Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Oct 17, 2003, 4:08 AM
Post #26 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Gollum pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yes. Fiction is always beter than reality. So, I suppose your favorite TV shows would be cartoons then? Fair enough, I guess the lowest common denominator will prevail.

Curt

Man, relax there's no need to get snippy

I'm not getting snippy. I am only explaining why I think the original pic is superior to the altered photo in question.

Curt

karlbaba

Oct 17, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #27 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Mona Lisa would be less real than a photo of the woman who was painted, but it would still be art.

New expressions of art always are slow to be accepted. There are traditonalists in Art just like in Climbing.

Even the rendition of Gollum that was used is a kind of art. There's a lot of creativity that goes into movies and even cartoons. I have friends working at Pixar, Disney and similar places. The medium doesn't define the creative spirit. If I'm in the right location at the right time, it doesn't mean I'm a great photographer.

Peace

karl

extremist4life

Oct 17, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #28 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's an awesome pic, it's on my desktop now! Great job editing that, it looks so real!

curt

Oct 17, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #29 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Mona Lisa would be less real than a photo of the woman who was painted, but it would still be art.

New expressions of art always are slow to be accepted. There are traditonalists in Art just like in Climbing.

Even the rendition of Gollum that was used is a kind of art. There's a lot of creativity that goes into movies and even cartoons. I have friends working at Pixar, Disney and similar places. The medium doesn't define the creative spirit. If I'm in the right location at the right time, it doesn't mean I'm a great photographer.

Peace

karl

In reply to:
And it is still considered to be a masterpiece of art. Of course, that may be, in part because a photo of the same woman was not possible in DaVinci's time.

Curt

Partner sauron

Oct 17, 2003, 5:15 AM
Post #30 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I really don't care for that picture. Or, at least, I don't think it should be on the front page. I do think the original of kole is great, though.

Heh, I'm with Curt on this one.

- d.

soma

Oct 17, 2003, 5:25 AM
Post #31 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes. Fiction is always beter than reality. So, I suppose your favorite TV shows would be cartoons then? Fair enough, I guess the lowest common denominator will prevail.

Curt

I thought truth was always stranger than fiction.

Dave

sancho

Oct 17, 2003, 5:42 AM
Post #32 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Homer Simpson next!

Please....

pico23

Oct 17, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #33 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

For people with graphic design and/or photoshop knowledge, is this as great of a creation as the majority of us seem to think it is? Photographers, artists? Whaddya think? And people who aren't professionals or artists, just People Who Like Cool Pics, why do you like it so much?

Discuss :)

Quite honestly I think it shouldn't be on the front page:

1) Its a great piece of photoshopping

2) I hate the term "I'll just photoshop it" so take that for what it's worth.

Is it neat? Yeah. Is it amazing? Not really. It's just another digital image to fall into the depths of nowheredom. The neat thing about computers is they'll opened areas like graphic design, film making and special effects to everyone but in a sense that stuff has also lost some of the splendor that it had in the old days. Now stuff like that photo are almost expected. I might be in the minority but I'm well past the stage of being awed by digital manipulations.

pico23

Oct 17, 2003, 5:54 AM
Post #34 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's outstanding work and, in my opinion, takes as much skill and artistry as much of the finer photography on the site. Ansel Adams said the hardest and longest work was in the darkroom, not the field

Not only is the creature technically excellent, but it took vision to choose the character in the first place. He really does look like a dirtbag climber!

I'm totally impressed. I'd love to hear about the whole process.

Peace

karl

Ansel Adams shot black and white and anyone who knows a thing about B&W knows that the photo can be greatly influenced by the developement and more importantly printing. This fact has been lost on the C-41 and digital age photographers.

With that in mind it should be noted Ansels photos were both an interpertation and a documentation. But his photos were not manipulated beyond the development/printing process.

What we have here is a battle between the purist and the new age photographers/artist. I've always been a purist when it comes to most things and photography is no exception. filters, cropping and in camera multiple exposures are the only things I find acceptable in photography. And those that feel the same way will not like the photograph while those that frequently utter the term "I'll just photoshop it" will more than likely be impressed.

slablizard

Oct 17, 2003, 6:09 AM
Post #35 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I love cartoons. Cartoons are part of the world of fantasy. That, is extremely important.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

Man, relax there's no need to get snippy

karlbaba

Oct 17, 2003, 7:30 AM
Post #36 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's outstanding work and, in my opinion, takes as much skill and artistry as much of the finer photography on the site. Ansel Adams said the hardest and longest work was in the darkroom, not the field

Not only is the creature technically excellent, but it took vision to choose the character in the first place. He really does look like a dirtbag climber!

I'm totally impressed. I'd love to hear about the whole process.

Peace

karl

In reply to:
Ansel Adams shot black and white and anyone who knows a thing about B&W knows that the photo can be greatly influenced by the developement and more importantly printing. This fact has been lost on the C-41 and digital age photographers.

With that in mind it should be noted Ansels photos were both an interpertation and a documentation. But his photos were not manipulated beyond the development/printing process.

What we have here is a battle between the purist and the new age photographers/artist. I've always been a purist when it comes to most things and photography is no exception. filters, cropping and in camera multiple exposures are the only things I find acceptable in photography. And those that feel the same way will not like the photograph while those that frequently utter the term "I'll just photoshop it" will more than likely be impressed.

I don't get how in-camera multiple exposures, filters and whatnot are so much more acceptable than the usual photoshop procedures. Ansel Adams went further than your acceptable means by dodging and burning specific areas of the paper while printing. Black and white doesn't look any more like reality than other artistic interpretations.

It's all relative. Photography has often been denied "Art" status by art purists. What does it all boil down to..EGO! We want to reserve credibility for what we do and feel threatened by change.

Now this Gollum picture is obviously not being portrayed as evidence of wierd creatures who can climb cracks. It's it's own thing. Take it as a spice of life, not something that is going to take over the world of climbing photography.

We worry that Photoshop is going to make us lose touch with reality but it's all in our intent. Reality has never been what we're looking at. They had edited Lenin out of pictures with Stalin long before photoshop. All around us are spectrums of light and energy that we can't see with our eyes. We are living in the illusion that the testimony of our senses is accurate when an objective study would prove it severely limited. There is no way to be sure that red looks the same to me as it does to you. We can't even imagine what a color that we have never seen could look like.

But, unless I'm going for an artistic effect, I usually digitally edit my photos to look more like what I saw in reality than the camera actually captured.

Peace

Karl

scottcody

Oct 17, 2003, 7:51 AM
Post #37 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: wow... I think people are getting a little to worked up... time to go to bed kiddies.
How many times do we see suggestions for color correction, focus adjustments and what not, in the comment section of photos. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of Jörg's sport climbing pics, yeah they are nice, composed well, and bla bla. I would like to see more creative pics and images. And the fact that the photo still has a rating of 9.7 shows that other people are feeling similarly.

So get a grip curt

chingas

Oct 17, 2003, 8:34 AM
Post #38 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

For people with graphic design and/or photoshop knowledge, is this as great of a creation as the majority of us seem to think it is? Photographers, artists? Whaddya think? And people who aren't professionals or artists, just People Who Like Cool Pics, why do you like it so much?

Quite honestly I think it shouldn't be on the front page:

1) Its a great piece of photoshopping

2) I hate the term "I'll just photoshop it" so take that for what it's worth.

Is it neat? Yeah. Is it amazing? Not really. It's just another digital image to fall into the depths of nowheredom. The neat thing about computers is they'll opened areas like graphic design, film making and special effects to everyone but in a sense that stuff has also lost some of the splendor that it had in the old days. Now stuff like that photo are almost expected. I might be in the minority but I'm well past the stage of being awed by digital manipulations.

The image was made in fun. People responded to image and had a good laugh. People voted. Enough high votes will get your picture on the front page.
It's a situation like this that let's me know how uptight some people can be. :wink:

joemor

Oct 17, 2003, 9:29 AM
Post #39 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any one know the url for the original gollum image... im interested to see it.....

capn_morgan

Oct 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #40 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, It would be cool to see both original images. Very nicely done. Photoshop makes this possible, but it still isnt "easy".

oh yeah.......Good Morning Never Never Land!!!!!

johnfromohio

Oct 17, 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #41 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my .02

its neat, good work,

couldnt choose it over a real photo thoug

gunther

Oct 17, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #42 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK, you all know which one I am talking about!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=18873

I personally think it's fabulous, and I don't think cryder's use of one of my pics as the base image is an influencing factor either ;)

Wait a minute.... this is a photoshop... i thought this was onw of those deleted scenes where gollum was running from himself!!!

dynoguy

Oct 17, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #43 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe everyone is getting so worked up about this. It was just a funny picture is all :P .

cthcrockclimber

Oct 17, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #44 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally i think it is a great PS job, but it is on the front page waaaay to much.

mother_sheep

Oct 17, 2003, 2:43 PM
Post #45 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm wondering it this Gollum pic is going to start a trend. If so, could you please place my head on Lynn Hill's body?

The reaction that I got from my sons, especially the youngest when I showed them the picture, was precious. My 4 year old was convinced it was real. It made him cry though because I told him that he couldn't climb w/gollum because it was fake. I wish I could find a gollum costume so I can dress up and appease the poor kid.

I like this picture for the obvious reasons. It's STRIKING! But I'm also a Lord of the Rings fan and have been ever since I was a kid. My Dad used to always say to me, "Precious. . .you're my precious." Funny how when I was a kid, I always thought Gollum was a dragon.

Anyway, great pic.

lifeguard4

Oct 17, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #46 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that it is an awsome pic, and having seen the movie makes it that much cooler.

lifeguard4

Oct 17, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #47 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that it is an awsome pic, and having seen the movie makes it that much cooler.

cryder

Oct 17, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #48 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everyone. I am the guilty party to the Gollum pic. The original intent of the Gollum composit was meant to have a concept that I felt would resonate well with the climbing community. I am quite suprised by the reaction to it, and feel it is a healthy one (an old one tho - design as art?).

As climbers, we tend to use a climbing lense as we interpret life. We look at ordinary objects and wonder what they would be like to climb. We relate to people think like we do. We look at mountains that kill, and want to roll the dice. This is quite unique to the climbing community.

In this case, we look at Gollum, who is in an entirely different context then climbing, and re-interpret him into our own paradigm. Its fun, and in some ways we see ourselves as he is. Credit is due to Tolkien for writing gollum so masterfully as to make depravity that understandable.

We live in an age where reality is challenged everyday. What we hold true and sacred is flaunted in our faces. In my industry, advertising, this kind of execution is common, and in some cases a nuiscance. We generally tolerate it though, as long as the idea comes first.

Is it Art? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it a fun idea that was never meant to be taken this seriously? Absolutely.

hugepedro

Oct 17, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #49 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think art is nothing more than human expression and interpretation. I don't think the tools or technique matter one bit, it's all about the idea and how we react to the artist's creation. Perhaps photography traditionalists are into the purity of the process as much as the end result. I don't know. I know that I see a lot of art in museums that mixes photography with other media, such as printing on fabrics, wood, metal, or other materials, or combining images with paint, and yes, digital manipulation.

Yes, this work is whimsical, but a lot of art is whimsical.

climb_plastic

Oct 17, 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #50 of 95 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It shocked me when I first saw it! It looked real and I had to look at real closely. good job!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook