routes they weren't planning on doing, just so I could climb them.

If I persist, they will probably do it, but it is am imposition. And I understand, which is why I feel weird asking.

It is a side effect of living far away from climbable rocks, having a small group of climbers, and only having limited amount of time to climb. When you can go climbing any day, it's not that big a deal to alter plans for a friend for one day. When it is a regular climbing partner that you like and you are invested in, it is not a big deal to alter plans, because, well, you probably have a long history of give-and-take. But believe it or not, the majority of climbers around here are already done for the season! So the group of likely partners is even smaller than usual.

ewe mean, climbing is not a year round endeavor where ewe live? strange. I mean, you've probably got some forming temps going on.

lena_chita

Nov 5, 2014, 7:53 PM
Post #103616 of 105309 (3387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

ewe mean, climbing is not a year round endeavor where ewe live? strange. I mean, you've probably got some forming temps going on.

No forming temps! My garden hasn't even frosted yet, i still have tomatoes ripening. Crazy

Seriously, the weather is just about perfect right now.

granite_grrl

Nov 5, 2014, 9:02 PM
Post #103617 of 105309 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

whoo-hooo!

Partner camhead

Nov 6, 2014, 12:36 AM
Post #103618 of 105309 (3363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weakend report: wait, it's wednesday.

Anyway, got pretty sick last week because my cabin does not yet have power (best told in grupe). Managed to get over it in time to run up to the Gunks for two days of perfect weather. Climbed until dark both days, and dawn til dusk yesterday (literally, we did a sunrise ascent of Disneyland, heh). Did prolly the scariest route yet of my life, a 5.12 that was definitely X. Two gear nests the whole way, with the crux right at about a 40 foot groundfall. Of course, I TR'd it once before so it doesn't count at awl.

Just got back to Dubbya Vee. My cabin still doesn't have power.

Partner camhead

Nov 6, 2014, 12:38 AM
Post #103619 of 105309 (3363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and dammit Lena, that announcement was a call for articles, not a "tell Paul what to write" thread! Madface! I'll banz ewe next time like you were on mp!!!MadMad

dr_feelgood

Nov 6, 2014, 2:11 AM
Post #103620 of 105309 (3356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

whoo-hooo!
Ice is fat above 9000' out here. PRobably getting after it this weekend.

granite_grrl

Nov 6, 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #103621 of 105309 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
tripperjm wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

sighs....

whoo-hooo!
Ice is fat above 9000' out here. PRobably getting after it this weekend.

4 more weeks till Bozeman!

granite_grrl

Nov 6, 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #103622 of 105309 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hopefully it won't be as cold out there this year as it was last year. That was just stupid.

lena_chita

Nov 6, 2014, 2:51 PM
Post #103623 of 105309 (3335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Oh, and dammit Lena, that announcement was a call for articles, not a "tell Paul what to write" thread! Madface! I'll banz ewe next time like you were on mp!!!MadMad

We can haz banzing fight? with SWORDS? Moderator light sabers? Yes, please!

Partner camhead

Nov 6, 2014, 3:05 PM
Post #103624 of 105309 (3333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:

We can haz banzing fight? with SWORDS? Moderator light sabers? Yes, please!

If this was oldskool rc.com, teh Dirvel would bust out with the Casual Encounters c___ pics right about now.

Partner camhead

Nov 6, 2014, 3:08 PM
Post #103625 of 105309 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and brief addendum to the Gunks report: ran into Mike, the slightly crazy older dude who we ran into solo-TRing at Lost City a few years back (snupe and Donny, right?). He's still strong as hell, lapping the one two face climbs all day. Sounded a bit down, as he had just had shoulder surgery and was Getting Back Into It, and his mom had just passed away. Still, I hope when I'm in my late 50s I can say forlornly, "yeah, I'm just a 5.12 climber now days."

First page Previous page 1 ... 4141 4142 4143 4144 4145 4146 4147 4148 4149 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook