Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cardboarddog

Oct 9, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #26 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Re: Spider bite [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
One of my friends got bit this summer in conneticut. She didn't go to the dr right away either. She waited three days before she realized that she had to go. Her bite was on her buttocks. It was still pretty bad.

Do you know how long it took for the thing to heal?

bhudda

Oct 9, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #27 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you get the spider bite while soloing that 5.3 you were talking about in that other thread you posted?

lilcapntravis

Oct 9, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #28 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's an antibiotic that works well for abcesses. We used to prescribe it to cats who had big ass sores from getting into fights

gross. i hate ass sores on cats. especially the big ones.

pinnaclechick

Oct 9, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #29 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugh, went straight to day 10. Bleh..

:?

boulderpaul

Oct 10, 2003, 6:47 PM
Post #30 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow tenn_dawg i have a very weird taste in my mouth due to the 9th and 10th days...

gretchino

Oct 10, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #31 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bleck is right....ick ick ick

mega

Oct 10, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #32 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few months back I got chigger bites at the Gunks - apparently not all that uncommon there. At first they seemed like mosquito bites, but they got infected. Some antibiotics killed it, but around there, if you are hiking down after a climb, be careful not to walk in the grass.

climblarge

Oct 10, 2003, 9:35 PM
Post #33 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

teen_dawg pics are sick. did that person wind up loosing their thumb? I would definatly see a doc asap.

cardboarddog

Oct 10, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #34 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
keep us posted on the healing stage... we want to know if you go van gogh... just kidding, hope it heals well...

Not a problem. Since my ear is already starting to get better I'm going to assume I was bitten by a Yellow Sac spider. No where near as bad as a Brown Recluse but still not fun. Here's a link if you want to know what to look for. These spiders account for probably 80% of spider bites on the east coast and are known to bite without provocation. Not trying to freak anyone out, but be wary if you see one.

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/yellosac.html

wc

Oct 10, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #35 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go to the doctor and ask to be put on dioxicillian. It is an antibiotic that reversed some of the effects of a brown recluse bite on Kary Mullis.

The bite will get MUCH worse before it gets better. I hate to scare you, but you may loose the ear.

Go to the doctor NOW.

don't believe me, here is some motivation...

Day 3
Day 4
Day 6
Day 9
Day10

It was alot of work to post all those links. Check them out, then go to the doctor.

Travis

That is crap. That is not a Brown Recluse bit, it is some kind of funky flesh eating bacteria that you can get from any little scratch. There are much worse things out there than Brown Recluse bites.

http://www.bact.wisc.edu:81/ScienceEd/stories/storyReader$89

here is an interesting quote from the above article "some are speculating that it is on the rise due to pain relievers called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen"

http://www.emedicine.com/...161416Untitled-5.jpg

granitegod

Oct 12, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #36 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an ER nurse, here's my 2 cents:

a.) If it's red, swollen, and hurts..... see a doctor.....whether it's your ear, your belly button, or your penis, or your armpit where you shoot up.

b.) It may not have been a spider at all. I read recently in a textbook in the ER, that many spider bites are misdiagnosed....simply because someone says they were bitten by a spider. Regardless, unless you show symptoms of envenomation......you just may need treatment for an infection.....antibiotics. But depending on the severity, you may need an IV dose or two to get the infection under control. Blood tests may need to be done (blood count, smear, culture)......depends on what it looks like, when it happenned and how sick you look in general.

deadpointman

Oct 12, 2003, 9:45 AM
Post #37 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Go to the doctor and ask to be put on dioxicillian. It is an antibiotic that reversed some of the effects of a brown recluse bite on Kary Mullis.

The bite will get MUCH worse before it gets better. I hate to scare you, but you may loose the ear.

Go to the doctor NOW.

don't believe me, here is some motivation...

Day 3
Day 4
Day 6
Day 9
Day10

It was alot of work to post all those links. Check them out, then go to the doctor.

Travis

That is crap. That is not a Brown Recluse bit, it is some kind of funky flesh eating bacteria that you can get from any little scratch. There are much worse things out there than Brown Recluse bites.

http://www.bact.wisc.edu:81/ScienceEd/stories/storyReader$89

here is an interesting quote from the above article "some are speculating that it is on the rise due to pain relievers called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen"

http://www.emedicine.com/...161416Untitled-5.jpg

Their may be worse things than Brown Recluse bites out there, but there are also a lot of less f***ed-up things than Brown Recluse bites out their. Their venom is a cytotoxin and can cause some pretty awful tissue necrosis.

bumblesbounce

Oct 13, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #38 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go the doctors... there are Brown Recluse's Maine, so there are in Penn. I got bit by a one them in Maine and even afta a couple of hours it's nasty... as ten dawg showed us. Oh, and for me it wasn't the dcillin... I had some other non cillin family thingie. After all the anti dotes and anti vitims I've ever seen.

lookaughtbelow

Oct 13, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #39 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where aer these spiders native to? any in europe? that looks TERRIFYING to say the least. ick i hate spiders :x

tenn_dawg

Oct 13, 2003, 3:40 PM
Post #40 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

WC,

Please don't start a response to me with, "That is crap."

"Funky Flesh eating bacteria"? OH really! Is that your scientific diagnosis? You are so misinformed and ignorant that I am not even going to waste the time...

Travis

overlord

Oct 13, 2003, 7:21 PM
Post #41 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where aer these spiders native to? any in europe? that looks TERRIFYING to say the least. ick i hate spiders :x

in europe the only really dangerous spider is the black widov, native to dry and warm mediterran area. there have been numerous bites this year on croatian coast (6 i believe, thats about 3 times the average) so there was a kind of panic. but since youre from deutchland, you dont have to worry about that. it is extremely rare even in slovenian carst and coastal region. i dont know about the southern france, spain or italy, but i would assume it lives there too.

and its not such a great deal, a healthy adult can get through it without medical attention, but can be lethal to children and eldery. even of youre a healthy adult, its advisable to see a doctor. and dont worry, youll probably never get bitten.

fear

Oct 13, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #42 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="deadpointman"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
Go to the

Travis

Ummmm... Yea it is some kind of localized cytotoxin, perhaps a brown recluse. Your "flesh eating bacteria" theory would have left our patient quite dead long before 6 days was over.

There are other spiders too in the Gunks region with less potent but still nasty bites. A lot depends on the unique reaction of the individual who gets bitten, and the spider that did the biting(how much venom introduced, where on the patient, etc)

-Fear

cardboarddog

Oct 13, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #43 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="fear"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Go to the

Travis

Ummmm... Yea it is some kind of localized cytotoxin, perhaps a brown recluse. Your "flesh eating bacteria" theory would have left our patient quite dead long before 6 days was over.

There are other spiders too in the Gunks region with less potent but still nasty bites. A lot depends on the unique reaction of the individual who gets bitten, and the spider that did the biting(how much venom introduced, where on the patient, etc)

-Fear

I'm pretty much 99% positive it was a reaction to Necrotoxins you'd find in venomous spiders. All the symptoms matched.

There are really only 6 venomous spiders in the United States, (technically they are all venomous but only six will cause a reaction in humans). If I was bitten by a Recluse or a Hobo spider, I got off easy. Like you said, it definitely depends on how much venom the spider actually injects. Unlike the Black widow, the Recluse and the Hobo spider have alot of control over how much venom they choose to inject.

sandbag

Oct 18, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #44 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow T4 all the way, suck all of you in big time
http://www.snopes.com/photos/brownrecluse.asp

enigma

Oct 18, 2003, 6:59 AM
Post #45 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last week I got bit by a spider on my ankle area. It was and still is terribly itchy. Even with cleaning and using hydrogen perioxide it still became infected. The skin is hard around the area affected. Luckily I have been taking antibotics for a tooth-ache during the same duration.
While it is not completely healed it is Not getting worse, except its hard to resist scratching.

I hate Spiders too
:!:

jono

Oct 18, 2003, 7:33 AM
Post #46 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spiders creep me out. when i lived in kansas those things(brown recluses) infested a lot of houses but not mine thank god. all we got here in WA are those hobo spiders but ive never been biten. Ive seen some bad scars from those recluse bites and tenn_dawgs pictures are not the worst. i think that dude was thinking of staph infection(spelling?) the flesh eating bacteria.
and about those big spiders in the gunks or whatever, go to south/central america. the spiders there look like monsters, with horns and all kinds of shizz. ewww creeps me out...

jackwhite

Oct 19, 2003, 2:04 PM
Post #47 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You really have to go out of your way to get a Brown Recluse to bite you, as they are non-aggressive to the point of timidity and ... well... reclusive. Direct physical contact will do it, though, like rolling over on one in bed or grabbing one inadvertently when throwing another log on the fire. Early synmptoms occur a few hours after the bite - nervousness and restlessness, chills, aches, nausea and fever. The degree of tissue necrosis varies according to the sensitivity of the individual, and severity to the degree of some of the posted photos in this forum is extremely rare (though not unheard of). Renal failure also results in a small number of incidents. There is to this day no effective anti-venom, but experiments using dapsone, commonly used in the treatment of leprosy because of its leukocyte limiting properies, have shown promise in limiting the extent of the tissue necrosis.

pranaguy

Oct 20, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #48 of 48 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is not a Brown Recluse bit, it is some kind of funky flesh eating bacteria that you can get from any little scratch. There are much worse things out there than Brown Recluse bites.

For sure there is... Didn't any of you see our own Mike Reardon's masterpiece Cabin Fever??

-Matt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook