Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chossdog

Dec 17, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #26 of 30 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shaving Pack Weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've taken to using a Wild Things epic/primaloft half-bag in place of my down 0 degree sack on alpine projects. Paired up with the usual layers and a belay jacket seems to do the trick. This system worked well on Mt. Baker earlier this season. If conditions are wet throw in a light winter bivy/sleeping bag cover (OR or Mountain Hardware) and you're good to go. If there's a bit of snow about ditch the tent and dig a snow cave.

gunkiemike

Dec 18, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #27 of 30 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My homemade stove is light weight and burns off rubbing alcohol, it's more effective than you think. :P

Actually, it's less efficient than YOU think. Rubbing alcohol has only about half the BTUs per pound of a hydrocarbon liquid fuel. So switch to high flash, low sulfur kerosene (or the easy to find equivalent - lamp oil) and save a few more ounces.

phatcat

Dec 18, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #28 of 30 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uh...not to rub it in more, but i have had a 2-3mile approach hike, gotten there, and then realized i left some gear in my car, so i went back to go get it. it's really not that far. mabye you need a segway? :wink:

corporatedog

Dec 18, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #29 of 30 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go-lite packs????????
ARGGGGGHHHHH.

Unless your load weight is waaaay under 25 pounds (more like 15-18 max)- stay away from Go-lite IMO. The lack of meaningful frame support will trash your back inside of 4 hours on the trail.

Go-lite is great for quick assaults on 12 hour Adventure sprint races when you are already crazed from too much Cytomax and Ephedra HCl.

But for a fun day in the woods - check out Granite Gear Vapor instead. Light enough to count and will carry up to 30 pounds without killing your neck and back.

$0.02

jamaica

Dec 18, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #30 of 30 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless your load weight is waaaay under 25 pounds (more like 15-18 max)- stay away from Go-lite IMO. The lack of meaningful frame support will trash your back inside of 4 hours on the trail.

Go-lite is great for quick assaults on 12 hour Adventure sprint races when you are already crazed from too much Cytomax and Ephedra HCl.

WRONG!!! My hiking partner uses a Go-Lite and I've seen him carry up to 40lbs in one fine. Also, during the winter we usually pick 200 mile sections of trail to hike and we hike it fast, he's never had a problem with his pack at all.

3 Things to minimize weight:
tent - swap it for a tarp, it will take off a huge amount of weight
pack - get a lightweight pack, 2lbs perferably, 3lbs at max
sleeping bag - at 2lbs, sounds like you've got a pretty light bag

Jamaica 8^)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?