Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

bvb

Jun 29, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #76 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Re: bouldering meccas.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fred nicole has yet to repeat the testpieces from 20 years ago, much less add any of his own. pfft.

bvb

Jun 29, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #77 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can sit there and call me ignorant all you like, but the fact remains: I have seen as many or more boldering areas across this continent as Curt or any of these oldskoll chuffwits and I know that Glorias, the Front Range and Woodson are NOT world class areas.

If I was a spraylord namedropper, I could list up to 4 elite and well traveled climbers who agree.

heh. good one, lox. if i was a spraylord namedropper, i could name a couple dozen "world class" -- always thought that was an idiodic term, ever since it became part of the climbing lexicon back in the early/mid 80's -- climbers who have made the pilgrimage to woodson.

but then hey, i am aspraylord namedropper!

bvb

Jun 29, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #78 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it has just been brought to my attention that lox is still tarpitted, and so he is unably to reply, rebut, agree, disagree, or respond in any way to my post.

that being the case, normally i'd just go ahead and delete it because the guy cannot zip me back with a countering thrust-and-parry, and so my post is not sporting, as he cannot punch back.

instead, i will leave it up as a monument to the evil that is tarpitting. regarding this practice, as has often been said, good men can have honest disagreements.

and good freinds of mine and i disagree on this subject. i'm a first amendment kinda guy, and if i understand correctly, folks have the option of simply filtering out ALL the posts of someone they don't want to hear from.

this being the case, my belief is that lox has been tarpitted for reasons that extend beyond the need to maintain the smooth functioning of the board, or whatever.

badphish

Jun 29, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #79 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is probably a stupid question, which is going
to get me ridiculed, but oh well...
anyway, how does someone get tarpitted, and
why??

sixter

Jun 29, 2003, 11:42 PM
Post #80 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
curt and andy,

i suspect this entire dialogue is a calculated diversion to draw attention away from the fact that neither of you guys has had the nerve to take on the most burly of all north american bouldering areas -- mount woodson, where the rock is prime, the problems high, and the landings poor.

a situation that i insist we rectify this winter. curt, you get to burn me off at glorias. andy, i have to eat your dust at the draw. it's my turn. i'll drive. heh.

Seeing that I live only 30 minutes away from Woodson, this is something I would love to see :twisted: ...I might even bring the scotch.

pbjosh

Jun 30, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #81 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The great rockclimbing.com chuff-off at Woodson. I'll even bring my flip flops so I can show you guys the beta on everything heh.

josh

curt

Jun 30, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #82 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
curt and andy,

i suspect this entire dialogue is a calculated diversion to draw attention away from the fact that neither of you guys has had the nerve to take on the most burly of all north american bouldering areas -- mount woodson, where the rock is prime, the problems high, and the landings poor.

a situation that i insist we rectify this winter. curt, you get to burn me off at glorias. andy, i have to eat your dust at the draw. it's my turn. i'll drive. heh.

Seeing that I live only 30 minutes away from Woodson, this is something I would love to see :twisted: ...I might even bring the scotch.

Hey--I'll be there. I used to live in SoCal and have bouldered at Woodson several times. Just make sure the Scotch you bring is good. Something aged in Sherry barrels for 12 or more years, say. Or, of course, anything from Islay is also acceptable. Hehe.

Curt

fieldmouse

Jun 30, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #83 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
curt and andy,

you dont have to eat my dust, you choose to. I concur that you are undoubtedly one of the finest woodson products ever to jam his tips, but at the same time, I must assert that toproping lieback seams fell out of vogue around the same time polka-dot lycra crept into it. Is it necessary that a mullet be rocked during said trip? I better start growing my hair back out and buy a bunch of one inch webbing.

tripperjm

Jun 30, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #84 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this being the case, my belief is that lox has been tarpitted for reasons that extend beyond the need to maintain the smooth functioning of the board
I have to agree with bvb. I recently, while researching an entirely different matter, ran across this post.
In reply to:
I have set Lox's tarpit setting on red. My reasons are:

1) He is continually posting confrontational BS in the bouldering forum, that have nothing to do with bouldering. I have had to move several and I can't keep up with it.
2) Most of his recent posts are personal attacks, not only on myself but on many others who post here.

I think the RC.com Admins should really decide what kind of participants they want here. Being all inclusive is of course ideal, but if one individual is driving other people from the site and making life here miserable for many of the users, the question arises as to whether the "entertainment value" of his presence is worth it.
Even NICEPORCH is far better by comparison. At least he only flames in community and has no evil intent.
And, please consider the types of people Lox is flaming on an ongoing basis. Michael Paul (a genuine California climbing legend) left the site because of him. Bob D'Antonio (who has authored 14 climbing guide books in the US) sends me constant e-mails about Lox being a jerk. And there are many similar cases including Corey Chatwin, who has won the PBC a couple of times.
Please let me know how you feel about this action. However, please also be aware that I can not continue taking my time to mod here if I am not backed up on this matter.
Curt
While I don't buy most of this crap as justification for tarpitting Lox, I'm going to have to call BS on part of it. I have known Mike Paul for more than 25 years and unless he has become a weak whining little girl in the past few years, which I can't imagine, I do not believe he left this site as a result of anything Lox wrote. Did Lox ruffle his feathers? Maybe, so what. Mike Paul is a big boy and has been there before. I've seen him dish the dirt and take some hits, just like the rest of us. Curt, if you tell me that Mike said to you that he left the site as a result of Lox I will believe you. I will be getting a hold of him to verify your claim and will encourge him to post on this subject, we'll see what happens. I do believe there are several more likely reasons/stories to why he left the site.
In reply to:
and good freinds of mine and i disagree on this subject. i'm a first amendment kinda guy, and if i understand correctly, folks have the option of simply filtering out ALL the posts of someone they don't want to hear from
Yes. I don't mean any disrespect Curt, I do disagree with this tarpitting. I don't know you well, I do like you and I hope the fact that we disagree doesn't affect that, it doesn't for me.
Oh yea topic, Woodson, If you guys actually get this old school reunion bolder showdown to happen and there is booze involved, I'll show up. I can still manage to get up a few every once in a while, if I'm lucky. HAHAHA!!!1

curt

Jun 30, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #85 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack,

I base my statement about MP on the following interaction:

In reply to:
michaelpaul posted....

Yeah, Woodson is Super Cool! But after I did the FA of "Pigpen" in Josh I thought that was it, then I did the 2nd (right after Mike Lechlinski did the FA) of "Big Bob's Big Wedge" and so on. I also really dug "Bachar Cracker" in the Valley, There was an Funky ol' shot of me on that one in Rolling Stone Mag. in '82 or so. Overall though it would have to be Woodson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shortly thereafter Lox posted......

OOOHhh...

Spray a little more for us please !!!1

It lets us know how COOL you are !!!!!111

A couple more heated exchanges between the two of them followed in this thread. It is a fact that MP has not posted to RC.com since this thread. These posts were on March 31, 2003. I guess it could be some bizarre coincidence, huh?

Curt

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 30, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #86 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C'mon now... This is getting a bit "off topic" wouldn't you say ???

There are/were several threads to discuss Tar Pitting, and even one's discussing specific users. Your "reasearch" should have taken you to those threads.

My input, even though I am not an avid boulderer:

-JTree
-Bishop
-Gunks
-Yosemite/Tuolumne

Those are some places I've been that had quality bouldering.

grandwall

Jun 30, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #87 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

come on you guys. does every thread in the bouldering forum have to end in a discussion about lox being tarpitted? 'bouldering meccas' is one of the best topics to date and it's getting ruined by this bs.

so basically this is where the tarpitting is at: in rc.com's opinion, one member (lox) was tarpitted for making questionable posts (a topic that i have no opinion on). in the process of trying to discipline this member, i'll guess and say that about 10 members are upset and are now making questionable posts. it looks like rc.com's only made the 'problem' worse.

what happened to the discussion about castle hill, new zealand being a bouldering mecca?

this sucks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: thanks for getting this thread back on topic rradam. i guess we were posting at the same time.

bobd1953

Jun 30, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #88 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
come on you guys. does every thread in the bouldering forum have to end in a discussion about lox being tarpitted? 'bouldering meccas' is one of the best topics to date and it's getting ruined by this bs.

I agree, let's stay on topic!

bobd1953

Jun 30, 2003, 7:34 PM
Post #89 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the Needles of SD. Time to pay homage. Amazing boulder problems and more than just "the Timble". The Scab Overhang, the numerous problems on the Sylvan Lake Boulder etc...

fieldmouse

Jun 30, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #90 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The fact remains that no other area in the country has the volume, quality and diversity that flagstaff (thats az, bob) has. I challenge anyone to refute this. In terms of modern bouldering, bishop may run a close second, but who wants to deal with all those people? here's another point- if quietly pulling down in nature is what you're after (as opposed to wanting an audience of gawking admirers or posing in other words) then the whole concept of a "mecca" suddenly takes upon an entirely new meaning. These days, I guess the idealized version of a mecca to most people is one that includes being around a bunch of kids in beanies screaming encouragement at oneanother.

solid

Jun 30, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #91 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hueco.

rockfax

Jul 1, 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #92 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In terms of modern bouldering, bishop may run a close second, but who wants to deal with all those people?

Try bouldering at these Bishop areas then:

the Pollen Grains
Notre Dam
Dales Camp
Bardini Boulders
Heaven
the Harry Potter Boulders
the Smolko boulders at the base of the Wheeler Crest
the Lonely Boulders
the Love Boulder
Pocketopia
the Catacombs
Royston Vasey
Jack Pot Boulders
the Catacombs
the Pinyon Walls

etc...

BTW...WTF is tarpitting and why would daft Loxy Coxy get "tarpitted" for taking the piss....Oh yeah that's right....wrong country...

Mick
www.rockfax.com

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 1, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #93 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about the Needles of SD. Time to pay homage. Amazing boulder problems and more than just "the Timble". The Scab Overhang, the numerous problems on the Sylvan Lake Boulder etc...

Been there, even TRd (yes, there are bolts for this on top) the Thimbal. 30 feet of hard as hell, with no rests anywhere on it, and sharp. Kudos to John Gill to do this well before the YDS even had double digits.

Wouldn't call this Area a "mecca" though.

fieldmouse

Jul 2, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #94 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In terms of modern bouldering, bishop may run a close second, but who wants to deal with all those people?

Try bouldering at these Bishop areas then:

the Pollen Grains
Notre Dam
Dales Camp
Bardini Boulders
Heaven
the Harry Potter Boulders
the Smolko boulders at the base of the Wheeler Crest
the Lonely Boulders
the Love Boulder
Pocketopia
the Catacombs
Royston Vasey
Jack Pot Boulders
the Catacombs
the Pinyon Walls

etc...

BTW...WTF is tarpitting and why would daft Loxy Coxy get "tarpitted" for taking the piss....Oh yeah that's right....wrong country...

Mick
www.rockfax.com

mick-first of all, thanks for that comprehensive list of places Ive never been (with the exception of the pollen grains, bardini's, heaven and the lonely boulders)--shows how much I know... second of all, tarpitting is a heavy-handed tactic employed by martinet moderators to silence those who disagree with them. this last sentence was written merely to raise the ire of a Mr. curt shannon but is somewhat true on other websites having to do with BOLDERING. tarpitting basically restricts the amount of posts per day of the tarpitted user but can also be used to promulgate martyrdom, as is the case with the young man in question.

bobd1953

Jul 2, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #95 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Been there, even TRd (yes, there are bolts for this on top) the Thimbal. 30 feet of hard as hell, with no rests anywhere on it, and sharp. Kudos to John Gill to do this well before the YDS even had double digits.

Like I said before, more to Needles bouldering than just the Timble! The way I put the ascent of the Thimble by Gill in perspective is that the rest of the world was running a 4:30 minute mile, along comes Gill and he run a sub-four minute mile. Just unbelievable!

bvb

Jul 2, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #96 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fieldmouse wrote: I must assert that toproping lieback seams fell out of vogue around the same time polka-dot lycra crept into it.

Toproping??? wtf???

We must be talking about two different areas, Andy. Woodson, along with JT, is where califonia highballing was invented. Won't be any TR's going up when we make the scene there, babe. Just you, me, curt, and any hangers-on who feel like watching the three masters ply their craft.

pbjosh...y'all better start running laps on the train now. 'cause your going along if'n ya wants to or not!

woodsonthincrackhighballs4lyfe

heh

fieldmouse

Jul 2, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #97 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
fieldmouse wrote: I must assert that toproping lieback seams fell out of vogue around the same time polka-dot lycra crept into it.

Toproping??? wtf???

We must be talking about two different areas, Andy. Woodson, along with JT, is where califonia highballing was invented. Won't be any TR's going up when we make the scene there, babe. Just you, me, curt, and any hangers-on who feel like watching the three masters ply their craft.

pbjosh...y'all better start running laps on the train now. 'cause your going along if'n ya wants to or not!

heh

jeez bob, all that b.com'ing has thinned your skin. you know as well as I do that I would never desanctify the hallowed ground that is woodson unless it was to give you the piss.

doublebicyclegaspedaldropkneeanklescum4lyfe

sixter

Jul 5, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #98 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just you, me, curt, and any hangers-on who feel like watching the three masters ply their craft.

heh

As a photographer in San Diego, I would love to watch (and photograph) 3 masters at work. As I said before I might even bring the scotch, and yes, Curt, I have been looking for 12+ year old cask aged scotch, and I don't like the prices i've seen so far, but if that is the price of admission, so be it.

bouldersdothebodygood

Jul 6, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #99 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LCC, UT rocks literaly mmmm grainite boulders

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 6, 2003, 3:15 PM
Post #100 of 111 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Like I said before, more to Needles bouldering than just the Timble! The way I put the ascent of the Thimble by Gill in perspective is that the rest of the world was running a 4:30 minute mile, along comes Gill and he run a sub-four minute mile. Just unbelievable!

Agreed 100%, especially since I have been on it, and truely got a feel for what he did.

I also sent John a PM the day before I got on it, asking him to "wish me luck". He replied with, he "was just happy they didn't blow it up to enlarge the parking area".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook