Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

wolfemom

Nov 17, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #101 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Re: Liz Clairborne aquires prAna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

If it were OVERpriced, no one would buy it. As it stands right now, the stuff doesn't stay on the racks. I'm well aware that many climbers feel that it is too expensive for them, but that doesn't qualify as overpriced.

WOO HOO for the dude who knows his economics!! I assume that those ripping on prAna buyers don't really mean to be so...well...intolerant, disparaging and condemnatory to their fellow climbers. But it really does come off that way.

I spend the money of prAna because I can. I imagine others are in the same boat. Yeah, the pants are $70 and when wearing them climbing I risk thrashing a pair of $70 pants. But I definitely get $70 worth of utility (economics term worth knowing) from getting dressed in the morning, looking nice enough to go to church or shopping at Nordstrom (*gasp*), being comfortable enough to sit on the floor while helping a spelling group in my kid’s 2nd grade class, and then ready to climb from 4pm-8pm. This is my life as I live it and prAna happens to accommodate MANY of my needs. I am grateful to have found something that actually fits, feels comfortable, looks nice, and is climbable. I gladly pay full retail and we can quite easily afford it. Does that make me less of a climber? I can give you a whole list of better reasons for judging me as a "poser" or not a "real" climber (I only sport lead 5.9s and I refuse to climb trad.) But if you are making that judgment based on the clothes I wear or my ability to pay for them - then that is WAY shallow.

Just to clarify, notch - all of the "you"s in the preceding paragraph were, of course, not referring to you.

I only hope that prAna breaks into the girls or juniors market because it is not easy finding school worthy, climbable, appropriate clothing for my nine year old. Thank goodness she is sensible and thinks that the “fashions” marketed to girls her age are ridiculously impractical.

-wolfemom

landgolier

Nov 17, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #102 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Re: Liz Claiborne aquires prAna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The "I totally paid attention in econ for like 5 minutes" quote wasn't mine, I think you misedited the quoted portion. Anyway, like I said, I don't care what gear anybody runs, but prana is a $20 pair of pants with a $40-60 logo on them. If that doesn't affect your bottom line, have fun in them, life's too short. Me, I look at a $60 pair of pants and go, "man, I should really pick up a max cam"

raymondjeffrey

Nov 17, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #103 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm confused. First Prana is owned by an American person or persons correct? And doesn't America enjoy a capilistic form of economic business? The answers to the aformentioned are 'yes'. So, good for Prana.

Also, you have to wear a specific brand or style of clothes to roll around and stretch on the floor while smelling 'Earthy' candles in the dark?

iltripp

Nov 17, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #104 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm confused. First Prana is owned by an American person or persons correct? And doesn't America enjoy a capilistic form of economic business? The answers to the aformentioned are 'yes'. So, good for Prana.

So are you saying that a smaller company being bought by a larger company is always a good thing? If so, than in what way?

Does the above have to occur to be "capitilistic"? To be American?

wolfemom

Nov 17, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #105 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The "I totally paid attention in econ for like 5 minutes" quote wasn't mine, I think you misedited the quoted portion.

Thanks for the heads up on the misquote. I edited my post.

-wolfemom (who wishes she was wearing prAna and climbing right now but sadly is nursing her daughter through strep throat and hasn't been able to climb for more than two hours in almost two weeks and is now desperately hoping the new antibiotic will work so that she can stop spending so much time on the computer and go CLIMB)

jl

Nov 18, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #106 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Owner of Prana, also owns No Fear And Spy Optic. He doesn't care about climbing he cares about money.

I have climbed with Beaver, the founder of prAna for over 13 years- so the following is not hear say but fact. Beaver's passion for climbing is the same passion that has grown prAna from his garage to a world renowned brand. Beaver does not have a lot of free time to climb (he works 60 - 70 hours a week) but when he gets out, he is super motivated and brings great energy to the crags. He truly cares about the outdoors as well as the climbing community, prAna's actions prove that. And yes, the 47 year old father of two can lead 5.12 and boulder V6 on any given day.

Partner hosh

Nov 18, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #107 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Grammicci
Prana
North Face
A5
Metolius
Black Diamond

All are brands I've never seen the value in owning. My Kavu's ($20) are sporting patches after a really f---ing hard year for them. I finally blew out my Carharts ($18 on sale) this month after several years, but it took "The Sender" to do it. Both are far thicker than anything Prana makes, and a wee bit cheaper.

So do you climb without cams? Metolius and BD make some of the best trad gear out there, and you never hear trad climbers walking around saying "Oh, that guy with the #4 Camalot is just such a poser".

A truly stupid statement cock_ninja. This thread is about clothing, not cams. Although I do not think that BD cams are worth it and I prefer Aliens over Metolius. Let's hear it for Mr. Reading Comprehension.

So, um, if it's all about clotihng, then why bring Metolius into it? they're not a clothing brand. Sure, they sell t-shirts and hoodies, but so does Dutch Brothers Coffee. That doesn't make them a clothing company...

http://www.dutchbros.com/

http://costore.com/...ar/catthumbnails.asp

hosh.

raymondjeffrey

Nov 18, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #108 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Methinks that the word 'always' is a relative term. We can all think of some exception to established economic mores, but in our current system business mergers often result in new and improved products for the consumer(s). Couple mergers with good ol' fashioned competition and products can't help but to evolve into better products and services for the consumers.

The innovation of the Prana owners were rewarded when Liz Claiborne offered to purchase their existing business with a price that they deemed acceptable.

iltripp

Nov 18, 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #109 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Couple mergers with good ol' fashioned competition and products can't help but to evolve into better products and services for the consumers.

Really... they can't help it, can they?

thegreytradster

Nov 18, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #110 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The Owner of Prana, also owns No Fear And Spy Optic. He doesn't care about climbing he cares about money.

I have climbed with Beaver, the founder of prAna for over 13 years- so the following is not hear say but fact. Beaver's passion for climbing is the same passion that has grown prAna from his garage to a world renowned brand. Beaver does not have a lot of free time to climb (he works 60 - 70 hours a week) but when he gets out, he is super motivated and brings great energy to the crags. He truly cares about the outdoors as well as the climbing community, prAna's actions prove that. And yes, the 47 year old father of two can lead 5.12 and boulder V6 on any given day.

Hope you get a piece of the action Jeff. :wink:

No more lumpy water buisiness?

I shouldn' be suprised at the rampant jealosy over the sucess of others. Just the nature of the beasts. But still disheartening.

wonderwoman

Nov 18, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #111 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I feel bad giving money away to the overseas big boys every time I go to REI.

Amen to that!

pico23

Nov 20, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #112 of 112 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For those of you who missed the press release, here it is:

http://biz.yahoo.com/...03/nyth247.html?.v=2

So what do the RC.com pundits make of this? Do you guys think that we'll be seeing any change in prAna products for the better or for the worst? Will it simply mean that we'll be able to find them elsewhere than just REI and climbing stores? What do you guys think?

P.S. please leave any "climbing is becoming popular and going down the drain" rants out of this thread.

Honestly who cares. I never found Prana to be amazing. I buy my cragging clothing at Target. I couldn't care less if my $9 coolmax t-shirt says pro spirit and not some fancy name. last just as long (or not long enough) and keeps me comfy.

For the winter I venture into name brand gear. but only to the point that it gets the job done.

If two mountaineering shells fit similarly and function the same I consider you an idiot for spending $200 more for the "better" name.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook