Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

slobmonster

Nov 21, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #51 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Re: shoe - "hot water treatment"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you ski?

For years I was under the impression that ski boots needed to be tight. Like T-I-G-H-T tight, Lange pink panther tight, so damned tight that my feet were white when I took them out... up to the KNEE. I'd go hit gates, grit my teeth, you know the drill, and then on the bus I'd take my boots off and scream bloody murder on the inside, and only let Mister Stoic and his butler Calm come out to play.

Footwear does NOT need to be this tight. (For this and several other reasons I now ski on tele gear, but that's a different story...)

You have your rock boots. Suck it up for a while, they will stretch. If it was summer, and you were climbing outside, you might be sweating inside them.

But, unfortunately, you would not need to do this whole:
"Get them wet" then
"NO, not hot water" then
"ASK THE INTERNET!" then
"Watch the fight!"
Thing.

They might stretch. You may get used to it. But if neither meets with your approval, then split it down the middle, sell your shoes on Ebay (or use the "used gear" forum here on RC.com), and get some shoes that fit... better.

My personal advice, to a beginner: fit your shoes so your toes can't wiggle, at all. They should be packed together like nice, comfy sardines. However, your toes do not need to curl up in a frightening manner... with this in mind I'd suggest going for a nice, cheap pair of shoes, with a shape that doesn't force your toes to turn downward in an unnatural fashion. Unfortunately, the whole Anasazi line (except the Moccasym) tends to do this. Go for something simpler, beat them to hell over time, and when you're ready to buy new shoes you'll probably already know what you want.

Cheers!

saltamonte

Nov 21, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #52 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't read every post but the first page didn't answer your leather treatment questions leather when wet if stretched will stretch but if wet and allowed to dry while not being stretched will shrink that is the character of leather. So if you want to stretch your shoe you would get it soaking wet and wear it untill it was dry. if you wanted to shrink it you would get it soaking wet and set it in your closet. I have never done either I just know that is how leather behaves. as for the leather getting stiff depends on how it was tanned.

as for shoe size. I bought my shoes snug and comfortable with nearly no pain at all I find that 5.11s are usually easier in someone else's smaller shoes. every one I have personally seen climb 5.13s had shoes so tight some of them even took them off before the belayer had let them down. but I agree that beginners should buy something snug yet comfortable. It will be a while before you really need to get painfully small shoes

climballnight

Nov 21, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #53 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt you'd want to do this, but it's tried and true:
Wait till the next rain/hail storm at Tahquitz and go climb. After one pitch, bail off, and hike all the way back to your car in your climbing shoes. By the time you are able to walk again, your shoes will be 1/2 to one full size larger. (A friend of mine did this, ah that sucked.)

:wink:

lofstromc

Sep 3, 2005, 4:05 AM
Post #54 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't read every post. Sorry!

My advice is don't buy black climbing shoes!!!! :evil: :twisted:
They get so hot when the sun is out that your ties will actually get blisters. (hot climates).

jelliott

Sep 3, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #55 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I doubt you'd want to do this, but it's tried and true:
Wait till the next rain/hail storm at Tahquitz and go climb. After one pitch, bail off, and hike all the way back to your car in your climbing shoes. By the time you are able to walk again, your shoes will be 1/2 to one full size larger. (A friend of mine did this, ah that sucked.)

:wink:

This advice is GRRRRREEEAAATTTTT..... :lol: :wink: either walk-off is probably good enough though :wink:

livingtheedge

Sep 3, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #56 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW WAY TO DIG DEEP GUYS. If you didnt notice (and it is apparent that you didnt) this thread is two years old and needs to be laid back to rest. PLEASE LET THIS DIE AGAIN. I highly doubt that the origional poster is still needing this advice.

4togo

Sep 3, 2005, 5:29 AM
Post #57 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe not, but you just bumped it! :lol:

skinner

Sep 3, 2005, 5:35 AM
Post #58 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"hot water treatment"

Tried that with an old pair of leather double boots once,
I was told to "wear them dry".
That took about 6 days.

healyje

Sep 3, 2005, 8:59 AM
Post #59 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend that would smear his feet with vasoline, put on his shoes, and take long hot baths in them to break them in.

Don't ask...

seraphless

Sep 11, 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #60 of 60 (10243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first pair of climbing shoes, Boreal Lasers, were very small for my feet and like you said painfull. The first thing I did when I got home was put them on and soak them in HOT water. After that I wore them around watching tv or reading until they dried. I repeated this about two more times and those shoes fit like a glove. It is something I will do to all my new shoes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook