Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

puppypower

Nov 20, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

meeting new climbing partners, safe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright, this MIGHT seem a little paranoid (I am new at this!) but wanted to get your input. So I've posted to look for new climbing partners and as a female, I was wondering if you guys feel safe to just meet whoever wherever (especially if you meet at a more public place but then end up in some remote area to climb), especially cuz they're mostly guys... Thanks!

robmcc

Nov 20, 2003, 6:54 PM
Post #2 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Re: meeting new climbing partners, safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd encourage you to be careful. I don't know of any horror stories personally, but I always try to make it possible for a "safe" meeting beforehand (local gym) and outdoor trips are generally with a group. I was somewhat sensitized to this particular issue by a young woman I once climbed with who would never go climbing with me unless her 2 male partners were also going. I don't know if she felt it was a safety issue or they were just really good friends. Whatever. I didn't ask. Anyway, it's a reasonable concern.

Not too long a woman joined my partner and I for a day trip, which went fine, but on the subsequent trip my partner had to back out at the last minute. Rather than make her decide based on (imo) insufficient information whether I was "safe" or not, I just suggested she invite some other people along. She did, quite possibly never realizing why I made that suggestion. I guess she'll know when she reads this. :lol: I think I'm well into the "safe" camp now.

I'd say that most climbers (and most people) are decent and safe in such a situation, but you never really know. I'd be suspicious of anyone who resists you arranging a "safe" meeting beforehand, but then I'm paranoid, too.

Rob

jt512

Nov 20, 2003, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Alright, this MIGHT seem a little paranoid (I am new at this!) but wanted to get your input. So I've posted to look for new climbing partners and as a female, I was wondering if you guys feel safe to just meet whoever wherever (especially if you meet at a more public place but then end up in some remote area to climb), especially cuz they're mostly guys... Thanks!

You live in SoCal, right? It seems to me that the easiest and safest way to meet climbing partners is at one of our many local gyms. If you do hook up with a partner online, make your first climbing "trip" or 2 together to the gym. That way you can evaluate each other in a relatively safe environment before venturing outdoors together.

-Jay

kimmyt

Nov 20, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #4 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There's nothing paranoid about taking responsibility for your own safety. I'm basically in the same situation as you. I just started climbing and wanted to find people to climb with. This website turned out to be a pretty good tool for finding those people. It just so happens that I'm a chick and practically everyone who I climb with is a guy. It's a ratio thing I guess.

My first 'date' with a partner from this website took place in the GUnks, not as crowded as a gym but at the time I went (weekend, early fall) crowded enough that there would be plenty of people around. While I felt sure nothing would happen after having several conversations via PM with this person, I still took several precautions. I brought my cell phone with me. I left my mother specific directions as to where I was going, and I gave her the guy's cell phone number I was climbing with. I also took time throughout the day to call her when I got in areas with service. I first called her directly after I'd met him at a busy area. Most people carry bad-guy vibes, and the minute I met the guy I was climbing with, I knew he was a good person. I called her to tell her that I was okay, and after that called her every two hours or so whenever I got to the ridge where I had signals.

Besides that, I've met several people from the website, mostly at gyms. I went to an RC.com gathering where I met a lot of people, a couple of whom I've climbed with. I'd recommend going to one of those if one happens to pop up in your neck of the woods. It's a great way to get to know people in a large group. Also, once you start to meet people, they can give you character references. For instance, if I knew some people from the website had climbed with an individual before, I'd feel more trusting towards that person.

So basically my advice is this: Don't just go off into the woods with some guy you haven't met before. Also, trust your instinct. If you get a bad vibe from someone, even if it's over PM or email, trust it. And there's no such thing as too much precaution. Meet in a public place, do the cell phone thing, climb at a gym before heading out into the back country.

And don't be afraid to ask a guy who wants to climb with you if they've ever climbed with anyone from the site before. If someone just shows up out of nowhere and says they want to climb with you, it's okay to be distrustful. Not only are you trusting that person to not physically harm you in any way, you're trusting that that person knows what he's doing climbing. I've heard some nasty stories about people saying they knew more than they did.

Overall, I've ahd nothing but good experiences with the people from thsi site. That's not to say nothing bad will ever happen. Good luck with your quest for partners, and note that all of the above is my opinion, and other people may have differing opinions.

K.

gravitytheory

Nov 20, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #5 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In short, no. Never meet anyone in person that you meet on the internet.

krestkid

Nov 20, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #6 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went climbing with someone I met on rc.com...he was very cool. I did joke all the way to the rock that he had a good place to hide dead bodies. I agree it is a bit scary, before I left I made sure people knew where I was going and left my cell-phone number (even though I had no reception) and gave them the guys address and phone number. I was home later than I thought and my family did get worried and called his house. Make sure people know...Be smart...we met somewhere public and I told myself if he looked too scary (or I felt awkward) then I would just leave. Hope everything goes well...

robmcc

Nov 20, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #7 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So basically my advice is this: Don't just go off into the woods with some guy you haven't met before. Also, trust your instinct. If you get a bad vibe from someone, even if it's over PM or email, trust it.

Don't trust it TOO much. I hear Ted Bundy (serial killer) was a real charmer.

Then there's me, probably one of the safest people you could ever climb with (IMHO). I don't warm up to people terribly quickly, so your initial "vibe" might be rather different than it would later.

I think leaving the guys info with others and subtlely making sure he knows this is a good idea. Whether or not he looks scary isn't going to get you anything other than acccosted by only non-scary looking men.

The reference idea is good, too, but only really useful if you can trace back to a person you know in real life. For example, I could point you to a couple members on this site who know me, but if you don't know them, how do you know they aren't really me? You don't.

krestkid

Nov 20, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just saying if for any reason you do feel comfortable then leave. I agree make sure there is some way for people to trace things back...it helped that he lived a few minutes from where I did...and the climbing place was not too far. Be careful!

maculated

Nov 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So basically my advice is this: Don't just go off into the woods with some guy you haven't met before. Also, trust your instinct. If you get a bad vibe from someone, even if it's over PM or email, trust it. And there's no such thing as too much precaution.

Good advice. My friends all know me as the Internet queen (haven't done that nasty Internet dating thing) and ALL of my climbing partners in the past year or so have come off of this site in one form or another.

I have bailed on a few people because I didn't think I liked their phone vibe, I have bailed after a few sessions because I didn't like their real vibe.

That said, if you're smart about it and fortunate to meet people who are well established in their community (or RC.com), then you have a decent bet you'll be okay. I've never had a bad experience with anyone I chose to climb with yet. But then again, I'm also a fairly trusting soul.

iamthewallress

Nov 21, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #10 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many of my friends and partners are folks for whom the initial connection was through the internet. On average, I'd say it's a great way to meet people. I've had some less than great experiences too. A few times otherwise great folks have misrepresented themselves. This is more of a problem of safety when you are just starting out. I'd advise paying for some instruction or at least reading everything that you can get your hands on, so that you'll have more of an idea if the person "taking" you climbing knows what's up. I've had a couple of experiences with weird guys looking for a bit more than a climb who didn't take the hint easily, but nothing that ever felt especially dangerous in that way though.

puppypower

Nov 21, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #11 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the input. Wanted to see what other people's experience has been in meeting people through this.

I think I'm pretty trusting too (being Canadian and all :lol: ). But seriously though, I was thinking about that cuz you do end up in pretty remote areas and such with pretty much strangers.

Yeah, I think the best thing is to leave as much info with family/friends, and if there are others who know the person I'm planning to climb with (but difficult cuz I haven't met/climbed with anyone from here before, so who's word do you take?).

And the good/bad vibes thing (and yes, the great Bundy example, you never know... ). The whole gut instinct thing.

Thanks a bunch people!

iamthewallress

Nov 21, 2003, 12:36 AM
Post #12 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once you're around for a while both climbing w/ real life folks and on the internet, you'll meet people w/ whom you share mutual friends. I've headed into the bc with these folks without worry more than once. I sort of figure that if they were psycho my other friends wouldn't climb with them. It's worked OK so far.

moabbeth

Nov 21, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #13 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes, you're paranoid. I make it a point to climb only with strangers and people I cruise the net for. I also like to pick up hitchhikers on my many long road trips to keep me company. You meet the most interesting people that way. :P

diana

Nov 21, 2003, 2:58 AM
Post #14 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not too long a woman joined my partner and I for a day trip, which went fine, but on the subsequent trip my partner had to back out at the last minute. Rather than make her decide based on (imo) insufficient information whether I was "safe" or not, I just suggested she invite some other people along. She did, quite possibly never realizing why I made that suggestion. I guess she'll know when she reads this. :lol: I think I'm well into the "safe" camp now.

Nope, I had no idea that's why I was supposed to invite people. :lol: But in response to puppypower, tell people who you're climbing with. And I do recommend taking someone you know with you, if for no other reason than to make sure that the new guy really can belay! "No, no, please, you go first."

robmcc

Nov 21, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #15 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nope, I had no idea that's why I was supposed to invite people.

It would hardly have been a good idea for me to plant the idea that I might a less than savory character, would it? I did, after all, want you to go, so I just provided a solution in case you perceived a problem. Sneaky, ain't I. :twisted:

A little word of warning to anyone similarly inclined. Make sure when you suggest inviting someone, you emphasize that someone and somefour are different things. :P Or at least be prepared to quote guide rates for small groups.

alpinelynx

Nov 21, 2003, 4:54 AM
Post #16 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In short, no. Never meet anyone in person that you meet on the internet.

sorry, I totally disagree. I have had a lot of fun climbing with people I've met via the internet, men and women.

roseraie

Nov 21, 2003, 6:05 AM
Post #17 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When climbing with someone I don't know well, I usually take my own car, or at least make sure I drive. It can eliminate potential shitty situations (i.e., "put out or I'm leaving you here")... a situation I know women who have been in.

Good luck. In general, the people I have met off this site have been really cool and have taught me tons. Also, the whole "20something female" angle ISN'T going to get you the kind of partners you want. Even if you mean it sarcastically, you might want to watch that. Sarcasm and the internet don't mix well.

Meg

maculated

Nov 21, 2003, 6:39 AM
Post #18 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. Where's that post about the ideal climbing partner that guy was looking for? He actually PMd me after I made a sarcastic post.

granite_grrl

Nov 21, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the moving around that I've done over the past couple of years I've met a lot of people from the internet to go climbing with. Most have been really great people, some I didn't really get along with, and I haven't met any that I got that nasty vibe from (gotten a couple emails I didn't like, never replyed to those).

With that said I've also always left the name, phone number and email address of the person I'm going climbing with with someone I trust.

This winter I'll be travelling and I'm going to try to line up partners through this site. I've already been in email contact with a couple of people who seem pretty cool. But again I want to talk on the phone with them and meet them in a public place before I head back to the crags with them or give them a lift any where. I'm a little worried about meeting weirdos off the internet, but at the same time I've found this site a good way to find partners in a new place.

puppypower

Nov 21, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #20 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, the whole "20something female" angle ISN'T going to get you the kind of partners you want. Even if you mean it sarcastically, you might want to watch that. Sarcasm and the internet don't mix well.

Meg

Just that seeing the posts here, people seem pretty sarcastic (jaded/bitter?) and can take a joke... (I'm hoping/assuming that people are kidding/joking :roll: ).

hyhuu

Nov 21, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #21 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 2 cents. This poses an interesting issue. Climbers are different breed and any climbers out there have hold his or her partner's life in their hands countless number of times and vice versa. So the question of personal safety in traditional sense (i.e. violent crimes) prob doesn't apply that well here. Question of safety would prob be more appropriate directting at the level of competency of the stranger as a belayer and perhaps self-rescue ability. Appearance wise, aren't most of us kinda weird anyway? Climb on.

kimmyt

Nov 21, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #22 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speak for yourself. I'm perfectly normal. At least that's what my mom always told me when I asked her why all the kids on the playground looked at me funny......

:?

K.

roseraie

Nov 21, 2003, 8:03 PM
Post #23 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just that seeing the posts here, people seem pretty sarcastic (jaded/bitter?) and can take a joke... (I'm hoping/assuming that people are kidding/joking :roll: ).

Yeah, the people who post regularly probably "get" your sarcasm, but there are thousands of users here, and, as maculated's example proves, there will definitely be guys who think you're calling out to them to teach you to climb and, ahem, other things. I've gotten those messages too.

Just be picky who you meet off the internet, and be careful. I e-mailed with a guy I climbed with off this site for upwards of two months, and it turned out very well. BE PICKY, AND CAREFUL! Good luck.

Meg

the_pirate

Nov 21, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #24 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The internet is great.

I meet all my victims, err.....um, partners here..... :lol:

robmcc

Nov 21, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #25 of 41 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, the people who post regularly probably "get" your sarcasm, but there are thousands of users here, and, as maculated's example proves, there will definitely be guys who think you're calling out to them to teach you to climb and, ahem, other things. I've gotten those messages too.

Why do I never get those messages?!?

Anybody out there want to teach me to climb and, ahem, other things? Guys need not apply.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook