Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

monkey_toes

Nov 28, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #1 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

ATC or Gri-Gri For My Son ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went with my son to the gym today for some bouldering and top roping. Anyway afer being his belay slave for a while - we changed spots and he belayed me. I way in at 185 at the moment while my son weighs in at around 130 (also had him anchored to the floor as well). Anyway I didn't manage to make it to the top (I tweaked my back a while back and its still bothering me) during the rapell down it didn't feel as safe as normal.

Anyway - the question is should I invest in a Gri-gri ? Just wondering if this would be a safer option than the atc.

thanks

Jeff

killclimbz

Nov 28, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #2 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Re: ATC or Gri-Gri For My Son ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How old is your son? I don't think you are giving up an unreasonable amount of weight between you two. I think it boils down to the fact if you trust your son or do you think a little extra backup would be appropriate?

alpnclmbr1

Nov 28, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #3 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATC vs Grigri

As far as the unknown stranger, who may be an idiot. A grigri might offer some increase in safety.

In term of lowering a heavy climber? They are about the same. Accident patterns seem to suggest that use of the grigri results in more accidents instead of less. (with a skilled belayer, a grigri is safer)

If the weight is the main problem, consider using the xp-atc or jaws, something with an increased friction mode.

Partner ctardi

Nov 28, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Body Belay :wink:

An ATC is fine, but with more weight, he should use the small end of the 'biner for more friction. A gri-gri will make it a lot harder to lower you for him, and untill he is well used to it, there will be a higher chance of him droppin you while getting the feel for the cam with lots of weight.

sorry, cant figure out how to word that better....

monkey_toes

Nov 28, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #5 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone - my son is 18, normally I have no problems with him belaying me - but today he had more of a problem arresting me on the way back down - I like the idea of perhaps using jaws or the XP - seems to be a better compromise between a standard ATC and a gri-gri or cinch. Just looking for more security/backup while we are still gaining experience.

Jeff

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 28, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #6 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd regard it as a form of child abuse, if I taught my grandchildren to belay with a Gri-Gri.

vale, robertusPunctumPacificus

lizard0fthetrail

Nov 28, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #7 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely go for the ATC, but like mentioned prior, one with an increased friction mode. Your son will become a better and stronger belayer if he's belaying someone heavier than him ona regular basis. Also, he won't have the often false sense of security an auto locking belay device provides.

Partner j_ung

Nov 28, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #8 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you already own a standard ATC, just add a second biner right next to the first. This will create a little more friction for him.

climbingbums

Nov 28, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #9 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im younger than your son, and i do a lot of trad, sport, multi-pitch etc. with a partner that weighs considerably more than myself, probably 70 pounds. The only problem i have is that i get launched about 10 feet if he falls and we meet face to face. but i also have a gri-gri, and it sits in my closet. i used it once to jug a route, but thats most of the action its gotten. i guess it depends on wether or not you are gunna spend any time on real rock, or going to lead. if you answered yes to either of those questions get the atc. if you answered no, get the gri-gri. or just wait and see it you need it. best of luck either way.

Bobby

Partner phaedrus

Nov 29, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #10 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He should at least know how to use an ATC since they are pretty much the standard in belay devices, but for an autolocker, I'll go with the Hewbolt every time, and a Hewbolt is priced about the same as a Gri-gri. I did a review of both the Hewbolt Single and the Hewbolt Double if you are looking for more info.

mendou

Nov 29, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #11 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think either are good for your son... if he was my son i think that i would teach to use both and then i would let him decide for himself.

But it would be great that he knows how to use both :wink:

Partner climbinginchico

Nov 29, 2004, 7:11 AM
Post #12 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get an ATC-XP and load it in high friction mode. If he is anchored to the ground, you don't have to worry about the weight differential. If he can't hold you while lowering? Add a second biner to the device, in high friction mode. Still having trouble? Get a different belayer, or it might just be that you don't trust him...

changling

Nov 29, 2004, 7:30 AM
Post #13 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Working in a gym, I spend a lot of time belaying people on top-rope. Now, I weigh about 125-130 lbs and I've belayed people that tell me that they weigh up to 180-something or even more. I don't really have a problem belaying people of that weight even though the rope only goes over the top beam once (no wraps) so there is very little friction in the system.

I try to really lower my body low to the ground when I expect the person will fall and when I lower them. I find that the lower I keep my body, the less likely I am to lift off the ground, but since your gym has anchors on the ground, then lifting off shouldn't be an issue.

Now, I belay with the jaws, and I've tried using the gri-gri. After using the two I prefer the jaws, but I also have a lot more experience with the jaws rather than the gri-gri so that might affect my choice of device.

I'm not sure how your son was taught how to lower but I see a lot of people lowering the climber with only one hand on the brake end and if that is how he does it, then that might be the issue. With the gri-gri, you have no choice but to only have one hand on the brake while the other is holding the lever. I really don't like that, especially when lowering a much heavier climber because I feel there is a loss of control that way. When I use the jaws I keep both hands on the brake end and that way I have a lot more control when lowering.

If he does have both hands on the brake when lowering and it still isn't well controlled then get a device with more friction like the others have recommended. Personally, I would stay away from the gri-gri for the time being.

climballnight

Nov 29, 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #14 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATC or similar belay device definitely!

One more thing about the Gri-Gri is that when lowering you should use your right hand as a brake similar to how you would for an ATC, all the while holding the lever open. The camming action is there to catch the climber if the belayer screws up, or to free up the belayer's hands, but it'll probably be even more sketchy than your previous ATC experience if your son were to try using only the lever to lower you with.

Your son should be fine belaying you. I'm 190 and my climbing partner weighs less than your son.... sure she grips and complains if I hang on the rope a lot, but she holds me no problem, with a regular ATC or with a Reverso.

He should learn to use the ATC and get solid with it. It's a fundamental part of climbing, like alphabets soup for before you go outdoors.

- bret

climballnight

Nov 29, 2004, 7:47 AM
Post #15 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and what she said....

In reply to:
...with the gri-gri, you have no choice but to only have one hand on the brake while the other is holding the lever...

daisuke

Nov 29, 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #16 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless there is a huge weight difference, like around 80 pounds the belay device isn't going to make much of a difference, especially if you're toproping, I preffer the gri-gri when I'm belaying someone who is going to take their sweet time on a climb, or on easy climbs where there isn't going to be a big whipper, I'll never belay someone on lead with a gri-gri tho, it just isn't smooth enough to react to spur of the moment situations like a lead fall with a lot of rope out, best not to trust moving parts that are made to get stuck in a situation like that!

weigh the options (and the money) the gri-gri is a sport climber's device, the ATC is more versatile

D

perozee

Nov 29, 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #17 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh, and what she said....

changling wrote:
...with the gri-gri, you have no choice but to only have one hand on the brake while the other is holding the lever...

^ ^^^^^^^^ ^
What they said

and what J-ung said:

In reply to:
If you already own a standard ATC, just add a second biner right next to the first. This will create a little more friction for him.

cantbuymefriends

Nov 29, 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #18 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I went with my son to the gym today for some bouldering and top roping. Anyway afer being his belay slave for a while - we changed spots and he belayed me. I way in at 185 at the moment while my son weighs in at around 130 (also had him anchored to the floor as well). Anyway I didn't manage to make it to the top (I tweaked my back a while back and its still bothering me) during the rapell down it didn't feel as safe as normal.

Anyway - the question is should I invest in a Gri-gri ? Just wondering if this would be a safer option than the atc.

thanks

Jeff

Question: When you are rapelling, in what way does the weight of the belayer influence the friction in the belay device...? (Provided, of course, that he is anchored, which he was in this case.)

Of course, if he has trouble holding you, get a device with higher friction. But that has nothing to do with his weight, or the weight difference between the 2 of you. Right?

overlord

Nov 29, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #19 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if hes a beginner go with the ATC. thatll teach him how to belay properly and pay attention to the leader.

if ehs experienced and youre worried that hell get slammed into the wall and release the rope, buy a grigri. in this case it increases your security.

or you can just anchor him.

allan_thomson

Dec 3, 2004, 6:38 PM
Post #20 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the style as well. If you're climbing Trad, then a gri gri will put more force on the gear, so is best avoided. Sports is more suited to Gri Gri use. I don't do sports, and so have no gri gri experience as such, but I have heard of inexperienced people having problems using them. So personally if I had a choice (which I haven't anyway) I'd still get a newbie to use an ATC. They're much easier to use, and it teaches the user to be more attentive to the climber.

slabmaster

Dec 3, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #21 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

... another little 'trick' for all you heavyweights out there with tiny belayers...

Do a little dosy-doh before you start up. That is twist the two rope ends around eachother once (or twice if there is a serious difference in weight). The twist will appear up at the anchor.

I was just belayed last night by a -100 pounder and I'm a hefty 160 (well, 170 if I'm honest, which I'm not).

-cow

i_climb

Dec 3, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #22 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really a good idea:

In reply to:
... another little 'trick' for all you heavyweights out there with tiny belayers...

Do a little dosy-doh before you start up. That is twist the two rope ends around eachother once (or twice if there is a serious difference in weight). The twist will appear up at the anchor.

I was just belayed last night by a -100 pounder and I'm a hefty 160 (well, 170 if I'm honest, which I'm not).

-cow

I don't think you want the rope rubbing against itself like that all of the time.

allan_thomson

Dec 3, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #23 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="ctardi"]Body Belay :wink:

quote]

LOL. I think climbing wall staff would have a fit at this one!!!!

the_antoon

Dec 3, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #24 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATC...no doubt

Partner ctardi

Dec 4, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #25 of 43 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Body Belay :wink:

LOL. I think climbing wall staff would have a fit at this one!!!!

yup, hehe. After closing one day, we gave it a try, took the biggest guy, and the smallest (me) had me climb up 10 feet on a body belay...worked fine, but lots of pain for the belayer, hehe.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook