Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

adventureman

Oct 23, 2003, 4:46 PM
Post #76 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Gollum pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awesome pic! Gotta print that one out!

flechenbones

Oct 23, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #77 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed the pic although I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to photography. It was very well done. Should doctored photos be on the front page frequently? Probably not, but from time to time I think it ok.

For those of you interested in doctored photos, check out the amazing work on a variety of topics at
http://www.worth1000.com/galleries.asp

It would be cool to have one of their contests based on doctored climbing photos (or a thread with new pics here).

grigriese

Oct 23, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #78 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the Gollum pic - I liked Hillary's original. The Gollum pic makes me laugh. I am amazed at what can be done with technology.

This thread really shows how serious people take themselves as climbers. Get over it!

cryder

Oct 23, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #79 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I enjoyed the pic although I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to photography. It was very well done. Should doctored photos be on the front page frequently? Probably not, but from time to time I think it ok.

For those of you interested in doctored photos, check out the amazing work on a variety of topics at
http://www.worth1000.com/galleries.asp

It would be cool to have one of their contests based on doctored climbing photos (or a thread with new pics here).

What is central to Gollum working is not that is was technically proficient, but that there is an idea behind it people seem to relate to. In submitting Gollum, I am in no way advocating we have special sections for composit images - there are plenty of sites out there for that.

The uglier side of composit images often involves multiple sources for one image that could present legal issues. In this case, both the original photographer and the subject were very gracious in allowing the altered image to be posted (in regards to Gollums origins, they were all parts from public domain sources or origanal renderings and are legally considered parody). If this were more common, I doubt people would be as receptive to it.

Adding a competitive element these submissions would likely place emphasis on the execution, as apposed to the idea behind it. Should there be more images like Gollum? Only if they're relevant to the climbing community.

gat

Oct 23, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #80 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe people like this pic! It's all wrong. Don't believe me...look at Gollums gear selection, it's the wrong size cam. Jeeez.

flechenbones

Oct 23, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #81 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is central to Gollum working is not that is was technically proficient, but that there is an idea behind it people seem to relate to. In submitting Gollum, I am in no way advocating we have special sections for composit images - there are plenty of sites out there for that.

I agree. I merely thought that some other creative climbing pictures would be interesting to see in a thread, not a special section of rc.com.

In reply to:
Should there be more images like Gollum? Only if they're relevant to the climbing community.

My thoughts exactly.

junaid

Oct 23, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #82 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Yes. Fiction is always beter than reality. So, I suppose your favorite TV shows would be cartoons then? Fair enough, I guess the lowest common denominator will prevail.

Curt

Man, relax there's no need to get snippy

I'm not getting snippy. I am only explaining why I think the original pic is superior to the altered photo in question.

Curt

The original was a photo, a capturing of an actual event--A work of realistic art. The image was a mixture of reality and the capturing of an actual event--A work of creative art. It seems to me that your argument is that the photos section is for realistic art only. I would disagree. I think that while photos are mostly what would be of interest to the general RC user, I think the photos section should also be for images or cartoons (such as the one showing a diagram of a mean fall) that pertain to climbing and may bring enjoyment to the general RC user. However there may be something to be said for rating contributions that are not realistic art (since most is realistic art).

NOTE: "realistic art" and "creative art" may not be the correct terms (I ain't no art major) just the ones I use here for this context.

climb4life

Oct 23, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #83 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it should become a poster

faultblock

Oct 29, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #84 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw the Return of the King trailer, and there was a short scene in which Frodo was freesoloing a juggy route - maybe the producers have taken a cue from the Gollum pic...

Partner cracklover

Oct 29, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #85 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

The Gollum pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just saw the Return of the King trailer, and there was a short scene in which Frodo was freesoloing a juggy route - maybe the producers have taken a cue from the Gollum pic...

Sorry, the three films were all shot together a long time ago. All they're doing now is editing, adding music and tweaking the special effects.

For whatever it's worth, I think the pic is great. Creative, funny, and masterfully done. And just think what a great ropegun Gollum would be. Well, aside from waking up to the sound of him trying to gnaw through your portalege ropes. I can see it on bookshelves now: "The Two Trango Towers... In a Day!"

GO

kindredlion

Dec 10, 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #86 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did All of Cryders Pix Go?!?!

I am at a loss without them...

Just when I was trying to brag about the guy being RAD to the bone....

Cryder bro..

Alpine, anyday, lets do it... your place or mine...

But right now its concrete jungle time - and I need some entertainment... where are you when we need ya??

Take Air,
Adam

BTW this event has forced me out of a long time no post streak... feel honored ;) -nod and agree please ;)

ipear

Dec 11, 2004, 6:21 AM
Post #87 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can somebody repost the pics? 8^)

Partner coldclimb

Dec 11, 2004, 7:01 AM
Post #88 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fairly certain he took them offline for a reason, since the removal coincided with his decision to get into advertising more seriously... but you can always ask him yourself pretty easily. ;)

hishopper

Dec 11, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #89 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One pic that I will remember forever. I've even seen in floating around the net on other sites..

shatter

Dec 11, 2004, 9:20 AM
Post #90 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just do a search on google images for "gollum climbing" you will get tons of pics of it...

cryder

Dec 14, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #91 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - incredible to see this old thread. Brings back some memories.

In reply to:
Fairly certain he took them offline for a reason, since the removal coincided with his decision to get into advertising more seriously... but you can always ask him yourself pretty easily. ;)

Well, close but not really. I've been in the ad biz for eight years now. There were just a lot of negative feelings about the photo, and rather then join the fray I decided to pull the trigger on Gollum. There was also a usage issue by a certain magazine that was outside of my control. Some folks had also been photo bombing him and driving his rating down, and I had had enough. He's still out there running around tho. A little bird told me he was quite the hit with the folks at Weta in NZ. Made the rounds in their studio.

I have been thinking about sharing some new conceptual work lately for everyone to see... We'll see.

ropeburn

Dec 14, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #92 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cyder,
I really enjoyed your Dream series, especially the one on the Jefferson Memorial.
Keep up the creative work.

cryder

Dec 14, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #93 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks man. I think I like the urban subjects and their alpine parallels. Perhaps I will post a new series in the next couple of days.

climbsomething

Dec 14, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #94 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've even seen in floating around the net on other sites..

In reply to:
just do a search on google images for "gollum climbing" you will get tons of pics of it...

Fabulous.

Let me now state plainly I will not tolerate any more use of my photos for "creative art." Period. I don't care how rad it looks or how much of a good sport I pretend to be, or how bitchy you think I am for taking control over my own work.

cryder

Dec 14, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #95 of 95 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cryder bro.. Alpine, anyday, lets do it... your place or mine...

Cool deal. You bring the keg, I'll bring the inflatable BBQ.

In reply to:
But right now its concrete jungle time - and I need some entertainment... where are you when we need ya??

I am not alpine spider man.... hey, that gives me an ide..a....

In reply to:
BTW this event has forced me out of a long time no post streak... feel honored ;) -nod and agree please ;)

*nods in approval*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook