Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 40 Next page Last page  View All

johnson6102002

Jan 6, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #76 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ask the NOOB [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
ATTENTION READERS: Ignore the response to this question. Hilti was only teasing when they started selling, I mean showing this tool, I mean joke.

Sorry man ... am I forgiven?

NOOOO your not forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Partner jammer

Jan 6, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #77 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUT ... BUT ... BUT ... damn, nobody likes me now, I'm going out back and eat a worm.

johnson6102002

Jan 6, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #78 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BUT ... BUT ... BUT ... damn, nobody likes me now, I'm going out back and eat a worm.

it better be one of those ones that looks like a snake!!!!!!!!!

viciado

Jan 6, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #79 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ATTENTION READERS: Ignore the response to this question. Hilti was only teasing when they started selling, I mean showing this tool, I mean joke.

Sorry man ... am I forgiven?

Hey, now. Don't knock it before you buy it and try it. (watch the credit card charges!) Those things are as serious as this thread. I have used the machine quite as often as I have applied all the good advice that has been spread in this topic of discussion!

by the way, hows the jaw now that you have the hook out?

Partner climboard

Jan 6, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #80 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear n00b- I heard a rumor from the girlfriend of guy who works at Bob's mountaineering that read in a magazine that Chris Sharma smokes banana peels. I want to be just like Sharma, where can I score some choice peels?

Partner jammer

Jan 6, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #81 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You're just a hard man to please! Hell, I'll eat two just for you! Ahhhh, does it have to have eyes? I hate eating things that are watching me ... they have a tendency of leaving images of small teardrops in my mind for when I dream.

subtle

Jan 6, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #82 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard a rumor from the girlfriend of guy who works at Bob's mountaineering that read in a magazine that Chris Sharma smokes banana peels. I want to be just like Sharma, where can I score some choice peels?

Get with the times, brah. Back in the day, climbers were all about lifestyle and being mellow and in tune with nature and...fruit...I guess. Nowadays, everybody is head-to-toe sponsored and thrutching for dollars on the comp circuit...there'll be plenty of time to chill when you turn 18 and retire...until then, it's all about getting paid. How else am I going to get on MTV's Cribs, yo? Heck, just the other day as I was beta-testing the video game I'm starring in (you navigate in a futuristic wasteland, climb V0- problems and...post things...to RC.com), I got a call from my soft drink sponsor and they were all like, "Hey, what's up with you drinking water on the podium at Crimp Pimps Live Tour 2005"?

Besides, your nutritionist isn't going to like the extra inhaled carbs.

Allez. Cheech. Chong.

dynosore

Jan 6, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #83 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear NOOB:

When lowering people with a grigri, I've found that their is too much friction required on my rope hand, so I open my belay biner and make a couple wraps with the loose end of the rope to increase friction. :D Is their an easier way?

subtle

Jan 6, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #84 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When lowering people with a grigri, I've found that their is too much friction required on my rope hand, so I open my belay biner and make a couple wraps with the loose end of the rope to increase friction. :D Is their an easier way?

Oh sure, tons. You could go with the ultra-cool belaying glove...either construction, gardening or special purpose. You can cut off the fingertips to be all special forces commando-styley, too...like you might have rapped in off a blacked-out CIA chopper and decided to run a few laps on a 5.8- before toppling a small government.

Not me, though. I use an oven mitt. C'mon, if it can handle a red-hot sheet full of chocolate chip cookies, your weasly 9.8mm cord isn't even going to register. It's also not going to taste as good, though. Bummer. Feeding slack with an oven mitt on takes a little getting used to, though, but your pinch strength will be rad, bro.

Allez. Homard.

johnson6102002

Jan 6, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #85 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

You're just a hard man to please! Hell, I'll eat two just for you! Ahhhh, does it have to have eyes? I hate eating things that are watching me ... they have a tendency of leaving images of small teardrops in my mind for when I dream.

nope no eyes neccassary and things are fine now BUT i still want one of them guns

Partner wideguy

Jan 6, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #86 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear N00b,

There aren't alot of "boulders" near me but I see alot of those cement highway barrier things. I figure training on them by doing laps would be cool. Do you know what the sit start on one is ? And if i stacked 3 or 4 on top of each other would that move the grade up or would it just become a sport climb?

Keep up the good advice.

Gumby

Partner cracklover

Jan 6, 2005, 8:24 PM
Post #87 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear Dr Noob, I have this burning itching throbbing feeling in my crotch, my butt hurts real bad, and I'm afraid I may have contracted some terrible disease. Is there anything a doctor can do, or am I now a sport climber-4-lyfe?

GO

subtle

Jan 6, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #88 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There aren't alot of "boulders" near me but I see alot of those cement highway barrier things. I figure training on them by doing laps would be cool. Do you know what the sit start on one is ? And if i stacked 3 or 4 on top of each other would that move the grade up or would it just become a sport climb?

Well, looking at the end of your typical concrete highway barrier...it's exactly (exactly kinda?) shaped like the problem Atari, which is up on the canyon rim at the Happy Boulders...except it's 3 feet tall and made of cement...and in a highway. Atari goes at V6, so you're probably going to want to warm up on the slabby side of the barrier first. Another similarity with Atari would be the hideous landing, although nobody in Bishop has ever been trucked by a grandma in a Subaru when missing the crux move...to my knowledge, at any rate.

495 South is usually in the shade in the early morning, so the friction should be primo. Get your send on, brother.

Allez. Homard.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Jan 6, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #89 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear nOOb:

I hope you can help as you've helped my baby_brother aikibujin with his chopstick dilema - and thank you, now when he comes down this weekend to climb, he will not be at a loss! (Oh and do you think it's a good idea that his chopsticks are metal vs wood? I told him the metal ones could do some serious damage).

I've tried beano; I've tried pinchin' ma cheeks; and I've even made sure that I all extra air inside my spincter was pushed out pre-climb... However, as my baby_brother and I sat atop this glorious moutainside... I no longer could hold in my "love" and proceeded to past wind... Thankfully, he's family so it's okay... However, any tips to keep the air sounding less full of bASS and ODORifourous?

gASS_FUlly,

BLK

arjunrattan

Jan 6, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #90 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey NOOB you are indeed the god of climbing..we are are really lucky and eternally gratefull and honoured to have you among us mere mortals..

i have a quesion..why do ppl go climbing?? ppl say its for the view, they get inner peace blah blah bull crap... :? :? I say its to score points with those super fit climbing chicks (ima guy here...)

which brings me to the next part of my quesion?? im climbing real hard...sent my first v0- yest..still im not able to get those climber gals' attension..please help...i mean this is the reason ppl climb right...peace

fjclimbsrocks

Jan 7, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #91 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear NOOB,
How do you get the rope up there??? I saw that all you need for a toprope at the gym is a rope and two locking carabiners, so I bought a rope and two biners and went straight to el cap. You must need a 6,000 foot rope to top rope that b@stard!! Hence the question...how do you get the rope up there?????

arjunrattan

Jan 7, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #92 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey NOOB you are indeed the god of climbing..we are are really lucky and eternally gratefull and honoured to have you among us mere mortals..

i have a quesion..why do ppl go climbing?? ppl say its for the view, they get inner peace blah blah bull crap.. :? :? . I say its to score points with those super fit climbing chicks (ima guy here...)

which brings me to the next part of my quesion?? im climbing real hard...sent my first v0- yest..still im not able to get those climber gals' attension..please help...i mean this is the reason ppl climb right...peace :? :?

jeep4evr

Jan 7, 2005, 7:29 AM
Post #93 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey nOOb, it's about time I find a REAL climbing authority on the web. I was afraid I'd have to resort to asking climbers in real life :shock:

Have a question for ya. Why don't people replace all the popular cam points on trad routes with bolts??? That way you're not lugging around heavy gear, and one can even eliminate quickdraws because they could pull themselves up through the bolt rings. Much easier if you ask me.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Jan 7, 2005, 1:31 PM
Post #94 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey NOOB you are indeed the god of climbing..

Hey wait your turn, bub - you've already posted this on page 6 - some of us are still waiting to hear from the Wise Sage himself~!

;) hehehhehhee :twisted:

subtle

Jan 7, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #95 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw that all you need for a toprope at the gym is a rope and two locking carabiners, so I bought a rope and two biners and went straight to el cap. You must need a 6,000 foot rope to top rope that b@stard!! Hence the question...how do you get the rope up there?????

I think you might be on to something there. With all of the latest work done to improve the standard of Big Wall Climbing...that stuff is just getting too hard. I mean, c'mon now, what am I supposed to do...dream of finding a nice jug-haul variant on Dihedral Wall? Hey, Tommy, you totally missed the good holds, brah! Oh, I know, I'll speed simul-solo the Nose...in 46 minutes...that'll show those pesky Hubers. Take that, you leather pants wearing freaks. Yah, Dieter, zees is the time on Sprockets when we climb! Yeh, right.

I think a solid top roping of El Cap would really do a lot to bring things back to a level that, say, your average gym climber could contemplate. I say you definately go rig yourself a nice 6000 foot top rope. Then get on there and hangdog the hell out of the bastard...make us 5.7+ climbers proud. Whine that there aren't any foot chips, that it's too sunny out, and that the route is poorly taped up. In fact, bring some tape and put up your own route. Pink would look good.

I'll totally belay you on the proj. I'll be right back, have to go get my lawn chair and grigri...

Allez. Sunscreen. Homard.

subtle

Jan 7, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #96 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
im climbing real hard...sent my first v0- yest..still im not able to get those climber gals' attension..please help...i mean this is the reason ppl climb right...peace :? :?

Attracting the attention of 'climber gals', eh? Have you not been paying attention? I'm a socially inept boulderer, man. I'm intimidated to the point of nearly peeing myself by pictures of women...if an actual woman talked to me I'd clearly spontanously combust...and pee myself. Why don't you just ask me something easy like...oh, I dunno...give you a workable Mideast Peace plan in 50 words or less...or re-sequence that genome doo-dad...sheesh. Well, you asked, so here goes.

Based on my furtive gym observations and extensive questioning of a sport climber who had a date once, here's what I have learned:

There is absolutely no way to impress women with your climbing ability. None. I mean, have you ever heard any of the following (outside of a daydream, natch):

"He's so hot, check out his crimp strength...I have to have him!"
"That's one sexy hunk of sloper slapper! He could totally rock over on me, girlfriend!"
"That beanie gets me so horny!"
"I dig a man who's free of the oppression of hygene!"
"Why can't I find a chalk-slathered near-mute emaciated sullen misanthrope to call my own! Why! WHY!"

Well, keep waiting, bro.

No, the sad fact is that the V7 hardwoman will somehow become fixated on the rental shoe gumb sporting a gold chain and the half gallon of Drakkar Noir. This is, sadly, the way of things. You will be crushed. You will be bitter.

You will send hard projects.

Allez. Cupid. Homard.

Partner jammer

Jan 7, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #97 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Handjammer48 wrote>
In reply to:
Dear NOOB,

Where can I get me one of those bolt guns I saw in Cliffhanger??? I really need one because I want to climb anywhere I want and this would allow me to do so. It'll also allow me to climb without a rope, yep, I saw him do it so you can't tell me it can't be done!

Thanks NOOB

Try this: http://hilti.20m.com/index.html

It's official! Taken from an email to their sales department: "Yes we do have that particular tool. We have also released a new tool called the DX 76, which is similar with a few changes. If you would like to discuss this item please contact me." Hollyweed came through with this one!!

arjunrattan

Jan 7, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #98 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="subtle"]
In reply to:
i
No, the sad fact is that the V7 hardwoman will somehow become fixated on the rental shoe gumb sporting a gold chain and the half gallon of Drakkar Noir. This is, sadly, the way of things. You will be crushed. You will be bitter.

You will send hard projects.

Allez. Cupid. Homard.

dude man...like ahahahaha you are fuunnnyy...seriosly consider a career as a stand up comic...that was funnnnnnyyyyy....ahahahahahahhahha :lol: :lol: :P :P

yorb

Jan 7, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #99 of 977 (157602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Noob, you've been VERY VERY Helpful, but i'm having a problem. I've been trying to get into ice climbing, but my chalk hasn't been keeping my hands dry and i still slip off the ice. I need some help here, people keep telling me to get ice axes, but they're all really good so i wanted to ask you

subtle

Jan 7, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #100 of 977 (157601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why don't people replace all the popular cam points on trad routes with bolts???

Your question is like an onion...layers and layers of complexity, some of which make you cry...some add a zesty kick to chili. Although I am only a 6th degree black belt in Trad, I will do my best to give it the answer it deserves.

The crux of your question is the word 'popular'...which has overtones of accepted practice, shared viewpoint, or maybe even group consensus. One could reasonably assume, therefore, that for something to be popular, at least two (sometimes more!) people have to agree on it. As near as I can tell, no two trad people have ever agreed on anything regarding gear, how to use it, where to get it, what to call it, or any other damn thing. While one Traddie swears that you have to protect the second pitch of You're On Crack 5.4+ with a dual-swaged woosy-flange and four knifeblade RP hexa-nuts, another will insist that he used a pinecone wrapped in tape...and only used that because he was 400 feet above his last placement and his belayer was psychotic with fear and urinating on the haul bag full of ham sandwiches.

But here's the miraculous thing. You have the power to unite the Trad community. All you have to do is...bolt up that line. Instantly, the entire howling pack of Traddies will converge, pirhana-like, on your proj in a malestrom of crowbars, Fleetwood Mac t-shirts and ham sandwiches. In ten seconds flat it'll be back the way nature intended, a pristine crack with no artifical pro...and the Traddies will be back to telling each other to STFU because a #5 Alien is clearly the gear for that placement.

Just as nature intended.

Allez Homard. Boltgun.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 40 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook